A Slice Of Something Different

Alyosha

Well, I got my hands on a few of my parts today, and I put together something that's been percolating on my mind for a while (ever since I saw Sharkbait's great Budo series). I was tweaked again recently by the excellent version that Yoho Joe did over at the JBL boards also, and that has given me this recent itch.

I had spoken with a buddy of mine (you know who he is) about doing a limited run of an exclusive custom to sell at the Joe-Con next year as an "un-official figure". I wanted it to be someone who I knew that Hasbro would probably not re-release (like Budo here, or maybe someone from the movie), and I think that this is what I've decided on.

That being said, who might be interested in one of these guys next June (price would be in the $65 range with a custom FC)? If this works out I will be limiting the number that will be made (fully custom cast and painted) to just 49 to hopefully avoid any copyright problems, but that is something that I will have to look into (and all you armchair lawyers can just keep it to yourself already).

Anyway, I still need to do quite a bit of sculpting to add the chest armor, forearm armor, and the lower leg armor, but you can get an idea where this is going. The naginata is scratchbuilt, as is the new sheathe, and the mask features that crappy JvC Destro's mug. Comments, questions?

Budo.jpg

Budo1.jpg

Budo2.jpg

Budo3.jpg

Budo4.jpg

parts:

ribbon-Slice

helmet-Movie Tsang Tsung

head-Tunnel Rat

faceplate-JvC Destro

chest-Wild Bill

arms-Slice

hands-BBI SWAT

waist-Slice

skirt-Kamakura

hip armor-Slice

thighs-Dr. Mindbender

feet- " "

backpack-Double Blast

sword-JvC Snake Eyes

rifle-Sig 552 from VvV Snake Eyes

sheathe & naginata-scratchbuilt

looks awsome! Al ! i always liked budo! however if you would want to push sales you should make a cobra! the sale alot better then gijoe? just a thought.....i myself was always more of a good guy buyer so this would work for me!

TM

You have such an amazing eye for what parts are best suited to create the look for the character you're going for. I usually see parts from other figures that I thought sucked, or the parts are the very thing that made them suck to begin with (like those Mindbender legs) and yet, by using them in the way you have here, they're PERFECT!

Great looking custom you got going here!

oooh... I want one...lol.. whats funny is I've held onto my crappy Destro heads cause I noticed how the mouth looked like a sweet Samarai.. I just never got around to messing around with it... what you've done totally blows me away... I cant wait to see him painted up and finished...

The only thing I gotta ask is, do you plan on sculpting any armor to the torso or shoulder pieces? to me, it looks a bit plain compaired to the rest of the figure... keep us posted how this baby comes along!!!

Holy crap!!! I can't wait for you to finish this one it is going to be SO SWEET! :D I did a Samurai custom of Bayushi Shoju the Scorpion Clan Champion awhile back but the concept came from Beav of Joecustoms.com what I did was a repait of his work. Here is the link http://evilface.com/James/bayushi.htm to maybe give you a color concept? ;)

James- Thanks for the ideas. I saw Beav's figure Jadoku a long time agoa, and in part is is responsible for this idea. I'm pretty jazzed about finishing it also, I just hope there's enough interest to justify undertaking a project like this.

Best figure i have ever seen of yours. Ir eally hope hasbro gives us a similar budo before long. Budo is just plain awsome and your take looks so promising. I always liked redish brown and red on a samurai btw incase you aren't sure about colors