Battle Convoy (laser Prime)

OB1Killa

You're confusing inflation with low run exclusives. How can you compare a collector only line at tru to the original thing which were in stores everywhere. Original optimus Prime cost like $25 I think, well a figure of the same size costs about $20. Transformers is probably the only line where the price range to the size of the figure has stayed the same.

A line I know more about would be Ninja Turtles. They cost $3 each back in the day, now they cost $5, inflation isn't an extra $30 or so.

Laser prime reissue is a low run, so they charge more for everything because they aren't selling in bulk. Therefore the price goes up. An example would be He-man figures for $6, and the toyfare exclusive faker costing $20. Shipping is expensive, but the more you ship the more you save. That's why it's almost pointless to get a reissue laser prime when you can have the original for $10-20 more, and since you're already spending $60 for one toy which probably cost $20-25 back in the 90's, I think you can afford it.

Now I love G2 prime, but the price point is ridiculous. If you want to get really serious, plastic costs almost nothing, and the molds have already been paid for, so it's so cheap to make that you're paying for:

Packaging (also pretty cheap)

Shipping

Takomy's CEOs

BBTS's mark up (hey they have to make $$ too)

If this was a new toy and they were to make hundreds of thousands, then it would be cheaper. Which is the whole point I'm trying to make, if I'm going to get a small run of one figure it might as well be something rarer and more expensive to get on eBay. The difference between the original and the reissue for G2 laser prime is so small that it's almost not worth it. And how many of you were truly dieing for this guy before they announced his release, if you really wanted one you would have one already.

Like someone said before, this is just taking up a spot for a G1 reissue. Like the seacons (since we know they have the mold) or something like that.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude. Ninja Turtles for $3.00? Where were you shopping that you got all these great deals? I remember buying a few TMNT back in the day myself and paying $6.00 each for them. Anyways back on subject, the original Laser Primes are not just 10-20 more. You saw the auctions I assume, they were 40.00 more total at the cheapest. Also don't forget that this is even more of a deal now that I think about it because Laser prime had electronics, while Scourge did not. So at the same price as Scourge or rather Black Convoy when he first came out in Japan, this reissue doesn't seem so bad. Plus Takara may throw in extras.

Dude. Ninja Turtles for $3.00? Where were you shopping that you got all these great deals? I remember buying a few TMNT back in the day myself and paying $6.00 each for them. Anyways back on subject, the original Laser Primes are not just 10-20 more. You saw the auctions I assume, they were 40.00 more total at the cheapest. Also don't forget that this is even more of a deal now that I think about it because Laser prime had electronics, while Scourge did not. So at the same price as Scourge or rather Black Convoy when he first came out in Japan, this reissue doesn't seem so bad. Plus Takara may throw in extras.

They had 2 for one at Walmart a month ago.

I still have stickers still on the cards from places like Children's palace that say $3-4. TMNT were always cheap though. $6, I don't think even KB charged that much for them. Wal-Mart was like $3.88 @smilepunch@

The electronics do make a difference, that's true, still the 2 of the 3 you picked were buy it nows and they're generally overpriced. You really can't judge the price of a toy on eBay because it's really on an individual basis. The tactical ops trooper from the new ROTS star wars line went for $25 in one auction with many bids, and another for $7 with two bids. There are buy it now auctions at $25 and $10. People on eBay are REALLY stupid, I once saw a Mego Hulk from 1979 MOC (which I ended up winning) go for $40, and then I saw the same figure, loose and beat up, one day after my auction ended go for $65.

There are probably hundreds of thousands of toy collectors out there, all it takes is one person on eBay to drive the prices up on a toy. Anyway I've seen laser primes go for $40 MIB. Not that I don't like the toy, but at $60 it's too recent to justify buying it, especially when there are more brittle and rare TFs out there. Laser Primes are very sturdy, unfortunately most of the early G1 figures aren't, that's why even mint loose early TFs are harder to find in good condition.

Well, Leonardo, you did point out something interesting and so true: This molds (reissues) have been paid already their costs, therefore I dont see why they mark them so high. In fact, I rather to pay for a Cybertron Prime which is a new mold, less money, than paying for an old mold just because the nostalgia of owning it again.....

At the end, this is people taking advantage at a fancy and elegant level....business.

$3.88 for TMNT at WalMart? Wish I had one in my town back then. I bought my TMNT from Ames so maybe thats why. @loll@ Anyways back on track, Leonardo does bring up some valid points let that be known. However, the G1 molds have also already paid for themselves, and they still charge a high amount compared to what they were years ago. Why? Because of our good friend infaltion not to mention the cost of repairing a few etc. Now I'm sure you may be able to find the reissue going for a bit less if you look, and especially if its not that popular. Judging by the reaction it's got so far I'd say that may be likely. However, at the end of the day it all depends on what you really want to buy. If you feel like he's too much, then by all means pass. I was just trying to get you to see why Takara and of course online stores would be charging that for him. #US1#

I still like the original TMNT! Turtles in a nut shell, turtle power!! :)

I remember when TMNT first came out. I was working at Walgreens and when I first put some out on the shelves I remember thinking they were the stupidest things I've ever seen and that they'd NEVER sell.

I guess I was wrong!

Oh and by the way, if I remember correctly, I believe they were $4.99 at Walgreens back then.

Hell yeah I remember Children's Palace! I also loved to go to Kiddie City which is where I bought my Silverbolt, Ultra Magnus and Kickback figs. It almost makes me cry to think that all those cool stores are gone. I'd trade my whole toy collection to just walk into one of those stores as a 5 year old again. #US1#