Marvel Goes to Hasbro in 2007

Gammabrain

As was stated before, as long as they keep to the 6' scale & 30+ POA, then it's no big deal to me. BTW, I was sure I had read somewhere that TB actually owned Marvel comics as they bought them back in 1999 when Marvel filed for bankruptcy. Hopefully if this is true, maybe we'll get a better chance at getting more waves a yr or at least more team boxsets of obscure teams such as Alpha Flight, Squadron Supreme, etc.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm....doesn't sound too bad at all.

Hell, if they actually go through with this, it would kick ass. It's a damn pain finding Marvel Legends, but the stores always seem to have a few new GI Joes and Star Wars and whatnot.

THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS THE BEGINnING OF THE END OF MARVEL LEGENDS!!!!!!!! Look at the crap they put out with this new Batman line. Look how terrible Killer Croc, Bane and Scarecrow are. This is the end. Watch. I was wondering when it would all end, and this is it, 2007. It was fun while it lasted.

Christina

THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS THE BEGINnING OF THE END OF MARVEL LEGENDS!!!!!!!! Look at the crap they put out with this new Batman line. Look how terrible Killer Croc, Bane and Scarecrow are. This is the end. Watch. I was wondering when it would all end, and this is it, 2007. It was fun while it lasted.

Christina

Hasbro is making them?

I guess some folks haven't read the quoted stuff from Fwoosh--hence the knee-jerk reactions.

Hasbro is only doing the actual manufacturing, Toybiz is still doing ALL the pre-production work including design and prototypes. Hasbro is literally just the factory.

This is a smart move because it can increase the qaulity control--Hasbro makes sound product with some of the best QC going.

Christina

Yeah, it would have been the end if Mattel, the makers of the DC Superheroes which includes Croc, Bane, and Scarecrow, had control of the Marvel license.

I've never bought a Hasbro figure with a loose joint or a bad paint job, so this is good news to me. With a modicum of persistence, Hasbro's stuff is able to be found, which is more than I can say for ML as is currently is.

This is freaking horrible. Now were stuck with 3 3/4'' hardly possible at all piece of s*it marvel figures. GOOD JOB MARVEL! I swear, it's freaking Star Wars, Lucas is the cause of all evil. Hasbro thinks it's all powerful with it's SW stuff and then BAM Hasbro takes over everything. SW caused them to get freaking greedy. I'm really ticked off, we better get out Zemo and stuff that was listed on the up and coming toy biz Marvel Legends list otherwise Im TICKED.

Christina

Yeah, it would have been the end if Mattel, the makers of the DC Superheroes which includes Croc, Bane, and Scarecrow, had control of the Marvel license.

I've never bought a Hasbro figure with a loose joint or a bad paint job, so this is good news to me. With a modicum of persistence, Hasbro's stuff is able to be found, which is more than I can say for ML as is currently is.

No loose joint, well gee I wonder why....maybe because there are hardly any joints to begin with! Also, if you haven't gotten a bad paint job from Hasbro, then you haven't been buying much from Hasbro.

I have confirmation today from a buyer in Hong Kong that this is happening. Hasbro will be making and distributing the new figures whatever form they take.

The good thing about Hasbro for consumers is that they wont have these weird FOB shipping schedules where you have the UK with ML 10 and Canada with ML 11 and the US with ML 9...they should be available at the same time just as every Hasbro figure is now.

I have confirmation today from a buyer in Hong Kong that this is happening. Hasbro will be making and distributing the new figures whatever form they take.

The good thing about Hasbro for consumers is that they wont have these weird FOB shipping schedules where you have the UK with ML 10 and Canada with ML 11 and the US with ML 9...they should be available at the same time just as every Hasbro figure is now.

Any idea if they are keeping the formula, large scale and a ton of articulation? Pretty much just picking off where Toybiz left off (last series toybiz makes in 2006, I‘m guessing series 14 or 15 being as 12 is out now)! I hope that they literally pick up where they left off, I don't want them completely restarting legends with a hasbro sculpted ironman, spiderman, wolverine and other characters we already have. It would be rather foolish not to keep toybiz's current formula, isn't articulation what made Legends so popular to begin with? The thing that scares me is that the Unleashed SW figures were so popular....and they ended though (though not for long, but that does show that they are not to bright sometimes). I'm just very very worried. As for Toybiz, well....what happens to them? Are they going under, merging with Hasbro or what?

