Snake-eyes: Declassified #2

jedicrippler

Okay, now this was an interesting addition into SE's past.

I haven't read the original series in quite a while, but I don't remember there being anything that would contradict what went down in this issue.

It does add an interesting tie to someone else.

And that someone is, well, just check it out & you should be able to figure out who we finally get to "see".

Ok seriously... I read it and I didnt figure out who it was... Who was it? heh... Plus I guess that was cobra commanders brother in the bed at the end? Man I get confused when I read these stories.

Phanstar

I'll explain who was who.

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!

So the story goes from what I get....

Snake Eyes is out of the war and going home. He is waiting for his family to pick him up. His family is killed in a car accident all three die, his mother, father and twin sister. The guy driving the other car was Cobra Commnder's brother, he alos died in the accident.

From there, the new stuff. We see that Snake Eyes spent the next six months wandering around getting drunk from the depression he was going through. Storm Shadow, with some help from Snake Eyes' sister's fiance, tracks down Snake Eyes and asks him to come to Japan and live with him. Snake Eyes turns him down.

Snake Eyes leaves the bar he was in and goes into the middle of a road and plays chicken with a semi. Some man tackles Snake Eyes and saves him.

The man explains that he lost his job and used up the last of his money traveling around to apply for three different jobs that he did not get. He is mad about the way things are done in the USA and him and Snake Eyes team up to try and make a difference.

They beat up drug dealers, some landlord and alot of others. They take money from the poeple they go after. The mystery guy starts to concern Snake Eyes when he begins to take more money than they need and start getting greedy.

They go on their final job in this one town. The guy tells Snake Eyes to shoot a judge. He tells Snake Eyes the judge was at a trial for his brother. His brother was in the war and came back to the USA. He started a company to help other vets from the war. He ran out of money and the bank was forclosing. Someone ended up burning down the company and it was blammed on the mystery guys brother so he went to court. The jury found him innocent but the judge overturned the decision and said he was guilty. The mystery man's brother lost everything. He got drunk and hit a family head on with his car and they all died.

At this point you realize the mystery man is Cobra Commander.

CC tells SE to shoot the judge but Se will not do it. CC shoots the judge instead and tells SE he is weak and to leave. SE decides to go ahaed and go to Japan to live and train with Storm Shadow.

To really quickly clear up who was who..

The guy Snake Eyes was running around with was Cobra Commander. The guy in the bed was just some judge.

Cobra Commander's brother was dead.

I really enjoyed this issue. It took what past we already knew about Snake Eyes and just went into way more detail. I liked how more ties between Snake Eyes and Cobra Commander were made. It really gets to why CC hates SE so much and was so afraid of him that he sent poeple to kill SE. I guess since SE knows what he and CC did together and also knows who CC really is, is what got CC so worried that SE could bring him and Cobra down.

I'll explain who was who.

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!

I really enjoyed this issue.  It took what past we already knew about Snake Eyes and just went into way more detail.  I liked how more ties between Snake Eyes and Cobra Commander were made.  It really gets to why CC hates SE so much and was so afraid of him that he sent poeple to kill SE.  I guess since SE knows what he and CC did together and also knows who CC really is, is what got CC so worried that SE could bring him and Cobra down.

I still don't see any point in this story. SE was already loosely tied to just about EVERY major character in the G.I. Joe mythos, now he's directly tied to Cobra Commander as well instead of the loose connection they had before. So not only is SE a ninja-God he was some penny-anty thug that essentially helped to found Cobra by helping the man who would become Cobra Commander steal money. :rolleyes: So now SE is no better than a common thief. Excellent.

Next thing you know we'll find out how SE went back in time and fathered General Hawk, General Flagg and genetically engineered Golobulus so he cound create Cobra La.

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!

I still don't see any point in this story. SE was already loosely tied to just about EVERY major character in the G.I. Joe mythos, now he's directly tied to Cobra Commander as well instead of the loose connection they had before.

