G.I. Joe Movie Script Review

BrotherShane

I don't know if you guys saw this yet, but JoeGuide.com has a link to a script review of the upcoming G.I. Joe movie by Paramount.

It actually doesn't sound half bad. Now if Paramount just comes up with the right onscreen look for the Joes, COBRA and its legions and some great onscreen battles it should be a hit. The origin story that's been thought up for COBRA Commander I liked a lot more then any other ever suggested in either the Marvel comics or Sunbow cartoon series.

Definitely peaked my interest.

No Cobra Commander, how sad.

There is a Cobra Commander. He's just apparently, I'm guessing, just called 'Cobra.'

Yes, I agree it sounds interesting. The plot sounds a little along the VvV storyline, although without the animal DNA. I hope it turns out to be good, I really wish they'd use Roadbloack instead of HD and someone besides Hi-Tech.

I kinda have mix feelings of the script. one I dont like them using 2 new joes(HD and Hi Tech) I dont like them using the venomizing concept and to use it on a former joe anmed Rex who becomes Cobra(or CC), doesnt make sense. IF I was coming up with a script, I would start the movie with a bunch of blueshirts stealing something and leave Cobra's calling card. and it would involve the US military and thats how GI joe is formed.

Also I DONT like how they did Storm Shadow's backstory w/ SE. I wish they would use Hama's backstory about SE/SS being former army vets(if you make them nam vets they would be too old in present time) and after a tour of duty , SE goes off with Storm shadow to learn the family business.

I agree with you, Zanzibar. To me this story plot seems like a rehash of "Goldeneye", with the SS/SE backstory a DIRECT rehash of "The Octagon".

Shoulda been based on the first Marvel issue.

I agree here, too. I actually 'daydreamed' this one back in the day. "Lady Doomsday" WAS the G.I. Joe movie! :D

Is it live action or animated?

I don't follow the comics, but I've spoken with enough people at the comic shops about them to have a reasonable grasp of the main themes etc.

It'd make more sense, to me, if CC was some kind of disgruntled Government agent with access to all the cool blueprints for weapons, hence ow cobra gets so well-equipped. The former Joe idea isn't bad.

I can dig.

Do we get Iron Grenadiers?

I like the idea of a Cobra Commander origin story, if it turns out that's what the Rex/Cobra plot line is. A very cool way to begin a franchise, which is what it sounds like they are going for. Here's hoping it's at least good enough to get us a second movie.

keep in mind that jsut because there's a script doesn't mean anything. there's been a scripts floating around for a watchmen movie since 1992. paramount even had a website up for a while last summer, then decided to shelf the project. until theres a cast, director and they start filming will i beliee there's a joe movie happening. ill keep my fingers crossed, cuz i think we'll see ajoe movie before we ever see a watchmen one...

I don't like the idea of Destro being behind the "creation" of Cobra Commander. It ruins the whole Cobra Commander/Destro rivalry. It would be like Dr. Mindbender bickering with Serpentor about who is the better of the two. Not only that but the only reason Cobra Commander is an evil terrorist is because of this? LAME. And why use this guy named Rex? It reeks not only of the VvV storyline with Venomus Maximus/Hawk but the Charlie/Blanka storyline from Street Fighter The Movie. PUKE! I'm also not pleased with the use of Heavy Duty and Hi-Tech. It would be better to use characters that 20 and 30 somethings will remember from the old cartoon. How about Roadblock and either Mainframe, Dial-Tone or Breaker? And shouldn't Joe Colton be worked into this somehow for people who grew up with Joe in the 60s and 70s? I'd rather HE be the "Obi-Wan" to Cobra Commander's "Anakin" than Duke.

I'm not sure what to make of this. I don't expect a joe movie to be completely faithful to what the fans know, but this seems to hardly resemble joe continuity at all. And I have a lot of trouble with them not having a traditional CC. Talk about missed oppurtunities.

it sounds like typical hollywood B movie scripts that tank in the fisrt week of opening, i seriously hope they find someone to write this, whats joe with out Cobra, and why would you make up a new begininng of Joe, ...

dont recall having the Xmen drop into a sewer full of ooze, and then becoming mutants!

its crap, its either fake or... the REAL end of Joe, cuz a movie with that kinda redo of the story is a tanker at best@

Sounds to me like it is going to be pretty kid oriented. PG-13 at best. Which is fine. I wasn't expecting to see a great Platoon-esk film with the joe characters anyway. But the use of High Tech and Heavy Duty pretty much lead me to beleive that this movie is not being made for us 20-30 somethings. This is clearly aimed at 10 year olds. But I don't have a problem with that. That is what gi joe has always been. Something for younger kids that also appeals to some adults.

To joe collectors, this movie will probably be crap. The people making this movie KNOW that any gi joe fan/collector will see this movie despite its correspondance with the actual gi joe story line. They are definately going to change it so much that it is just going to be an cool action movie to atract the masses with a gi joe name. It will not satisfy any joe collectors i bet, as many, many things will be completely innacurate. It wouldnt surprise me if destro didnt have a steel mask. Hopefully they can do something in the middle like the x-men movies.

-saboteur

My unprofessional and unqualified opinion?

4-director.gifMake it appeal to action/adventure/Sci-Fi fandom in general, and not worry about anything like continuity with cartoons and comics, and FOR THE LOVE OF PETE Hasbro....don't make it kiddie-fied! <_<

Pretend like it's a popular video game instead, and go with the feel of say DOOM...

doomsoldiers9lz.png

Even if it's a PG-13 rating for violence and such, that will appease the teenagers and adult Joe fans, and it will become the talk of that age group, which will be undoubtedly PICKED UP ON by the younger set, and they will in turn want to see what all the fuss is about and be part of the interest in G.I.Joe suddenly, even if they can only turn to the Sigma Six cartoons or other kid friendly means available to them.

This will be a much needed adrenaline BOOST for the fandom and mythos of G.I.Joe, and damnit...it's WAR against COBRA and villains and even gene-spliced freakoid CREATURES if necessary, so the gratuitous VIOLENCE is going to be there.....just don't dumb it up.

The popular characters of ARAH are all that's needed, and any story of one of the MANY adventures and missions they've been through, in dealing with the threats of COBRA and it's armies, this could just be ONE of them, and get right to the action without any boring BS to catch up (or follow) some lame continuity for the anal retentive die-hard fans of either a comic book or cartoon.

If they're going to be that picky and stubborn about what to expect....the hell with'em. AIM higher and maybe attract an entirely all new fanbase, blown away by a cool movie about G.I.Joe, and expand the line a little bit, build on it, and watch the kids start clamouring to see what all this G.I.Joe business is, if thaey haven't already, because of Sigma Six.

That's my opinion anyway! ;)

"maybe it'll be a Sigma SIX Movie!!!! I'm excited now!"

________________brutal425rc.gif____"SHUT UP YOU!!"_______

@smilepunch@