Wave 3 Dtc Pics From Ebay Auction

Operator7G

I already have a bunch of Cobra Troopers from the 6-packs so I don't need these new one's plus I have been thinking of a reason why Cobra would have a new look for them or a second kind of Trooper.

I've decided to have these new Troopers and possibly the upcoming Officer (if they really are in wave 5) be my new HISS crew. The Night Creeper does not work with the HISS but I think the new Troopers would go well with it.

I'm thinking have an Officer drive the HISS and another Officer man the gun turret. Put 2-4 Troopers in the back.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@hmmm@ I will be picking up lowlight, I am ususally not a big fan of joe figs, but something about him always was cool back in the day...maybe that sexy accent @loll@ I think its the goggles.

I dont know what to make of the rest of the wave, well at least I'll get off easy this wave......I will get 4 saw vipers, 10 cobra troopers, and lowlight.

All in all this wave could have been ALOT better, but I am satisfied.

I also agree that the ball was dropped on the cobra trooper.

All these guys were slated to be part of the Robot Rebellion them as well. Whether or not they originally intended to reuse so many molds or create more unique molds is the question. Personally, I think they did exactly what they intended to do. Had G.I. Joe remained at retail, all the DTC figures we've seen thus far wouldn't be any different than what we got (well, maybe a few minor changes here and there).

It won't be until wave 5 and later that we really start seeing "new" stuff.

this doesn't make much sense. so at retail Hasbro was going to switch from brand new sculpts, which they were doing great with by the looks of wave 7 and DTC wave 1, to repaints, yet are going to produce all new sculpts for DTC which has a smaller consumer base where it would be more difficult to recoup the cost of producting new molds.

that doesn't make any sense. if Hasbro was going to go straight repaints for retail why produce new molds just for DTC? why not continue with the repaints? why new olds at all? the focus of DTC is obviously cheaper production costs, which is why repaints (which we are seeing), as opposed to retail in which the volume of product produced can support the cost of new sculpting and molding on a large scale of intricate body parts.

not to seem argumentative but you are going to have to clarify the logic in that, as it seems more a rationalization than possibility.

All these guys were slated to be part of the Robot Rebellion them as well.  Whether or not they originally intended to reuse so many molds or create more unique molds is the question.  Personally, I think they did exactly what they intended to do.  Had G.I. Joe remained at retail, all the DTC figures we've seen thus far wouldn't be any different than what we got (well, maybe a few minor changes here and there).

Considering the trends of the line in waves 6 and 7, had the line remained at retail, we probably wouldn't be seeing that many frankenjoes at all. They'd either be completely new (like Mutt, Barrel Roll, and Scrap Iron) or repaints (Link Talbot, Viper from wave 7).

I have to say I'm a little miffed at people saying Hasbro was lazy with this wave. While we aren't seeing much in the way of new figure parts, there IS a lot of new accessories:

Low-Light- New head (I'm 99% certain), new sniper rifle, looks like 2005 spec arms.

SAW Viper- New head, new rifle, new backpack (which matches the vest)

Cobra Infantry- Some kind of new weapon in the lower left hand corner, might be dublicated in the upper right behind the figure. Also, I think it might be the Range Viper core head on the figure, not Beachhead.

Grand Slam- Can't say for certain on the head (helmet looks like NO Rollbar's), he has a new rifle

Med-Alert- Modified DTC Hiss rifle plus the helmet

Monkeywrench- New trench coat, the bladed weapon looks new, cant' tell on the shotguns (?)

Again, MW and Med Alert really aren't doing much for me, but I'm not going to say Hasbro didn't try. These are some really crappy pics and I suspect we aren't seeing a lot of details with the figures. I think it is far too early to condem Hasbro over this wave

Sure, but it seems a trade off this time around

No new figures/molds, but lots of new weapons/gear. Wave 1 and 2 we got both.

