Hi-res Pics Of All Of Dtc Wave 3

JayC

Thanks Jay for the pics! Below is my two ¢ents:

Hasbro should have came up with a new dreadnok instead of saying it's Monkey Wrench. The figure is cool, but isn't Monkey Wrench for me. Good parts for customs though!

The Saw Viper looks good as well, although it looks like he's smiling to me.

As for the Cobra Trooper he looks good, except for the helmet.

Med Alert I'm still unsure about...

Grand Slam not too bad, but again those grenades have got to go!

Low Light, yeah it looks like him but I wish they would have made a new head with non-removable googles.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well once again, I like this wave, but I still think alittle more Frankenjoe should havve gone on here. Monkey Wrench looks pretty cool, looks like he has a modified Obi wan head, but that may just be me. The SAW Viper is my fav of this bunch, and the Cobra Trooper (even though, I think he should have had a different torso) is really growing on me.

lowlights probly my favorite in the wave, with the SAW viper being second. the cobra trooper just looks.... off. like hes almost there, but not quite. i think its a combination of the boots, blue mask, and off center cobra symbol.

and grand slam, you gotta lay off the sauce brutha.

Did Grand Slam barf all over himself or something?

@loll@

These guys aren't too bad although I'm not really into the Saw Viper. I do like the trooper but think that the helmet could have been a little better. I mean how many other helmets like this could they have used?

I wonder who's head is under that Saw Viper helmet anyway.

I like these more now that I've seen better pics of them but they are still pretty lazy repaints when a little creativity could have made them so much better.

The Cobra Trooper looks better than before but still needs a black facemask, which I happen to have all ready to go. The uniform still doesn't seem right. I wanted something that blends with the RAH Cobras.

I bet that SAW Viper has Rollbar's peachfuzz head under there. I wonder if the helmet is removable or glued in place?

And please Hasbro, for the love of God, stop it with the goatees already!!! I hate them. Grand Slam was clean shaven in 1983 so why mess with that?? Does the % of Joes w/ goatees coincide with the actual % of the population that sports them? It seems rediculously high to me. I thinkn its become a running joke now - have to have a goatee in every wave.

I LOVE THE COBRA TROOPER---------i may use him in a"INFANTRY SUB GROUP"----NO WAY HE'LL REPLACE MY 6 PACK TROOPERS !!

I LIKE THE MEDIC ASPECT!!!!!!------HAVENT WE ALL BEEN COMPLAINING FOREVER ABOUT NOT HAVING AN ACTUAL MEDIC!!!!

THE SAW VIPER ------IS OK-------HE MAY GROW ON ME!!

LOW LIGHT------SAME HES OK--------BUT LIKE EVERYONE ELSE HE DESERVED A HEAD UPDATE AT LEAST ---NOT TORPEDO GOES TO THE EYE DOCTOR TREATMENT!!!!!

GRANDSLAM--------LIKE YOU ALL-----WTF???!!!!!!

MONKEY WRENCH-----IS PROBABLY THE BEST BUT AS WITH ANYTHING NEW-------ILL WAIT TO I HAVE THEMALL IN MY HANDS TO PASS FINAL JUDGEMENT!!

LATER

DOC

Thanks for the pics JayC.

My opinions on this selection hasn't changed though. The COBRA Trooper looks lame while Monkeywrench and the SAW-Viper both look great.

My only worry now is that the SAW-Viper's helmet is non-removable. If this is the first COBRA soldier who doesn't wear a mask or something to hide his face then I'll pass.

Other than Med Alert, I am in total awe. WOW. And I am very surprised at myself too because I am not usually a fan of reused parts for new characters.. but DANG, Dwight did such a good job with these that I can completely overlook my usual hang-up. :)

(PS Thanks for the excellent pics!)

Grand slam one of my all time fav's and look what they did to him!!! this i think is a bigger slap in the face then "double clutch!" they should of went with his silver pads and a jet pack!!!!and really what! is that a goatee or what is it? looks like he was lookin for love in all the wrong places! the others really are pretty good if i still collected new sculpt stuff i would pick em up for sure!

TM

Why? Grand Slam is/was a Laser Artillery Trooper, not a Jet Pack Trooper (THAT was Starduster).

My opinions:

Grand Slam - Blows. The figure looks terrible.

Cobra Trooper - Ehh... It's not a 6-pack Cobra Trooper, but I think I'll find a use for this figure. Maybe he'll be a Cobra Auxilliary troop! A conscript or something.

Monkeywrench - I don't know. The longcoat makes him look more like a pimp than a biker, but I'm still sorta diggin' the style.

Med Alert - Very suprised by how much I like this figure. I like the hard-drive body a lot and so this looks pretty good to me.

SAW Viper - Wow. Really dig it. I think he looks bad-ass with his slightly stubby real world SAW.

Lowlight - I've always liked the figure and I think this looks pretty good.

All in all, I'm definitely going to buy them. Not sure how many Cobra Troopers I'll buy... but I may get me a liddle army of Saw Vipers.

And no matter what, this all looks a hell of a lot better than S6 crud. If there wasn't a DTC (and S6 was all there was), I wouldn't be buying JOEs anymore.

