Numbers For Troop Building?

snowserpent

I never get sick of seeing action soundwaves pictures of the cobra troopers. I just love the cobra troopers

Yeah me too... got any more, AFS?

Around 22 cobra troopers and officers various, and 3 crimson guards, that is it. I like my army simple, as too many subsets lower the army feel, its hard though as there are so many good cobras

That's cool, I've been trying to keep my numbers of different types low as well. I've got four V1 Televipers and I think that's about all I need, seeing as how I'm aiming for basically one platoon each of Cobra Blueshirts, V1 Vipers and now green Vipers, but it's hard to limit yourself...

I like to keep my troop builders in proportion to how I feel their numbers are in the cobra organization. I generally army build in multiples of 5, but I've been thinking of upping that that number to 7 since that's how many the new Hiss holds, and I've been customizing those in ridiculously interesting ways, as the troop type requires (Crimson Hiss', Urban camo Hiss' with ablative armor for the Alley Vipers, hey, maybe if the mood strikes me I might even make a Hiss that makes sense for a Night Creeper to be driving it).

Any ways, this is how I see the troop numbers in order from most to least numerous.

Cobra Troopers - Bar none the most numerous rank and file trooper Cobra has. Find some thugs on the streets, give 'em a gun, a blue outfit, and some basic military training.

BATs - Now, at this point in the Joe time line I'd place these guys as being as numerous or maybe more numerous than the Troopers. That all depends on how much credence you lend to the Robot Rebellion theme, or whether or not you believe Sigma Six is where 3 3/4" continuity was headed.

Vipers - Cobra's true military might, these are the troops that actually pose a threat on the battle field. Plentiful, but due to their better equipment and military expertise, smaller in number than the troopers.

Crimson Guards - This is where we see a sharp drop off in numbers. Siegies shouldn't be a huge army... more a security force. These guys are supposed to be special, and all too often we forget that. Like if your troopers and vipers number 24 each, and your specialty vipers number 4 or 5 each, then you should have about 8 - 12. I couldn't resist getting a few too many Siegies, 12 to be exact... so I customized 4 into officers so that I can break them into four security teams of 3.

Specialty Vipers - This is a hard one, because, certain specialties are going to allow for more troops than others... Some like the Alley Viper, Range Viper, and SAW Viper just require some specialized training and some gear that doesn't go too far outside the scope of what the modern military uses... so those would more than likely see larger troop numbers. While others would be OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive to outfit like the CLAWS, Neo-Vipers, and Sand Vipers... so they would probably be relatively small in number. And still others would be limited in number due to bizarre or esoteric training... who in their right mind would go from the viper corps into Ninja Viper training, and how many who started that training would see it to completion? The rule of thumb on specialty vipers? Anything goes.

Iron Grenadiers - I see these guys as being the absolute best soldiers that money can buy, Destro has spared no expense, but he is funding them out of his own pocket and as such they are much fewer in number than any one of Cobra's forces. Besides if these guys were more numerous, Destro might have fared a little bit better in the Cobra Civil War. However, I bend the proportion rules a little in my collection (I have a lot of IG's) by reasoning that Destro doesn't trust Cobra in the least and has a heavy security contingent with him (so the number of IG's in my collection does not reflect porportions troops)

Crimson Shadow Guard - I like to think of these guys as a rumor siegies use to scare each other loyal. In my joeverse, they're a covert siegie division, but also serve as a sort of internal affairs division, wiping out threats within Cobra. I may put one or two of these guys hiding somewhere in a diorama. Like I said, these guys are supposed to be covert.

the majority of my troops are different vipers mostly the green, black, and blue. considering i won 50 viper head copies on ebay i divided them up into 20 custom snow vipers(all different unifroms) so far 15 viper heads with the mirage body, painting them in groups of 5. group 3 is almost done, 4 dial tone bodies to act as officers. other than that my army's not that large

12 cobra troops ( hoping to expand on if TRU ever gets anymore nightwatch troops)

12 cg

15 snowserpent 2002... i think....

12 greenshirt joes (3 bieng the old ones)