Sigma 6

PHAGE

Hey Brethren

..So I'm about to head out of town for a bit and my other beloved half decides in her infinitely informed wisdom to give me a TRU debit card. I left skid marks (the legitimate kind) on my way to the nearest one.

Intent mind you, to pick up a couple more crimson shadow guard or another krylon ripe hydraF, when what did I spy..S6. Takes a while to get to my lil neck o the woods.

So what do I do..SemiAshamed to say I picked up a set of the S6. With 5 bones to spare. Why? Well I figured I had a sizable army of each of the troop builder packs, and a nice floatilla of hydrafoils.

Inner monologue aside..I had to fight a squirt to get the last SE. Made me remember when I was a kid going all gladiator for the rarest figs with an army of like-minded fellow joe fiends (Of which there were legion) in the 80's.

Point is the kids seem to be eating the S6 up with rellish. Maybe its just the cool new thing to play with. The pokeman or yu gi oh de' jour(sp?).

Long story longer...I felt tangiable guilt walking out with the harbinger of 3 3/4 retail doom in my TRU bags. I picked up a couple of Blue Box weapon packs so as to be able to look my 1/18 army in the eyes.

To my surprise, the figs rock. For all of the positive reasons already touched on in the threads. More guilt. Or fear that the line is so quality and feature enhanced that it will be such a runaway success as to eclipse the earnings and eventually spell the demise of DTC. God I hope not.

I love the 3" line with all of my geek heart, but this is the genesis of GI JOE legends. Qaulity and apeal to the max. I mean how big was the ToyBiz market pre legends?

I just hope the 3" collectors demographic is large enough to keep Joe DTC afloat.

The End

Guest DavAnthony

"it will be such a runaway success as to eclipse the earnings and eventually spell the demise of DTC. God I hope not."

I think you can count on that happening.

I think the DTC line was created with the intended lifespan of a fruitfly, to begin with.

I wonder what the sales numbers are like for the Star wars FORCE BATTLERS line? As opposed to the other Star Wars items in the 3 3/4" scale, and if there's more kids buying them OVER the old adult SW collectors?

My grandkids (Kre 13 and Kiree 10) thought the cartoon was pretty cool (they watched it over at their friends house yesterday morning) but they've been with me at Target when I spotted the SS line for the first time, and they didn't seem to interested.

Granted, I wasn't giving it a glowing review and they may have picked up on my negative attitude towards them, but that doesn't always affect their opinions, as they still love their Dragonball Z toys, and I think they suck. ^_^

I love the 3" line with all of my geek heart, but this is the genesis of GI JOE legends. Qaulity and apeal to the max. I mean how big was the ToyBiz market pre legends?

If you are a collector of similarly styled and scaled action figures, you're more likely to have this impression of the Sigma Six line. I'm finding it fairly obvious that the Joe fans who collect multiple toylines (most especially Marvel Legends) are the ones most excited about these Sigma Six figures.

I collect a few OTHER 1:18 scaled military/action type toylines,that I can use to supplement my 3 3/4" Joes with, like CORPS, CHAP MEI, BBI etc.. so it's apparent my enthusiasm lies with the size, style & appearance of these toys. It's all I can afford to keep up with my wants as it is, so I've limited myself in this hobby.

If I DID have the extra money, I know I wouldn't be interested in Sigma Six as a military/action themed boys toy as it falls more into the Yu-Gi-Oh/Dragonball Z/Marvel Legends/McFarland type toylines out there, and just doesn't fit the G.I.Joe I'm familiar with and have loved for over 30 years. :(

I guess in short...I wouldn't call it any stretch of "genius", on Hasbros part, to have come up with this. It's already been done, they just jumped ship with a suitcase full of ARAH copyrights.

I think the DTC line was created with the intended lifespan of a fruitfly, to begin with.

This is what i thought from the begining of DTC. the molds for a years worth of 3 3/4 inch figures were already made and this was a nice cheap way to make hasbro some extra jack off of them! but that being said i would say with the dam things getting sold out and backordered its doing pretty well! the prices are reasonable and the figures look good, the collectors seem to think DTC is a good idea! it wouldnt surprise me if hasbro continued it a bit longer with some more frankenjoes! i wish they did more ARAH style stuff like night watch! (man i love that set!!!)

i've been doing alot of thinking about sigma six here the last week or so (hard not to with half the posts being about it!) ;) they dont look that bad. and i think it might be fun to pick up a couple and try some customizing on em' but the more i think about it i would rather pick up a couple more night watch sets for the money! to boost my ranks of cobra in the scale and style that i've loved since i was a kid!

TM

If Sigma Six was marvel legends I think you would have something to worry about. But they certaintly aren't in proper scale or good quality, Personally I don't see where the comparison comes from. and the price tag is ridiculous for what they are, didn't the 12 inches used to be cheaper?

I really don't think there is anything to worry about, 3 3/4 figures have been going strong since there introduction, they are in a weakened state right now, but I don't think anyone even hasbro can fathom gi joe without the small guys.

