Recent Store Exclusive Sets...

Buckwheat826

People said the same thing about the Crimson Command Copter, also. And about the Ice Sabre the first time it hit shelves. Or those oh so "rare" BTR sets that are also starting to show up at Tuesday Mornings... Just because you don't see something doesn't mean it doesn't exist in ample numbers somewhere.

I have to agree with him on this...wave 6 will show up eventually. It might not have the numbers of wave 7 or 5, but I believe there are a lot more out there. There are several new molds that came out with this wave, and I find it hard to believe that Hasbro would've invested all that money in...say an new Torch mold...only to hardly use it.

People said the same thing about the Crimson Command Copter, also. And about the Ice Sabre the first time it hit shelves. Or those oh so "rare" BTR sets that are also starting to show up at Tuesday Mornings... Just because you don't see something doesn't mean it doesn't exist in ample numbers somewhere.

I have to agree with him on this...wave 6 will show up eventually. It might not have the numbers of wave 7 or 5, but I believe there are a lot more out there. There are several new molds that came out with this wave, and I find it hard to believe that Hasbro would've invested all that money in...say an new Torch mold...only to hardly use it.

Of course that's a possibility (I saw 4 Cobra Infantry Packs 5 months after the stopped appearing in general circulation). It just isn't a very strong possibility. And you better believe I'm hoping Big Lots puts 'em out for Christmas!

In the 10 months or so since they first appeared I've search literally 3 DOZEN stores in 3 cities (and 2 states) and have NEVER seen them. They are extremely rare on Ebay. I think the only online store that might possibly have them is Brian's Toys if you consider the dozens of sites I perused makes NO mention of them. Those that do still list them as pre-order.

And, as for Hasbro investing money in a new mold to hardly use it, do Hacker, Red Spot, Wide Scope, Lady Jaye, Slip-Stream, and Blowtorch ring a bell? And those are just the new sculpts.

I highly doubt that anything released in the past 10 years will ever be "rare": even MISB. There's just too many guys keeping/hoarding/displaying this stuff for it ever to have the value of the old stuff.

If I had to bet on something I'd put my money on the Wal-Mart exclusive urban and desert sets. I saw those once or twice and then they were GONE. Shame I didnt buy them huh? heh.

I definately dont buy toys for profit, but I must admit from a collector stand point just like collecting anything else, its nice to know that something in your collection is rare or valuable. How fun would a big box of baseball cards be if they were all commons??? You gotta have at least one or two pieces in your collection that you can say "Yeah this figure alone is worth a hundred bucks" or whatever ... Its not about the hundred bucks, sure there are better ways to earn a hundred bucks. Its about having something in your collection that other people want. :)

Phanstar

I highly doubt that anything released in the past 10 years will ever be "rare": even MISB. There's just too many guys keeping/hoarding/displaying this stuff for it ever to have the value of the old stuff.

If I had to bet on something I'd put my money on the Wal-Mart exclusive urban and desert sets. I saw those once or twice and then they were GONE. Shame I didnt buy them huh? heh.

I definately dont buy toys for profit, but I must admit from a collector stand point just like collecting anything else, its nice to know that something in your collection is rare or valuable. How fun would a big box of baseball cards be if they were all commons??? You gotta have at least one or two pieces in your collection that you can say "Yeah this figure alone is worth a hundred bucks" or whatever ... Its not about the hundred bucks, sure there are better ways to earn a hundred bucks. Its about having something in your collection that other people want. :)

Phanstar

I understand what you mean.

Question is, FTWP, knowing a certain figure or vehicle is rare and/or valuable, do you treat it differently?

I have never bought anything with the thought of resale value later. It serves me no purpose to spend the money on my collection and just keep it in the box or package waiting on it to get valuable. <_<

Well, sometimes we like to keep it MISB because it looks rad MISB. Like I enjoy the way my Crimson Sabotage set looks displayed MISB better than the one I have displayed loose. Same with my MOC Storm Shadow V1 and my MOC Straight Arm Joes.

I guess you could be right about keeping some stuff MOC or MIB. I guess if you paid a small fortune for something you would want to keep it in the best possible condition. I bought everything when it was new. IMHO no toy looks like a lot of fun if it is still in the case. BUT, I do understand your point.

I guess if I had paid big bucks for a hard to get figure I would leave it in mint condition. The only thing that comes to mind are the figures from Japan. And that is only because I like the card art. But then again I wouldn't pay that much for a figure that I couldn't add to my armies either.

I guess you could be right about keeping some stuff MOC or MIB. I guess if you paid a small fortune for something you would want to keep it in the best possible condition. I bought everything when it was new. IMHO no toy looks like a lot of fun if it is still in the case. BUT, I do understand your point.

I guess if I had paid big bucks for a hard to get figure I would leave it in mint condition. The only thing that comes to mind are the figures from Japan. And that is only because I like the card art. But then again I wouldn't pay that much for a figure that I couldn't add to my armies either.

Exactly, one of my favorite things about GI Joe is the hand painted cardbacks,

the Japanese joe cardbacks are awesome, plus any figure we keep moc just as easily can found loose. But I didn't pay a fourtune for my MOC's, just a right place, right time kinda deal on every one. I do understand your point about how buying toys as an investment is a waste of time. Investing in toys is a poor financial decision,it's not like Stocks or real estate, the profit margin would be so small, it would barely cover all the cardboard boxes and storage unit to house the collection. @loll@