Scarecrow????

mynameisash

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No.

No.

And you have the nerve to attack me in the Batman forums? YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT! There IS a Scarecrow in the Marvel Universe. Next time LISTEN and do research before you start attacking people. Darn teenagers make me SO sick. They think they KNOW IT ALL!

Yes.

He premiered as an Iron Man villain, went on to fight Captain America a lot, then become a Ghost Rider villain for a while. You can find a up-to-date bio of him in the Horror 2005 Handbook that Marvel put out just a few weeks ago.

Interesting tidbit: During the Marvel vs. DC series, the Scarecrow characters from both universes met up and went on a terror spree, until Spider-Man trounced them both for hasseling Lois Lane. Seriously.

His only figure to date is in that box set. To be honest, it's a pretty sweet figure, too.

The only online bio for him that I know of is at Advanced Iron, but the page isn't loading right now.

No.

And you have the nerve to attack me in the Batman forums? YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT! There IS a Scarecrow in the Marvel Universe. Next time LISTEN and do research before you start attacking people. Darn teenagers make me SO sick. They think they KNOW IT ALL!

Okay, I got something wrong.

I'm so frigging sorry I don't know of all the little obscure villians from years past.

I said 'No', how the hell is that attacking? I was wrong, plain and simple, I never said 'OMG THEIRZ NO SCARECORE INDA MARVEL UNIVERS U ID!OT' or something to that effect.

There's no need to shove it down my throat.

And hey! Here's a nice idea, if you're informed on something I'm not, why don't you tell me in the future and expand my knowledge on these things, instead of pettily 'shouting' at me.

Your post helped no one, Matthew. Although I do hope you feel better about yourself randomly attacking people who aren't quite as knowledgable as you.

Your post helped no one, Matthew. Although I do hope you feel better about yourself randomly attacking people who aren't quite as knowledgable as you.

Randomly attacking? I believe that YOU were the first instigator in the DC Direct forums going back some months ago and how you told me I was basicallly off my rocker for wanting comic-accurate figures of the DC universe at retail.

I BELIEVE your words were this....."Twice the quality, they look a thousand times better and face it, they do figures you ARE NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS GOING TO SEE WITH MATTEL. Who despite getting better, still really dont give a crap about collectors, cause thats not whos mainly buying their figures."

Hmm...Proved you wrong after all. I think these Mattel MULTI-ARTICULATED comic-accurate figures look MUCH better than DC Direct. I'd rather play with my figures than have the statues that DC Direct puts out.

He's really just an unoriginal rip off of John Crane Scarecrow from Batman from what I know (which isn't much).

The question is....In what year did DC's version originate? The Marvel one was in 63 I think.

DC's Scarecrow made his first appearance in World's Finest Comics #3 from 1941. I've never read that story so I'd be interested to hear how scarey or tame he acted early on. The villains of today rarely started out as creepy in the Golden Age. If DC's Scarecrow was a joke for decades and Marvel's Scarecrow was much more eerie in 1963, who's the real ripoff? A question like this really needs the expertise of a DC Archives and Marvel Masterworks collector.

OmegaHarbinger

Actually, that’s not true at all OmegaHarbinger, or at least in the cast of Batman characters. The Golden Age was full of heroes with questionable morals. In the late 30’s and early 40’s Batman was darker then, then he is in the present day. Batman actually, no joke, killed people. The Silver age is really when things went from frightening, serious and shocking to campy and more sci fi oriented. Robin tamed Batman himself but the book was still rather disturbing sometimes. I believe the Joker kills over 12 people in his original appearance alone. The comic code is really what changed it all and turned Batman from his original artsy and psychological characterization into the campy and humorous hero we all know from the 60‘s (much like that of the Old Adam West Batman TV series). There is this stereotype that, old comics are cheesy when in actuality some are just as deep, artsy and twisted as the new. Batman wasn’t changed into a darker and more mysterious/psychological character in the 70’s….he was changed back into the character Bob Kane originally intended him to be. As for the scarecrow himself, well I have yet to read the actual first appearance of him, but I read an earlier appearance of his and I believe he actually killed someone in it.

