Recent Store Exclusive Sets...

Buckwheat826

Not including figure 6-packs, what are some sets like the OCS you guys consider rare or worth keeping nice and MISB. I've got this Operation Avalanche and its not one of my ideas of a WOW set. I bought it for the Iron Granadier, Quad and Cobra Glider. It may be worth something just to be worth something but I can't see it as a must have. Any TRU vehics? Snow Cat, Locust, Moray, HISS 3, etc. Any other sets you guys know of or own that you really value that compare to the OCS?

I have never bought anything with the thought of resale value later. It serves me no purpose to spend the money on my collection and just keep it in the box or package waiting on it to get valuable.

Hey don't get me wrong, I'm no Brians Toys nor a scalper but it would be dishonest to say that one wouldn't regret opening something that's not deemed a "must display" or something cool to mess around with and only to find out down the trough...dang! I shouldda kept that one MOC. Shoot, I've got a whole slew a stuff unopened cuz I don't have the room to put 'em up. Like my holy grail army of Wave 7 Blue and Reds to which I've over 60, only 14 are opened because again I have no room to set up. Once I do, best believe most of my unopend stash will cease to be unopened. Until then, I'd be a fool to open them all only to come to a point where I say "That was fun. Time to ditch Joe and sell." Hence, investment CYA. Dig?

I'm just curious as to what you guys think are hot in your opinion. I see some stuff on Ebay that I think is near crap (including Operation Avalanche) that sells for stupid amounts. One man's Fiat is another's Ferarri.

And since I've only been in the game a bit over a year, I'm asking because most here have been with Joe since or before Y2K. So, any ideas?

Right off the bat, the OCS is a baddassh set, along with well that's all I can think of at the moment.

;)

I highly doubt that anything released in the past 10 years will ever be "rare": even MISB. There's just too many guys keeping/hoarding/displaying this stuff for it ever to have the value of the old stuff.

With that disclaimer out of the way, I don't think there's been any sets released since '00 that would be desirable even if what I wrote above weren't true. For the most part, the packaging has been pretty poor and most of the figures are readily available in other venues. Even your example of the OCS is rather flimsy since the figures in it have been released 2 other times and became pegwarmers in their most recent retail incarnation. Going forward, anyone who wants CG's will be easily available to acquire them without having to spend a lot.

If anything is going to hold it's value, I would think it would be the Cobra Infantry 6 pack. That looks fairly decent in the package due to the uniformity. However, if Hasbro releases those infantry figures again in similar colors (even if it the Night Watch mold with the old heads and horrid arms) the demand for the '04 version will drop.

Joe collectors as a whole aren't too big on the whole MIB/MIP thing. As such, even going forward, I don't think you'll ever see any real appreciation on MIB items that aren't vintage. (Hell, I'd go so far as to say that anything made after around '88 is fairly common and won't go much higher than it already is.) This new stuff was made in too great of quantities with too many people stashing them away in closets for you to ever see a modern item start to appreciate the way the vintage MIB items have.

There's no point in buying modern day toys as an "investment" of any sort. There's better, more lucrative ways, to invest money. Go see a financial counseler. Little, if anything, made past 2000 will be "worth" anything in the future since people have gotten into the practice of buying 'one to open one to keep MOC'. If you buy toys for an investment, you're wasting your money.

If you buy toys for an investment, you're wasting your money.

Aww shucks!

Trust me, I don't buy toys to make money. I've told almost everyone I know that these are one of the worst "investments" . Like fixing up a car. You don't do it because you expect return or a profit. It's your hobby. So, with that said I COLLECT Joes and in doing so I have to buy them.

And to further covince any other sceptics, Most of Joe team is customized, tweeked or paint detailed. So, I really doubt there would be any return value there.

I'm just curious is all. Interesting ya know. About what your favs are.

I agree with what was mentioned concerning the modern production masses. But hey that's what was thought back in the '80s right? Heh Heh. Wish I bought doubles of Snake Eyes, Stormie, the Baroness, and a whole lot of others back when I was a kid. ;)

You guys know more so I ask.

The only items I've kept MOC/MIP have been the Comic Packs & the DTC stuff. For me, simply because of the vintage aspects to those. Some of those I've got duplicates to open though.

Most of my collection that is MOC/MIP are vintage items, everything else I pretty much open.

People do fix up old cars to turn a profit, and it can be very lucrative. People wouldn't do the same to fix up a 2000 Ford (for instance) for the same reason. You keep bringing up value and investment in regard to the toys so it's some kind of factor for you.