Low-Light: As with Clutch using the Recondo mold, this mold works better for Low-Light than Torpedo. Probably blonde, since they went for a version 1 look.

S.A.W.-Viper: Went for the version 1 look, but I think coulda used different legs. I'm also guessing this guy is going to be a unique character. That is unless the helmet isn't removable or he has a cowl like the Aero-Viper.

Cobra Trooper: That off-center Cobra symbol really screws this mold up (as it did with Ghost Bear) and the helmet DOES look a little too big.

Crash Cart: This is NOT Lifeline, so he shouldn't look like him (just give us friggin' Lifeline!). The belt seems out of place. Considering all the new accessories, I think they coulda made a belt with a more utilitarian look (well, medically speaking). The head is interesting. It reminds me of someone (the way Barrel Roll's reminds me of Christopher Meloni), I just can't quite tell whom. Maybe without the helmet...

Grand Slam: Heh, it DOES look like barf! Probably just a trick of the light (he appears to have either dark blonde or light brown hair). Too much red (not needed on the shoulders) and, of course, the grenades.

Monkey Wrench: Doesn't quite work, but not bad, considering repainted parts. Leatherneck's glasses painted silver would help. "Reading is Life?" #WTF#

What's with all the shotguns they keep giving people?

Monkey Wrench: Doesn't quite work, but not bad, considering repainted parts. Leatherneck's glasses painted silver would help. "Reading is Life?" #WTF#

I think the shirt actually reads "Dreadnok for Life" My opinion of MW has improved now that I have a nice close look of him. The new headsculpt is okay, but I agree pesatyl, that if they were making a new head anyway, why couldn't they have made it so he could use the Leatherneck sunglasses. I LOVE the trenchcoat, though.

And I agree that they could have used the "tech shotgun" they have, or simply molded a new combat shotgun (because you KNOW they could reuse it for Flint or Falcon). Btw, notice the sweet new shotgun with Med Alert?

My opinions on the wave really haven't changed, my views on most of the figures remain the same (though, I'm miffed I was wrong about the head sculpt on Low-Light, curse his funky neck joint @grumpy@ )

Low Light: I really like this one, like Footloose, with just a few different paint masks, swapped limbs and some new/different accessories, Hasbro made a mostly repainted figure seem new. I love the little map on his thigh, hopefully that makes it through to most production level figures.

Saw Viper: Hmmm, like LowLight, he has 2005 spec arms, which give the added bonus of swivel wrists. I am a bit dissappointed that some people have so little imagination left as to say he is a unique character just because he might have a full head sculpt. Leave the helmet on and he is just another trooper.

Grand Slam: I'll agree that the facial hair doesn't look good, hopefully the actual production run will look better. Not as bad as initial pics made him out to be, the red is broken up by the other colors on the torso and I LOVE his laser rifle.

Med Alert: My opinion has improved by seeing a better colored image of him. The Hard Drive mold is an inspired choice and I think they did a good job with the new head and helmet. Like the new Shotgun.

What I don't get is why does he HAVE to be Lifeline? Is it so hard to imagine maybe there are more than one medics in red and white (y'know, uniformality). I don't care if you WANT to use him as Lifeline, but I don't know where some are assuming that he was DESIGNED as Lifeline.

Cobra Infantry- I still like him. While I agree in that his head would work better in black (if to break up the blue than anything), I don't see any of the decisions made as particularly bad choices. The Ghost Bear torso is not a particularly remembered mold and even with the off center sigil (which I don't view as bad a thing as some, gives him a little flair), I think using it is an unexpected surprise (in a good way). I think the only mold that would have worked better would have been the 2004 Razor Trooper.

Monkey Wrench:  Doesn't quite work, but not bad, considering repainted parts.  Leatherneck's glasses painted silver would help.  "Reading is Life?"  #WTF#

I think the shirt actually reads "Dreadnok for Life" My opinion of MW has improved now that I have a nice close look of him. The new headsculpt is okay, but I agree pesatyl, that if they were making a new head anyway, why couldn't they have made it so he could use the Leatherneck sunglasses. I LOVE the trenchcoat, though.

And I agree that they could have used the "tech shotgun" they have, or simply molded a new combat shotgun (because you KNOW they could reuse it for Flint or Falcon). Btw, notice the sweet new shotgun with Med Alert?

My opinions on the wave really haven't changed, my views on most of the figures remain the same (though, I'm miffed I was wrong about the head sculpt on Low-Light, curse his funky neck joint @grumpy@ )

Low Light: I really like this one, like Footloose, with just a few different paint masks, swapped limbs and some new/different accessories, Hasbro made a mostly repainted figure seem new. I love the little map on his thigh, hopefully that makes it through to most production level figures.

Saw Viper: Hmmm, like LowLight, he has 2005 spec arms, which give the added bonus of swivel wrists. I am a bit dissappointed that some people have so little imagination left as to say he is a unique character just because he might have a full head sculpt. Leave the helmet on and he is just another trooper.

Grand Slam: I'll agree that the facial hair doesn't look good, hopefully the actual production run will look better. Not as bad as initial pics made him out to be, the red is broken up by the other colors on the torso and I LOVE his laser rifle.