Actually, that’s not true at all OmegaHarbinger, or at least in the cast of Batman characters. The Golden Age was full of heroes with questionable morals. In the late 30’s and early 40’s Batman was darker then, then he is in the present day. Batman actually, no joke, killed people. The Silver age is really when things went from frightening, serious and shocking to campy and more sci fi oriented. Robin tamed Batman himself but the book was still rather disturbing sometimes. I believe the Joker kills over 12 people in his original appearance alone. The comic code is really what changed it all and turned Batman from his original artsy and psychological characterization into the campy and humorous hero we all know from the 60‘s (much like that of the Old Adam West Batman TV series). There is this stereotype that, old comics are cheesy when in actuality some are just as deep, artsy and twisted as the new. Batman wasn’t changed into a darker and more mysterious/psychological character in the 70’s….he was changed back into the character Bob Kane originally intended him to be. As for the scarecrow himself, well I have yet to read the actual first appearance of him, but I read an earlier appearance of his and I believe he actually killed someone in it.

I never said anything at all about Golden Age heroes. I wrote "The villains of today rarely started out as creepy in the Golden Age." They were evil but not necessarily insane. To be honest, I don't think you're too informed about the early Batman status quo though. The Silver Age is *not* responsible for less serious stories. In fact, I'd say the complete opposite is more accurate. For instance, Mr. Mxyztplk first appeared in in Superman #30 from 1944 way before the Silver Age began.

I'm well aware that Batman had no qualms about killing in the beginning but that brief period did not come anywhere close to lasting throughout the Golden Age as you imply. Batman may not have been too campy prior to the Adam West TV series but it certainly wasn't grim and gritty either. As for DC's Scarecrow possibly killing someone in his first appearance, that alone doesn't qualify the character as truly frightening to me. The method he went about doing it was probably nowhere near as disturbing as the kind of stuff Batman villains get away with nowadays.

OmegaHarbinger

I don't belittle people. When something is in error, I point it out. Simple as that.

Yeah, lol, you point it out with a red hot fire poker! lol

seriously man, step off and listen to yourself once in a while, you may think that you're just "correcting" people but the words you use may be percieved as attacks, so mellow out before you go posting, lol

He's really just an unoriginal rip off of John Crane Scarecrow from Batman from what I know (which isn't much).

The question is....In what year did DC's version originate? The Marvel one was in 63 I think.

DC's Scarecrow made his first appearance in World's Finest Comics #3 from 1941. I've never read that story so I'd be interested to hear how scarey or tame he acted early on. The villains of today rarely started out as creepy in the Golden Age. If DC's Scarecrow was a joke for decades and Marvel's Scarecrow was much more eerie in 1963, who's the real ripoff? A question like this really needs the expertise of a DC Archives and Marvel Masterworks collector.

OmegaHarbinger

I'm far from an expert, but I seem to remember reading (in a recent Comics Buyer's Guide, I think) that DC's Scarecrow only made one golden age appearance. It's entirely possible that Marvel made thier Scarecrow, never knowing that there was a DC character with the same name until DC started using him again.

In other words, Liefeld didn't create him, so it's probably not a knockoff. @loll@

OmegaHarbinger

I'm far from an expert, but I seem to remember reading (in a recent Comics Buyer's Guide, I think) that DC's Scarecrow only made one golden age appearance. It's entirely possible that Marvel made thier Scarecrow, never knowing that there was a DC character with the same name until DC started using him again.

In other words, Liefeld didn't create him, so it's probably not a knockoff. @loll@

Or Mcfarlane. (cough-Deathlok-is-Spawn.cough)

Or Mcfarlane. (cough-Deathlok-is-Spawn.cough)

If you consider Deathlok to be the exact same creation as Spawn, I guess you view Superman & Dr. Strange as identical too. Deathlok is supposed to be ugly but his face isn't meant to be rotting.

OmegaHarbinger

I never said anything at all about Golden Age heroes. I wrote "The villains of today rarely started out as creepy in the Golden Age." They were evil but not necessarily insane. To be honest, I don't think you're too informed about the early Batman status quo though. The Silver Age is *not* responsible for less serious stories. In fact, I'd say the complete opposite is more accurate. For instance, Mr. Mxyztplk first appeared in in Superman #30 from 1944 way before the Silver Age began.

I'm well aware that Batman had no qualms about killing in the beginning but that brief period did not come anywhere close to lasting throughout the Golden Age as you imply. Batman may not have been too campy prior to the Adam West TV series but it certainly wasn't grim and gritty either. As for DC's Scarecrow possibly killing someone in his first appearance, that alone doesn't qualify the character as truly frightening to me. The method he went about doing it was probably nowhere near as disturbing as the kind of stuff Batman villains get away with nowadays.

OmegaHarbinger

A question for you.......what were you reading? When last I checked, Silver Age was the corny Batman stuff. Also I'm not talking Superman, I'm talking Batman's books in particular...they were dark from day one and slowly transitioned to camp and went back to dark in the 70's. You may want to check your facts before you go and act like a "holier then thou" misinformed comics reader. ;)