Someone Has Tried To Bring Justice To The Prequels

mynameisash

has anyone seen either of these?

Ep 1 Balance of the Force

Ep 2 The Clone War

If so, what do you think. I have seen them both and think its in a way "The Fan's Cut".....This would be the director's cut if the director hadn't directed it in the first place.

I wonder if they will try to fix anything in Ep3

I heard all kinds of stuff about the phantom edit.

Sounded really great, they even changed it so that at the end, when Anakin flies up to the Droid command ship, he does it intentionally instead of accidentally, which when I think about it, is about 1,000,000 times cooler.

I heard all kinds of stuff about the phantom edit.

Sounded really great, they even changed it so that at the end, when Anakin flies up to the Droid command ship, he does it intentionally instead of accidentally, which when I think about it, is about 1,000,000 times cooler.

Yes, and they made him look much cooler by editing out all the dumb lines. Jar-Jar is less prevalent as well. Unfortunately, the copy I saw was all screwed up, sound-wise.

I have a fundemental problem with this kind of thing.

Its messing with another artist's work--and obstensibly WITHOUT their permission.

If these folks doing this editing job honestly believe they can do a better film, then why are they not producing and creating films like this, instead of tinkering with a already-existing work?

I have opinions about movies, stories and storytelling, but I'm certainly never going to go in a alter another artist's work just because I think I can do it better.

There's an very distinct kind of insult implied in this kind of thing.

If Lucas had wanted these films edited in this way, for effect, he would have offered them edited in this way.

The man's story is what we all saw on the screen--who is it to say that his story should be this way or that.

This kind of over-board fannish act goes a bit beyond the pale.

Since when do directors and producers really get to do all of what they want? Lucas himself admitted that his hands were tied on some of the issues the fans complained about. And you cannot tell me that Lucas wasn't forced to put in Jar-Jar. He was a marketing ploy to little kids. Someone or something always pulls the strings of another.

Its messing with another artist's work--and obstensibly WITHOUT their permission.

If these folks doing this editing job honestly believe they can do a better film, then why are they not producing and creating films like this, instead of tinkering with a already-existing work?

I have opinions about movies, stories and storytelling, but I'm certainly never going to go in a alter another artist's work just because I think I can do it better.

If Lucas had wanted these films edited in this way, for effect, he would have offered them edited in this way.

The man's story is what we all saw on the screen--who is it to say that his story should be this way or that.

Well, ethical or not, I think there's probably only about 2 people in the world that wouldn't like to see a serious, re-edited Phantom Menace.

If Lucas isn't going to get in there and make the movie cool (there's alot of potential, if you cut out alot) then it's about time someone that cares about SW and the fans does.

Meesa would pay muy-muy for a good copy of that film.

First off, remove about 99% of the character dialogue on Tatooine with Anakin's home.

Remove about 75% of Jar Jar.

Change the end to make Ani blow it up intentionally.

Remove the part about midichlorian count opposed to Yoda. They should simply FEEL that he's stronger, not rely on Star Trek toys to tell them. Sheesh.

Shorten the Pod Race.

That's all I can think of at this point. Ep 2 needs a little work too, but not nearly as much.

Well, that's why we have editors. Unfortunately Lucas has sort of been elevated to near god-like status, so I think he still had the final say. That's too bad, because I think he needed someone to tell him when he had a bad idea. (ie: Jar Jar.)

"Messing" with someone else's artistic work is fine in my opinion. Look, everything is copied in some way or another. Take print-making, for example. Fine art printmaking takes lots of images from pre-existing sources, including other people's art, and creates something new out of it. As long as he isn't destroying the original art, which these people aren't, because whatever they're using is just a copy anyway, then who cares?

It's only when they try to make money off this when people's rights are ignored, but that's not an artistic problem.

Ive found copies of both on limewire

I think TPM is tons better...well, rather Balance of the Force is tons better...... It takes Jar Jar's and the Viceroy's dialogue and makes it another languae with the addition of subtitles. Great work!

limewire? Whats that?

File sharing program.

EDIT: Dolph beat me to it. @firedevil@

I downloaded "Balance of the Force" awhile back and turned it off after about 20 minutes. They had some good ideas... I just didn't like the execution.

I think TPM is tons better...well, rather Balance of the Force is tons better...... It takes Jar Jar's and the Viceroy's dialogue and makes it another languae with the addition of subtitles. Great work!

Yeah... and I think that is a good idea... I just don't like the way they did it. It has been awhile... but I seem to remember it sounding like they just took the dialogue that was there and reversed it... so in the end it sounded (to me at least) like the Neimodians and Jar-Jar where speaking the same language.

I wonder if they will try to fix anything in Ep3

The Episode 3 fan edit is out now. It may be a little harder to find because it is still called Revenge of the Sith. I found it at www.myspleen.com

Here is a list of the changes made in the Episode 3 fan edit:

The "ADigitalMan" Fan Edit of Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

"There is still good in him."

Fan editor ADigitalMan was puzzled, as most were, about the writing,

directorial, and editorial decisions George Lucas chose when crafting the

prequels to the Star Wars saga.  While Revenge of the Sith was not nearly as

offensive as its two predecessors, there were still writing and editing problems

inherent in the theatrical cut, coupled with the removal of certain scenes that

should have remained in.