Actaully He was already directly tied to CC, but there was always a kind of missing link as to why CC really wanted Snake Eyes dead enough to hire two of the best contract killers in the world out to get him (and thus risk the wrath of the Arashikage Clan)

His Brother Killing SE's family in the process of killing himself wasn't really enough of a link: why would CC even notice that one member of that family who wasn't even there wasn't killed in the crash, unless there was some other reason that that person had caught his attention?

The link between CC and SE has been a vital part of the Comic mythos ever since Marvel #25 or so, its just never been fully explained.(although thinking about it aren't we overdue for SE and SS to have another go at properly thanking Zartan for his part in the fall of the Arashikage?)

So not only is SE a ninja-God he was some penny-anty thug that essentially helped to found Cobra by helping the man who would become Cobra Commander steal money. :rolleyes: So now SE is no better than a common thief. Excellent.

Vigliante more than a common theif, there've have been more than a few Comic series where the heroes fund their activities by robbing the criminals they fight.

I just don't know how I feel about this. Cobra Commander and Snake-Eyes runnign around fighting crime together? This issue bothered me a lot and it's too bad because I really liked the first one and now I'm worried about what else they are going to get creative with.

Is DR. Mindbender, Snake-eye's uncle?

Was Croc Master the guy that ran his hometown pet shop?

I overall liked the issue, but I did find it awkward to see these two work together. The idea of going around beating people up was cool, but I kind of wished it wasn't CC. I'm not sure why, because I didn't really find any contradictions with the previous Marvel mythos either. But something felt a little bit off about bringing in CC. I can't quite put a finger on it. Other than the use of this said character, I did think that the writing was great. I'd like to see what else they add with CC/SE.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Jesus, Jewra... just when I thought your craptacular run on the regular Joe title couldn't have gotten worse...

Next Issue! Baroness and Scarlett... roomies in the same college dorm! Major Bludd lived on the same block as Ripper! Tomax and Xamot really aren't twins, just second cousins! These secrets, and more, will be revealed... because god knows DD can't think of anything new to write about...

I felt it was a great story. If you read the original line you know CC has a big gripe with SE and this book shows how it started in a great way. You guys are just way to touchy on SE being the main guy in the Joe world live with it cause we all know it won't change anytime soon

I felt it was a great story. If you read the original line you know CC has a big gripe with SE and this book shows how it started in a great way. You guys are just way to touchy on SE being the main guy in the Joe world live with it cause we all know it won't change anytime soon

I thought it was a good read and I have no problems with Snakes but I do see where they are coming from. It's not that the story is badly written. I think its more that we as fans thought it was obvious that these amazing coincidences with Snakes past tying in with every other major character in GI Joe was getting a little old.

It's not that the story is badly written. I think its more that we as fans thought it was obvious that these amazing coincidences with Snakes past tying in with every other major character in GI Joe was getting a little old.

Exactly. It's not only old but it's boring. Of all the stories that could possibly be told we get more Snake Eyes shoved down our throats in a more non-sensical fashion. I don't want to read how Snake Eyes stole some kid's lunch money in elementary school and that person in turn grew up to be Scrap-Iron or something equally ludicrous. Can't these characters be bad for the sake of making good antagonists without having to fit into the "six degrees of Snake Eyes"?

And FYI, vigilantes ARE criminals under the law. You go out and start doing vigilante justice and you'll find yourself locked up right along side everyone else. If you beat someone up and take their money, you're a thief. Breaking the law is still breaking the law.

I can see both sides really. On one hand even before I made the CC connection, I still had a slightly hard time stomaching Snake Eyes's Robin Hood past. Heck for that matter I had a hard time stomaching his poor me drunken depression phase too. This character has been the quintessential hero of my time second or tied only with Optimus Prime probably. Heh. He was an enigma, a mystery... But he always did the right thing. He always saved the lives even at great risk to himself. So to see him slothing around drunk or robbing from people for whatever reason, Yeah It made me think "Hmmmm do I like this?" Is this Batman? Robin Hood? Im confused.

