Wave 3 Dtc Pics From Ebay Auction

Operator7G

Joe fans are NEVER happy. Ever.

Glad Hasbro doesnt get to do whatever it wants with Star Wars figures, that is to say, George Lucas and his folks determine what the toys look like, because if it were up to hasbro, Star Wars would be crappy too.

@loll@

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad Hasbro doesnt get to do whatever it wants with Star Wars figures, that is to say, George Lucas and his folks determine what the toys look like, because if it were up to hasbro, Star Wars would be crappy too.

@loll@

Star Wars toys are not crappy? @loll@

Hopefully this will be my last post for this thread. Obviously it's impossible to satisfy everyone on a large scale. I mean everyone has their own tastes and am amazed with all the critical responses (mine as well obviously) the Joes get in general. I assume other toy lines are treated similar. But somewhere a balance of satisfaction exists. A sensus should prove "x" efforts produce "x" results.

You speak the truth Buckwheat. Thank you Hasbro, but i'm passing on this wave! Just like Clam says, too many reused parts. I'm not spending hard earned money on this wave 3. But i will be buying tons of snow serpents, hehehehehe. Now that is a quality figure!!

@loll@

Star Wars toys are not crappy? @loll@

not lately. and at least you wont find them using the same body sculpt for mace windu, ploo koon, obi wan and kit fisto..

as matter of fact, every jedi in the rots line is unique, they even managed to add subtle differences in the clones, though many are well, clones of each other.

but if GI Joe can find one single thing that can hold a candle to the Evolution Packs, let me know (I collect joe too by the way)

not lately. and at least you wont find them using the same body sculpt for mace windu, ploo koon, obi wan and kit fisto..

as matter of fact, every jedi in the rots line is unique, they even managed to add subtle differences in the clones, though many are well, clones of each other.

but if GI Joe can find one single thing that can hold a candle to the Evolution Packs, let me know (I collect joe too by the way)

No, you just get endless rehash and not even half of poseability as you get with Joes. :)

As for the Evo. packs, it's rehash in a fancy package for $20. :)

That is great that star wars is hype, but this is a joe board. There is a difference in the way George Luca does things and the way hasbro does things.

Maybe the star wars figures are better, but the movies were average at best, because lucas wrote the script, and had no clue on timing.

Again there are going to be good and bad figures, I don't think you can satisfy everyone, and that is okay. I think its unrealistic to think that every figure hasbro is going to make is going to be good.

Like the guy above said, he so going to pass on wave 3 but buy extra snow serpents.

I think that is the point, buy the figures you like and pass on the ones you don't.

It is unfortunate, if your favourite character is re done and you don't like it, as one of my top characters are the cobra trooper/ officer figure. But luckily they have the night watch.

OTOH I have yet to see one Star wars figure not optimised for a particular pose or group of simialr posses: this means that two Joes with the same body mold buit different head sculpts look like two different soldiers wearing the same uniforms: two Jedi's using two star wars body molds and different heads look like a 3d version of something produced with photoshop.

but if GI Joe can find one single thing that can hold a candle to the Evolution Packs, let me know  (I collect joe too by the way)

No, you just get endless rehash and not even half of poseability as you get with Joes. :)

right, but star wars is still on retail shelves, and the product line continues to grow, as a matter of fact, if it werent for star wars, Hasbro would not have made AS MUCH money as they did, it certainly wasnt GI Joe that did it for them, and I say this as the biggest of GI Joe fans, it has just been my miserable experience to see a toyline I love turn into a joke.

but I have purchased the DTC Stuff and Sigma Six to support my favorite toyline, I just wish that Hasbro would give a #$% about gi joe and give it the attention it deserves, if they did, the product would still be a top seller and a the characters would be unique, not just rehashes ;-) and re-used molds with bizzare weapons and even stranger colors.

but if GI Joe can find one single thing that can hold a candle to the Evolution Packs, let me know  (I collect joe too by the way)

do you own the evolution packs ? They are completely different from ANYTHING Star Wars has come out with, the characters are re-done, but the molding and articulation is in no way a re hash, if you own it but havent opened it, do so , if you do not own but have only looked at the packages, dont comment on them, it is a totally different experience to open the evolution packs and play with them.

I PRAY that hasbro would do a GI Joe character Evolutions pack, it would be awesome and something GI Joe deserves to have.

At least Joes don't have those NON-articulated clone troopers.

Like I said before, I'm sure once we see better pictures, people's opinions will solidify a bit more than the knee-jerk reactions to these small pics.

For example, the Cobra Trooper pic in another thread. The Ghost Bear mold works a lot better for the Trooper than it did for Ghost Bear (except that the off-center Cobra symbol looks really stupid).

My only real problem is integrating these guys into my armies.

right, but star wars is still on retail shelves, and the product line continues to grow, as a matter of fact, if it werent for star wars, Hasbro would not have made AS MUCH money as they did, it certainly wasnt GI Joe that did it for them, and I say this as the biggest of GI Joe fans, it has just been my miserable experience to see a toyline I love turn into a joke.

