Sigma Six Is Not Selling Well Is Store.

GTA Sith

I think that is more than fair, after all the look of the figures are somewhat polarizing and I’m sure not everyone will appreciate the look. Personally I don’t love the look, but I don’t mind it either…for the most part I’m fine with the stylized look of the figures.

It's an easy assumption to make, that action figure collectors will take to the new style and look of Sigma Six, that what the fans who were kinda limited and restricted to 3 3/4" G.I.Joe collecting.

There's a lot..and I mean a LOT, of collectors at TNI here, that collect many different toy lines and do so becuase if it looks cool and they want it...they GET IT!! ^_^

I understand this totally, as I'm no dummy. Even action figure collectors who never liked the smaller 3 3/4" scale of G.I.Joe, will now think that these look a lot better, and I bet they have a pretty good collection of OTHER toylines that are more of this scale.

This is understood, but that doesn't change my opinion on them as being an inferior respresentation of G.I.Joe. Not an "inferior" toy mind you...just an inferior concept for G.I.Joe, by my standards only and no one elses.

My dislike of Sigma Six isn't about some "loyality" to a particular style of G.I.Joe, as I've collected all of it anyway, except for any Extreme figures, of which I have NONE, and Sigma Six will be the same as them.

Of course...that doesn't mean I don't enjoy a good rippin' on the line and working up "sides" on the issue, and trying to place guilt onto those who conform and convert! @loll@

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His logic was fallible I agree, but is that any reason to needlessly insult a fellow board member? Is it because he doesn't like S6 and you do? I'm disappointed in some of your responses; I thought we were adults here. :(

What's really sad about it, is that GTA sith hasn't really responded to any of it, and that's probably the only reason the topic isn't locked yet. The personal attacks on him (everything from his intelligence level to nationality or troubles with the english language and typing/vocabulary skills) have been pretty thick, but only if and/or WHEN he should attempt a defense against these insults, would this topic be considered objectional and worthy of a lock, and of course GTA sith would be deemed the culprit, for "stirring up trouble with the Sigma Six fans". <_<

I dared to make a derogatory assertion against collectors of things kept MISB...and boy howdy, you should only know the grief I'm currently under over it? Must be a touchy subject. @haha@

His logic was fallible I agree, but is that any reason to needlessly insult a fellow board member? Is it because he doesn't like S6 and you do? I'm disappointed in some of your responses; I thought we were adults here. :(

What's really sad about it, is that GTA sith hasn't really responded to any of it, and that's probably the only reason the topic isn't locked yet. The personal attacks on him (everything from his intelligence level to nationality or troubles with the english language and typing/vocabulary skills) have been pretty thick, but only if and/or WHEN he should attempt a defense against these insults, would this topic be considered objectional and worthy of a lock, and of course GTA sith would be deemed the culprit, for "stirring up trouble with the Sigma Six fans". <_<

I dared to make a derogatory assertion against collectors of things kept MISB...and boy howdy, you should only know the grief I'm currently under over it? Must be a touchy subject. @haha@

yup as i learned from the tf part of tni, misb vs oapw (opened and played with) are very ugly wars and very touchy, i won't get into but i don't see the point in having something you're not going to open, to me i just can't understand it, but that's just me although the s6 look great in their cages, i had to break them out because to me you don't get the full effect unless you open and toy around with the fig a little

i don't see the point in having something you're not going to open, to me i just can't understand it, but that's just me although the s6 look great in their cages, i had to break them out because to me you don't get the full effect unless you open and toy around with the fig a little

;)

Want a new sig redrum?

alba3ai.png

@bounce@

one has to wonder, if the internet had been as prevalant in 1982 when the 3 3/4" line was coming out if the 12' joe collectors were having similar debates to what has been going on here.

I would say most definitely, and the debates and battles would have been uglier and bloodier! I think this is true, only because of the drastic nature in the difference between 12" G.I.Joe and the 80's relaunch of G.I.Joe as the RAH line, in it's tiny scale..comparatively.

