Star Wars Continuity Problem

*Deathblade

I think by the time Episode 4 rolled around they were using clones cloned from clones lol.We know that on Geonosis in E2 that they still had 100s of 1000s of clones waiting for the Republic.With the losses during The Clone Wars and the rise of the Empire i'm sure those clones didn't last long.Without the original doner(Jango)i'm sure Palpy went with the easiest way out here-clone from sub par doners and clones from clones.

After a few cycles the clones were nothing more than blank slates who were lucky to be able to even hold the guns up.The Stomtroopers may not have been the brightest bulbs but they did have the advantage of sheer numbers.I'm sure that even some under trained Imperials were put in Stormtrooper armor.Had Palpy taken the time to have his new Stormtroopers properly trained instead of mass production to the field as quick as possible things may have been different for the Empire.

He could have easily found another perfect warrior to clone.

why? they seemed to do fine with the stormtroopers. for 20 years the empire ruled with an iron fist, and rather successfully. why would they expend the time and energy and manpower and money to find another "perfect warrior" to clone. the clone army was ridiculously expensive, as was jango's fee (which they mentioned in the movie was considerable). palpatine needed it because he was facing jedi, very powerful adversaries. once the jedi were wiped out and forgotten, stormtroopers kept the galaxy in line just fine, as far as the empire was concerned.

the empire fell due to its overconfidence. they didn't think they needed highly trained troops cloned from the perfect warrior anymore.

Other things

obi not remembering r2 at all

Of course Obi rememers who R2 is... he say's 'Hello there' like he knows him. He even understands what R2 is saying when R2 expresses concern for the unconcious Luke. Obi can't tell Luke he has know R2 before; that would lead to questions Obi wouldn't want to answer (like who's yo daddy).

r2 being a complete moron in the last movies compared to in the first, plus lack of use of fancy tools ect

When is R2 a moron? He saves EVERYONE at one time or another. As for his tools... 20 years is a lot of time to have upgrades or have some tools stop working.

vader not clueing in that c3po is his old droid or lack of caring that he is... Or even clueing in that r2 was the same as well. I know is a dark sith lord now but COME ON :P

The only time Vader sees C-3PO is when he is in pieces on Chewies back. I think he has other things on his mind at the time... like finding his son.

Vader never sees R2 in any of the original trilogy movies.

r2 not knowing who yoda is/hence trying to take the flash light away from him on dagabo or whatever @loll@

R2 may have SEEN Yoda in episodes 1, 2 and 3, but that doesn't mean he knows Yoda is some high-up-muckity-muck Jedi Master. And, being a droid, he probably wouldn't care. Also... R2 knows when to keep his mouth shut. Too bad Threepio doesn't know when to shut-it.

theres some other odds n ends along those lines too but I forget what...

I think something you have to remeber is that there were some star systems that were perfectly fine with having the Empire run the show. When troops have no one to really fight for two decades except the occasional uprising here or a planet unwilling to do something troops get lazy. Training also has a lot to do with it. I'm sure Jango's clones were trained better than the volunteer troops that came later. After all there been a lot said lately about the fact that US troops aren't trained as long they were years ago.

Guest James31278
I think by the time Episode 4 rolled around they were using clones cloned from clones lol.We know that on Geonosis in E2 that they still had 100s of 1000s of clones waiting for the Republic.With the losses during The Clone Wars and the rise of the Empire i'm sure those clones didn't last long.Without the original doner(Jango)i'm sure Palpy went with the easiest way out here-clone from sub par doners and clones from clones.

After a few cycles the clones were nothing more than blank slates who were lucky to be able to even hold the guns up.The Stomtroopers may not have been the brightest bulbs but they did have the advantage of sheer numbers.I'm sure that even some under trained Imperials were put in Stormtrooper armor.Had Palpy taken the time to have his new Stormtroopers properly trained instead of mass production to the field as quick as possible things may have been different for the Empire.

He could have easily found another perfect warrior to clone.

why? they seemed to do fine with the stormtroopers. for 20 years the empire ruled with an iron fist, and rather successfully. why would they expend the time and energy and manpower and money to find another "perfect warrior" to clone. the clone army was ridiculously expensive, as was jango's fee (which they mentioned in the movie was considerable). palpatine needed it because he was facing jedi, very powerful adversaries. once the jedi were wiped out and forgotten, stormtroopers kept the galaxy in line just fine, as far as the empire was concerned.

the empire fell due to its overconfidence. they didn't think they needed highly trained troops cloned from the perfect warrior anymore.

you forgot they Empire doesn't HAVE TO pay for anything, they could just take it.

Training also has a lot to do with it. I'm sure Jango's clones were trained better than the volunteer troops that came later. After all there been a lot said lately about the fact that US troops aren't trained as long they were years ago.

You're right, except it's not training your talking about - it's battle experience. A lot of Stormtroopers probably didn't really have any, and certainly not as much as the soldiers in the Clone War.

you forgot they Empire doesn't HAVE TO pay for anything, they could just take it.

Everything costs money. They might be able to take the cloning facilities, if they still existed, but that doesn't meant they could force the Kaminoans to do anything, or figure it out for themselves without the best scientists.

Let's see...it's about 18 years between Episode III and Episode IV. The clones that were originally used would be in their late 30's early 40's when ANH rolls around.Not really going to be in their prime,are they?

especially when you take into account the accelerated aging of clones in the SW universe.

