Lame Powers

synch

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Luck" powers don't make sense because they rely on the manipulation of a concept. How do you measure that ability? What are it's limitations, exactly? It's kind of like saying that a Christian has the superpower to manipulate his faith. Sure it makes a catchy tagline, but that's about as far as you can take it before you just get silly.

Luck can mainfest itself as Chaos Theory.

What might seem to be a random confluence of events can have a definite cause and effect, as all things do. Longshots power narrows down that randomness into a state of physics were his will in a situation comes out of top. Its probably the same order of power as Scarlet Witch's or Black Cat's--and is definitely some kind of psychic manipulation of the physical Universe.

I dunno about you, but that makes sense to me.

Dazzler turns sound into light. Unless you put her in a soundproof area, you can't disarm her. The "lightshow" is nothing. The real trick is that all she has to do is talk during a battle in order to get the power to fire lasers. I don't know about you, but that seems pretty slick to me.

She can not use the sounds her own body generates to form her light powers... however she could easily use the voice of who ever she is fighting... seeing as how every comic book villian likes to run at the mouth.

Deadpool doesn't stand a chance against Dazzler, then. Poor Guy.

My vote is for Maggot. Plus, powers or no powers, Cyclops is just the lamest character - period - exclamation point.!

I guess it does come down to personal opionon which is why i through Bishop into the mix. I just never found that character to be of any interest. And his power seems to be the same of so many other characters like cyclops. On that note i would like to throw Forge into the frey.

Stiltman, that is pretty bad hehe.

"Luck" powers don't make sense because they rely on the manipulation of a concept. How do you measure that ability? What are it's limitations, exactly? It's kind of like saying that a Christian has the superpower to manipulate his faith. Sure it makes a catchy tagline, but that's about as far as you can take it before you just get silly.

Luck can mainfest itself as Chaos Theory.

What might seem to be a random confluence of events can have a definite cause and effect, as all things do. Longshots power narrows down that randomness into a state of physics were his will in a situation comes out of top. Its probably the same order of power as Scarlet Witch's or Black Cat's--and is definitely some kind of psychic manipulation of the physical Universe.

I dunno about you, but that makes sense to me.

The problem (IMO) is that youre still dealing with theories, concepts, and manifestations of "the butterfly effect." I know it's somewhat hypocritical that I have no problem with Dr. Strange being able to "cast spells," but luck/hex/karmic/probability powers as a whole are often too rooted in the intangible to be done well. As I pointed out, this is the reason why Scarlet Witch's abilities changed every few years. The writers were never really sure how her power worked or what its limits were. Cyclops is easy- he breaks things with beams from his eyes. But someone who (often subconsciously) manipulates abstract mathematics? Sorry, it just doesn't work for me.

Mind you, I'm not saying that this sort of power can't work. I'm saying that the way it is often used is so vague as to be undefinable, and is often a substitute for the personality of an otherwise bland character. Really, how have Scarlet Witch and Longshot really changed over the years? The short answer is that they haven't, but the writers hoped that by messing with thier powers enough, no one would notice.

I think this kind of power was actually used to great effect in Ultimate X-Men, where Longshot's "luck" was really more of a spontaneous manipulation of the environment caused by his own self-preservation instinct. Subconsciously causing a gun to backfire or commanding a lightning bolt is a lot different than just being "lucky." I think it was wonderfully defined (and used), and it wasn't written in as a crutch for the writer to use to prop up an otherwise stagnant personality.

How about Toad? He can leap real high and he has a really disgusting tongue. That might have uses in some situations but in a fight it's just gross.

Hahaha. @loll@

The problem (IMO) is that youre still dealing with theories, concepts, and manifestations of "the butterfly effect." I know it's somewhat hypocritical that I have no problem with Dr. Strange being able to "cast spells," but luck/hex/karmic/probability powers as a whole are often too rooted in the intangible to be done well. As I pointed out, this is the reason why Scarlet Witch's abilities changed every few years. The writers were never really sure how her power worked or what its limits were. Cyclops is easy- he breaks things with beams from his eyes. But someone who (often subconsciously) manipulates abstract mathematics? Sorry, it just doesn't work for me.

But where do those beams come from?

Little laser emitters in Cyclop's head? His stats have said that his brain contains a aperture to another universe that is solely composed of the energy his optic beams are compirsed of. That his mind creates a breach allowing that energy to come out of his eyes.

How much more theoretical can something get?

Its not quite so easy now, eh?

Longshot, or any one character has their abilities explained in equally forthright manners. His power is centred around luck--ergo, he get's "lucky" at doing things when he most needs to. Makes complete sense to me.

Flying powers make little sense at all once you start looking at them.

