Ikea

synch

I been thinking that the ikea shelfs would be real great for displaying things like reissuses & BT/alt figures as of late, & plan to pick up a few for xmas if I have the $$$, I'm wondering if anyone could supply me with some pics of what they may look like stocked full of this stuff though lol ? :)

@loll@

I plan to display all my stuff, stack the bt's up misb by the edges of the shelf all around, & maybe stick an misb reissuse in the middle if theres the space... Anyone have a similar display with an ikea shelf they can take a pic of?..

I figure something like that will look real nice right next to my computer desk, which is basicly the first thing you see when you walk into the room...

Ikea do tons of shelves, but I assume you mean the Billy bookcases that seem to be the TF collector's weapon of choice.

Or from your description sounds like you might mean the glass cabinets. Care to elaborate synch?

I got new Ikea shelves too lately!

Here are my most recent pictures. I just got the case last month, and I'm still lovin it! $89 from Richmond IKEA.

http://www3.telus.net/Trollie99/Toys-083005/

:)

I have the same cabinet as you too. I guess it's the most popular display case for most toy/figure collectors. But since it's in brown, I just sprayed it to silver which makes it more stylish.

Currently I am looking for some plastic steps for each shelf, there is lots of space that I couldn't fully utilize it.

Here are my most recent pictures.  I just got the case last month, and I'm still lovin it!  $89 from Richmond IKEA. 

http://www3.telus.net/Trollie99/Toys-083005/   

:)

I have the same cabinet as you too. I guess it's the most popular display case for most toy/figure collectors. But since it's in brown, I just sprayed it to silver which makes it more stylish.

Currently I am looking for some plastic steps for each shelf, there is lots of space that I couldn't fully utilize it.

Got a pic of that?.. What paint did you use?.. I never even woulda thought of doing that ...

I'd probly go with black my self if I did though...

Are those shelves adjustable? And can you buy extra shelves?

The glass ones are not, how ever it is just metal, I'm gona try welding some extra bars onto one & hten you just need to buy the glass shelf for it ...

I mean why nnot?.. you buy the stuff & have to put it togeather you're self, at least that is my under standing of it ...

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, those Ikea cases really are popular...

I have two of them in my livingroom (filled with TFs ofcourse) and one of my friends has two of them aswell (filled with Palisades TF-statues and Spawn).

From a 3 year employee-

The best thing for displaying anything is to buy the Billy book case, and matching glass shelves and doors. Some of the pictures above show the Detolf glass door cabinet, which is great but not the best quality-wise. We get loads of them coming back b/c they tend to tip over if you put too much in them, up top. That and the glass is usually cracked when you open the box. That being said they're sold in south Philadelphia (2206 S. Columbus Blvd) for $59. The Billy combination will cost $79 for the bc, $5 per shelf and $80 for doors. It also comes with an anti-tip strap you use to mount the entire unit to a wall.

In terms of sales, because it was mentioned;

IKEA has two big sales per year. One is during the summer and the other starts the day after Christmas. They're sales on discontinued furniture and merchandise so I doubt you'll find either of the two afore mentioned products on sale. That being said, at the end October IKEA is celebrating 20 years in the US. ALL customers who shop that weekend (friday, saturday, sunday) get 15% off EVERYTHING in the store. That includes merchandise in the AS-IS department where you can normally find bookcases and glass door cabinets pre-assembled. Just thought everyone might like to know.

From a 3 year employee-

The best thing for displaying anything is to buy the Billy book case, and matching glass shelves and doors. Some of the pictures above show the Detolf glass door cabinet, which is great but not the best quality-wise. We get loads of them coming back b/c they tend to tip over if you put too much in them, up top. That and the glass is usually cracked when you open the box. That being said they're sold in south Philadelphia (2206 S. Columbus Blvd) for $59. The Billy combination will cost $79 for the bc, $5 per shelf and $80 for doors. It also comes with an anti-tip strap you use to mount the entire unit to a wall.

IKEA has two big sales per year. One is during the summer and the other starts the day after Christmas. They're sales on discontinued furniture and merchandise so I doubt you'll find either of the two afore mentioned products on sale. That being said, at the end October IKEA is celebrating 20 years in the US. ALL customers who shop that weekend (friday, saturday, sunday) get 15% off EVERYTHING in the store. That includes merchandise in the AS-IS department where you can normally find bookcases and glass door cabinets pre-assembled. Just thought everyone might like to know.

What weekend is that? I am buying a shelf for myself too, but if there is a special, I would like to know when! Thanks 4 da tip :)

From a 3 year employee-

The best thing for displaying anything is to buy the Billy book case, and matching glass shelves and doors.  Some of the pictures above show the Detolf glass door cabinet, which is great but not the best quality-wise.  We get loads of them coming back b/c they tend to tip over if you put too much in them, up top.  That and the glass is usually cracked when you open the box.  That being said they're sold in south Philadelphia (2206 S. Columbus Blvd) for $59.  The Billy combination will cost $79 for the bc, $5 per shelf and $80 for doors.  It also comes with an anti-tip strap you use to mount the entire unit to a wall. 

IKEA has two big sales per year.  One is during the summer and the other starts the day after Christmas.  They're sales on discontinued furniture and merchandise so I doubt you'll find either of the two afore mentioned products on sale.  That being said, at the end October IKEA is celebrating 20 years in the US.  ALL customers who shop that weekend (friday, saturday, sunday) get 15% off EVERYTHING in the store.  That includes merchandise in the AS-IS department where you can normally find bookcases and glass door cabinets pre-assembled.  Just thought everyone might like to know.

second obi's question with what weekend that is!

& will this sale be present in @can@ as well?.. You said the @usa@ so I never know with that ... I'm totaly gona drive up & get me one of those shelfs if it is on sale here!! $79 + 15 % off = too good to pass up! it basicly just pays for the taxes!

Okay....I can't say for certain b/c the advertising isn't out yet and the company is keeping everything under wraps but it looks as though the sale is Oct 28-29-30. All purchases are 15% off and it's only in the US, b/c the sale is the 20th anniversary of IKEA in the US, not North America. Sorry Canadians, but if you can make it to the Minnesota or Seattle stores you might be able to take advantage. You guys don't even want to know what I'm getting.

el

Okay....I can't say for certain b/c the advertising isn't out yet and the company is keeping everything under wraps but it looks as though the sale is Oct 28-29-30.  All purchases are 15% off and it's only in the US, b/c the sale is the 20th anniversary of IKEA in the US, not North America.  Sorry Canadians, but if you can make it to the Minnesota or Seattle stores you might be able to take advantage.  You guys don't even want to know what I'm getting.

el

wouldn't be worth the gas lol dang it @can@ Oh well, I called and asked one near me about the prices, & they are $79 near me as well ! So I may just go pick one up!!

One thing I'm worried about though with these is how much you can put on the shelfs ... I'd like to stick at least 5 bt's & maybe a reissuse or two on one LOL :S

You think the ikea's here would match the sales price in the u.s. ? :S LOL

what about these Ikea cases:

bertbycase.jpg

I love these things and I wanna get them for my SW figs. They're made for CDs, DVDs, but the glass shelves are adjustable... I think Mike from BountyHuntertoys.com has them, he posted a pic awhile back and they looked awesome! They're called Bertby cases ;)