Since then, and before the internet was born and made such things possible, G.I.Joe has had SEVERAL further changes made to it, and fans (or collectors) of G.I.Joe had some time to adapt privately to them, so when we all gathered together on message boards like this one, we were all somewhat SEMI-tolerant of such things, but yet....we still manage to have major battles over the changes of the slightest nature (o-rings to t-crotchs ect..)

Imagine though, having very FEW things known as G.I.Joe, like what joe was up until the ARAH hit the shelves, and THEN being expected to accept it?

:o WOOooo BOY....would those who were anticipating a return of the Joe they knew, grew up playing with, and loved, ever had a fit and blown some major gaskets! ^_^

i don't see the point in having something you're not going to open, to me i just can't understand it, but that's just me although the s6 look great in their cages, i had to break them out because to me you don't get the full effect unless you open and toy around with the fig a little

;)

Want a new sig redrum?

alba3ai.png

@bounce@

ok i am @notworthy@ of that and it's just a @nono@ man my integrity #GvE# but this was my 1st reaction :o thank you but i think i'm good, however i think i'll keep that for my personal collection @hmmm@ what oh the topic, yes s6 sells good in my area @smilepunch@ hey live and let live

While I have no problem expressing my dislike of S6 and doing so in as many different ways as possible, for fun or totally heartfelt...it is stupid to be indifferent to them out of spite and go so far as to MAKE ourselves not buy them..in protest.

I boycotted the cartoon over a flag issue....for all of ONE episode, but I caught every one since then, and realized the issue I had, didn't warrant missing out on the toon.

I'm reasonable and can back down when I feel it's worth it. I'm not convincing myself to be negative on Sigma Six toys, simply becuase of the way they came in and took the spotlight away from ALL other forms of Joe at most retail outlets. If I thought they were cool, I'd sure as hell have no problem buying into the craze over them.

Believe me...it would be lots more fun for me around here, to be with the crowd, than being considered something of a nuisance as of late (according to a few opinions?) and just doing the normal rave and gush type posting.

I was critical like this with the other joes though, as I figure I have very high expectations for my Joes...probably to such a degree that I'll NEVER be 100% satisfied? @haha@

If NEW product shows up for the DTC 3 3/4" line....product that can be decided was created recently FOR the line specifically....I think many (like myself) will lighten up a bit more and just let the negative opinions on S6 go, and feel the DTC thing is a little more legitimate in it's concept.

No spite or revenge notions here....just REALLY dislike the looks of the S6 stuff as a G.I.Joe action figure.

I get and appreciate what your saying here VH. Very reasonable...

Y'know, I don't understand how Hasbro releases the Playskool Star Wars stuff and the Force Battlers right alongside their 3-3/4" figures, yet they can't do the same for G.I. Joe. It's really absurd and unfair to guys like you VH who prefer the 3-3/4" stuff.

Now me personally, I'm perfectly happy with how things are. Sigma 6 is great and I can focus on that in the stores, and then when I want a 3-3/4" Joe fix I go to HTS and get the limited stuff there. For me it's an issue of being able to pace myself. But now if it were all out at the same time at retail, I'd be going nuts (and broke). (lol)

As much as I love Sigma 6, I just don't see why it couldn't have co-existed at retail right alongside the 3-3/4" Joes, but that's just me. They're doing it with Star Wars.

As much as I love Sigma 6, I just don't see why it couldn't have co-existed at retail right alongside the 3-3/4" Joes, but that's just me. They're doing it with Star Wars.

I do, 3 3/4 weren't selling well in retail so bye bye, Star Wars is way different, there is prolly 2 or 3 times more SW collectors then there are Joe ones and most SW collectors would prolly buy the preschool stuff for their kids and such.

If Sigma 6 and 3 3/4 were on shelves S6 would prolly sell good while 3 3/4 would just sit there.

