Dc Superheroes Are Out

Maxim

JJ strikes again!

How does he do it?

Anyways congrats on the figures JJ, what do you think of them?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy Wonder from Mattel posted this response over at AFI regarding the figure changes from the SDCC protos:

In reference to your question for our figure selections and why we just redeco'd a Batman. Basically, we had huge hurdles to get wave 1 out on time since we started this line so late. Redeco's were all that we had time to produce in order to hit the January shelf change. In the coming months, probably around Feb., this forum will probably light up about having shortages. Again, major production issues to launch this line.

On the upside, we will catch up to the production shortages in March and Wave 2 will come out with 4 newly tooled figures from the SM world. There will also be at least 5 completely newly tooled figures coming out after wave 2.

If nothing else, you guys got some figures that were only available in Europe in wave 1.

Boy Wonder from Mattel posted this response over at AFI regarding the figure changes from the SDCC protos:

In reference to your question for our figure selections and why we just redeco'd a Batman. Basically, we had huge hurdles to get wave 1 out on time since we started this line so late. Redeco's were all that we had time to produce in order to hit the January shelf change. In the coming months, probably around Feb., this forum will probably light up about having shortages. Again, major production issues to launch this line.

On the upside, we will catch up to the production shortages in March and Wave 2 will come out with 4 newly tooled figures from the SM world. There will also be at least 5 completely newly tooled figures coming out after wave 2.

If nothing else, you guys got some figures that were only available in Europe in wave 1.

I applaud Mattel and DC for getting this line out to us earlier than expected and I can understand the possible shortages we might see. However, I still want the bases we saw at SDCC. They made the figures unique and more like a collectible and less like just an average toy. ML figures come with something; a base, or a vehicle or a BAF. I'd pay 12-15 if the figures came with the bases we saw. I certainly hope we can find some way to communicate to Mattel how much they are wanted and then maybe we can get them. One day, maybe.

Thanks for posting this info man, well it's good to see them say what the story really is.

nope keeping them MOC, got them at walmart. 8.99 i think each.

hey, i call them dc marvel legends...and eveybody just laughs lol

I give it up to DC for trying to compete but it just seems like a rip-off of ML.

Why do you say that? Is it that you think any 6" action figure with more than 4 joints is a rip off of Marvel Legends?

I give it up to DC for trying to compete but it just seems like a rip-off of ML.

Well I think they're just trying to compete with Marvel and Mattel is trying to compete with Toy Biz. They saw how lucrative the superhero collector's market is, and DC is trying to increase their market share. They've already got their product in specialty stores like Suncoast Video, Sam Goody, and Media Play as well as comic book stores and now they want to branch out into the little kid market with this line. The big guns at DC probably see this line as a way to reach out to children who don't go into Sam Goody so they never buy DCD, and if we go out a buy this stuff then all the merrier because now we're buying both lines of product.

It's not designed to be a rip-off of ML, merely an alternative for collectors and a way to get children to start asking mom and dad for this stuff.

I found them today at the Monroe NY Wal-Mart. I opened the Batman, but have to wait until Sunday for the rest.

PJ

You can see loose pics of the Batman figure at the ROC...

http://www.rocuniverse.com/forums//viewtopic.php?t=6553

Congrats on the figure, I think I'll pass on this version of Batman and wait for them to get the Toyfair verson out.

I found them today at the Monroe NY Wal-Mart. I opened the Batman, but have to wait until Sunday for the rest.

PJ

You can see loose pics of the Batman figure at the ROC...

http://www.rocuniverse.com/forums//viewtopic.php?t=6553

Congrats on the figure, I think I'll pass on this version of Batman and wait for them to get the Toyfair verson out.

I don't know. I do like the articulation of the one in the Toyfare mag. that was shown at SDCC... I don't like the look of the costume. To me Batman can be in either blue & gray (My favorate) or black & gray.

But there's certain costume pattens I want followed...

Blue/black & gray w/ yellow oval bat-symbol & cylinder belt and trunks.

Blue/black & gray w/ yellow oval bat-symbol & cylinder belt without trunks

Blue/black & gray w/ plain black bat-symbol piouched belt w/ trunks.

But the one at SDCC was a yellow oval bat-symbol, pouched belt & no trunks...and that just looks weird to me.

PJ

Why do you say that? Is it that you think any 6" action figure with more than 4 joints is a rip off of Marvel Legends?

I think a better question is, why is this bad? Marvel Legends are, possibly, the greatest action figures we've seen in a long time. They've got killer articulation, awesome amounts of detail, they're not too large, and they come with both comics and bases. So far, we've seen a few lines "rip-off" ML, such as Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat...and they're all the better for it, because with these lines being "rip-offs" comes these lines actually being able to interact with Marvel Legends and each other. So, really, I fail to see how a DC Comics "Marvel Legends" line is a bad thing. Come to think of it, I wish more lines would "rip-off" Marvel Legends.

Then again, you just can't please some people.

Rip off of Marvel Legends?? It's a logical counterpoint, what were Mattel and DC supposed to do just say, "Oh that's neat Marvel got that to work for them, too bad it wasn't us" I could say Marvel Comics is a ripoff of DCComics and look at the Street Fighter, Buffy, Mortal Kombat figures etc. Toy Biz revolutionized toys and any franchise worthy of figures needs this treatment, paticularly DC, probably more than anything else. I hope Mattel keeps this up. They are competeing with Marvel, that is what they do, and always have done. Like Coke and Pepsi.

http://www.aftimes.com/aslu/slu.shtml

Pics of Bane with OSITO!!1

Thanks for the link man.

Batman looks really good over all, but his pelvic region looks very odd. Killer Croc looks much improved to me, I like the fact that you can tell he has human DMA in him (somewhere)....also the paint work on him looks really good as well.