what type of game  

45 members have voted

1. 1. what type of game

• rpg
    • 3rd person
    • 1st person
    • fighting
    • tactics

rpg style 1st person not turn based. play as all favorite characters from bootcamp to joe (or cobra) status and beyond leveling up along the way, collecting weapons and money to buy armor and helmets/ knives/ swords / guns/ med kits and lady jays....

maybe even a character creation option as well

Atari is the one right now with GI JOE Licence.

I hope they make a GI JOE 1st Person or 3rd or Stretegy!

Atari has been sitting on it for years, and hasn't done anything.

The problem no doubt is because Hasbro wants any game to help sell the current toy line, but Hasbro changes Joe lines so often that it's hard for a developer to keep up. Just look at the TF Armada video game, coming out a year after Armada ended.

A squad based 3rd-person shooter like SOCOM with Mercarnaries: Playground of Destruction vehicles, character switching like Conflict: Desert Storm and Kill Switch squad AI.

To date, the SOCOM series is the most solid squad-based shooter available on the PS2. SOCOM 3 introduced customizable weapons (and recently vehicles), and they're the most up-to-date US Special Ops weapons so they should be available to the Joes. As long as they give the squad a set of glasses (SOCOM 3 squadmates can't shoot for squat, SOCOM 2 squadmates sniped from two miles away), it would be a stellar game. I'd have much confidence in Zipper Interactive if they were to work on the game. SOCOM has both 1st and 3rd person shooting, so this should satisfy both camps.

Mercenaries: POD had a great arsenal of vehicles, ranging from Apaches, Little Birds, Blackhawks and Commanches, to tanks, hummers and APCs. All of these could easily be substituted with Dragonflies, Sky Hawks, Tomahawks, FANGs, HISS and Hammers. They even had Greenshirts (Allied Forces) for you to stuff your vehicles in.

Kill Switch had some of the best enemy AI squad tactics I've seen. On multiple occasions, a group of enemy soldiers can be seen splitting up forces where one team delivers suppression fire, while the other team tries to outflank you (SOCOM does this too but not as fast or aggressive).

The Conflict Desert Storm/II deserves a honorable mention in that, it too is a squad-based shooter, but allows you to control individual members of your squad on-the-fly. It's great for setting up small unit tactics.

I play almost exclusively 3rd person shooters, and these are some of the best out there. Hasbro would do well to recruit Zipper Interactive (SOCOM) or Lucas Arts (Mercenaries).

For the most part, these games are 3rd person shooters, but SOCOM let's you switch to 1st as well or you would have sniper scope's for that zoom-in kill. How you want to play is just as varied.

You can be stealthy, you can go loud and try to be Rambo, or you can do a combination of both. It's all up to you. That one aspect gives it a leg up on series like Metal Gear Solid and Splinter Cell. Both are good games, but limited in how you want to complete your objectives. I've played MGS 1 and 2, and the actions scenes are just too scripted. Stealth to point A, the all out action. Stealth to point B, then all out action again; rinse, wash and repeat. Good story and presentation though, but too much stealth for my tastes, especially if you have no choice.

Vehicles were stellar in Mercenaries: POD. It's just a shame there wasn't more (there were tons of vehicles, but I would've like a few more different helos).

Yeah but Hasbro wouldn`t allow blood and gore.

That's what B.A.T.s are for.

While that's always an option, action-packed games like Mercenaries: POD and Kill Switch are still rated Teen. You can nuke a small village in M: POD. I don't think a Joe game would go that far, but I wouldn't see a problem with them taking it at least up to the level of M:POD, less if Hasbro is feeling squeamish about it all.

I think a real-time strategy game would be cool or maybe something akin to X-Men Legends.

PharmV

X-Men Legends would be great to cover the beat'em up/RPG genres.

XM:L is mostly a beat'em up, but has stats, skills and items to manage. Incidentally, XM:L is published by Activision, so it wouldn't be too hard to get a Joe game out of this game engine.

I don't know if it's possible with the PS2, but I'd like to see a no-bug version if a GI JOE Legends game was made. I hate the fact that XM:L2 is crashing due to item count tracking overload.

I think a real-time strategy game would be cool or maybe something akin to X-Men Legends.

PharmV

XM:L is mostly a beat'em up, but has stats, skills and items to manage. Incidentally, XM:L is published by Activision, so it wouldn't be too hard to get a Joe game out of this game engine.

I don't know if it's possible with the PS2, but I'd like to see a no-bug version if a GI JOE Legends game was made. I hate the fact that XM:L2 is crashing due to item count tracking overload.

i was just thinking that doing an x-men legends game would work well too

I'm thinking a 3rd person game with different missions that require different Joes specialties. You pick the team before the mission (kinda like XM:L), then you go through and different guys do their independant mission to complete the whole objective. So say one level is broken down into 4 sub levels. You pick the four man team. You place one member of your team in the right sublevel, then you play through as that character. After completing that sublevel, you go to the next one with another guy, and so on. It could lead to a lot of replay value, trying to beat levels with different guys, making it to points that weren't accessable to others because of their specialties. And different characters may have a harder time making it through a particular level, but they could be easier to beat the Cobra mini boss at the end of the level with. Have a bunch of unlockables hidden throughout, making you play through as the other characters in order to find all the secrets. Of course, they could also make it playable from the Cobra side as well. But that may be a bit much. A few vehicle based levels would be nice, too. These are just a few ideas floatin through my head now.

PharmV

i was just thinking that doing an x-men legends game would work well too

It would only work well as a beat'em up, though. The shooting in XM:L is a bit awkward (specificially the isometic view), and you really couldn't do any kind of precision shooting (something that would be alot easier to do in a 3rd person shooter).

And XM:L is also a T-rated game.

I wouldn't mind a Joe game like Battlefront or Bf1942. It could work . Wach level would have a different set of joes to play. You could be grunts and earn the big name hero characters.

It'd actually be pretty cool to have a Battlefront-style Joe game. Fight along side characters like Duke, Rock & Roll and Greenshirts in massive battlefields. It should have precision shooting though. BF is a bit of a mindless fragfest; too much spraying and praying.

I would like an RPG BUT it could be tough to do as we could easily get bored leveling up to the SAME troopers and BATS over and over.

If I had to design a Joe game I'd do it like a dungeon crawler. You'd have 6 Joes to choose from and when you beat the game, Cobras and a few more Joes open up.