On the other hand, its a story. In fact, its a GI Joe story. As a writer, of a Gi Joe story, well you need it to be about characters from the GI Joe story. So bringing in CC and making these character ties makes since. I don't think its Devils Due that is getting carried away with it. I think MARVEL got carried away with it in the 80s. I can remember thinking Ok so now SE is linked to Storm Shadow, Stalker, That crimson guard guy, Scarlett, ect ect ect... Devils Due is just trying to write a story and suffering the backlash of Marvel already abusing a character to the max.

Personally I would love to see some declassified stories about more NON-main characters. How about a 4 issue spread about Stalkers past? He used to be a gang lord, so that must have been an exciting journey from high crime to Real American Hero? There has to be a story there somewhere. Especially I love when they expand on Cobra Characters and give more backgound info on them. Scrap Iron seems to me to be a great choice for the declassified treatment. Is he Cobra? Is he MARS? Where did he come from? How did he meet these guys? Where is his true allegiance?

Or even sticking with the bread and butter characters, I think either the Baroness or Destro would make great stories.

So yeah Snake Eyes is dangerous water. First off he is the number one most popular Joe, second he is the most overused Joe. So either way you cut it there is going to be griping. So far I think the story is good, and more than anything I like the art. Why cant the art look like this in the main run??? I prefer it much to the first DD Joe comics AND to the new Americas Elite.

Phanstar

I think MARVEL got carried away with it in the 80s. I can remember thinking Ok so now SE is linked to Storm Shadow, Stalker, That crimson guard guy, Scarlett, ect ect ect... Devils Due is just trying to write a story and suffering the backlash of Marvel already abusing a character to the max.

i'm glad someone else feels this way. around here, it seems like blasphemy to even speak negatively of the marvel run. yeah, it was good...but it wasn't untouchable. i have more than a handful of complaints about it, and i wont sit around pretending it was the perfect book.

jewra and baylock were handed a story, a history, and pre-established characters. if they went back and re-wrote everything, the same people crying throughout every post now would still have something to gripe about with the DD run.

I think MARVEL got carried away with it in the 80s. I can remember thinking Ok so now SE is linked to Storm Shadow, Stalker, That crimson guard guy, Scarlett, ect ect ect... Devils Due is just trying to write a story and suffering the backlash of Marvel already abusing a character to the max.

i'm glad someone else feels this way. around here, it seems like blasphemy to even speak negatively of the marvel run. yeah, it was good...but it wasn't untouchable. i have more than a handful of complaints about it, and i wont sit around pretending it was the perfect book.

jewra and baylock were handed a story, a history, and pre-established characters. if they went back and re-wrote everything, the same people crying throughout every post now would still have something to gripe about with the DD run.

There were problems with the Marvel Run but I do feel that up until Fred VII killing Cobra Commander and taking his place that it was one hell of a great comic and practically flawless.

I always assumed that Hama just started having problems working in new characters because Hasbro kept pushing so many new ones on him and so he stuck with what he knew.

Yeah well I dont totally blame hama because hasbro was very controlling in telling him who to write about and when, so its not like he could just run free and do what he wanted. But then I dont blame DD either. Course I dont think the original DD series was that good... Looking back now I kept waiting for it to get good, But I dont think it ever really did. But some of these side stories have been ok and parts of the DD run were ok.

Phanstar

My only question:

Do we see Cobra Commander's face?

Personally, I think it is lame (as others pointed out) to have Snake Eyes THE quintessential G.I. Joe comic character. Without him we don't have Cobra? Huh? (Yeah, a bit of over exageration). Having SE tied to CC's brother back in Marvel was going overboard, but this just seems to be the Titanic of over doing it.