Reminds me, i need to head back to Freds and get those two comic three packs they had left, ahh maybe in a week or two hehehe.

I get and appreciate what your saying here VH. Very reasonable...

Y'know, I don't understand how Hasbro releases the Playskool Star Wars stuff and the Force Battlers right alongside their 3-3/4" figures, yet they can't do the same for G.I. Joe. It's really absurd and unfair to guys like you VH who prefer the 3-3/4" stuff.

Now me personally, I'm perfectly happy with how things are. Sigma 6 is great and I can focus on that in the stores, and then when I want a 3-3/4" Joe fix I go to HTS and get the limited stuff there. For me it's an issue of being able to pace myself. But now if it were all out at the same time at retail, I'd be going nuts (and broke). (lol)

I know for me had they released the 2 lines side-by-side, I wouldn't have an issue with S6, although I still wouldn't buy them for the simple fact that I just don't like the way they wre designed (or the scale).

I always was a 3 3/4" only collector from when I got my first Joe in 1983 (Ace). Before that, I collected Star Wars. I liked how the figures were small enough that you could have really cool vehicles and playsets for them, but the SW figure's lack of articulation grated on me. Once I got my first Joe as a gift, I completely stopped collecting SW and concentrated on just Joe.

I feel that Hasbro's actions with S6 are akin to a slap in the face of both 12" and 3 3/4" collectors, some who have supported Hasbro with their money for years and years. Yes, I know that Hasbro's first responsibility is making a profit, but pissing off the bulk of your fanbase doesn't seem to be good business practice to me, especially if S6 ultimately proves to be unsuccessful and Hasbro ends up being forced to return to 12" and 3 3/4".

If Sigma 6 and 3 3/4 were on shelves S6 would prolly sell good while 3 3/4 would just sit there.

Doubtful!

As passionate and fanatical as we are about Joes, it (3/3/4 and 12" to an extent) will never have the fan base and popularity that SW enjoys. Star Wars bring in hordes of new fans all the time.

At retail, shelf space is at a premium. If it's not making money for a store, cut it's space and bring in something that will make money. That's just how it is.

Relying on some form of "word of mouth" from old G.I.Joe fans too NEW Joe fans, to boost the popularity of the toyline with the kids...isn't exactly a stellar way in which to do so. :(

As far as I'm concerned, SW toys suck compared to what G.I.Joe is, but they sell better because of the sheer numbers of movie fans and collectors..over them. I'm not even sure the new SW toys have produced any record sales numbers for them, seeing how the new generation of action figure "playing" kids, aren't as into these kinds of toys anymore. I'm more likely to assume that the same old SW fans are still buying the majority of the stuff.

G.I.Joe has needed a regular weekly cartoon ever since the original stopped airing, and definitely ever since it's return in 2000. While I'm probably biased in my opinions on how much better an action figure G.I.Joe is, compared to SW, I'm intelligent enough to realize that LOOKS alone, on the store shelves, is not enough to grab a childs interest in them without any tv show or cartoon to generate chatter and interest in them, and therefore it's left up to the parents and adult fans, of the toyline (G.I.Joe) to do all the promoting for them...for Hasbro.

We didn't do a good enough job, so our toys were taken away, and a newfangled version took their place at retail. Unfortunately for us fans of the old style of Joe, they've got off the crapper and put some FORCE behind it, and giving it a little more than the usual "chance in hell".

As far as "valuable shelf space"? I've seen some pretty worthless and rotten toylines hang around on the shelves for a helluva long time (many of those Mcfarland statues for one example) and to suggest that they're selling better than the 3 3/4" Joe stuff, would be a hard one to convince me of, yet those darn things remain? I dunno..maybe it's still the first shipment of them, and they've never had to reorder another case? @haha@

I think politics play a bigger factor in what goes down with our G.I.Joes, and there's likely some powers that be, who want to take any opportunity to screw around with them for their OWN personal opinions on such things.