For one, it wasn't that Joe was failing; it was a decision at Hasbro to focus entirely on the Sigma Six line and push it at retail. I really think if it wasn't for the fan-blacklash Hasbro got, there wouldn't be a DTC at all.

Hasbro didn't take over the Star Wars license until, what was it, 1999? Even then, they still maintained the same style of figure -- which was horribly outdated -- that Kenner had produced. Even then, it was a while until Star Wars figures gained more than five points of articulation on average. It wasn't until the last assortment of Clone Wars figures that the sculpts became neutral, that is to say, weren't designed with specific poses or scenes in mind. Its taken Hasbro until now, with ROTS, to produce figures with "super articulation," which really only now puts them on par with G.I. Joe's articulation. Still, I'd say less than a quarter of their overall product is given the added articulation, which seems to be reserved for major characters only after several other sculpts had already been released. That leaves you with the same problem Hasbro has with Joe; an over-abundance of key characters either re-released or re-designed. So really, to say if Hasbro had the final word over Lucas in regards to design that it would effect the figures negatively seems to be biased towards the Star Wars line in general. If anything, Lucas' hesitation to update the figures' playability hurt that line more than anything Hasbro's done with G.I. Joe.

Back on topic, being that Hasbro hadn't taken over Star Wars until '99, I doubt they've made more money with that line than they have with G.I. Joe. Hasbro made a killing with Joe between '82 to '94, although the last year or so saw it's decline. Regardless, twelve years of steady sales for one of the most popular "boys toys" definitely put some cash in their pockets. Not to mention the Transformers license. Ontop of that, Hasbro makes a killing with board games and assorted electronic games. By the time Star Wars came into their hands, they had already re-released several three packs through Toys R Us, and a year after their involvement with Star Wars began, we saw a second rebirth pop up in 2000 with the RAH re-iusses. After the relaunch came around with GVC, then eventually the loss of the blasted t-crotch and evolution into into Spy Troops, Joe was gaining popularity again.

I think its safe to say G.I. Joe has made more money overall for Hasbro than Star Wars has, although I'm curious myself and would love to see some actual documentation. Now don't get me wrong, I've always been a Star Wars fan but even as a kid, I passed on the figures. When I had G.I. Joe, nothing else compared. I loved putting them in all different sorts of poses and having as much control over them as I could, I recognized the limited potential of the sculpts Kenner was giving us at the time. Same reason why I never owned a Batman movie figure other than the ToyBiz Batman from the first film. It wasn't until this last year that I've started collecting Star Wars figures beginning with ROTS, although I'm still very selective about which figures I buy. For example, the Sith Evolution pack; I would have killed for a SA Darth Maul, which would have made more sense being that the original ROTS Dooku had more than adequate articulation whereas there's never been a decently articulated Darth Maul. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the '06 Saga line will feature less rehashes and more updated and articulated sculpts, sort of taking ROTS figures to the next level.

This has mainly been more of a SW related post, so I'm going to take this back over to the Joe side considering what forum we're in :D Unfortunately, I agree with you as for Joe having been turned into a bit of a joke. I'd love to see this line grow, whether it be DTC or back in retail, but unless they get some people with a better eye for part choices on the design team, I don't see DTC going much further than a fourth or fifth wave. Hopefully "frankensteined" figures will get better with the next series, but it would definitely benefit Hasbro to release some of the new sculpt figures we've seen pop up on eBay from overseas the next time around as well. DTC needs to make money, plain and simple. Unfortunately, they might have a hard time doing so if their future waves resemble wave three.

Does anyone think that the SAW Viper & Grand Slam have camo or a color paint wipe?

I remember when the first pics of the Winter Patrol Mirage surfaced.. most didn't see the figure as being "clear" & those that did were told that they were crazy & that it was just the photograph playing tricks.. lol.. low & behold, the figure did turn out to be clear.

So with these 2, as I look at them, I see either camo paint (darker OD on Grand Slam & almost "urban" looking on the SAW Viper), or I see a colored paint wipe to create basically the same look.

Does anyone else see this?

Perhaps I am wrong & am the "crazy one" this time.. lml. :D

Its kinda hard to tell though.

For one, it wasn't that Joe was failing; it was a decision at Hasbro to focus entirely on the Sigma Six line and push it at retail. I really think if it wasn't for the fan-blacklash Hasbro got, there wouldn't be a DTC at all.

Hasbro didn't take over the Star Wars license until, what was it, 1999? Even then, they still maintained the same style of figure -- which was horribly outdated -- that Kenner had produced. Even then, it was a while until Star Wars figures gained more than five points of articulation on average. It wasn't until the last assortment of Clone Wars figures that the sculpts became neutral, that is to say, weren't designed with specific poses or scenes in mind. Its taken Hasbro until now, with ROTS, to produce figures with "super articulation," which really only now puts them on par with G.I. Joe's articulation. Still, I'd say less than a quarter of their overall product is given the added articulation, which seems to be reserved for major characters only after several other sculpts had already been released. That leaves you with the same problem Hasbro has with Joe; an over-abundance of key characters either re-released or re-designed. So really, to say if Hasbro had the final word over Lucas in regards to design that it would effect the figures negatively seems to be biased towards the Star Wars line in general. If anything, Lucas' hesitation to update the figures' playability hurt that line more than anything Hasbro's done with G.I. Joe.