The old 80s toys have value because we, that are collectors now, played with the stuff as kids and opened the stuff up limiting the amount of those items that exist to this day. Now people, usually adults, that buy toys keep the stuff "mint" and sealed and in closets. You're trying to compare two entirely different eras.

Now people, usually adults, that buy toys keep the stuff "mint" and sealed and in closets. You're trying to compare two entirely different eras.

This thread is getting off topic of what I really wanted to focus on but just the same you would say an owner of say an encased MOC Storm Shadow v1 is sold for near over 400+clams because he's a fan? And if we are just fans who just open them without a care and never buy doubles, why do we...

Now people, usually adults, that buy toys keep the stuff "mint" and sealed and in closets.

I agree that we as collectors and fans open them to enjoy, shoot I do but will admit that I (I'm sure most collectors do) do buy an extra here and there for a couple of reasons:

1. what ever, customs, etc

2. MOC display - how many pic galleries do you see with a room of unopened, pristine Joe? lots right. I think it looks cool.

3. and the notoriou$$ (not my focal intention my any means but just being honest.)

Hey I started collecting Joe because I did when I was a kid. Actually I wouldn't actually say "collected" rather amassed and played with :D

I read the comics and watched the show reliogiously until the Fridge got in the mix.

As for fixin' up cars, I agree. A vintage Super Bee or Aston Martin is restored and the value is off the meters. But new skool rides like Hondas are not a wise investment. I know, I've been there in 13.7 seconds.

So, with that hopefully out of the way I'd like to marinate with yous about Joe, not dollars. @smoke@

Now people, usually adults, that buy toys keep the stuff "mint" and sealed and in closets. You're trying to compare two entirely different eras.

This thread is getting off topic of what I really wanted to focus on but just the same you would say an owner of say an encased MOC Storm Shadow v1 is sold for near over 400+clams because he's a fan? And if we are just fans who just open them without a care and never buy doubles, why do we...

Now people, usually adults, that buy toys keep the stuff "mint" and sealed and in closets.

I agree that we as collectors and fans open them to enjoy, shoot I do but will admit that I (I'm sure most collectors do) do buy an extra here and there for a couple of reasons:

1. what ever, customs, etc

2. MOC display - how many pic galleries do you see with a room of unopened, pristine Joe? lots right. I think it looks cool.

3. and the notoriou$$ (not my focal intention my any means but just being honest.)

Hey I started collecting Joe because I did when I was a kid. Actually I wouldn't actually say "collected" rather amassed and played with :D

I read the comics and watched the show reliogiously until the Fridge got in the mix.

As for fixin' up cars, I agree. A vintage Super Bee or Aston Martin is restored and the value is off the meters. But new skool rides like Hondas are not a wise investment. I know, I've been there in 13.7 seconds.

So, with that hopefully out of the way I'd like to marinate with yous about Joe, not dollars. @smoke@

My feeling is that are a lot of collectors (mostly younger/newer to the hobby) who do buy extras to keep MOC/MIB with the hopes that the new stuff will one day be worth tons like the vintage stuff is. The different eras to which IS referred to, though, is that as adults more of us are keeping this stuff MOC then we did as kids. More importantly, there is not a generation of kids who will come of age in 10-12 years who will have the nostalgic connection to Joe that we all do. Thus, there will not be the influx of new people who want the mint items from '00-'05 like there were when we started coming of age in the late '90's. That alone will keep the demand for these items soft as (mostly likely) in 10 years the guys collecting Joe will mostly be the same as the guys who are collecting Joes today, buying stuff at retail and setting aside extra carded/boxed samples with the hopes that stuff will one day be worth some money.

Hey Buckwheat, I'll tell ya what I like to collect MOC form the past five years; I love my MOMC TRAHC collection along with my GvsC Wave 1 MOMC figures. Neither of those sets were exclusives, other than maybe that last wave of the RAHC figures that were online exclusives, but even then you could find them online everywhere, albeit for inflated prices now and then. But I just like having a MOMC collection of the ones I've mentioned above because they were the first new Joes I had bought in a long time and I have some great memories of even the times when I bought them. That and I really dig the packaging on both lines suprisingly...

Right now about 98% of my Joe collection is MOC/MISB, but someday I'm gonna rip most of it all open to display in a room someday.

I think if any of the new stuff goes up in value it will be the infantry pack and the ninja clan pack.

