Will NBC ruin the 2006 Olympics?

Three Storms

Will NBC ruin the 2006 Olympics?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. 2006 Winter Olympics

• No; we always need more commercials and interviews; I don;t like watching it live and uncut anyway
    • Hell yes they'll ruin it

I know I will only be watching Team Canada in the hockey tournament on some Canadian channel but I did see what happened last itme and yeah I can't see them showing much live with the 8 hr delay, and I know US televisions main focus is commercials, expect there to be way too much during the olympics. What other channels will carry olympics activities for you guys south of the border?? OLN???

When CBS had the olympics and were covering it from Europe, they showed the live events all morning long well into the evening there, which was early afternoon here. Then in the evening they would show the tape-delayed (and uncut full) events that went on simultaneously with other events shown earlier. Their coverage kicked ass.

NBC has a habit of showing nothing live, condensing each event down to the top five or ten competitors, loading it with tons of interviews and "mini-documentaries" showing the "struggles" of the athletes (in other words, fluff) and ram it into two or three hours in the evening (the fluff take away from what little events they do show). A lot of events didn't get covered at all, and their scores only shown.

It didn't take long before this method causes a back-log to where events are shown one or two days after they occurred as NBC crams then in whenever they can. News channels will go over who won what, and you won't see it until much much later or the next day when NBC finally decides to show it.

In other words, NBC's coverage of these past few Olympic games has been as p*ss-poor as humanly possible.

Rooting for Americans to beat ANYTHING besides each other...is politically incorrect!

<_< or so it would seem...these days?

I lost interest in the Olympics years ago, and barely clinging on to the last of my favorite sports period, as they just don't have the same feel to them anymore, and have become merely for entertainment value. Even Sports hads it's "hero's" in the old days, but now it's just a "job" to these new athletes, that requires unions and more and more pay.

I doubt I'll watch the Olympics, regardless of the network that airs it.

With the 2004 Summer Olympics, I actually thought NBC did a very good. I liked the fact you could have your choice of sport between NBC, MSNBC, CNBC, USA, and some other network that's escaping my mind at the moment. I disliked NBC's previous efforts, but I thought the last one went very well.

• 3 weeks later...

They always make a mess out of it, I can't see why it would be any different this time around. :(

Go TO the Olympics then? WEll, to be honest I have no clue where the Olympics are gonna be held @ ... I lost track! But I went to the 97 Olympics in Atlanta, Ga. That was awesome!!! I think everyone should go @ least once in their lives! :P

• 2 weeks later...

I hate their coverage, I dont care about their struggles or any other interviews, I just wanna see some action.

Exactly! That's what I want too. All that fluff does is take away from what little time they dedicate to the coverage. I don't remember a single event in the last olympics in which it was shown 100% in it's entirety with ALL competitors instead of just the top five to ten.

Looks like they're already starting to screw it up. It's tape-delayed by nearly half a day, and so far, they've shown nothing but fluff.

Does anyone know of any site that streams the coverage?

Edit: Now they're showing skiing. They have yet to show the opening ceremony, and are already jumping off into the games. NBC sucks balls. @hmmm@

You do realize that Turin is 6 hours ahread of EST and live coverage of events in prime time is impossible.

MSNBC, CNBC, USA and Universal-HD are also showing the games as well. Those channels are more geared towards just the events.

The prime time broadcasts are geared for the 'casual' fan watching.

It's pretty simple, really.

Not in prime time, but live as they occur. Everything doesn't have to be prime time. Take today, for example. It's a Saturday, in which more people are home, and do they show a single live event? Hell no everything's tape-delayed and trimmed down anyway.

The problem is NBC wants everything to be prime time, which messes up the coverage. How would football and basketball fans like it if they never got to see live games and only got to see edited-for-time highlights? Imagine the super bowl, the NBA finals and thebaseball world series all crammed together in a three-hour time slot, with each heavily cut down for time. They wouldn't take it at all, but that's what fans of various olympic events have to put up with thanks to NBC.

It's BS that medal counts for the day are knows as much as a day before their given events finally air.