The link between CC and SE has been a vital part of the Comic mythos ever since Marvel #25 or so, its just never been fully explained.

Vital part? Really? In what way?

CC's brother dying Drunk behind the wheel was a major part of what set CC over the edge, losing his wife and business was just the final straw. And that accident was what killed off SE's family.

But further without the link expanded on in this issue, CC does not try to have SE killed... the Hard Master doesn't die (while training SE) by one of Tommy's Arrows, Tommy is not implicated in his fathers death, never becomes Storm Shadow to hide his identity and does not charge off to find the true assassin (with SE and the Soft Master off in pursuit of Tommy).

Thus Tommy takes over the Arashikage clan (as the Young Master) as intended by the Hard Master and it doesn't collapse, the Red Ninjas don't form, SE and Tommy (and Jinx) likely never leave the clan. Firefly and Zartan don't gain links to Cobra (given their apprent statue in the criminal/terrorist comunity they might well later, but that doesn't really matter) For that matter Billy probably dies just after his attempt on CC's life without SS to save him.

By this point were looking at about half the Character stories of the Marvel run are comepletely removed. Cobra probably still forms (If CC's Brother was in the Habit of driving drunk the odds were poor for his long term survival, and it's quite likely the colapse of his busness and marrage were goiung to happen anyway) but nearly everything would have been affected in some way by the lack of that link.

It might be better to say that its a Vital part Of Snake eye's Backstory than of the whole Gi Joe run, but the two are so intertwined thats really just spliting hairs.

I can really only read a few of the original run marvel comics. I think it was in the mid #20's that SE all of sudden became a ninja. That's when I checked out. That's part of why I liked the Special Missions and European Missions a whole lot better. They seemed to have a concise, relevant, action-packed mission that sometimes even crossed over into the lame ninja marvel main comic.

didnt in his crazed state he is in now (marvel run) cobra commander blamed snake eyes for the accident happening, so why would he seek him down??? and when cc left his home town he also had his son with him. i didnt see billy. its like they are trying to build a bigger blood fued between the two and snakes has enough enemies. this was honestly the biggest let down issue ever. im sorry, but thats the way i feel. between all the "this is it" lines referring to towns or the "he" referring to characters, if you cant tell a story dont! showing cc's face for the sake of making a backstory.... LAME!!!

i cant remember who said it here, but it was a while ago. it went something like "snake eyes is the most mysterious member of the joe team and yet we know most about him" and thats truth.

If you have a problem with se being the center of the joeverse you have a problem with hamma and hasbro, NOT JERWA. I'm a self hater right now cause i am really aggrivated with some fanboys right now.

Really guys, are you just now realiziing this?

Jerwa filled in one gap, that larry left out, but hama made se what he was and connected him to everybody. This meeting easily makes sense and was needed.

Cobra would have formed without se, easily.

Do i think there are better stories to tell besides an se origin? sure do. But you gotta remember, Jerwa pitched several stories, this is the story Josh let him tell. I would have prefered an early team story, or mand a 3.

This was a great issue, se was the star but i didn't care about him. YOu all seemed to have missed something about cc. We finaly get to see him forming cobra, notice se's notes. CC was changing, he started with a good cause, or at least was very convincing that he had one. Slowly he turned into the creepy evil cc. That was some great characterization and a story that probably wouldn't have been shown any other way.

The link between CC and SE has been a vital part of the Comic mythos ever since Marvel #25 or so, its just never been fully explained.

Vital part? Really? In what way?

CC's brother dying Drunk behind the wheel was a major part of what set CC over the edge, losing his wife and business was just the final straw. And that accident was what killed off SE's family.

But further without the link expanded on in this issue, CC does not try to have SE killed... the Hard Master doesn't die (while training SE) by one of Tommy's Arrows, Tommy is not implicated in his fathers death, never becomes Storm Shadow to hide his identity and does not charge off to find the true assassin (with SE and the Soft Master off in pursuit of Tommy).

