Let's Try This....

ARROW

Those are wicked KEN!

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow ARROW, those were awesome, every single one of them!! Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see the finished version of Apogee. I want to be that good when i grow up, heheh! What do you recommend for beginners in terms of inking? Please post more!!

What do you recommend for beginners in terms of inking?

Well, there's tons of good advice out there in the form of books and articles--I can direct you to books like the Gary Martin's books on inking for one.

The biggest thing about inking is to understand the value of a stroke of line, and the variation in line quality.

That is to say to know how to get a thick and thin line with your tools and how and when to use said lines on an image to define forms and establish light & dark values.

There's not many hard and fast rules about that because the really good inkers ( of which I am NOT) bring their own solutions to it. Look at how Scott Williams inks, as opposed to Paul Neary etc.

For inking tools--use whatever works. Brushes, crowquill nibs, micron markers, brush-pens....whatever you are most comfortable.

It USED TO BE that the mantra was all about putting down a line with a single stroke, using permanent ink and deliniated for reduction/reproduction. Now, with the technology at hand, its up to the artist to determine how they want to work--the only consideration is how the final product looks.

I use a bit of everything these days, mostly because paper quality varies, as do inks and nibs. There's no consistency with the tools, so I'm testing stuff often ( when ) do ink that is--which is not that often these days)

Lately, I've preferred using a Pentel brush-pen and Pigma micron-markers, but I can switch at the drop of a hat back to a Windsor & Newton sable hair #1 or #2 brush and a Gillotts #170 crowquill nib in a holder.

Best advice I can give is to find an inker whose style you like, study their work intently and strive to duplicate it, and once you have picked up how they do things start to add your own spin to it.

Thanks for the advice good sir! I look forward to more of your work. I've been using the pigma micron markers, they seem easier to use, but i'm definitely gonna try a brush-pen so I can get more line variation. Ok, i'm gonna try to find some of Scott Williams/Paul Neary's work and compare/study them.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

great job.........and i known i said this before but ur stuff reminds me of tom grummet and mark bagley

Thanks for the kind words guys!

I'll probably ink right over the pencils, because the drawing is on 2-ply bristol, which can take the inks. Not decided what I'll use just yet, as I could grab some Pigma microns, my Pentel brush-pen, or I might dig out my crowquills or Rotrings and use those.

It'll probably be the first two..

Having scanned the pencils, I could even trying inking directly in Photoshop, which would be both "easier" and harder--and probably a LOT more forgiving. I just have to build up the nerve to ink

Funny thing , JJ......I'm now apparently in the same city as Grummett--might look him up. I have some friends that actually know him. Seems everyone around me has met the guy............except me, lol! Been a fan of Grummett's work since Privateers.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

I'll probably ink right over the pencils, because the drawing is on 2-ply bristol, which can take the inks. Not decided what I'll use just yet, as I could grab some Pigma microns, my Pentel brush-pen, or I might dig out my crowquills or Rotrings and use those.

It'll probably be the first two..

Having scanned the pencils, I could even trying inking directly in Photoshop, which would be both "easier" and harder--and probably a LOT more forgiving. I just have to build up the nerve to ink

Funny thing , JJ......I'm now apparently in the same city as Grummett--might look him up. I have some friends that actually know him. Seems everyone around me has met the guy............except me, lol! Been a fan of Grummett's work since Privateers.

ooh, could you do one version with the pigma microns? and another one in photoshop? or maybe the crowquills? your work is inspiring! i'm gonna set aside some time tomorrow to draw, hope my kid takes a long nap during the day, heheh!