They could/should be just straight leaping abilities......but that breaks down when a character hovers, or manuvers in another direction in mid-flight. Character simply can fly because that is their power--and they can manuver in flight simply because they can fly.

Comics require that kind of suspension of disbelief to work.

Actually Longshot has other powers here's a list

Powers: Superhuman agility, hollow bones, able to generate "good luck", able to read recent

memories of people, able to read psychic imprints on objects

I seem to recall reading in the OHOTMU that by his creating good luck for himself, someone else would be getting the bad luck to even things out.

just about every mutant that Morrison created in New X-men sucked!

I agree, not to mention the whole X-Statix crap.

Jubilee, on the other hand, is often saddled with the power to create "plasmoids" when in fact her ability is to superheat matter. Her "fireworks" are caused by the spontaneous ignition of air particles

Where'd you read this? I got this info from 2 sites,

http://www.comicboards.com/marvelguide/j.htm

Powers: Has the ability to generate "fireworks" (a multi-colored globules of energy-plasmoids varying in power and intensity. Besides that Jubilee is a highly skilled gymnast and a fair hand-to-hand combatant

http://www.marveldirectory.com/individuals...s/j/jubilee.htm

Known Superhuman Powers: Jubilee is a mutant with the superhuman ability to generate what she calls her "fireworks:" energy globules that vary in degrees of power and intensity. The globules obey her mental control, traveling where she directs them, arranging themselves in balls, streamers, and other shapes, and exploding when she wishes. These combinations may result in anything from a multitude of colorful sparkles capable of temporarily blinding a person to a fairly powerful detonation, capable of smashing tree trunks or metal objects. She can absorb these "fireworks" back into her own body without harm to herself.

jiM

But where do those beams come from?

Little laser emitters in Cyclop's head? His stats have said that his brain contains a aperture to another universe that is solely composed of the energy his optic beams are compirsed of. That his mind creates a breach allowing that energy to come out of his eyes.

How much more theoretical can something get?

Its not quite so easy now, eh?

If that explanation for his optic blasts had been offered up anywhere but in the OHOTMU, which I tend to think purposely made some of the abilities more complicated than they need to be, I'd agree with you. We're not debating the source of the powers- we could be here all day talking about the silly things that radiation has done in comic books. I mean, where does "luck" come from? That's a philosophical debate for another time and another board.

Longshot, or any one character has their abilities explained in equally forthright manners. His power is centred around luck--ergo, he get's "lucky" at doing things when he most needs to. Makes complete sense to me.

Actaully, the OHOTMU says the following:

"Longshot was genetically engineered to have certain superhuman abilities. One of these is his ability to affect probability fields through psionic means in order to give himself "good luck" in his activities. This power operates even when Longshot does not consciously will it to do so. However, by creating "good luck" for himself, Longshot creates an equal and opposite effect elsewhere, thus creating "bad luck." This "bad luck" could affect someone else, or could conceivably even affect Longshot himself at some point. "

Again, we're back to theory and abstract math. His power isn't about luck. His power is to subconsciously calculate and/or manipulate mathematical probabilities, then somehow use the results to affect the physical world. "Luck" is a concept, a catch-all word. Even the writers acknowledge it by thier use of quotes. It's an entire power based around abstract concepts, incalculable probabilities, and outright theory.

I think that's what really bugs me about the "luck" powers, aside from the things I've already mentioned. There is no scientific explanation for them. Again, they rely on theories and probabilities that not only cannot be put into practice, but defy it by their very nature... and we're supposed to just sit back and go "Oh, his power is that he's lucky." Even for comics, it's pretty ridiculous.

Flying powers make little sense at all once you start looking at them.

They could/should be just straight leaping abilities......but that breaks down when a character hovers, or manuvers in another direction in mid-flight. Character simply can fly because that is their power--and they can manuver in flight simply because they can fly.

Most characters (I will admit, not all) can attribute thier ability to fly to subtle manipulation of energy. Now, this energy often varies from hero to hero, and the physics involved often are impossible (the heat energy needed to make Sunfire or Human Torch fly, for example, would be astronomical), but there often are psuedo-scientific explanations.

Jubilee, on the other hand, is often saddled with the power to create "plasmoids" when in fact her ability is to superheat matter. Her "fireworks" are caused by the spontaneous ignition of air particles

Where'd you read this?

The handbooks are fun, but never trust them for everything. The various writers who have handled Jubilee over the years have been trying to expand her powers, but she keeps getting saddled with something that has been established as the weakest manifestation of her powers. The fact is simply that no one has really spent the time on her to develop her abilities to thier fullest.

