Earth 616

Archer1120

Hey guys, I keep seeing references to Marvel's Earth 616. What is this? Was it in some storyline? Is there a multiverse in Marvel like there is in the DC Comics? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Arch

616 is the normal marvel univere's number I think. It just means normal marvel. Like ultimate would be 615 or something, but it isn't actually 615.

no... ultimate isn't part of the regular MU at all, its its own thing ...

& yes marvel has different earths, it allways has as far as I've known...

thats what he was saying about Ultimate. He said Ultimate would be Earth 615 or something. I forget Ultimates actual number... I can't find it online either, but I know I have seen it listed before.

Synch, synch, synch!!! Just a bit to fast to reply huh??? Like Rain said, that's not what he said!! This correction coming from someone who asks a lot of comic questions themselves!! LOL!!!

@loll@

all the different marvel "realities" have a different earth number, thats how they keep things in order, well at least try to!! like AOP is a different earth number than our 616, at least thats what i think!!

I suppose all the different Marvel realities could have numbers to distinguish one from another but at least 90% are never labelled as such. The Age of Apocalypse reality doesn't have an official number. However, it's interesting to point out that Marvel's December What If? one-shots will all take place in the same universe: the newly introduced Earth 717. I didn't pick on this detail reading the solicitations but a Newsarama article revealed this interesting bit of news.

OmegaHarbinger

If you read Excaliber (original series with Cap Britian, Meagan, Kitty, Nightcrawler and Phoenix) you get lots of references to 616. I believe the series of "earth hopping" was called the "cross time capers".

More recently 616 was brought up in Cap Britians Xmen appearance with Roma and was a prelude to the new Excaliber book on sale now.

Each earth has a different Cap Britian from the Cap Britian corp and each is numbered after his earth. 616 is Marvel's "main" universe with the Cap we know and love.

Supposedly, all the What If? stories, alternate realities, and divergent timelines all have their own Earth numbers, with the "normal" Marvel Universe being designated #616.

Interestingly enough, back when it used to be a fad at marvel to use the numbers, there was a formula to assigning each with a number. However, that broke down somewhere along the line, and now the writers just try not to use one that's already taken.

If you look at the recent Official Handbook, there is an "Alternate Realities" issue that designates a ton of them with numbers, most of which have never had them before. The Exiles series has also designated a lot of Earths (and made a ton of new ones).

Actually, the different universes are not all numbered (although there are alot that are). 616 is just a reference to the covor date on Fantastic Four #1, which is the issue that started the regular Marvel Universe. There are other alternate realities, such as "Age of Apocalypse", Marvel U.K.", "MC2", "2099". etc.

Actually, the different universes are not all numbered (although there are alot that are).  616 is just a reference to the covor date on Fantastic Four #1, which is the issue that started the regular Marvel Universe.  There are other alternate realities, such as "Age of Apocalypse", Marvel U.K.", "MC2", "2099". etc.

No, that's a common misconception.

RUMOR: Alan Moore designated the "normal" Marvel Universe as 616 because Fantastic Four #1 was either cover dated or shipped June, 1961.

FACT: Fantastic Four #1 is cover dated November, 1961. Although comics are often dated in advance, it is very unlikely that it was a full five months. Even if it was, it's unlikely that Alan Moore, living in England, would have seen it until long after that. Further, Alan Moore has denied any reference; he just picked a number that sounded good.

Once again, if you look at the recent "Alternate Universes" Handbook, you will see that 2099, MC2, and even Spider-Ham have numbered designations. Marvel UK, for the most part, is considered to be part of the 616 universe- after all, the designation came from the Marvel UK book Captain Britain. Age of Apocalypse is one of the few major timelines left that doesn't have a designation, but I may just not be aware of it.

So . . . who's #1? :huh:

Good question. I'm not sure that anything above the 90's was ever clarified. Steven Grant, during his X-Men run, tried to change the "mainstream" Marvel Universe to 611, claiming that several Earths higher in the order had been destroyed, which "bumped up" the 616 Earth. Most fans believe that he wanted to eventually move 616 into the #1 spot, but he's never actually said that to my knowledge.

However, other writers (I think this was in Exiles, but don't quote me) said that every time one reality is destroyed, something takes it's place- there are no holes or "bumping" in the multiverses. The 611 designation was not picked up by anyone else, and has largely been forgotten.

So . . . who's #1?  :huh:

Good question. I'm not sure that anything above the 90's was ever clarified. Steven Grant, during his X-Men run, tried to change the "mainstream" Marvel Universe to 611, claiming that several Earths higher in the order had been destroyed, which "bumped up" the 616 Earth. Most fans believe that he wanted to eventually move 616 into the #1 spot, but he's never actually said that to my knowledge.

However, other writers (I think this was in Exiles, but don't quote me) said that every time one reality is destroyed, something takes it's place- there are no holes or "bumping" in the multiverses. The 611 designation was not picked up by anyone else, and has largely been forgotten.

Well, truth is, Age of Apocalypse would still be 616 Universe. It wasn't an alternate reality, just a new timeline created by a change in the past.

No I think the ultimate universe IS actually a parallel universe because of UF4 crossover

no...  ultimate isn't part of the regular MU at all, its its own thing ...

& yes marvel has different earths,  it allways has as far as I've known...

No I think the ultimate universe IS actually a parallel universe because of UF4 crossover

Which didn't intersect with the 616-verse.......i.e, the Ultimate universe is another world. Slap those numbers on it buddy!

all the different marvel "realities" have a different earth number, thats how they keep things in order, well at least try to!!  like AOP is a different earth number than our 616, at least thats what i think!!

I suppose all the different Marvel realities could have numbers to distinguish one from another but at least 90% are never labelled as such. The Age of Apocalypse reality doesn't have an official number. However, it's interesting to point out that Marvel's December What If? one-shots will all take place in the same universe: the newly introduced Earth 717. I didn't pick on this detail reading the solicitations but a Newsarama article revealed this interesting bit of news.

OmegaHarbinger

717! That will be the coolest universe ever!