I Hate Alex Ross - The Anti-superhero Artist

Dolphin-Snagger

Ross is an idiot, in my opinion. Not only does his art look like geriatric superheroes to me, his opinions of himself are on a demi-god level. He is on the brink of John Byrne madness. Both are friggin idiots that think they're better than their fans. Fans make or break their careers and that's why I've NEVER support Alex Ross and his career. So called career. hahaha

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Just because the majority of the fans love his artistic style does not mean we all have to. I met him at Wizard World in Philadelphia two years ago and, while my impression of him was limited to a 15 second meet-and-greet, he seems like an okay guy. As per his art, I find myself with the majority of us. I love what he does with shadow and texture. Unlike so many comic book artists, he has a very profound knowledge of anatomy, and physiology. For anyone who has not read Mythology, he take models and draws his panels based on how they look, in accurate lighting and position. I'm not trying to bash the rest of the comic book world though. I have a deep respect for anyone who has made it drawing comics. It is by no means an easy industry to get into. I just feel as though Ross is on another level compared to some. But feel free to disagree. It's what makes life so much fun.

el

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Just because the majority of the fans love his artistic style does not mean we all have to. I met him at Wizard World in Philadelphia two years ago and, while my impression of him was limited to a 15 second meet-and-greet, he seems like an okay guy. As per his art, I find myself with the majority of us. I love what he does with shadow and texture. Unlike so many comic book artists, he has a very profound knowledge of anatomy, and physiology. For anyone who has not read Mythology, he take models and draws his panels based on how they look, in accurate lighting and position. I'm not trying to bash the rest of the comic book world though. I have a deep respect for anyone who has made it drawing comics. It is by no means an easy industry to get into. I just feel as though Ross is on another level compared to some. But feel free to disagree. It's what makes life so much fun.

el

bra1.gif

Totally agree! :D

Maybe I should say something here.

It's always ok to say u dont like or hate whos' art but u cant say they're trash just becoz u dont like them.

Respect urself and respect others.

Maybe I should say something here.

It's always ok to say u dont like or hate whos' art but u cant say they're trash just becoz u dont like them.

Respect urself and respect others.

Agreed.

When is a person ever their work, or vice versa?

You don't have to be a saint, or even likable to create something worthwhile.

lol Dolphin-Snagger you are such a troll! I love Alex Ross' work but i think his stuff is good in small doses (i guess a lot of artists work is like that) , when you over saturate (sp) the scene with your style it can get a bit much.

Personally I like how Ross makes his characters realistic, however I don't like how he makes them all 40ish and over. Comeon he made poor Barry Allen kinda chubby (too many Snickers bars there huh Barry? looks like you could use some time on the Cosmic Treadmill huh?) Next his Ego I don't like (Well I wanted to base Superman after myself, after all I am the true man of steel but then my friend Roger just begged me and well I based Superman after him after all the best rendition of Superman is a 58 year old man like myself and Roger.) Come on Ross base these characters on people in their late 20s early 30s unless their characters like the Justice Society then you can base them on people who are around their 40s and up.

He can't draw (paint) people under 45....

Huh?

He's done excellent work with the portraits of Toby Maguire and Kirsten Dunst, both whom are under 30.

He's done kids before too.

I happen to agree with his older take on heroes because it makes them more magestic and authorative. Those are qualities that are very hard to capture in a younger visage.

Once more....He also HATED Revenge of the Sith and called it crap on toast....

It's statements like that, that make me like him even more. Personally, SW ended with Jedi and started with A New Hope. Couldn't care less about the prequels or sequels - they're all just examples of Lucas lining his pocket off the backs of legions of fans that are too stupid to call crap, well, crap.

Just go get back on topic, I like Ross' art. I think he's one of the best on the comic scene today. Everyone else makes characters look the same - Liefeld, Turner, Lee, Byrne, etc, etc. These big name artists have a set 'style' change the hair color and costume and the characters are interchangeable. Can't do that with Ross' characters.

legions of fans that are too stupid to call crap, well, crap.

Excusse me but just cause an opinion doesnt match yours doesnt mean they are stupid. Though the Ep 4-6 are the better 3, I certainly enjoyed parts of Ep 1-3.