All these guys were slated to be part of the Robot Rebellion them as well.  Whether or not they originally intended to reuse so many molds or create more unique molds is the question.  Personally, I think they did exactly what they intended to do.  Had G.I. Joe remained at retail, all the DTC figures we've seen thus far wouldn't be any different than what we got (well, maybe a few minor changes here and there).

this doesn't make much sense. so at retail Hasbro was going to switch from brand new sculpts, which they were doing great with by the looks of wave 7 and DTC wave 1, to repaints, yet are going to produce all new sculpts for DTC which has a smaller consumer base where it would be more difficult to recoup the cost of producting new molds.

that doesn't make any sense. if Hasbro was going to go straight repaints for retail why produce new molds just for DTC? why not continue with the repaints? why new olds at all? the focus of DTC is obviously cheaper production costs, which is why repaints (which we are seeing), as opposed to retail in which the volume of product produced can support the cost of new sculpting and molding on a large scale of intricate body parts.

not to seem argumentative but you are going to have to clarify the logic in that, as it seems more a rationalization than possibility.

Sorry.

What I mean is that if Hasbro had continued on with the "Robot Rebellion" theme as originally planned. Every figure we've seen thus far (including wave 3) would be exactly as we've seen them. There wouldn't be any major changes JUST because Joe is a retail.

Basically the argument was that because Joe went to DTC they are using lots of repaints to compensate for the lower production and sales. That, had Joe stayed retail, Monkey Wrench, for example, might have had an entirely new mold. But being DTC, he's relegated to being a repaint of Burnout.

I'm saying that Monkey Wrench would have been a repaint of Burnout regardless. Based on previous disccusions on the forum, that most of the guys through wave 4 were already "done" as part of the robot rebellion theme.

Here we go again. garfield63ou.gif

@hmmm@    *Looks at Sigma Six DOLLS*

@hmmm@    *Looks at the DTC wave 3 Joes ACTION FIGURES*

@hmmm@    *Looks at Sigma Six dolls*

"WAVE 3 IS AWWWWWESOME BABY!!"  @bounce@

Much better, Now! @smilepunch@

@haha@

At least somebody picked up on that! ;)

Sorry.

What I mean is that if Hasbro had continued on with the "Robot Rebellion" theme as originally planned.  Every figure we've seen thus far (including wave 3) would be exactly as we've seen them.  There wouldn't be any major changes JUST because Joe is a retail.

Basically the argument was that because Joe went to DTC they are using lots of repaints to compensate for the lower production and sales.  That, had Joe stayed retail, Monkey Wrench, for example, might have had an entirely new mold.  But being DTC, he's relegated to being a repaint of Burnout.

I'm saying that Monkey Wrench would have been a repaint of Burnout regardless.  Based on previous disccusions on the forum, that most of the guys through wave 4 were already "done" as part of the robot rebellion theme.

I understand that. what I don't get is why they would go from new sculpts to straight repaints and then back to new sculpts, for DTC or if it was going to remain at retail. that doesn't make sense.

if Hasbro was going to go straight repaints, why not stay straight repaints if they felt that was the right plan.

Here we go again.  garfield63ou.gif

you stay out of it! @firedevil@

mutleyani14yh.gif

Sorry.

What I mean is that if Hasbro had continued on with the "Robot Rebellion" theme as originally planned.  Every figure we've seen thus far (including wave 3) would be exactly as we've seen them.  There wouldn't be any major changes JUST because Joe is a retail.

Basically the argument was that because Joe went to DTC they are using lots of repaints to compensate for the lower production and sales.  That, had Joe stayed retail, Monkey Wrench, for example, might have had an entirely new mold.  But being DTC, he's relegated to being a repaint of Burnout.

I'm saying that Monkey Wrench would have been a repaint of Burnout regardless.  Based on previous disccusions on the forum, that most of the guys through wave 4 were already "done" as part of the robot rebellion theme.

I understand that. what I don't get is why they would go from new sculpts to straight repaints and then back to new sculpts, for DTC or if it was going to remain at retail. that doesn't make sense.

if Hasbro was going to go straight repaints, why not stay straight repaints if they felt that was the right plan.

Here we go again.   garfield63ou.gif

Well, the catch all answer is that Hasbro does a lot of stuff that doesn't make sense.

I mentioned it in an earlier post that I'm thinking wave 4 is going to have several new sculpts. I think, perhaps, that whomever made the wave choices didn't take that into account.

