Some news on the future of the DTC line

Blackmada

Have the rest of you heard anything like this yet?

My half brothers dad told me he heard some news. I don't know wherehe got it from so I called Hasbro to see what they could tell me about it and confirm what he said.. I Hasbro every once in awhile just to see what I can get from them.

In the topic here about how much we have spent it was mentioned that the line would stop at wave 5 and no more vehicles were expected.

I was told that they are planning to go to wave 6 but could not tell me who would be in the waves 4-6. From what I understood the comic packs would only continue through wave 6 and not beyond. So the end is either wave 5 or 6.

No more vehicles. I asked why and was told they didnot sell enough. I asked about exlusives to TRU and there are none planned. They said something about a new Rattler and another vehicle was being made but was cancelled. Nothing new there but I wish they would havemade the rattler.

The lady I talked to was just whoever was there doing customer service. Sometimes I get accurate info and others I don't.

Hopefully the line will keep going and they have not made up their minds already to stop it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man I really hope this isnt the case, I would hate for it to end. As for stuff not selling well I could see that being a possibility if Hasbro made mass quantites like they were selling stuff to stores instead of doing it online. I can also see this being a possibility if the prices were to high. I understand u need to make a profit, but the prices should be lower some so more people could adfford it. If they had the figures at 2.99 in the begining I know I would have purchased alot more. U can only sell so many vehicles and figures through an online avenue. Im suprised though cause it seemed like everything was doing very well. I swear some of the stuff was sold out at one point. We will see though.

This sounds like the Cobra Island thread.

I never read the whole thing. Did they mention comic packs in that thread or the rattler. It's looking to me like this is what everyone at Hasbro has been told to say to anyone who asks about the line.

I really wish they would at least continue the comic packs. Even if it was just a few a year exclusive to somewhere.

After the news of the hiatus in '05 I thought Valor vs Venom was the end of the line, so anything beyond that is all a bonus for me. So far its been a pretty big one. I just wish they would advertise DTC more instead of sitting on it and saying its not selling.

Ryan

This sounds like the Cobra Island thread.

I never read the whole thing. Did they mention comic packs in that thread or the rattler. It's looking to me like this is what everyone at Hasbro has been told to say to anyone who asks about the line.

I really wish they would at least continue the comic packs. Even if it was just a few a year exclusive to somewhere.

Yep.The Rattler 2 was suppose to be the big box item of the year.It was hinted in the Cobra Island thread that Wave 5 would be the end of DTC.In that wave we're suppose to get the Sigma Six type Cobra Commander,a grey camo Firefly repaint(i believe it's the VvsV mold but it could be the great BTR one),and it was said that alot of BTR body pieces would be used(Flint head and torso?,Shadow Viper mold?Avac?).It was also stated in the post that Target and TRU both missed Gijoe on their shelves.It was said that we may find out something about the line returning to retail in fall of 06 at toy fair.I'm holding out hope for single packs in TRU and Target.

If GI Joe does make a return to retail in '06, I would imagine they'd start off with the DTC stuff that's already been released. I mean, they have the molds, the stuff looks cool and it hasn't been seen at brick and mortor retail stores yet. This means it would probably be another year before we actually started to see new stuff. Even though that's a long wait, I'd just be happy to know Joe has a future.

my guess... (i dont know anything either!)

Joe comes back in the fall to Target and TRU,... they come back as "retro styled single packs" (DTC) . the rerelease the figures from all the waves, but in a first 2 waves, kinda like a "best sellers from online" type deal... they are realeased with the RHINO, ROCC, and Night Hv. this is the first glimpse of a full return to joe... Sigma Six, turns into a "small kid" line to wear larger accesories allow younger kids to get in, while the 3'3/4 line continues serving the 7 years olds and collectors, thus the line following the cartoon and we have Joe reborn on the pegs like old days.

hoping that the sales prove them selves, Walmart jumps back in and the Joes line gets a long awaited top seat in the toy isle!

;)

Maybe all this ultimate gloom and doom forecasting and expectations as to when the line is ACTUALLY or OFFICIALLY going to end, is what's making it hard for me to get as enthused about them, as it's always harder to deal with the demise of a hobby you're REALLY into and lovin' each and every offering, than it would be otherwise.

