Wave 3 Dtc Pics And Mini-reveiw

Alyosha

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I see a little potential here (and I really mean a little). Med Alert's helmet seems like it is very similar the UNSC issue helmet for the marines in HALO, minus the nose plug. The trooper definately needs a new helmet and maybe a new head. I never really likes the Range Viper head after I had a chance to look at it first hand. Other than getting these guys for their gear and custom fodder that's all I can really think of.

Hey AL, btw, the Snake Eyes vest actually fits on that torso!? :blink:

The GS would have been perfect if the paint apps weren't like that, PERFECT! Also, MonkeyWrench looks kool, even though they did use the whole mold from that other Nok' we saw for spy troops, I can't remember his name at the moment. It even looks like his head mold just with longer hair and that he's white. Hasbro is starting to mess up. How can you ship out the figures looking like that. Hasbro went from doing awesome to screwing up more than before. I like the figures in a way tho. I will get a case of them, but Hasbro isn't going to last if they keep this up. Oh, and Al, how much?

I like the wave as a whole but feel I am getting one of each only. If HTS gets some I will wait and maybe get a few more saw vipers and I have to take a look first hand with the cobra trooper to see if I want to order more.

It is not the end and sheesh they are not that bad. Look we all new from the begining that DTC would be more old parts than new. Most of the figs like MW, etc originally had whole new molds planned or sculpted but they could not justify the expense on going through with all new molds unless DTC is a HUGE success. If not we will continue to get this till 2007 and the 25 anv stuff hits the stores imo.

Personally I like them all. Just not crazy for Saw Viper as a whole and never been a Grand Slam fan. GS really is the only one I see justified complaints about.

Draven

I was checking out the review of Grand Slam at generaljoes.com, and it looks like the face paint app on Alyosha's figure may be a specific case. The one in General Hawk's review doesn't look as bad, though the beard stubble is still a little questionable.

http://www.generalsjoes.com/reviews/2005/d...3/grandslam.htm

Alrighty, here's my thoughts on the figures as they sit.

Lowlight- While lazy in the extreme, this figure has an appeal. The hands are a negative (although I understand the reason for swivel wrists), and the arms do match the mold nicely. The goggles and vest are the deal breakers for me though. The wv 7 SE vest was a much better look to me and helped the neck not seem so short. The rifle is a big plus, but with the crappy hands, he doens't really hold it well at all. I am modding mine to make it look right, and work better, and will post those pics in a comparison later on. grade- C++

Monkeywrench- Again, while this is a great loking figure on the surface, I have my reservations. The Burn Out mold has some serious flaws in the proportions and execution, and if it weren't for the coat they'd be there for all the world to see. I love the new headsculpt, and the new coat, and integrating the shotguns the way they did was smart. I would've like to have seen a little catch or cup to hold the end of the shottys though to make them more stable. grade- B+

Grand Slam- Many people have commented that mine might have been a bad case on the paint, but everyone I've seen so far has crappy paint for the scruff. And don't get me started on them using that head for this figure. The molded moustache looked bad unpainted, and the hair was crap. Other than those things, I liked this figure the most, even though I thought he'd be the least attractive to me. I think it's just the original colors...the new rifle is kinda' cool, and I liked the helmet with goggles, but I would've like to have seen a jetpack and laser set up similar to the original. Maybe even recycle the one from 1991 Hawk. grade- B+

Med-Alert- Man, I don't think it's possible for me to dislike this figure more than I do. I like the art, I like the FC, I like the concept, but this thing is crap. The globby paint, the too large for the body head (which is a beautiful sculpt BTW) the tiny VvV style body (man, was that some crap or what) and the lackluster accs choices just do him in for me. It's a Joe, so it gets a letter grade for that. I'll be totally reworking one of these very soon. grade- D-

SAW Viper - A lot of folks are turned off by the fact that it's the very recent Rollbar Night Ops figure, but for me that is not a problem since I don't own that one yet. My main beef is that if you want to reuse a character head, the go ahead and make some new paint masks. Would it have made it more acceptable if he'd had some well painted stubble, and maybe a small scar or two? I think so. Another small complaint about this figure is that he is not camo'd like the card art shows. The colors are subdued after all, but the camo wold have been the icing on the cake here. The new weapon, while not what is mentioned on the FC is the tits though! grade- B+