Sorry.

What I mean is that if Hasbro had continued on with the "Robot Rebellion" theme as originally planned. Every figure we've seen thus far (including wave 3) would be exactly as we've seen them. There wouldn't be any major changes JUST because Joe is a retail.

Basically the argument was that because Joe went to DTC they are using lots of repaints to compensate for the lower production and sales. That, had Joe stayed retail, Monkey Wrench, for example, might have had an entirely new mold. But being DTC, he's relegated to being a repaint of Burnout.

I'm saying that Monkey Wrench would have been a repaint of Burnout regardless. Based on previous disccusions on the forum, that most of the guys through wave 4 were already "done" as part of the robot rebellion theme.

Actually, they wouldn't have had the line stayed at retail and kept its original budget for such a venture.

From what I heard, Dwight STall was rather productive during Joe's retail run and has DOZENS of characters sculpted and ready to get molds made of them.

But with the DTC change, the budget was tighted, according to Hasbro reps, for every one completely new figure they could make, that could be spent on 6 heads.

The extreme frankensteing we're seeing is the result of that. Had Joe stayed at retail, Footloose probably wouldn't have been seen this year, or if he had, he wouldn't likely be a straight repaint figure.

The Crimson Guard would have had a completely new body to go with the new head and backpack.

The only figures "done" by the time the DTC change was made were the 2005 spec guys, everyone else has been cobbled together from the handful of new parts they could make and figures laying around.

If you look at the past 3 years, frankensteining is a rare thing among the 2K Joe retail line. Either they were repaints or completely new figures. that isn't to say parts weren't reused, but most figures fell into one of those two camps

Theories...rumors...and speculation!

Who's right...who's wrong...and who's just plain full of sh@#?

MY HEAD JUST CAN'T HANDLE IT!!

myheadhurts5sb.png

@smilepunch@

I'll need to save that pic @smilepunch@

Somehow, I have a feeling it will show up again, when I start theorizing..rumoring...and running amuck with speculation!

@haha@

For some reason, this is just my favorite wave yet.

-I love Low Light's character, and this figure is solid

-I wasn't even a fan of Grand Slam before, but this also just another solid figure

-Med Alert is cool because he's basically Lifeline

-The SAW Viper just looks spectacular

-The trooper is also solid

-And Monkey Wrench is decent, but I'm sure I'll like him more once he's in hand

I'm just so excited to see what vehicles accompany these fellows.

For some reason, this is just my favorite wave yet.

-I love Low Light's character, and this figure is solid

-I wasn't even a fan of Grand Slam before, but this also just another solid figure

-Med Alert is cool because he's basically Lifeline

-The SAW Viper just looks spectacular

-The trooper is also solid

-And Monkey Wrench is decent, but I'm sure I'll like him more once he's in hand

I'm just so excited to see what vehicles accompany these fellows.

Interpol, you expressed my thoughts on this new wave pretty accurately.

I'm one of the few here who actually likes that Cobra soldier. And back in the day I actually liked Lifeline. So Med-Alert or whatever his name is is a nice nod to Lifeline for me, so I like that figure too. Monkeywrench? Hmm...I always liked the Burn-Out mold, but I'm not sure it works as another character. When I first saw him though I did a double-tale because I thought he was Long Range.

Low-Light looks pretty much perfect to me; pretty much exactly how I envisioned him as a new-sculpt figure, even though his colors are way too close to his RAH '86 version. I like just a hint of the original character's look instead of an almost straight-up recycle in the same colors, like we saw with the Spy Troops Roadblock. Having said that, I'm still happy with this new Low-Light, even though he's not much different than his original version really.

Grand-Slam? Ah...I remember him being one of the originals, but I never had him, so he's never been that relevant to me. But I'm still glad to see Hasbro acknowledging characters from the original line-up. Hate those friggin' yeller grenades though... (lol)

S.A.W. Viper. Very cool. I never owned the original, but after seeing his mold in the form of the RAHC Zartan and subsequently the PP version in that Spy Troops TRY six-pack, I'm kinda glad I didn't. (lol) I like this one much better, even though it's basically Roll-Bar with a S.A.W. Viper helmet.