Finding fault in all the stuff might just be making the impending END a little easier to take, when it finally gets here, by convincing ourselves that "eh...it was kinda sucking mostly anyway" ^_^

I never know what to believe about how well or how badly any of it's REALLY doing anyway, as we all like to speculate and make predictions based off of what WE think is only logical or to be expected, and we all know how well that usually turns out for those that take the leap of faith, and run with a theory, as though it's "most likely". @lol@

I'm still waiting for the stuff that will knock my socks off.....but so far, it's only bunching them up around my ankles, and I HATE when my socks do that!!! ;)

After the news of the hiatus in '05 I thought Valor vs Venom was the end of the line, so anything beyond that is all a bonus for me. So far its been a pretty big one. I just wish they would advertise DTC more instead of sitting on it and saying its not selling.

Ryan

My feelings exactly. Who knows they maybe ending the DTC line so they can put it in stores. Oh well I dealt with this months ago during the hiatus. Hasbro could have given up on it then. It looks like they are willing to do whatever they can to keep it going so I'll have faith that we will continue to see 3 3/4 Joes somewhere.

No more vehicles. I asked why and was told they didnot sell enough. I asked about exlusives to TRU and there are none planned. They said something about a new Rattler and another vehicle was being made but was cancelled. Nothing new there but I wish they would havemade the rattler.

Did you ask about RAH vehicles? The H.I.S.S. II, Stun and Dreadnok Cycle should still be around.

If this information IS true, that probably means we won't be seeing a lot of new sculpts in these last waves. Unless, of course, they want to make the line last.

I just hope this...

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/displayaway/cc1.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/displayaway/cc2.jpg

Cobra Commander is included in one of the last waves! and the camo Firefly.

Still waiting for Wave 3 will show up @ Hasbrotoyshop.com

I know they are up at some estores but $8.00 per Cobra Trooper is a bit pricey.

We can't really blame Hasbro, we are a tough crowd. After reading the Wave 3 spyshot threads, they figured it's a wrap. They got fed up and I'm greatful for what we've gotten. But nonetheless, they could have done better on some. Who knows..why would they can the line if there's another Con coming up. I know it ain't all for Sigma 6. Rumors rumors.

If so ...bummer.

True, so do I, if not there is always the gijcc that will have exclusives which I plan on getting too. I guess we will hear more after the next toy fair, or perhaps we will have to wait for the next con.

i just hope we have gijoe

Hmmm... Sales are low for the store or perhaps people are going to other online stores perhaps because it's a bit lower or they get a discount?

Last, I don't know the sales figures but are the cheaper "The Corps!" outselling GI Joe's by a large margin? I know that WE are dedicated to GI Joe's but for the budget conscious person, I guess the other toys would be perfect. Thus those toys are certainly a large bulk of what you find in stores.

kndy

Ryan

My feelings exactly. Who knows they maybe ending the DTC line so they can put it in stores. Oh well I dealt with this months ago during the hiatus. Hasbro could have given up on it then. It looks like they are willing to do whatever they can to keep it going so I'll have faith that we will continue to see 3 3/4 Joes somewhere.

If Hasbro knew how to advertise or had any one that worked for them that knew any thing about toys other than just plan manufacturing they would be the best toy Company ever. I wish they would give up the Joe line to some one that knew haw to produce toys. Maybe they could give the toy line to Bandi. I just wish Bandi new something about quality when it came to toys. I have not had one Bandi toy to last more than a week before it falls apart.

Hmmm... Sales are low for the store or perhaps people are going to other online stores perhaps because it's a bit lower or they get a discount?

I'll admit, I was ordering from the Hasbro shop, because they were the cheapest means before, but now that they've raised the prices to equal those of the other online shops, I'll likely just switch over to supporting one of THOSE shops, since they're investing up front and I want to support them in their endeavor. I've always had great service with Smalljoes, so I'll likely keep up with Cory, although I'm sure the other shops are just as reliable.

This might be the reason why Hasbro jacked up the prices a little anyway, just to sway the line of thinking I just shared, in favor of these other shops, to keep them ordering in bulk/up front like they do, which only helps Hasbro already, but not for long if these other shops just sit on the product after they prepurchase it. ;)

Last, I don't know the sales figures but are the cheaper "The Corps!" outselling GI Joe's by a large margin? I know that WE are dedicated to GI Joe's but for the budget conscious person, I guess the other toys would be perfect. Thus those toys are certainly a large bulk of what you find in stores.

I've asked about that as well, and wonder just how they could possibly be making enough profit on those toys, enough to keep pumping them out like they do. One little skip in projected sales and Hasbro's ready to pull the plug on our Joes, yet these cheaper, less articulated and limited CORPS toys just keep hangin' around.....clearance sale after clearance sale? @hmmm@

I wonder if it's not just Hasbro's attitudes and high expectations of their toys, that hurts them the most, regardless of our support and the interest in them of the "kids"....or not?