Kal-el's Birthday

Spartan-MK2

Have hissing cochroaches Koloth and Kang.

Who'd name their kid THing anyways. Now Ben thats one I want to use. And probaly half because of Mr.Grimm

I really assumed that alot of kids would be named Anakin but ive on;y see one of them. Kal-el isnt that bad. He'll just get called Kal. I wouldn't do that to a kid though.

Thats the good thinkg if you really like certain characters they have fairly normal names.

Or you can be like Penn Jillette and name your daughter Moxie Crimefighter Jillette.

from the article" whose Kryptonite name is Kal-el"those wacky reporters.

Who'd name their kid THing anyways. Now Ben thats one I want to use. And probaly half because of Mr.Grimm

I used Thing as an example of one of the worst names imaginable for a newborn because it has a specific meaning in every dictionary unlike Kal-El. I'm not claiming that all possible comic book inspired names are equally OK.

For example, a G.I. Joe fan naming his kid Hit N' Run will probably make it extra difficult for him to get a driver's license one day. However, I don't think any particular franchise should be off limits. Most involve perfectly good names for children and very inappropriate names as well.

Rob Liefeld named one of his sons Chase which also happens to be the name for a G1 Throttlebot. I think Chase is a fine name for a boy. On the other hand, something like Windbreaker, Squawktalk, or Erector would be an invitation for nonstop ridicule.

OmegaHarbinger

I've witnessed a swirlie or two.  Thankfully it was never done to me, but back at my Catholic elementary school it was known to happen.  Kids really pick on anyone with a goofy name, and I'd bet that kids will know where this name comes from.  He will either be picked on or have to become one of the tough kids to survive.  Parents really should think about this stuff before naming their kids.

When Homer and Marge were going over names:

Homer:  "Let's see, Bart, Cart, Dart, Ee-art...Nope, nothing that rhymes with Bart."

your school was f#cked...i have never known anyone that has ever known anyone involved in a swirlie before...i always kinda figured it was one of those things that kids threaten that never really happen...i stand corrected....as for kids picking on anyone with a goofy name....aside from constantly having to explain how to spell my name (and a fair amount of "beam me up, scotty"s) i never really got any flak for it...i knew kids with far more normal names that got worse treatment (then again the "worse treatment" consisted of "michael michael motorcycle turn the key and watch him pee"...but i'm pretty sure that had more to do with his bladder issues)...and about how parents should think about this before naming their kids...remember the snl skit (ironically now) starring nic cage?...every name can be mocked....if your kids going to get picked on he's going to get picked on matter what...so you really can't be that worried about it...skott

Well, yeah, it was. I went to a Catholic school and the thing about that is that you get two groups: The good, smart, somewhat spoiled kids whose paretnt's didn't want them in public school and the bad kids who have been kicked out of one or more public schools whose parents think a religious education will straighten them out. You end up with several bad eggs all in one place and they congregate. There were fights in the bathroom almost every day. I escaped notice by playing the look-out because the teachers trusted me. Most of what went on was harmless roughhousing and fun, but I did see a teacher shoved and punched at that school. Catholic school was a strange environment. I found it even stranger when I went to public high school afterwards and found it to be more civil.

Well, yeah, it was. I went to a Catholic school and the thing about that is that you get two groups: The good, smart, somewhat spoiled kids whose paretnt's didn't want them in public school and the bad kids who have been kicked out of one or more public schools whose parents think a religious education will straighten them out. You end up with several bad eggs all in one place and they congregate. There were fights in the bathroom almost every day. I escaped notice by playing the look-out because the teachers trusted me. Most of what went on was harmless roughhousing and fun, but I did see a teacher shoved and punched at that school. Catholic school was a strange environment. I found it even stranger when I went to public high school afterwards and found it to be more civil.

where do i stand then?...i got kicked out of catholic school (actually my parents were told my "needs would be better suited in a public school environment" at the end of my first grade year)...but yea...catholic school is very strange...not something i plan on putting my kid through...skott

"Hope he likes swirlies."

do you actually know anyone who has actually given or received a swirlie?...ever?...really now...skott

ps - kal-el is a great name...more people should give their kids fun names

I've given kids swirlies. It's funny.

