J B L Review: Bat Attack 6-pack

Leonardo T Dragon

batrally.jpg

Due to some unexpected free time today (all due to the idiocy of where I work) the BAT Attack review is up! I never used to be a big fan of BATs when I was younger but now I've gained a new appreciation for the automatons-- especially the new "v5" models.

You can read it out at the DTC Review Index and check back later today for the ROCC and the RHINO!

Very funny review @loll@ I enjoyed that being a huge bat fan. I am not getting this pack only because its just not worth it for me. I just can't stand these bats without any swivel arms. @grumpy@ V4 And V5 would of benefited greatly if it had any. Plus the neon green on them are just awful! Remember you saw the Blood red version? Isn't that color much better to use than neon green? Looking at the V3 with the NG is just UGLY!

I love the new Bats AttackPack....especially the Bat v5. It remeinds me of that terminator bat near the end of the marvl run. Anyway I know people #$## and moan about them not having swivel action, but I can see why they dont have it. The arms for the BAts are tiny. If they were to have swivel action the elbow/arm would break off. resulting in alot of unhappy customers. In order for them to even have swivel the elbows would be super huge resulting it a weird looking figure. Besides the fact that the arms rotates at the torso and the waist swivels more than makes up for it. it also gives that entire robotic feel to it somehow.

Your argument for lack of swivels doesnt hold much water. It was a cost cutting measure, it could have been done but just wasn't. No matter, these BATs would still kinda suck with them.

As for the BAT attack, I have to agree with Royal that the colors kinda wreck it. Plus we only get 3 new molds in the set. With those two strikes against it, I dont see myself ordering it.

Plus the neon green on them are just awful! Remember you saw the Blood red version? Isn't that color much better to use than neon green? Looking at the V3 with the NG is just UGLY!

I actually kind alike the green (green is my favorite color, actually). It isn't like the majority of the figure is neon (Ice Cream Soldier or a lot of other BC figures have that flaw), just some flare. In fact, if you switch the V4 arms with one of the previous molds, only the belt is green.

Umm if you haven't noticed it's called battle ANDROID trooper. Android meaning an automaton that resembles a human being. Also I find your excuse of the lack of swivel arm weak. So if the new DTC figures had no swivel arms would you still get them? Low light wouldn't be able to strike a sniper pose, the saw viper can use one arm to hold a weapon, or the Cobra Trooper etc etc. I want my figures to hold a weapon with BOTH arms.

Due to the lack of a swivel arms most of the JvC bats and the VvV bats are unplayable and unposable.

The problem with the V5 isn't the lack of swivel arms (the flaw of ALL new sculpt B.A.T.s) but the fact the arms don't have the same detachment capacity as previous versions. Thus, they can only "exchange" arms with each other where as the other new sculpt B.A.T.s have 5 different attachments available.

The V4 looks pretty cool with two sword arms.

Your argument for lack of swivels doesnt hold much water. It was a cost cutting measure, it could have been done but just wasn't. No matter, these BATs would still kinda suck with them.

As for the BAT attack, I have to agree with Royal that the colors kinda wreck it. Plus we only get 3 new molds in the set. With those two strikes against it, I dont see myself ordering it.

Actually, we only got ONE new mold. We just got three of that mold.

Umm if you haven't noticed it's called battle ANDROID trooper. Android meaning an automaton that resembles a human being. Also I find your excuse of the lack of swivel arm weak. So if the new DTC figures had no swivel arms would you still get them? Low light wouldn't be able to strike a sniper pose, the saw viper can use one arm to hold a weapon, or the Cobra Trooper etc etc. I want my figures to hold a weapon with BOTH arms.

Due to the lack of a swivel arms most of the JvC bats and the VvV bats are unplayable and unposable.

And the key word here is RESEMBLES.

The B.A.T.s are not limited to humanoid limitations on joints. Thus, they could have a whole lot more articulation and swivel parts than a human character.

Yet these ones have less.

V5 isn't a bad looking bat. Its just the damn neon green. It's a Sigma Six bat not venom vs valor. Even the cartoons had the COLOR RED on them. Needless to say BATs would be better if they had swivel arms just like every other gijoe figure. I remember you guys were angry and livid of the 2002 figures with the T-crotches. Well its the same thing here with the arms.

I see all your points about the swivel arm and the look of the figures. That being said we can just agree to disagree. I love em. The Bats we have come with weapons already attached to them so they dont need to"hold" weapons per say. Even if they did need to hold one, they have the strength of 10 or more men, so they would be able to hold the weapon in one hand without worrying about it recoiling back on them or knocking them back. I still think they are great representations of the BATS. We're thinking way to much into it anyway. We're making excuses for not wanting a figure and making reasons why we should have them. Im going to go play with my new RHINO. Now thats a vehicle no one can find fault in....not even you Royal :)

As always great review, I order 2 of the bat packs and thinking of getting a few more of the packs, I like the new version of the bat BUT I have yet to get recieve mine in the mail yet.

I see all your points about the swivel arm and the look of the figures. That being said we can just agree to disagree. I love em. The Bats we have come with weapons already attached to them so they dont need to"hold" weapons per say. Even if they did need to hold one, they have the strength of 10 or more men, so they would be able to hold the weapon in one hand without worrying about it recoiling back on them or knocking them back. I still think they are great representations of the BATS. We're thinking way to much into it anyway. We're making excuses for not wanting a figure and making reasons why we should have them. Im going to go play with my new RHINO. Now thats a vehicle no one can find fault in....not even you Royal :)

Well one interesting thing is that the designs of the V5 guns are as if the guns are attached to regular hands. As opposed to other B.A.T. models where the gun IS the hand.

They could just as easily, IMO, have made the hands normal then have the guns attach to them.

I love the v5 BAT! I think it's the best version yet. It's certainly the most menacing looking.

I don't mind the lack of arm swivel. The BATs aren't incredibly mobile. In my mind, Cobra just points them in the right direction and lets them go. The move forward and shoot whatever's in their way. They can react but not very swiftly. They just keep going until they're destroyed. Therefore, they don't need to have extra swivel joints and manuverability.

Let's look at it from a logic standpoint. Is the lack of elbow swivel a way to cut costs? Yes. By Hasbro and Cobra. Cobra needs to keep the costs of the BATs down. In order to make the vast amounts of BATs that Cobra employs, they'd have to cost costs somewhere on these things. In order to employ maximum (and superhuman movements that some fans seem to want) manuverabilty, Cobra would have to pay millions per BAT. Therefore, Cobra cuts corners where they can. No elbow articulation. Not much armor. Limited usefulness.

As for the neon green...I actually don't mind it. I hate neon on Joe or Cobra characters. However, the BATs are very sci-fiy and let's face it...just a little goofy. I think the neon plays into that. And it's a nice eyepopping offset to what would otherwise be a monotone color scheme.

I actually like the Overkill repaint. He fits in nicely with this group of BATs and, as stated, looks more finished. The pure rust color from Wave 7 never quite worked for me.

The v4 BAT is just too small. Add in the goofy bike shorts, and you have the worst BAT yet. However, they'll just be lining up anyway so no big worries. The rest of the pack makes up for it.

I can't wait till my for 4 packs to show up. Should be any day now.

I was sold on the pack to begin with, as i think they look cool as hell as is, but Freds pictures only solidify that feeling and make it a must have. Likely 2-3 packs.

Do you guys think that this set will end up more popular than the 2002 internet exclusive B.A.T. 6-pack or no?

Hard to say. The earlier 6-pack got almost no coverage.

I've got a review of it around here somewhere. (Shuffles through computer files.)

If I can find it I'll post it for comparison purposes.