Back on topic, being that Hasbro hadn't taken over Star Wars until '99, I doubt they've made more money with that line than they have with G.I. Joe. Hasbro made a killing with Joe between '82 to '94, although the last year or so saw it's decline. Regardless, twelve years of steady sales for one of the most popular "boys toys" definitely put some cash in their pockets. Not to mention the Transformers license. Ontop of that, Hasbro makes a killing with board games and assorted electronic games. By the time Star Wars came into their hands, they had already re-released several three packs through Toys R Us, and a year after their involvement with Star Wars began, we saw a second rebirth pop up in 2000 with the RAH re-iusses. After the relaunch came around with GVC, then eventually the loss of the blasted t-crotch and evolution into into Spy Troops, Joe was gaining popularity again.

I think its safe to say G.I. Joe has made more money overall for Hasbro than Star Wars has, although I'm curious myself and would love to see some actual documentation. Now don't get me wrong, I've always been a Star Wars fan but even as a kid, I passed on the figures. When I had G.I. Joe, nothing else compared. I loved putting them in all different sorts of poses and having as much control over them as I could, I recognized the limited potential of the sculpts Kenner was giving us at the time. Same reason why I never owned a Batman movie figure other than the ToyBiz Batman from the first film. It wasn't until this last year that I've started collecting Star Wars figures beginning with ROTS, although I'm still very selective about which figures I buy. For example, the Sith Evolution pack; I would have killed for a SA Darth Maul, which would have made more sense being that the original ROTS Dooku had more than adequate articulation whereas there's never been a decently articulated Darth Maul. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the '06 Saga line will feature less rehashes and more updated and articulated sculpts, sort of taking ROTS figures to the next level.

This has mainly been more of a SW related post, so I'm going to take this back over to the Joe side considering what forum we're in :D Unfortunately, I agree with you as for Joe having been turned into a bit of a joke. I'd love to see this line grow, whether it be DTC or back in retail, but unless they get some people with a better eye for part choices on the design team, I don't see DTC going much further than a fourth or fifth wave. Hopefully "frankensteined" figures will get better with the next series, but it would definitely benefit Hasbro to release some of the new sculpt figures we've seen pop up on eBay from overseas the next time around as well. DTC needs to make money, plain and simple. Unfortunately, they might have a hard time doing so if their future waves resemble wave three.

Here is my point, I will make it shorter for you.

I love GI Joe, I have almost everything ever released in the 3 3/4" line and ALL of the Sigma Six stuff, I am an equally big star wars fan and since both lines are produced by the same company, why cant they both have the same quality and push.

I hate that GI Joe has gotten pushed back and I am left with 2nd rate figures when Hasbro could easily have done better, thats all. But do not get me wrong, I will get this wave just as I got the first two and I am sure I will army build the cobra troopers. I am just dissapointed that Hasbro seems to be letting the 3 3/4" line die a slow death.

Though this months Master Collector Newsletter has stated that a new Jung Viper and Jungle Frag Viper are forthcoming as part of a 4 part figure release, that sounds pretty exciting.

BTW, wasnt Outback supposed to be in this wave?

Does anyone think that the SAW Viper & Grand Slam have camo or a color paint wipe?

I remember when the first pics of the Winter Patrol Mirage surfaced.. most didn't see the figure as being "clear" & those that did were told that they were crazy & that it was just the photograph playing tricks.. lol.. low & behold, the figure did turn out to be clear.

So with these 2, as I look at them, I see either camo paint (darker OD on Grand Slam & almost "urban" looking on the SAW Viper), or I see a colored paint wipe to create basically the same look.

Does anyone else see this?

Perhaps I am wrong & am the "crazy one" this time.. lml. :D

Its kinda hard to tell though.

Well, with the new close-up pics posted.. I guess I was wrong about the camo (wasn't the first, won't be the last.. lol). :D Awe well.. I am still pleased as punch regardless. #US1#

Though this months Master Collector Newsletter has stated that a new Jung Viper and Jungle Frag Viper are forthcoming as part of a 4 part figure release, that sounds pretty exciting.

BTW, wasnt Outback supposed to be in this wave?

Outback was just on the Amazon list (along with Airtight, for example) to be done in either wave 3 or 4.

As for the Jungle and Frag Vipers, it's only exciting if you have $30 to spend on each figure (and that's assuming your a member).

I'm curious, do a lot of people actually buy the master collector figures?

I for one can't afford $30 to spend on a single action figure.

The Dreadnok set looked tempting... but I just can't justify that level of expenditure with how little I'd be recieving.

I do, I got the MARS Meyhem set, not the dreadnok set, but Clear Zartan and Jungle Viper were must have's for me. The Gung Ho that just came out would be nice, but I have to set down $60 to get him and get stuck with two other figures I do not want.