Hasbro Reissue Astrotrain...

Grondeur

Anybody know how long it's going to be before Astrotrain is out? I've been checking the Hasbro toyshop website ever since I heard the news from the Transformers Club about it being released on 10/24/05.

Takara seems to be so much better and will release a statement if a figure is cancelled or postponed (that is my perception) -- and this normally does not happen.

My money ( somebody remember this ) is on the bet that they have changed thier mind about HTS exclusives. They wanted to see how well the Reissue Sideswipes sold at KB. If they sell good there ( as appossed to TRU ), they will make them KB exclusives. Astrotrain will end up at KB sometime after the first of the year... That's my prediction.

Since there's only 12 months in a year, that's obviously f**ked up

What does the 12 months in a year have to do with anything?

My prediction isn't the timing of his KB release, it's the fact he'll be a KB release. As of now, he's just officially an HTS release.

Read my second reply and you'll see I corrected myself straight away.

To a brit, that date would read as "the 10th day of the 24th month, 2005"

Since there's only 12 months in a year, that's obviously f**ked up

What does the 12 months in a year have to do with anything?

My prediction isn't the timing of his KB release, it's the fact he'll be a KB release. As of now, he's just officially an HTS release.

Read my second reply and you'll see I corrected myself straight away.

To a brit, that date would read as "the 10th day of the 24th month, 2005"

I hit the "reply" button before you posted the correction. I didn't see it til after I posted my reply.

Hopefully they're rethinking it, and are taking the time to release it 1980's style instead of the Japanese white version.

But the white version makes sense - as much as triple changer can. The Space Shuttle is white, not purple, and a steam loco is black, not purple.

I say, bring on the white/black version!

Although, the anime version is kind of cool, too despite the non-realistic colors

But the white version makes sense - as much as triple changer can. The Space Shuttle is white, not purple, and a steam loco is black, not purple.

Although, the anime version is kind of cool, too despite the non-realistic colors

Yeah, it makes sense, from a "realism" point of view, but that's not the point.

First off, it's a reissue of a toy that's meant to appeal to nostalgia - but no one in North America ever bought a white and black version of Astrotrain as a kid in the 80's. The character didn't appear black and white in the TV show either - sure he was different, so an E-Hobby coloured version might work well here too, but not a white and black version. So there ends the greater part of any nostalgic appeal it might have to most consumers.

Secondly, sure, it might appeal to the more "serious" TF collectors who are familiar with the fact that the original Takara Astrotrain that was released in Japan was white and black. Many collectors who already have an original North American Astrotrain might have wanted to add the white and black version to their collection, if it had not been already reissued by Takara and still readily available through Ebay or online dealers. And let's face it, it's one of the easiest and least expensive Takara reissues out there - compared to the others, the demand for it isn't very great.

For Hasbro to make any sort of real money on Astrotrain, they'd need to release it either in the original colours, which hasn't been reissued yet and therefore would be in great demand, or an "anime" version, like the E-Hobby release, because we all know that's one of the hottest and most wanted E-Hobby TFs out there.

Releasing Astrotrain in either the original or E-Hobby colours is a no-brainer, provided that Hasbro has learned from its past mistakes on reissued TFs (which, in my opinion, had more to do with price than anything else). Releasing it in black and white would be a dismal failure.

I hope they don't go to KB Toys. Those bastards closed too many stores -- including the store that was close to me. Now, in order to get to a KB, I will need to drive 65+ miles. Why can't Hasbro make G1 reissues a Walmart exclusive? Seems like there is a Walmart store on every other street corner (next to the Star Bucks)

@wacko@

Hopefully they're rethinking it, and are taking the time to release it 1980's style instead of the Japanese white version.

Logic is over rated, give me purple. :D

I hope they don't go to KB Toys. Those bastards closed too many stores -- including the store that was close to me. Now, in order to get to a KB, I will need to drive 65+ miles. Why can't Hasbro make G1 reissues a Walmart exclusive? Seems like there is a Walmart store on every other street corner (next to the Star Bucks)

@wacko@

Who say's Walmart would want them?

I hope that's not true. The original is cheap and isn't hard to find on Ebay, so they might as well sell a new version (for the US) to draw in people like me who already have an original.

Logic is over rated, give me purple. :D

I like the black & white version better. The shuttle mode looks more like the real space shuttle and the train mode looks more like a real old fashioned engine. (aside from the shuttle boosters sticking out of the back of it of course)

I've already got an original, not to mention they are not all that hard to come by so if you need the purple one that bad just get an original, they're not all that expensive. (that is if you get him loose)

Have you not notice some of the other color schemes that TF have had over the years? :P

Me? I don't care which version they bring out as long as they bring it out. Ok, maybe I would rather see the anime style, but I would take the black and white version too.

I hope they don't go to KB Toys.  Those bastards closed too many stores -- including the store that was close to me.  Now, in order to get to a KB, I will need to drive 65+ miles.  Why can't Hasbro make G1 reissues a Walmart exclusive?  Seems like there is a Walmart store on every other street corner (next to the Star Bucks)

@wacko@

Who say's Walmart would want them?

dear lord, I hope WM doesnt get the exclusive rights to sell them.

What is the reason to not go with Walmart? My thinking is to get them out to a lot of stores and at a good price.

Would a Target exclusive be better?

I'd rather WM get em, my WM is actually an ok place to check for toys every now and then and is no where near an evil place hehehe.

TRU on the other hand, now they are EVIL!

Honestly though WM just don't want em else they woulda been ther already.

Guess Target must not of wanted em either since they had to go to lame arse TRU. I wouldn't mind em as KB exclusives if KBs were still around in good numbers.

Oh and i'm not even considering the white and black Astrotrain, if it ain't a reissue of the original Astrotrain i ain't getting it hehe, Astrotrain was one of my first TFs, though he came from a yard sale and is missing parts hehe, so thats why i'd want a TRUE reissue of him, to see him nice and shiny and new, course i hate die cast so hehehehe.

@wacko@

I'd rather they be KB exclusives than non-existant. @smilepunch@

I hope they don't go to KB Toys.  Those bastards closed too many stores -- including the store that was close to me.  Now, in order to get to a KB, I will need to drive 65+ miles.  Why can't Hasbro make G1 reissues a Walmart exclusive?  Seems like there is a Walmart store on every other street corner (next to the Star Bucks)

@wacko@

I'd rather they be KB exclusives than non-existant. @smilepunch@

Going with KB is only a tiny bit above non-existent. I didn't even KNOW KB had a reissue Sideswipe since mine closed.

Geez, just put em on friggin' HTS.

Just wait til you get hit with the news when it's sold out since there are more TFans than the amount of astrotrains they are making....