Cobra Trooper- Again, unlike a lot of folks, I actually like this figure fairly well. The new weapons are cool, and the design (while different) is alright for a troop. Cobra can't stay the same forever, you know. The glaring things that draw it back a little are the grey trim (black would have looked much better) and the ill-fitting helmet. This figure (like much of the wave) could have been great with just a step or two more in that department, but as is it's just alright. grade- B-

Well, there's my reveiw. To sum it all up, this wave could have been greatness, but just missed by a step or two. I'm happy to have it overall (except for Med-Alert, wh I wish I'd never paid for). Think of it what you will. Sorry it took so long to post, and feel free to ask any questions you might have. -Aly

Well, I'm predicting the next wave is going to be so much better than this one, especially with a new sculpt Night Viper coming out. I bet that Link Talbot's arms, Spytroops Overkill's torso and lower half, and possibly Kamakura or Night Creeper's head would be used to make him. For wave 5, I hope a new sculpt Shockwave will be released, as I have finally done a custom new sculpt Shockwave that looks perfect to me. I will post pics when I can.

Well, I'm predicting the next wave is going to be so much better than this one, especially with a new sculpt Night Viper coming out. I bet that Link Talbot's arms, Spytroops Overkill's torso and lower half, and possibly Kamakura or Night Creeper's head would be used to make him. For wave 5, I hope a new sculpt Shockwave will be released, as I have finally done a custom new sculpt Shockwave that looks perfect to me. I will post pics when I can.

I doubt Shockwave will ever happen. Lanard has the trademark and the list we saw way back and the battle files show what we will get past wave 4.

Draven

what does the cobra soldier look like without the helmet??

i think grand slam looks pretty cool with those paint apps, except for the eyes. the beard looks like a war scar and his head looks like he got pistol whipped. they need more joes with facial scars!

Well, I'm predicting the next wave is going to be so much better than this one, especially with a new sculpt Night Viper coming out.  I bet that Link Talbot's arms, Spytroops Overkill's torso and lower half, and possibly Kamakura or Night Creeper's head would be used to make him.  For wave 5, I hope a new sculpt Shockwave will be released, as I have finally done a custom new sculpt Shockwave that looks perfect to me.  I will post pics when I can.

I doubt Shockwave will ever happen. Lanard has the trademark and the list we saw way back and the battle files show what we will get past wave 4.

Draven

Not 100% sure on this, but I remember hearing that Hasbro got the name back. They used the name Shockwave for a Transformers Minicon two pack:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product...683&mode=retail

SAW Viper - A lot of folks are turned off by the fact that it's the very recent Rollbar Night Ops figure, but for me that is not a problem since I don't own that one yet. My main beef is that if you want to reuse a character head, the go ahead and make some new paint masks. Would it have made it more acceptable if he'd had some well painted stubble, and maybe a small scar or two? I think so. Another small complaint about this figure is that he is not camo'd like the card art shows. The colors are subdued after all, but the camo wold have been the icing on the cake here. The new weapon, while not what is mentioned on the FC is the tits though! grade- B+

Cobra Trooper- Again, unlike a lot of folks, I actually like this figure fairly well. The new weapons are cool, and the design (while different) is alright for a troop. Cobra can't stay the same forever, you know. The glaring things that draw it back a little are the grey trim (black would have looked much better) and the ill-fitting helmet. This figure (like much of the wave) could have been great with just a step or two more in that department, but as is it's just alright. grade- B-

I thought it was kinda interesting that they put that weird beard stubble on Grand Slam but not on S.A.W.-Viper. I got the impression they were perhaps trying to differentiate Grand Slam from Bazooka, but why not S.AW.-Viper and Rollbar?

And the fact the Cobra Trooper has a removable helmet never made sense to me. Seems like a rather worthless addition. If the head was more like the CG heads (which were similar to the original Blueshirt heads) it would make some sense.

Draven

What is this list that you are talking about, and what is on tap for wave 5 and six then?

I think he's referring to the amazon list that gave us the names for waves 3 and 4. Not sure about the battle files to which he referred.

Yeah LG, we have Shockwave back.

And I think Draven may be talking about the giant of names we got at the beggining of the "hiatus" that was supposed to be the name of every person we were going to get from Robot Rebellion. Also, some would should post who all is in the battle files. I've never read those.

Probably, it looks like they are just throwing together what's left, to finish everything up. Maybe that's why they are on sal at HTS wit such a big sale.

When are they gonna post them? I heard near the end of Dec. I know I bashed on these to hell but still would like a shot. I've seen the Trooper go for a high $8.99 (guess where) and $5 at Goodstufftogo, but they're gone.