Thus Tommy takes over the Arashikage clan (as the Young Master) as intended by the Hard Master and it doesn't collapse, the Red Ninjas don't form, SE and Tommy (and Jinx) likely never leave the clan. Firefly and Zartan don't gain links to Cobra (given their apprent statue in the criminal/terrorist comunity they might well later, but that doesn't really matter) For that matter Billy probably dies just after his attempt on CC's life without SS to save him.

By this point were looking at about half the Character stories of the Marvel run are comepletely removed. Cobra probably still forms (If CC's Brother was in the Habit of driving drunk the odds were poor for his long term survival, and it's quite likely the colapse of his busness and marrage were goiung to happen anyway) but nearly everything would have been affected in some way by the lack of that link.

It might be better to say that its a Vital part Of Snake eye's Backstory than of the whole Gi Joe run, but the two are so intertwined thats really just spliting hairs.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, I just wasn't aware of all the interconnection.

And I stand by what I said. It's lame that Snake Eyes is THE character for G.I. Joe. Why did it take them so long to have it "G.I. Joe Starring Snake Eyes?"

Why not just call it SNAKE EYES and some other G.I. Joe and Cobra characters.

Or maybe that was just too long a title?

If you have a problem with se being the center of the joeverse you have a problem with hamma and hasbro, NOT JERWA. I'm a self hater right now cause i am really aggrivated with some fanboys right now.

Really guys, are you just now realiziing this?

Jerwa filled in one gap, that larry left out, but hama made se what he was and connected him to everybody. This meeting easily makes sense and was needed.

Cobra would have formed without se, easily.

Do i think there are better stories to tell besides an se origin? sure do. But you gotta remember, Jerwa pitched several stories, this is the story Josh let him tell. I would have prefered an early team story, or mand a 3.

This was a great issue, se was the star but i didn't care about him. YOu all seemed to have missed something about cc. We finaly get to see him forming cobra, notice se's notes. CC was changing, he started with a good cause, or at least was very convincing that he had one. Slowly he turned into the creepy evil cc. That was some great characterization and a story that probably wouldn't have been shown any other way.

I don't really give a crap whose "fault" it was that Snake Eyes is THE character.

Personally, I feel that what happened in the Marvel run was enough to tell the story and this "elaboration" really wasn't necessary (and I was being sarcastic about Cobra forming because of SE).

And this wasn't "the story Josh let him tell." SE is THE character of the G.I. Joe story AND the most popular character in the line so whom ELSE would they do to try and save a comic line?

And this wasn't "the story Josh let him tell."  SE is THE character of the G.I. Joe story AND the most popular character in the line so whom ELSE would they do to try and save a comic line?

Actaully what might be cool would be a "Gi Joe Rookie's" sub-title focusing on the Likes of Barrel Roll, Crossshair, Rollbar, Switch Gears, Hacker, Red Spot, Faces, Tiger Claw, Wide Scope and Bombstrike, it'd also allow the return of Blackout and the finishing off of that storyline. You could also add the likes of Crossfire and Double Blast, erven the DD crafted Mariner and Mayday

It'd be interesting to see the conflict though the perspecive of guys who are already fairly competent and expeenced, but who aren't already settled into thier unit, Aren't all quite at the top of their specalties yet and who don't yet have much a personal connection to whats been happening..

Also If' i was the writer i would be more interested in using characters whos backstory I could make my mark on before anyone else had.

But then I'm just what I'd love to see, I have no idea if it'd sell at all...

Well said. I went back and re-read this issue last night now that I know more of what is going on and more marvel history, and I loved this issue too. Sure I still issues with Snake Eye's crime past, but it makes sense. It gives him motivation to become who he becomes. Seeing the Cobra Commander history is a treat indeed. Your so right, a story that would never have been shown otherwise and I'm glad we got to see it.

Phanstar