During "Phalanx Covenant," Synch used Jubilee's powers to detonate the Phalanx themselves. White Queen later commented that Jubilee isn't using the full potential of her powers. Also, during Age of Apocalypse, Jubilee detonated the clothing of Madrox's dupes. Someone (I think it was Gambit, but don't quote me) even commented on what a great tactic it was. The very fact that her "plasmoids" are a form a plasma, hence the name, really tells you a lot about her powers as well.

I'm sure there are other instances, but those are the ones that come to mind right away.

I never really followed the Avengers, but about the Scarlett Witch: she can manipulate probability. Does that cause her to fly and shoot bolts from her hands? Doesn't she also cast spells and protective shields? What do these things have to do with luck?

But how about those "agility" powers? I'm talking about Domino (what is her power?), Deadpool, Gambit and others. I would guess that Domino and Deadpool are so agile because of years of practice, but with Gambit.....well, maybe from being a thief. But it seems like agility is a mutant power in the Marvel Universe. Only certain people are agile and they are oh so incredibly agile. They can also carry on a conversation while flipping through the air.

I never really followed the Avengers, but about the Scarlett Witch: she can manipulate probability. Does that cause her to fly and shoot bolts from her hands? Doesn't she also cast spells and protective shields? What do these things have to do with luck?

Scarlet Witch's powers are one of those that I was pointing out has been revised, redefined, and rehashed so many times that it's simply not funny anymore.

Originally, her power was to cast simple "hex bolts" that had a negative effect on whatever she lobbed them at. Then her power became a form of probability control. Then they became psuedo-magical. Then they become fully magical. Then they became the mutant power to control magic. Then they became probability control with magic on the side. Then they became the power to warp reality itself.

I find it very amusing to read her first few adventures with the Avengers, when she'd lob 3-4 hex bolts and was exhausted, then compare it to Avengers: Dissassmebled, where she resurrects the dead, creates a Kree armada out of thin air, and many, many other things, apparently with no effort at all. That's one hell of a jump in power level, even for a character that's been around 40 years.

But how about those "agility" powers?  I'm talking about Domino (what is her power?), Deadpool, Gambit and others.  I would guess that Domino and Deadpool are so agile because of years of practice, but with Gambit.....well, maybe from being a thief.  But it seems like agility is  a mutant power in the Marvel Universe.  Only certain people are agile and they are oh so incredibly agile. 

Domino is a trained soldier and has some of those hotly debated "luck" powers. Deadpool has simply trained himself to the point where he is extremely flexible. His healing factor also cuts down on his pain reception, so he's not afraid to strain himself, knowing it will heal almost instantly. Gambit's powers may or may not include natural athleticism- it depends on who's writing his bio. Either way, he also has had years of training on top of any powers he may or may not have.

While agility can be a natural power (Beast and Nightcrawler spring immediately to mind), you have to again realize that these are character who often have years of training. Most of the X-Men, for example, can dodge a laser with ease, but most of the Brotherhood would get clipped. A good portion of the X-Men also have military or other training that also helps them stay in top physical shape.

Of course, a lot of it breaks down into "comic realism." In real life, it's doubtful that most people could successfully dodge a hail of gunfire or got through the rigorous fights that many comic characters do on a daily basis, but these heroes wouldn't be quite so "super" if they weren't out there doing things that we mortals can't do.

They can also carry on a conversation while flipping through the air.

That's just a long-standing comic convention, like thought bubbles, splash pages, and cliffhangers. :)

How exactly did Longshot figure out he's a mutant? I mean, did he find a shamrock and declare himself a mutant cause he's lucky? If I were him, I'd take my "luck" powers and play the lottery a few times... <_<

How exactly did Longshot figure out he's a mutant? I mean, did he find a shamrock and declare himself a mutant cause he's lucky? If I were him, I'd take my "luck" powers and play the lottery a few times... <_<

Just a few? @loll@

What exactly is Beast's power?  The power of big feet and big hands?  Super agility like almost everyone else?
The Beast has the superhuman strength, agility, endurance, speed and dexterity. He is strong enough to lift (press) 2,000 pounds. His legs are powerful enough to enable him to leap 14 feet high in a standing high jump, and 22 feet in a standing broad jump. He is able to crawl up brick walls by wedging his fingers and toes into the smallest cracks and applying a vise-like grip on them. He has enough power to smash through a four-inch thick oaken door with a single blow or tie a three-inch solid steel bar into a knot. - Marveldirectory.com

But, remember not all mutants have any powers to speak of, they could just look different than normal humans.

Lamest mutant power goes to that drug Lord from the Spider-Man/Black Cat mini series by Smith.

The ability to teleport small amount of liquids from one place to another.

Never heard of that one, but I could use it. Certain folks (like bosses)would be getting a splash from out of nowhere. And the stuff doesn't have to be water, if you know what I mean. Then I would just walk away like it wasn't my fault.