I will agree with others though in that Hasbro has some really great parts from past figures that have alot of potential for great frankensteining in the DTC line. One example that comes to mind, well two actually, are the Sgt. Hacker and Tunnel-Rat molds from Spy Troops. Those were two of my favorite molds from that line, even though Tunnel-Rat was HUGE. Overall I'm pretty happy with Wave 3.

Hey Devil Bat, I'm pretty sure Grand Slam's yellow grenade belt is removable.

Yeah, I know man, but more realistically-colored grenades would have set that figure apart from Sgt. Bazooka for me. Funny how one little teeny-tiny color choice like that can be such a grating, glaring mistake. Grr. @grumpy@ Otherwise I like the figure. Guess that grenade belt will just have to come off...

And guys, I can't help it; Med-Alert just looks better and better every time I look at him. (lol) Isn't that crazy? He's a blah character with a blah mold that's painted as a rip-off of yet another blah character, but...I love it. I guess it's that Lifeline vibe he's got goin' on.

Y'know what? I wanna see the mainstays in this new packaging dangit!! I wanna see frankensteined (or new sculpt even) versions of Duke, Scarlett, Gung-Ho, Snake-Eyes, Roadblock, Shipwreck, etc. etc. I can't help it. I love new characters and new takes on old great B-list characters, but...c'mon! Let's see the "big-guns" in the new packaging!

Hopefully this will be my last post for this thread. Obviously it's impossible to satisfy everyone on a large scale. I mean everyone has their own tastes and am amazed with all the critical responses (mine as well obviously) the Joes get in general. I assume other toy lines are treated similar. But somewhere a balance of satisfaction exists. A sensus should prove "x" efforts produce "x" results.

The new molds are excellent. If we give and spend on these They may be impressioned that this level of quality is acceptable. I like everyone else grind daily to make a living and enjoy things like Joe. Our hard earned dollars deserve a better standard don't you think? This Wave isn't horrible but could be much better as you all would agree. Though I don't collect Star Wars or know that much about it, I do know or have heard that recently the quality grade for them is pretty sharp. Joe isn't as popluar of course but I don't see why a little bit more love could be thrown this way. I mean the Cobra Trooper is a GIANT missed opportunity. If they invested in a semi new mold or just looked at maybe a more creative approach they would have a great money maker. The Trooper is the collector's building block. People would prob be ordering for months to whenever time in numbers.

I won't mention the others like Monkeywrench because it would seem that the potential $$ player in this wave to Hasbro would be the Trooper.

As one said "it's better than nothing.." Yes I thank Hasbro for keeping Joe here. I know they have done a lot, and am definitely greatful for the great stuff we have now. Maybe just aim a little higher next time. If we boycott Joe is on the cutting board, If we buy , we settle. What to do?

"Double-edged sword" as someone put it.

BUT who knows...gotta reserve judgement til they are in hand. :D

The more I stare at 'em the more I'm interested.

-B

I agree with you everyone was waiting for the cobra soldier. hasbro dropped the ball on this one, as you need an anchor for the cobra army. Hopefully, they fix the officer. My big problem is stupid logo placement, and bad mold choice.

As far as what you should do, buy the figures you like, ignore the ones you don't. I stick with the comic packs. Not everyone like them, but I can build my original team for a good price.

If you like cobras buy the night watch, or find some of the old tru 6 packs. or go on e bay and find some trooper builder packs.

I have the night watch and am happy with that. I also bought extra night watch officers as I think they are awesome.

Y'know what? I wanna see the mainstays in this new packaging dangit!! I wanna see frankensteined (or new sculpt even) versions of Duke, Scarlett, Gung-Ho, Snake-Eyes, Roadblock, Shipwreck, etc. etc. I can't help it. I love new characters and new takes on old great B-list characters, but...c'mon! Let's see the "big-guns" in the new packaging!

Darnit, if I could just find that one pic.... @smilepunch@

Personally, I would not be adverse to seeing cores come back, particularly since I believe that the few new molds we have yet to see from Hasbro ARE cores.

I'm still waiting the decent Flint, LJ, and Shipwreck figures we're due