Imagine the Mother or Father who never let their own children play with military/war type toys, or even play video games of a semi-violent nature, and then thru the process of promotion..they become in charge of these things within the company?

I think politics play a bigger factor in what goes down with our G.I.Joes, and there's likely some powers that be, who want to take any opportunity to screw around with them for their OWN personal opinions on such things.

i imagine the politics here are similar to what goes on in the music industry. if you dont have a guy at the record label pulling for you or your band is selling gajillions of copies of your record, you get dumped.

gi joe, just didnt have someone at the corperate level standing up for it in its 3 3/4" form, thus when they decided to make an 8" line noone was there to say, "NO!".

Doubtful!

actualy its kinda true...cuz here in the few kb's in my area they have both joes versions.

the s6 and the 3 3/4 (which are on clearance)

the s6 are pretty much al gone in every store except for one or two HD's or snake eyes, while there are a ton of VvV hanging in the front of the store.

they cant even sell them with there buy one get one half off sale.

Doubtful!

actualy its kinda true...cuz here in the few kb's in my area they have both joes versions.

the s6 and the 3 3/4 (which are on clearance)

the s6 are pretty much al gone in every store except for one or two HD's or snake eyes, while there are a ton of VvV hanging in the front of the store.

they cant even sell them with there buy one get one half off sale.

Well, you almost have to look at it in the context of..3 3/4" versions of Sigma Six, to match the characters from the cartoon, in packaging that matches the theme and then add some of the vehicles from the DTC store, as being available on the shelves, alongside the 8" stuff?

Don't look at what's leftover from wave 7 of VvV, hanging on the pegs at KB or TRU and definitely don't judge everything by how things look to be selling (or not selling) at a KB store in one or two towns. This topic itself has proven that to be pretty much pointless. I could add that S6 isn't selling so well around the Columbus Ohio area here, but that doesn't really mean anything.

I do, 3 3/4 weren't selling well in retail so bye bye, Star Wars is way different, there is prolly 2 or 3 times more SW collectors then there are Joe ones and most SW collectors would prolly buy the preschool stuff for their kids and such.

Reminds me, i need to head back to Freds and get those two comic three packs they had left, ahh maybe in a week or two hehehe.

That's debatable.

Right before the line was pulled from stores, wave 7 and the comic 3-packs were selling very well in my area. Don't know about the rest of the country on the local level, but at least online they sold well too.

Don't look at what's leftover from wave 7 of VvV, hanging on the pegs at KB or TRU and definitely don't judge everything by how things look to be selling (or not selling) at a KB store in one or two towns. This topic itself has proven that to be pretty much pointless. I could add that S6 isn't selling so well around the Columbus Ohio area here, but that doesn't really mean anything.

I've bought a ton of the wave 7 3 3/4" stuff from the KB stores here, yet it seems they restock really quickly. In fact the only 3 3/4" products around here that aren't selling so well are the "Heavy Assault" set at TRU and at the closest TRU, packs of Jinx/Slice from VvV wave 3. For some reason, our store got tons and tons of this specific pack and no others, and even now they have about 15-20 of them.

Were listening? Sales were not down! Joe sales were up! action figures over all are down, VVV was saling! Sales are not part of the factor.

Alot of us thank s6 3 3/4 figs would sale better becouse the kids are sure seeing things from the vvv and dtc lines on their screen and their cheeper so parents would buy more!

I agree with you about star wars toys not being as good as gi joe. Most of them have no articulation or just shoulder articulation.

sw cost hasbro more, or is the excuse i've always heard. It's lucas's huge liscenseing fees. I have been wanting more joe styled sw for years.

I agree with you about star wars toys not being as good as gi joe. Most of them have no articulation or just shoulder articulation.

sw cost hasbro more, or is the excuse i've always heard. It's lucas's huge liscenseing fees. I have been wanting more joe styled sw for years.