After reading most of the posts in this thread, i'm pretty sure noone is reading my post quoting the stuff from fwoosh...can someone add it to the first post or something? It would calm people down. A lot.

Instead of having to deal with TBWW, a small-time manufacturer, Hasbro has better manufacturing techniques (believe it or not) and MUCH better distribution means..........

Hasbro will not reuse peices and parts like in Transformers. Because ToyBiz designs and owns the molds, they decide if they want to reuse the parts, they decide the waves, what goes in them, etc. TB remains the brains, Hasbro the manufacturing.

If this is true, it looks like a win-win situaion. Hopefully, Hasbros involvement will not raise costs therefore raise prices. As a collector of many of Hasbros' Star Wars lines I know they can overprice some lines. Their VOTC line (super articulated action figures) were $10 a pop (and they had no where near the articulation as MLs). For a "small time manufacturer" and having poorer distribution, Toybiz was able to give us superior figures to Hasbros (and most other manufacurers) for $6-$8.

Any idea if they are keeping the formula, large scale and a ton of articulation? Pretty much just picking off where Toybiz left off (last series toybiz makes in 2006, I‘m guessing series 14 or 15 being as 12 is out now)! I hope that they literally pick up where they left off, I don't want them completely restarting legends with a hasbro sculpted ironman, spiderman, wolverine and other characters we already have. It would be rather foolish not to keep toybiz's current formula, isn't articulation what made Legends so popular to begin with? The thing that scares me is that the Unleashed SW figures were so popular....and they ended though (though not for long, but that does show that they are not to bright sometimes). I'm just very very worried. As for Toybiz, well....what happens to them? Are they going under, merging with Hasbro or what?

The first thing I heard today was that Hasbro bought Toy Biz outright. Then I heard that wasnt true and that it was just the license going to Hasbro. And another thing I heard was that Toy Biz in the US (The arm that Jesse Falcon works for) is still there making the stuff and that Hasbro will manufacture and distribute. I dont know if they are starting again new or just continuing form the Toy Biz lines.

Marvel owns all the tooling so I can pretty much guess that Hasbro will use alot of the stuff again for Spider-Man 3 but cannot say for sure.

The HK Toy Fair continues this week - so hopefully more info is coming out of it!

What is wrong with some of you people? Why don't you read the long post on page one that actually EXPLAINS what is going to happen before you start crying about something that will not be affected at all. Sheesh!

I will be okay with it if the only thing that changes is the logo on the packaging! @lol@

Hasbro has the potential to really improve the line, but from what I have seen in the 3 3/4 GiJoe line, I am worried.. Now, sigma Six have great quality and stuff, but horrible designs!

so if they just let everything be the same, with improved factory work, I will be okay with this.. But I don't want any Hasbro employees getting in on the design of these toys.. they suck

Hey kids. Now on sale. New coke. We took all the taste that regular coke had and tossed it to try and get the 3% of the population that doesn't like coke to like it...oh wait..the 97% who did like it don't drink it anymore? hey look..classic coke with the old taste and a new can look..we are sorry for screwing up what was already a good line.

Seriously. More Recognizable characters and so on just sound like hey. marvel legends series 17 featuring wolverine...7 of him. Oh and ummm..deaths head to hush up those people who like other characters..Enjoy!

This is a scary thing to think that next year I will be wrapping up my collection of legends with the last series before the fall of the good marvel toys.

Yes they have done some crap sculpts in toy biz. Every company has done that. And this year is a good/teribly overdone year. 4 or 5 more waves that are trying to get out and all the other stuff including SMC FFC 12 inch figs and so on X10.

The one and only good thing that would come from the sale of marvel to hasbro is distribution. But if they are distributing crap on a wide scale then it will just be a large display of toys you walk by wishing it was a 4 or 5 peg assortment of some of the figures your looking for from toy biz.