I've given kids swirlies. It's funny.

um...two things...1) i've lived 25 years and never encountered anyone involved in a swirlie...and now two in two days?...a little hard to buy...2) if you're not just trying to prove me wrong...then what the hell is wrong with you?...seriously...assholes like you are the reason things like columbine happen...skott

where do i stand then?...i got kicked out of catholic school (actually my parents were told my "needs would be better suited in a public school environment" at the end of my first grade year)...but yea...catholic school is very strange...not something i plan on putting my kid through...skott

There were a few kids in my Catholic school that got expelled and were never heard from again. Interenstingly enough, it was not the kid who punched the teacher. Funny story from eighth grade:

A kid was like a minute late turning in his homework assignment and the teacher refuesd to accept it. This was a pretty smart kid who got good grades. He went back to his desk and said to the girl next to him, "God, I'm sick of that stupid B....!" The teacher heard him and called him on it. She was taking him to the principal's office when she had a second thought. "Were you talking to me?" she asked. Now, the whole class signaled to him to say "NO" as we all shook our heads at him. He responded, "No, I was talking to someone else," and the class breathed a sigh of releif. Then he followed with the final remark, "But I was talking ABOUT you." That was the last thing he ever said in that classroom. He was brought to the Principal and presumably expelled. He never came back, but the class gave him a standing ovation anyway.

That one cracks me up. I remmeber the day very clearly. Ah, those elementary and middle school days can not be beat.

There were a few kids in my Catholic school that got expelled and were never heard from again. Interenstingly enough, it was not the kid who punched the teacher. Funny story from eighth grade:

A kid was like a minute late turning in his homework assignment and the teacher refuesd to accept it. This was a pretty smart kid who got good grades. He went back to his desk and said to the girl next to him, "God, I'm sick of that stupid B....!" The teacher heard him and called him on it. She was taking him to the principal's office when she had a second thought. "Were you talking to me?" she asked. Now, the whole class signaled to him to say "NO" as we all shook our heads at him. He responded, "No, I was talking to someone else," and the class breathed a sigh of releif. Then he followed with the final remark, "But I was talking ABOUT you." That was the last thing he ever said in that classroom. He was brought to the Principal and presumably expelled. He never came back, but the class gave him a standing ovation anyway.

That one cracks me up. I remmeber the day very clearly. Ah, those elementary and middle school days can not be beat.

that is hilarious...that even beats the kid i knew in 2nd grade who got mad at the teacher when she wouldn't let go to the bathroom so he threw a desk at her...skott

Being named after a cartoon/comic book character myself(My first name is Ritchie[i know it is spelled a bit different], while my middle name is Rich,) I never gotten the swirl or anything too harsh. I was teased for my name during elementary school since everyone knew the Richie Rich cartoon. However, since then, the teasing stopped probably ppl who I knew, became more mature, plus that Richie Rich isn't as popular now as he was back then.

I've given kids swirlies.  It's funny.

um...two things...1) i've lived 25 years and never encountered anyone involved in a swirlie...and now two in two days?...a little hard to buy...2) if you're not just trying to prove me wrong...then what the hell is wrong with you?...seriously...assholes like you are the reason things like columbine happen...skott

Before you start accusing people of being assholes find out the whole story jackass.

First off, it was my brother and his friend I gave them too. Second they had just put chocolate pudding in my hat and I put it on not realizing it.

We used to pull pranks on each other all the time. THe best one I ever did was when he was about 7 and there was a tornado warning so I took my keyboard which had a siren effect into the room next to him and turned it up all the way and hit 3 keys at once. He came screaming out of the room. All I saw was this streak fly by the bathroom and I started laughing. Then he heard me and realized what happened. That was my best prank ever!

He was no stranger to white washes and pink bellies growing up. It was how we showed our love. If fact he's 14 now and he's a big kid so he fights back pretty good when he visits. I still can hold him down but barely anymore. In a few years he's gonna be giving me swirlies. He's only 14 and he can pick me up. He's a strong kid!