Just goes to show that, like movies, art is subjective to the viewer's opinion.

Though the Ep 4-6 are the better 3, I certainly enjoyed parts of Ep 1-3.

You enjoyed parts of eps 1-3 - not the whole movie. If you're like me, in eps 4-6 you enjoy the entire film. There's a difference.

I'm not disputing the fact that the pod race in ep 1 and the opening scene from ep 3 were pretty cool - each movie had it's moments. Overall, they aren't anywhere as good as the originals, fell way short of the hype, and like I said, did nothing but further line the pockets of Lucas & co.

The problem with your statement isnt that you didnt like the movies, its you basically called everyone stupid who did like it. You just called alot of people stupid.

Also Lucas deserves every penny he has gotten. This is the same guy that put every penny he had into bringing us the orginal trilogy when they could have just as easily busted at the boxoffice. The fact he was smart enough to set things up so he made the money from all the licensing in a time were that was not a standard is something to admire. The fact that he said to hell with what Hollywood said and do what he wanted to do is another thing to admire not condem. No one forced you to go and watch them. But since it didnt meet your standards he's an evil money grubbing #@# and everyone who liked what he did is stupid, thats what your basically telling us.

No, what I'm saying is, they're too stupid to call the movies crap. Simply because the SW tag is on it and Lucas was the main guy on the project, the masses of SW fans accept it.

As I said before, the prequels had momentary flashes of being good. Unfortunately, those moments were few and far between. As an example, how can you accept Amadalia's complete personality change from ep 1 to ep 3? Ep 1 she was leading the charge to free her people - by ep 3 she was a simpering woman that only did what her husband told her without questioning him or thinking for herself??? That doesn't make any sense.

As far as Lucas lining his pockets, yes, he was smart regarding the licensing agreements that he thought out. However, releasing and re-releasing and re-re-releasing the original trilogy with one or two scene edits because he wasn't satisfied with the final product (because the technology didn't exist at the time) is ridiculous. Imagine if Orson Welles continued to do that with Citizen Kane? The original trilogy - as they were first released in theaters - were classic movies. They left parts - like Jabba's appearance - up to the watcher's imagination, until Jedi. With him being added into New Hope, it takes away from his appearance in Jedi.

These are just examples - yes, they are my opinions of how this franchise has been screwed up. The prequels did nothing but reinforce my opinion.

No, what I'm saying is, they're too stupid to call the movies crap.

And just who is " They're" are you referring too. The legions of Star Wars fans or those that enjoyed the film?

Either way:

its you basically called everyone stupid who did like it. You just called alot of people stupid.

If you didn't like it but some did, they're not stupid. At the same time, you shouldn't be labeled "stupid" for not liking it despite what some fanboys may say.

Just like DS has every right to say he hates Alex Ross. I personally think that some of it is cool.

I've never been that big of a fan of DC, but I've always had a certain amount of love for it's lower-tier characters, Batman's a wimp, Superman's an idiot, Hal Jordan's an #$###, Wonder Woman's useless, but characters like the Flash, Aquaman, Poison Ivy, Killer Croc, the ones that managed to actually have some damn personality without making them unworthy of breathing, so ocasionally, I'll pick up a DC comic book, and I've come to realize Alex Ross is the devil. When he does Superhero art, he makes them human, and I find it utterly deplorable, he doesn't make Superman a superman, he makes him a muscley old dude, and worst of all, he doesn't make Wonder Woman that forever 29 year-old uber-attractive lady, we all know she is and forever will be, he makes her a muscley forty year old saggy thing. The way he does Superheroes simply makes it obvious why movie-makers feel the need to "update" the look of their star, because you put a normal human being in a costume like Superman's and it isn't heroic, inspiring, it's simply pathetic, going to Marvel for a moment, Wolverine can look extremely bad ass wearing that uber uncool Yellow and blue suit (I don't have a problem with it, but you translate it no matter how acurately to real life, and you've just got a dork.) but you put a real person inside that costume, and in that exact same scene, and you've just got a joke.

This doesn't really have a direction, or any real meaning, it's just Alex Ross is the devil.

You quite possibly have the worst taste I have ever seen. :P