Hasbro paid Lucas a $1,000,000,000 licensing fee, but got a write-down after Phantom Menace toys didn't catch fire. Its speculated it was written down to $700,000,000 or as low as $400,000,000.

Hasbro BID the billion dollar fee to secure the rights for an extended period of time--Lucas, of course, gleefully accepted.

PepsiCo also paid a billion dollar licensing fee, but IIRC they'd didn't ask, or get, a write-down.

The Hasbro write-down is also part of the reason for the internalizing of the Hasbro toy brands, and why they gave up licenses such as Batman. They were paying too much for a LOT of the external brands they had and divested themsleves of most of them. Only the most successful were kept on.

Hasbro has still not fully recovered from this situation as many of their in-house brands, like GIJOE, have had soft to modest sales. They took a gamble and it didn't fully pay off--but time will tell.

Alot of us thank s6 3 3/4 figs would sale better becouse the kids are sure seeing things from the vvv and dtc lines on their screen and their cheeper so parents would buy more!

sure, but this argument fails to acknowledgethe possibility that kids nowadays like taller action figures. it's funny how alot of people simply think the switch in scales was done arbitrarily instead of what the market perhaps wants.

since the 1980's action figures have been getting larger overall, save for Star Wars, which tends to show that children want larger action figures and it is adults who were raised on the smaller scale ant smaller scaled figures. but Hasbro is marketing towards children, so the change in scale makes sense. Star Wars is the exception, as it is the most powerful entertainment brand today and isn't affected by market shifts or interests. SW's is immune to market influences because the core SW's base of fans are into the brand first and foremost, and the core base of fans are not indicative of children in general and their interest.

I know some of you don't like the marketing discussion and the business side of selling toys, hence such words as "unfair" being slung around these discussions, but the fact is G.l. Joe is a business, and these decisions aren't made arbitrarily, and no business decision meant o appeal to children can ever be deemed unfair because how adults feel.

I know some of you don't like the marketing discussion and the business side of selling toys, hence such words as "unfair" being slung around these discussions, but the fact is G.l. Joe is a business, and these decisions aren't made arbitrarily, and no business decision meant o appeal to children can ever be deemed unfair because how adults feel.

This a very practical thing to say.

Words like "spite", "hate", "screwjob", "ruin" come forth too quickly from some fans with regards to how Hasbro's treats the product, and take it as a personal slight against the fans.

There's nothing personal in any of this--expect in some people's minds.

This is all a business gamble. The fans are a dedicated group, but they are a TINY group. Hence the DTC concept. The main consumer base for a toyline to be successful in a wide scale is the casual walk-in buyer at a retail store. That is NOT the dedicated fan.

The DTC concept will field product that is either ready made, or cheap to make because its going to be very toughto recoup elaborate tooling costs on a toy that sees less than 50,000 units made. My best guess is that the DTC is only going to do somewhere between that number and 100K on its BEST day--and probably quite a bit less.

The numbers and business side of things is very cold-hearted. Ruthless even. It flies in the face of those that attach strong emotions to the toys themselves, due to nostalgia or whatever reason. The companies are NOT making these things to warm your heart--they are doing it to lighten your wallet--this is the way of things. If you get you warm and fuzzies buying their product--then they think that's great---they'll ask you to buy MORE!

Look, this should diminish the enjoyment a fan has on the stuff they collect, but it can answer some of the questions that affect what they do collect. Petulant knee-jerk reactions are just that........learning just a bit about the whys and wherefores helps put a lot of this in perspective and IMO, help up the enjoyment because you know what you can and cannot expect.

This doesn't mean that someone cannot complain, but knowing how the system works actually helps strengthen the complaints becuase it focuses the questions asked.

Rather than asking over and over why a USS Flagg ( for example) isn't going to be made, realizing WHY its never going to be practical to be made again can re-direct the wants to something more practical.

Some folks will dig into things like this, others will remain blithely ignorant or will be just to lazy to delve. That's the way of things too.