Continuing along the path established in his re-edits of Episode I and II,

ADigitalMan wraps the Prequel Trilogy by correcting these offenses and creating

the "final episode" we all wanted to see.  Using the elements provided in the

movie itself and in the deleted scenes, and supplementing with audio from a few

different sources, a film has been crafted that finds the good in George Lucas'

elaborate back-story without betraying the overall vision of the filmmaker

responsible for inspiring the imaginations of millions worldwide.

Here is what sets the ADigitalMan edition apart from the official DVD.

Things added:

* New crawl, once again thanks to the programming genius of Darth Editous. This

takes care of important expository elements that were missing (Tyrannus/Dooku

and Greivous as a cyborg especially)

* Battle droids & Nemoidian captain voices modulated to sound deeper and less

silly.

* Death of Shaak-Ti (trimmed to remove redundancy) / Escape through the fuel

cells (trimmed considerably)

* Palpatine refers to Dooku as Lord Tyrannus when he enters the room (as his

mouth movements originally suggest)

* Plot to destroy the Jedi deleted scene (trimmed considerably to remove

redundancy)

* The three Birth of the Rebellion scenes with Padme, Bail Organa and Mon Mothma

(among others)

* The Emperor tells Mas Amedda to "Leave us" explaining why he just walked out

of the room after Yoda gets zapped.

* Three voiceovers with Qui-Gon Jinn speaking to / with Yoda taken from Liam

Neeson's body of work.

* Yoda's exile to Dagobah scene (incorporating the final Qui Gon moment)

Things removed:

* The lines about "Vulture Droids" and "Buzz Droids" during the Battle of

Coruscant (it was bad exposition).  (Obi-Wan's Buzz droid reference after the

safe return of Palpatine remains as it isn't offensive exposition here).

* Artoo slamming into a wall.

* Palpatine's cheesy "yeah!" removed from the fight with Darth Tyrannus.

* Jar Jar's one "Excuse me" line, which was a cheesy out-of-place lift from Ep

I.

* Anakin & Padme's balcony scene

* References to Amidala as a Senator.

* NO FRIGGIN' MIDICHLORIANS

* Palpatine kvetching about being too weak to fight.

* Anakin second guessing himself about which side to choose and again after

Mace's fate; especially removed the "what have I done?" line that weakens his

fall to the dark side.

* Padme dying from losing the will to live.  Vader really did kill her and she

hung on just long enough to deliver the twins.

* Vader's "Noooooo" shortened and breathing effect added.

I also saw another fan edid of Episode 1 called "A Vergence in the Force".

Well, that's why we have editors. Unfortunately Lucas has sort of been elevated to near god-like status, so I think he still had the final say. That's too bad, because I think he needed someone to tell him when he had a bad idea. (ie: Jar Jar.)

"Messing" with someone else's artistic work is fine in my opinion. Look, everything is copied in some way or another. Take print-making, for example. Fine art printmaking takes lots of images from pre-existing sources, including other people's art, and creates something new out of it. As long as he isn't destroying the original art, which these people aren't, because whatever they're using is just a copy anyway, then who cares?

It's only when they try to make money off this when people's rights are ignored, but that's not an artistic problem.

So if I re-did a drawing ( without permission) of someone's from the fan art section here to make it "better" and make them, it turn, look less capable than me, it becomes okay?

How well do you think something like that would go over?

How do you think it would make the original artist feel?

Lucas didn't solicit these edits, as a creator he's entitled to have his work stand as is, because that is his vision. Someone else coming along after the fact, tinkering with his work and saying they can improve it is very wrong. Having an opinion on it is one thing, actually altering the work and DISPLAYING it for others is something else.

If Lucas wants to make the changes or grant permission for these edits, he will.

If not, his works should stand as is.

So if I re-did a drawing ( without permission) of someone's from the fan art section here to make it "better" and make them, it turn, look less capable than me, it becomes okay?

How well do you think something like that would go over?

How do you think it would make the original artist feel?

Lucas didn't solicit these edits, as a creator he's entitled to have his work stand as is, because that is his vision. Someone else coming along after the fact, tinkering with his work and saying they can improve it is very wrong. Having an opinion on it is one thing, actually altering the work and DISPLAYING it for others is something else.

If Lucas wants to make the changes or grant permission for these edits, he will.

If not, his works should stand as is.

I'm saying that in the world of art, and by that I mean "high art" (I'm not discussing that term right now, as even I think it's flawed, but you get my point) that stuff happens all the time. Tons of artists take pre-made works, and put a new spin on them. This is pretty much the same thing, and it's not like they're doing anything to the "original" cut of the film (if it exists, since it was filmed digitally - I'm not sure how that works now). It's just a copy they're using, and they're not trying to make any money off Lucas' work, so I don't see the problem.

Don't get me wrong, your argument is compelling. However I would ask you one question - do you think Lucas was just in reediting The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi? Because I would like to point out that he didn't "create" these movies, as he wasn't the director. He certainly played an important part in creating the story, but the director is the one who creates the film.

I see nothing wrong with these edits. Customizing your toys is the same thing: you're taking another artists work and making perceived improvements to it, and then showing others, claiming yours is better.

I agree.