The NFL Coaching Carousel Hits Into High Gear

Ugly Bulldog

So far, we have six coaches not returning next season.

--Mike Tice (Vikings)

--Mike Sherman (Packers)

--Jim Haslett (Saints)

--Dom Capers (Texans)

--Mike Martz (Rams)

--Dick Vermeil (Chiefs)

The Tice firing was expected. So what if they finished with a winning record. No one seems to take him as a good coach. I just loved the selfish comment the Vikings owner made after firing, saying something like "money isn't an object for me to get myself a championship."

Sherman's firing doesn't really hurt him towards getting a new job. It's not Sherman's fault that half the roster were on the IR. For the Packers replacement, I have no idea what they'll do. Steve Mariucci seems like the most logical choice to me, but I've talked to a lot of people who don't think that's a good option at all. (Mariucci was Favre's QB coach in the early 90's in Green Bay).

Haslett, Capers, and Martz's firings were expected.

Vermeil stepping down isn't a big surprise, but nevertheless, he did a great job.

Edited by Ugly Bulldog

I think Sherman got the hose on that one...

Well I really dont think to many of these coaches are going to get Head Coach positions for awhile...maybe Sherman, but thats it...I think they will either sit out or become some kind of coordinator...

Tice is have a hard time finding work, unless the Raider pick him up, depends if Moss liked him while at Minnesota...

I think the Packers should have given Sherman one more season, solely based on his previous record. He had a winning season every year he's been in Green Bay. He kept the team motivated when you had Pro Bowl players like Javon Walker, Ahman Green, Mike Flanagan, and Bubba Franks on the injury list every week (not to mention Najeh Davenport, Robert Ferguson, Terrence Murphy, Tony Fisher, and Samkon Gado also going down during the season). No one can have a winning team when all your offensive weapons are on the sidelines in casts and crutches.

It looks like Herm Edwards will leave the Jets for KC. :)

Looks like its official.

I dont know whether to be saddened by this, or to be excited about it. Im a jet fan (second to cincy) cause i live in NY, but I never really hated or liked Herm Edwards, he was sort of just there for me. I think it was that I liked his attitude toward the game but not the plays he called on the field. However, Im happy for him and I only wish him the best of luck in KC.

Onto other matters, who will replace him?...I dont know.

Is Norv Turner gone? I'm a Raider fan and I really don't want to see him go yet. I think Oakland needs some consistency. They've had too many coaches and I don't see how any team can "get it together" if the coaching position is a revolving door. They need to get a system in place and work in that system. I think Turner will be ok if he is given another year or so.

Now if he is gone, I'd like to see Martz come in and see if he can open up the Raider offense like what was in St. Louis.

Packers hired Mike McCarthy last week. What's up with the Packers hiring another coach named Mike? Holmgren, Sherman, now McCarthy.

I don't get why they hired McCarthy at all. He was the offensive coordinator for the 49ers last season. The same 49ers who finished 3-13 (or 4-12). So what if he coached one season with the Packers. I don't get this hire.

Has Norv Turner ever had a winning record? Somehow he keeps getting head coach jobs, yet he always seems to finish 4-12 after every season.

He just got hired on w/the 9ers as an offensive coordinator...odd because despite having a huge arsenal of weapons my beloved Raiders werent exactly an offensive juggernaut.

So far, we have six coaches not returning next season.

--Mike Tice (Vikings)

--Mike Sherman (Packers)

--Jim Haslett (Saints)

--Dom Capers (Texans)

--Mike Martz (Rams)

--Dick Vermeil (Chiefs)

The Tice firing was expected. So what if they finished with a winning record. No one seems to take him as a good coach. I just loved the selfish comment the Vikings owner made after firing, saying something like "money isn't an object for me to get myself a championship."

Sherman's firing doesn't really hurt him towards getting a new job. It's not Sherman's fault that half the roster were on the IR. For the Packers replacement, I have no idea what they'll do. Steve Mariucci seems like the most logical choice to me, but I've talked to a lot of people who don't think that's a good option at all. (Mariucci was Favre's QB coach in the early 90's in Green Bay).

Haslett, Capers, and Martz's firings were expected.

Vermeil stepping down isn't a big surprise, but nevertheless, he did a great job.

Come on, you just wanted Tice back because he's a horrible coach and it makes the Vikings worse. Be honest. ;):)

Mr. Wilf got the man he wanted. He didn't have to keep Tice around as long as he did. Tice was constantly outcoached, never figured out how to manage the clock, scalped tickets and embarrased the team, was bad with discipline, made up stupid things like "the Randy Ratio" and publicly criticized certain players while coddling others who should have been kicked in the @ss. I am glad he's gone. I don't know if Childress is the answer, but he seems to be setting things up that look promising. He is all about discipline, which the Vikings haven't had in a long time, and he hopefully learned from Andy Reid. He has the coaches he wanted unlike Tice, who had to settle for cheap because the previous owner was a scumbag. Maybe Tice would have done better with a better staff, but my guess is he wouldn't have. The man was not ready to be a HC. I would like to see him as an announcer because he can be funny.

I am also puzzled by the HC choice for the Pack. This guy doesn't seem to be a good or even decent choice, but I think their management misses Ron Wolf. He knew his stuff. I think Mariucci would have been a better choice. He got the shaft in Detroilet when Millen should have.

Here's a rumor from the St Paul Pioneer Press-Daunte Culpepper might be traded to the Raiders if he heals up. Al Davis loves to take chances on people. A Moss-Culpepper reunion might be a good shot for the Raiders offense if Moss can forgive Culpepper for basically causing him to be traded.

Edited by Jack