Med Alert: My opinion has improved by seeing a better colored image of him. The Hard Drive mold is an inspired choice and I think they did a good job with the new head and helmet. Like the new Shotgun.

What I don't get is why does he HAVE to be Lifeline? Is it so hard to imagine maybe there are more than one medics in red and white (y'know, uniformality). I don't care if you WANT to use him as Lifeline, but I don't know where some are assuming that he was DESIGNED as Lifeline.

Cobra Infantry- I still like him. While I agree in that his head would work better in black (if to break up the blue than anything), I don't see any of the decisions made as particularly bad choices. The Ghost Bear torso is not a particularly remembered mold and even with the off center sigil (which I don't view as bad a thing as some, gives him a little flair), I think using it is an unexpected surprise (in a good way). I think the only mold that would have worked better would have been the 2004 Razor Trooper.

Well, initial pics of Footloose had a full goatee, but final production was just a moustache.

We have like five or six guys coming with shotguns (and, yeah, I noticed Crash Cart's shotgun).

As for the figure, I think they did it as a nod to Lifeline. The general consensus (though I could be wrong) is that it is lame for them to do that instead of building him up as his own character.

And, what are 2005 spec arms?

I am floored by Monkeywrench. he really looks great. and the Saw Viper is really nice too. GS is boring, Cobra Solder still not any good, Crash Cart just plain ugly, and Lowlight the most disapointing. why change the arms for a worse pair than Torpedos.

I'd just prefer it if he had a cowl or something, to keep in tradition with all the other COBRA troops now and in year's past. Part of what's always made the COBRA legions so menacing is their committment never to reveal their identities so you'd never really know who was behind that mask.

Plus I think it would be a little lazy just to use Rollbar's exact head sculpt and I'm fearful that's just what Hasbro has done.

Wow...I'm really impressed with the Cobra Trooper now. I really like the looks of it. I plan on getting as many as I can of this figure. I also really like the SAW Viper. I was never big on the Rollbar mold but I like this figure. Low-Light is ok, not great but good. Glad I reserved judgement on MW. Really good looking figure. I'm going to pass on Med Alert and Grand Slam...Really the low points of this wave for me, especially Med Alert.

These pictures make me want to buy one of each figure. The Cobra Trooper looks better to me now. I'm hoping they fix the bad paint job on Grand Slam's face. If not, it's just another case of Hasbro f---ing up something on a figure to keep it from being great. They do it all the time with both Joes and Star Wars. His rifle looks like it could be mounted on a vehicle. I wonder if they will make a cannon for him to operate. I still have my HAL if they don't.

Grand slam one of my all time fav's and look what they did to him!!! this i think is a bigger slap in the face then "double clutch!" they should of went with his silver pads and a jet pack!!!!and really what! is that a goatee or what is it? looks like he was lookin for love in all the wrong places! the others really are pretty good if i still collected new sculpt stuff i would pick em up for sure!

TM

Why? Grand Slam is/was a Laser Artillery Trooper, not a Jet Pack Trooper (THAT was Starduster).

Grand slam came with both the H.A.L and the J.U.M.P jet pack! he's best known as a jet pack guy...as is star duster! but Grand slam was first! unless you were thinking of Flash??

TM

OK first I must say is that why do all of you just complain about the DTC line.

First you have to remeber, the 80's are gone GI Joe now will never be like it was back then, want to know why because, I'm sure that there is a new development team, the ones from the 80's are probably either working for a new company, moved up in the company, quit, retired, or even dead.

So what I'm saying is that if you compare the DTC line to the GI Joe stuff 4 years ago, I say the DTC line is a M-A-J-O-R improvement as fas as mold and vehicle sculpts go. Sure there are some hit and misses but no one is perfect, because there were some hit and misses w/ the 80's line as well.

So compare:

First, GI Joe vs. Cobra line we get Crappy new sculps, T-Crotches, crappy sound atttack weponds, lame vehicles w/ scrappy sound attack, more crappy repaints of already crappy molds, just pure crap.

Second, The Spy Troops line featuring out of porportion sculpts, tall and lanky figures whose arms are longer than their legs, crappy sound attack weponds, crappy vehicles w/ sound attack.

Third, The Valor vs. Venom line, featuring crappy T-Crotches w/ butt plugs again (but we did get O-Ring treatment later on), some crappy molds did get better in wave 6 and 7, crappy sound attack still on some vehicles but starting to go away on vehicles later down the wave.

And now the DTC,

I don't know whats wrong w/ you guys but the DTC Lline is way far better than what was offered in the GI Joe 3 3/4 line 4 years ago.

We get single carded figures w/ box art, cool looking vehicles w/ no sound attack, Action attack I don't like but I rather have that than the crappy sound attack, nice well proportion new sculpts, and cool characters are coming back, and best of all more army builders.

So if T-Crotches and sound attack are your thing, then go back to collecting GI Joe vs. Cobra, Spy Troops, and Valor vs. Venom instead.

So just stop b-I-T-C-H-I-N' about it you morons and support the DTC line.

love it, hate it, love it, hate it... still gonna buy it though...