But hey..I could be wrong

I deeply hope i am wrong

The first figure I see that resembles any of that DC Superheroes crap & I'm gone! For mr to continue collecting Legends, a few things need to happen.

1) The name has to stay "Marvel Legends"

2) The similarity in design from one ML to the next (keep the same sculptors).

3) The quality stays the same or better.

4) They stay current with the 1 inch = 1 foot. (or as close as they can).

If any of these criteria change too drastically, they'll have lost a very good customer in me...I know, one little cog in the big wheel doesn't mean much, but if more folks feel or do the same, this could mean disaster for ML collecting.

Hmm.. So basically we get everything Toy Biz plans this year through ML 14 and 15? Plus the Wal-Mart exclusives, right? Then we get the changeover to Hasbro who might do more of the same that Toy Bizz did. Interesting. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens. Perhaps this will make ML's 13, 14 and 15 more sweeter because all I need from those lines are: Quicksilver, Wasp, Falcon, Cage, Psylocke and Spider-Woman.

Edited by Cferra

Doesn't sound like a bad thing at all long as that long post is correct, heck should be way better for the line, i get Joes and TFs alot so i know Hasbro has good quality stuff.

Sure the price could possibly go up a doller or two but that wouldn't be the end of the line would it? hehe.

Christina

Uh, you DO know that Hasbro does NOT make those DC figures you listed, right? That would be Mattel.

Hasbro (for the most part) makes excellent action figures. Just look at most of ROTS, Sigma Six (quality wise) and TRansformers.

This is freaking horrible. Now were stuck with 3 3/4'' hardly possible at all piece of s*it marvel figures. GOOD JOB MARVEL! I swear, it's freaking Star Wars, Lucas is the cause of all evil. Hasbro thinks it's all powerful with it's SW stuff and then BAM Hasbro takes over everything. SW caused them to get freaking greedy. I'm really ticked off, we better get out Zemo and stuff that was listed on the up and coming toy biz Marvel Legends list otherwise Im TICKED.

No loose joint, well gee I wonder why....maybe because there are hardly any joints to begin with! Also, if you haven't gotten a bad paint job from Hasbro, then you haven't been buying much from Hasbro.

What is wrong with you? Did you not read that Hasbro will manufacture and distribute while Toy Biz designs the figures and wave contents?

And it's George Lucas' fault that Hasbro got part of the liscense?

And where did you read that the new MArvels are 3 3/4"?

Oh, that's right, you made that part up.

Sheesh.

Good thang most of you guys like the idea of Hasbro taking over....

Either you dont' know about the Kenner/Hasbro take over Star wars & how the price on those figs raised up high afterwards...

& you guys dont' know about how Hasbro distributes their Alternators Transformers.... they have a tendency of shipping only a certain amount to certain areas..

Also like GI JOEs'... all they do is repaints... & hasbro is known to do that with Transformers too... that it kills the idea of

collecting at times..

So I see it as a Bad THANG!

So you guys will have to wait over a year to find out....

To me this dosnt sound to bad at first. But when you think about it, Hasbro is a much bigger company than Toybiz. So what Toybiz sees as profitable, Hasbro may not. This could be very bad for fans of such lines as Figure Factory and Super Hero Showdown. Maybe even the classics lines as well. With Hasbro paying for the production and distribution of these things, they are going to have to do at least as well as Hasbros poorest selling line to continue. But with much better distribution these may have a chance to do just that. BUt we will see.

Honestly I am really shocked at this news. If anyone, I would have figured Jakks or Playmates would have tried to do somethign like this. Im pretty sure both companies are bigger than Toybiz, and they both have a marvel license of some sort already. I guess we can expect to see no more Tv games or Battle dice. Hasbro likes to control things, and they could easily make similar products on their own. Again this is just a wait and see thing. But at least we have a whole year of greatness coming. Oh yeah one more thing..... Hasbro can get big boxed items on shelves. Even if they dont sell well. Just look at the Star Wars vehicles. We may just see a Fin Fang Foom after all.