This a very practical thing to say.

Words like "spite", "hate", "screwjob", "ruin" come forth too quickly from some fans with regards to how Hasbro's treats the product, and take it as a personal slight against the fans.

There's nothing personal in any of this--expect in some people's minds.

This is all a business gamble. The fans are a dedicated group, but they are a TINY group. Hence the DTC concept. The main consumer base for a toyline to be successful in a wide scale is the casual walk-in buyer at a retail store. That is NOT the dedicated fan.

The DTC concept will field product that is either ready made, or cheap to make because its going to be very toughto recoup elaborate tooling costs on a toy that sees less than 50,000 units made. My best guess is that the DTC is only going to do somewhere between that number and 100K on its BEST day--and probably quite a bit less.

The numbers and business side of things is very cold-hearted. Ruthless even. It flies in the face of those that attach strong emotions to the toys themselves, due to nostalgia or whatever reason. The companies are NOT making these things to warm your heart--they are doing it to lighten your wallet--this is the way of things. If you get you warm and fuzzies buying their product--then they think that's great---they'll ask you to buy MORE!

Look, this should diminish the enjoyment a fan has on the stuff they collect, but it can answer some of the questions that affect what they do collect. Petulant knee-jerk reactions are just that........learning just a bit about the whys and wherefores helps put a lot of this in perspective and IMO, help up the enjoyment because you know what you can and cannot expect.

This doesn't mean that someone cannot complain, but knowing how the system works actually helps strengthen the complaints becuase it focuses the questions asked.

Rather than asking over and over why a USS Flagg ( for example) isn't going to be made, realizing WHY its never going to be practical to be made again can re-direct the wants to something more practical.

Some folks will dig into things like this, others will remain blithely ignorant or will be just to lazy to delve. That's the way of things too.

well said. I just find it sad that people are so ignorant and egotistical that they fail to understand that those people in charge of G.I. Joe depend on G.I. Joe to pay their mortages, and just assume business' are run on hunches. this is their job and their lives depend on it. this is your hobby and you have nothing to lose, so of course you can propose fantastical ideas and pretend that they will work simply because that is what you want.

nobody here would make a multi-million dollar decision without researching the problems they face, yet epect Hasbro to do so simply to please them.

Adults overthink things period! I don't just mean the toy collectors either, I mean those that are in charge of trying to make their own niche' in the business of producing or marketing them. THAT..is the actual business side of it, which boils down to some hot shot trying to make it in the business world, and a lot of times they're not even interested in the product itself, as it's just any ol' "product" and they treat it as such. They've been educated in business...not so much G.I.Joe or what kids REALLY want.

We're assuming that these people, on the business end of toys, are all the equivalent of Willie Wonka to candy manufacturing. There's not that many Walt Disneys or Mel Blancs around anymore, that have made a success out of what they really loved themselves.

Every other toy company out there, starts putting out larger scaled action figures, and any kids that still DO want to buy action figure toys, buy them NOT because they had a choice in the matter, but because that's all there was, and Hasbro has some genius come in and say "gee..kids must like the larger scaled figures now?" :rolleyes:

Some research that took!

Then of course, we have the fanbase that wants to perpetuate the big ol bully myth about Wal-Marts, and how THEY dictate to toy companies what to make and how to make it and package it, and then you have to wonder why hasbro should require a marketing team at all, since all they need is their instructions from Wal-Mart and make it so? ^_^

If Wal-Mart demanded Hasbro to produce something along the lines of Sigma Six, then I'd think that all of the S6 fans should be singing their praises now and kissing WM's corporate butt. Haven't heard a peep about it, but when Hasbro kept farting around with the 3 3/4" scale and doing things to it, us fans even thought was questionable and highly determental to the line...it was quickly passed off as "due to the whims of Wal-Mart". <_<

It frys the brain cells to even try and rationalize it all out, with all the "experts" trying to explain all that's going on, to us.