Yeah I picked on him alot but he knew it was all in fun. Most of the time he did. A few times I made him cry pretty hard. I used to do the "long loogie then suck it back up before it hits your face" thing. A few times I didn't suck it back up in time.

I got picked on alot in school too. I was a skinny white boy with hair like Moe from the 3 Stooges.

I'm not trying to turn this into a debate but you can't entirely blame the kids that picked on the other kids for the reason Columbine happened. Heaven forbid someone actually have to take the blame for their own actions. My Dad was abusive sometimes and my Mom called as names and drank and yet I've never felt the need to kill someone. Don't be so ignorant and blame others saying "Well they made me do it" that's complete horse crap.

I believe the Columbine incident was sad and a shame but I blame the kids who shot the others more than the ones who "pushed" them to it. They dealt with it in a wrong and negative way which was their choice.

I don't mean to freak out but it just struck a nerve.

" Before you start accusing people of being assholes find out the whole story jackass."

fair enough...but then again...we were talking about giving swirlies to kids at school and you didn't give teh whole story...so one could only assume that's what you were talking about as well

"First off, it was my brother and his friend I gave them too. Second they had just put chocolate pudding in my hat and I put it on not realizing it."

overreact much?

"We used to pull pranks on each other all the time. THe best one I ever did was when he was about 7 and there was a tornado warning so I took my keyboard which had a siren effect into the room next to him and turned it up all the way and hit 3 keys at once. He came screaming out of the room. All I saw was this streak fly by the bathroom and I started laughing. Then he heard me and realized what happened. That was my best prank ever!

He was no stranger to white washes and pink bellies growing up. It was how we showed our love. If fact he's 14 now and he's a big kid so he fights back pretty good when he visits. I still can hold him down but barely anymore. In a few years he's gonna be giving me swirlies. He's only 14 and he can pick me up. He's a strong kid!

Yeah I picked on him alot but he knew it was all in fun. Most of the time he did. A few times I made him cry pretty hard. I used to do the "long loogie then suck it back up before it hits your face" thing. A few times I didn't suck it back up in time."

again...fair enough...prank wars with siblings are different than either standard bullying or the kind of abuse everyone seems to think kal-el is going to get

"I got picked on alot in school too. I was a skinny white boy with hair like Moe from the 3 Stooges.

I'm not trying to turn this into a debate but you can't entirely blame the kids that picked on the other kids for the reason Columbine happened. Heaven forbid someone actually have to take the blame for their own actions. My Dad was abusive sometimes and my Mom called as names and drank and yet I've never felt the need to kill someone. Don't be so ignorant and blame others saying "Well they made me do it" that's complete horse crap.

I believe the Columbine incident was sad and a shame but I blame the kids who shot the others more than the ones who "pushed" them to it. They dealt with it in a wrong and negative way which was their choice."

i'm not entirely blaming the kids who picked on the columbine kids...but revenge is a pretty common motive...had those kids not been abused by their peers they would not have killed them...hell revenge caused you put your little brother's head in a toilet because he put pudding in your hat...true not everyone that gets bullied kills...but if you torment someone that already has a mental illness that would cause you to think that it was the right thing to do (as one would obviously have in order to do it)...then there's a good chance something bad is going to happen to you

"I don't mean to freak out but it just struck a nerve."

same here...skott

I can agree with that I guess. I should've pointed out that I didn't do it in school but at home being that the subject being discussed was being picked on at school.

And I wasn't overreacting. It was what we did. I'd do seomthing to him and he'd try to get me back and when he did something I'd try to get him back. I wouldn't call it revenge though. Revenge is usually backed by anger or hatred. There was no anger or hatred when I flushed my brother's head. I was laughing as he had been when I pulled the hat off my head and a glob of pudding slid down my face.

But teasing at school can be harsh. But I still say the shooting was the fault of the kids who shot. Like I said I got picked on alot but I've never wanted to kill anyone.