I also buy at least two of everything, not for resale, but I think the joes just look cool hanging along the wall MOC. I dont ever plan to resell my MOC/MIB collection but maybe in 50 yrs when I am gone my grandkids can sale them to some GI Joe / Toy / Antique collector and get a few bucks to put a few meals on the table.

There are three truly stand-out pieces in my mind for the figures:

Operation Crimson Sabotage, Crimson Guard Force, Cobra Infantry Forces

Those three sets alone have allowed me to build the army I've always wanted at a fraction of the cost I would have paid otherwise!

I'll have to think on the Joe sets as I haven't been as "wowed" by them.

I highly doubt that anything released in the past 10 years will ever be "rare": even MISB. There's just too many guys keeping/hoarding/displaying this stuff for it ever to have the value of the old stuff.

With that disclaimer out of the way, I don't think there's been any sets released since '00 that would be desirable even if what I wrote above weren't true. For the most part, the packaging has been pretty poor and most of the figures are readily available in other venues. Even your example of the OCS is rather flimsy since the figures in it have been released 2 other times and became pegwarmers in their most recent retail incarnation. Going forward, anyone who wants CG's will be easily available to acquire them without having to spend a lot.

If anything is going to hold it's value, I would think it would be the Cobra Infantry 6 pack. That looks fairly decent in the package due to the uniformity. However, if Hasbro releases those infantry figures again in similar colors (even if it the Night Watch mold with the old heads and horrid arms) the demand for the '04 version will drop.

Joe collectors as a whole aren't too big on the whole MIB/MIP thing. As such, even going forward, I don't think you'll ever see any real appreciation on MIB items that aren't vintage. (Hell, I'd go so far as to say that anything made after around '88 is fairly common and won't go much higher than it already is.) This new stuff was made in too great of quantities with too many people stashing them away in closets for you to ever see a modern item start to appreciate the way the vintage MIB items have.

Two words:

Wave Six.

Meh. I saw wave 6 for a solid month and it just sat and didn't move until talk of the hiatus came up. There was a couple of cases and I still think they'll show up at some discount outlet sooner or later. They were obviously porduced, so they're out there somewhere. People thought the same thing about the Crimson Command Chopper and that showed up at Tuesday Mornings all over the place.

People said the same thing about the Crimson Command Copter, also. And about the Ice Sabre the first time it hit shelves. Or those oh so "rare" BTR sets that are also starting to show up at Tuesday Mornings... Just because you don't see something doesn't mean it doesn't exist in ample numbers somewhere.

I'd be nice to see some more Blue Night Adders. I know this isn't a store exclusive but have really been eyeing the HISS 2 since everyone's all gassed about the new DTC one. Is the IIb repaint from the 2003 Con super hard to get (at 300 peices made) and if so epensive I'd imagine. I want one. Did they sell well or a wind up a luxury peice like this year's Moray. Actually the orig color is awesome..looks like it matches the Maggot. Just prob as eaqually hard to find a minty one at a reasonable price.

People said the same thing about Wave Seven. I'm sure Wave Six will show up at KBs sooner or later.

I have my doubts, I just don't think much of wave 6 was ordered compared to wave 5 or 7 due to its anticipated release date, pretty much exactly in the quietest period for toy sales, with wave 7 hitting just as they start to pick up again, and wave 5 almost perfectly timed to hit saturation arround the holiday season.

With less ordered, IMO its quite likley less than usual were produced. and While there were a few highly anticipated figures it was mostly a wave of repaints and re-tools.

I really never heard anyone complaining about not being able to find wave 7. I've heard a ton more complaining about wave 6. But, back to the exclusives, I think the old TRU A-10 (rattler repaint) would be a great investment. And it's a cool toy to boot. Great in or out of the box. Also, someone had mentioned that the Crimson Guard 6 packs became peg warmers, but that wasn't the fact everywhere. I went looking for more Shadow Guards and the only one I found had been ripped open, and two of the guards were gone. The store wouldn't even give me a discount, so I just passed on em. I was so sad. I think the infantry 6 pack is a real gem. I've only recently been able to get my hands on two sets of em. One was still sealed, but they just looked to great to leave them encased in their plastic prison. So I freed em.

And while I don't collect Joes for the monetary reasons, I do know they come with a bit of a value, and know that someday I may break down and sell some or all of my collection. However highly unlikely that is, it's always good to know what would be worth selling if you can pick it up for a steal.