Other things

vader not clueing in that c3po is his old droid or lack of caring that he is... Or even clueing in that r2 was the same as well. I know is a dark sith lord now but COME ON :P

But Vader did do so. Why else do you think he stopped Boba Fett from shooting Chewie in ESB? Because Chewie had 3PO on his back. As to R2,Vader never ran into him during the OT.

Other things

vader not  clueing in that  c3po is his old droid or lack of caring that he is...  Or even clueing in that r2 was the same as well.  I know is a dark sith lord now but COME ON :P

But Vader did do so. Why else do you think he stopped Boba Fett from shooting Chewie in ESB? Because Chewie had 3PO on his back. As to R2,Vader never ran into him during the OT.

i think that's hilarious. :D

vader is a being of no compassion, he strikes down his greatest and oldest friend, obi-wan kenobi. i'm sure he felt closer to obi-wan than he did to a protocol droid he abandoned when he was halfway done.

Guest James31278

and you forgot that money was only part of what i mentioned. time, energy, manpower. why waste them on building an army when you've got plenty of recruits and conscripts?

And you turned this into a stupid issue. @rolleye@

One thing that bothers me regarding the continuity  of the clones is

the very large armor variation selections in the prequels.  The designs and colors varied, yet in the future the stormtroopers have a very limited selection of armor designs and no color designation.

Lucas said that he wanted the bad guys to be Color-less. In the Prequels the Clones are the good guys and thus have bright colors added on them, you'll note that the droids are mostly white and grey as are their ships. By the time of the OT the Clones where bad guys now and thus all that color was taken off to show that move.

My take on the Clone/Conscript thing is that anyone wearing white armor is a clone. That's pretty much visually established from Ep2 on....and to think otherwise is kinda silly no matter what anyone says, especially when that person isn't Lucas. The other doner theroy holds much more water for me and makes a hell of lot more sense.

Sure, there was a rebellion going on, so the Empire was sort of at war during the OT, but the only real troops sent out to battle in the OT are the Galactic Marines, which still apparently retain their distinctive look. So does the unit sent to Tatooine to find the droids. All the other Stormtroopers we see are basically garrison troops, like on the Death Star and Endor.

Thats my take on OT storm Troopers as well. My thinking has been we really only see the garrison/ back up troops in the OT. The troopers sent to Tatooine are pretty crack shots, judging by how Obi remarks on their accuracy. The attack on the Tantive IV went very well. Also the attack force sent to Hoth did a good job, even when the rebels knew they were coming. Those are in my opinion the real clones. The troopers on endor or in the Death Star are back up guys that were never meant to see front line combat. Also the troopers on Tantooine have diferent colored shoulder pads, so their is a little color.

Wow some folks are thinking waayyy to hard about this!!! @smilepunch@

OT clones and CONSCRIPTS (people who were unable to become pilots or fleet officers) were a "peace" keeping force. Their job was to show up on a planet when folks started misbehaving and show force. In the OT years that was a far better deterant than shooting up a place. PT clones were trained and bred for war...OT clones weren't.

I do recall a story in SW Tales that had Vader reminising over a blasted 3PO on Bespin. In fact it was that memory that prompted him to give 3PO back to our heroes so they could fix him (I also agree that Vader had FAR more to worry about than what his old droid was doing on Bespin)

Stormtroopers win every battle except those our heroes were involved in (plus it'd make the movie pretty damn short in they hit Luke, Han, etc...I mean a ratio of heroes to villians in any given fire fight is like 5 to 20 so even just sheer numbers even bad shots would score a hit sometime in there)

Yoda and R2 were never really together in the movies so it can be argued that R2 doesn't eeen know who he is

Lucas intended R2 to know the whole story because of the irony of it...he's the one who was there from the beginning but can only be understood by the last person who shouldn't know and wouldn't belive him enough to translate anyway (3PO kinda chooses what he translates and what he just responds to R2 about)

But really it's just a movie...enjoy it!!!

I mentioned this in another topic but I've always assumed the lackluster preformence of the Stormtroopers was due to the fact that much like modern U.S soldiers, they are rushed through Bootcamp and given subpar weapons and armor, not to mention that they are forced into service against their will.

As for those that thought the Stormtroopers were Clonetroopers, Kiminoian were supposed to have the most sophisticated and advanced cloning technology in the Universe, and I remember reading in several places that they still had problems with their clones, so any clones made by someone else would be extremely bugged, and not suitable for usage in any way, shape or form, and Vader had no way of finding Kamino, from what I remember, he never even went there, Obi Wan never even told him anything beyond the name and if it hadn't been for the Bear Clan and Yoda, Obi Wan himself wouldn't have been able to find it.

As for those that thought the Stormtroopers were Clonetroopers, Kiminoian were supposed to have the most sophisticated and advanced cloning technology in the Universe, and I remember reading in several places that they still had problems with their clones, so any clones made by someone else would be extremely bugged, and not suitable for usage in any way, shape or form, and Vader had no way of finding Kamino, from what I remember, he never even went there, Obi Wan never even told him anything beyond the name and if it hadn't been for the Bear Clan and Yoda, Obi Wan himself wouldn't have been able to find it.

I would imagine that the Emperor knew though. Dooku placed the order for the clones for Palpatine, so I'd find it hard to believe that he doesn't know anything about Kamino.