Future Of The 3.75 Line?

Harry_Flashman

Well, we haven't seen anything regarding wave 3 yet.  I think, what Hasbro could do to compensate would be to throw VvV wave 6 and 7 as the next DTC "wave."  At least until they decide what to do.

I don't think the issue is the devolpment costs, I think its the Production costs, Hasbro stated that DTC waves are initially being made in the absolute minimum economical production numbers: the issue is if they can sell that many though the Hasbro Store and to the other web outlets (or at least enough to make a decent return on the investment)

Thus Re-packs of Wave 6 and 7 would probably have to with for the same period of time as a new wave.

Personally I tend to think that theres a good chance there will be enough sales previous quotes of things like the ARAH wave 5 suggest a "minimum economical" production run will be about 6000-8000 units, I can well see collector demand being high enough to snap that up by the end of the year, although I might question if collector demand will actually be high enough for more than one wave a year.

I admit all that is IMO only though.

I don't think it matters too much what the delay is (presuming we WILL get a wave 3 and more). Just that, for whatever reason, Hasbro hasn't visibly prepared for the wave. IMO, if they need more time, they gotta know people want those two VvV waves, they could use those as place fillers until they are ready with wave 3.

Guest DavAnthony

I would assume that they are laying off of the DTC figures so that they can have Sigma Six be in the forefront right now. Hasbro probably doesn't want to compete with themselves so since they know that some online Joe fans will buy something rather than nothing. Therfore they will only have Sigma Six availble until about Jan in the hopes of getting more people into that line. I would figure we may start seeing prototypes, if wave 3 even happens, in Dec and the figure in Jan...maybe. I still believe that if Sigma Six is a hit the DTC figures are gone but that could just be me.

Not true. According to Billy Lagor, the money brought in by Sigma Six also helps fund DTC, so he preferred we bought all joe product. But DTC's future in part DOES* depend on Sigma 6, guys.

This is the biggest load of B.S. marketing spin I have ever heard!

I agree. I think it's more than likely that such an excuse is nothing more to try to force Joe fan hold-outs to buy S6. It's not the first time Hasbro tried the "guilt trip" approach to try to get people to buy stuff they really didn't care for.

I agree with the above comments.

And frankly, I've seen S6 on the shelves, and I'm not impressed. This isn't a bash to anyone who buys S6. I just personally don't like them. And I don't have a lot of money. I barely have enough cash to buy the 3.75" figures that I want, so even /if/ S6's success would aid the line and scale I love, I can't buy them (and won't --- honestly, I can never justify buying a product I don't like).

Not true. According to Billy Lagor, the money brought in by Sigma Six also helps fund DTC, so he preferred we bought all joe product. But DTC's future in part DOES* depend on Sigma 6, guys.

Or not. That's NOT anything like what came out of Lagor's mouth, in the many times that I've spoken with him. The differences between what he said and what you're saying are subtle, but make a HUGE difference.

1. The money brought in by S6 does NOT go to the DTC line. It goes back into S6, as well as helping fund Joe marketing, and anything Joe related that overlaps lines. Thus, by increasing the revenue brought into the Joe property, it INDIRECTLY means more possible money flowing into the DTC line, not by direct sales, but by increased budget.

2. Yes, they would love everyone in the world to buy all Joe product, but recognize that S6 is not likely to be a huge hit among adult collectors, although it would be great if some of the adult collectors got on board.

3. DTC's future, as dependent on S6, only goes as far as the viability of the Joe line as a whole as far as Hasbro execs are concerned. If S6 does extremely well, then it causes the execs to look more favorably upon the Joe division, and thus potentially freeing up for funds seperately for both S6 as well as DTC 3&3/4". If S6 tanks, then yes, it could potentially hurt DTC as well, especially if the numbers from DTC alone are not sufficient for it to self-support. If DTC numbers are down, and S6 is selling poorly, then the execs are unlikely to consider Joe to be a viable property.

This is the biggest load of B.S. marketing spin I have ever heard!

Well, yeah, but only if it had come out of Hasbro that way.

I agree. I think it's more than likely that such an excuse is nothing more to try to force Joe fan hold-outs to buy S6. It's not the first time Hasbro tried the "guilt trip" approach to try to get people to buy stuff they really didn't care for.

Except that Hasbro ISN'T forcing anyone, nor using a guilt trip(see above). All they've done is explain the simple economics of the line. If S6 does well, it helps the overall Joe property. If it does bad, it hurts the overall Joe property. If the overall property is doing well, it points to better things for our DTC line, and if not, Joe as a property, and thus DTC, could be hurt.