And currently there are not enough joe items to constitute a line. Usually they had 3 34/4, 12, and anm aray of vehicles. Now they have like 6 figuresm, none of which are army builders, so kids might by one if they save up, but they will never be people buying more then 6 every series.

I'm sure that 3 3/4 figures will be back to retail in no time, hey probably Sigma 6 style. @firedevil@

If Sigma Six was marvel legends I think you would have something to worry about. But they certaintly aren't in proper scale or good quality, Personally I don't see where the comparison comes from.

There's no toy that can be "marvel legends" except....marvel legends! @hmmm@

The comparison issue, when discussing Sigma Six is not a literal comparison, it's a general comparison. Hasbro can not copy a Marvel Legend figure in it's exact proportions, scale, style or price point without suffering some sort of copyright infringement.

The effort to capitalize on the folks who take interest in a scale action figure such as ML is obvious however and THAT'S what is being brought to light here.

I really don't think there is anything to worry about, 3 3/4 figures have been going strong since there introduction, they are in a weakened state right now, but I don't think anyone even hasbro can fathom gi joe without the small guys.

I couldn't fathom G.I.JOE without a 12" representation out there available, since that's the grand daddy of all that is G.I.Joe and worthy even MORE respect than it's 3 3/4" counterpart. It's gone completely. :(

I'm sure that 3 3/4 figures will be back to retail in no time, hey probably Sigma 6 style.  @firedevil@

Why bother?

There's worse things about Sigma Six than just it's size compared to 3 3/4" Joes. I've said it before...shrink those god awful, pisspoor pieces of plastic, that Hasbro dares to label G.I.Joes...down to scale with the 3 3/4", and I'd still reject them. No Joe is better than a shrunken SS Joe!

If Sigma Six was marvel legends I think you would have something to worry about. But they certaintly aren't in proper scale or good quality, Personally I don't see where the comparison comes from.

There's no toy that can be "marvel legends" except....marvel legends! @hmmm@

The comparison issue, when discussing Sigma Six is not a literal comparison, it's a general comparison. Hasbro can not copy a Marvel Legend figure in it's exact proportions, scale, style or price point without suffering some sort of copyright infringement.

The effort to capitalize on the folks who take interest in a scale action figure such as ML is obvious however and THAT'S what is being brought to light here.

Sota did it with Street Fighter, Mattel is doing it with DC.

Hasbro isn't going to be sued for having a 6" figure line, All figures used to be 5", now they are all 6" and with more articulation, that doesn't count as copyright infringment.

I sometimes wonder where Hasbro got the idea that the 8" scale was a good idea. Now, it's not that I really dislike it, but it doesn't really fit with any of their competition, does it?

I mean, maybe that's the idea? There's no other line out there like S6 to directly challenge them. I'm not sure - I wish I had asked Billy "King of Kings" Lagor when I was at the convention.

Frankly, I know folks don't like Sigma Six. I hate that it's divided the community like this, but hasn't everything since the end of RAHC? @smilepunch@ I think the only thing that will prove who's right and who's wrong is time... if the line succeeds, then maybe Sigma Six isn't such a bad idea. If it fails, then it probably wasn't meant to be. Of course, either way, it doesn't really mean the line is good or bad... just if it 'plays' in the real world.

I for one love the toy line. I happen to like the stylized look, call me crazy. I liked Batman/Superman Adventures more than the old Fox Batman series, even though it was clearly less artsy and mature than the latter series. I like when they try something new, and I especially like it when they revitalize the look of characters. Look at Croc Master and Overkill... two characters who were the pinnacle of foolish ideas in RAH were made cool just recently in VvV... So frankly, with this new and improved (I know, I know, that's a matter of opinion!) style, I look forward to whatever those guys in Pawtucket have in store for us!

Tom

Hasbro isn't going to be sued for having a 6" figure line, All figures used to be 5", now they are all 6" and with more articulation, that doesn't count as copyright infringment.

I didn't state that they would. I stated they would if they copied the ML exactly, which of course they DIDN'T and therefore no infringement.

Does it make any more sense to you if it's worded as an influence on Hasbros decision to go with a scale such as this? Why would Hasbro go this route if they didn't have some OTHER toyline to use as a "comparison", in order to gauge it by?

We're in the milking stages of Hasbros popular ARAH series, and they pooped out on the attempts with the 1:18 scale, so it's digressed to going with a totally different scale/style with ALL the SAME characters, and that will satisfy a good portion of the fans anyway, as some just love the mythos period...in ANY size, shape or form.

Single carded figures of good quality and tons of accessories, with a decent back story to boot!

3 3/4" fans were handed a bunch of excuses as to why these wants (to at least match the orginal RAH run if not rival it) couldn't be satisfied, but yet it's all the things that this Sigma Six crap is providing. @grumpy@

Hasbro suddenly got their way with the retailers, who apparently controlled all these things, by merely upping the scale? :rolleyes:

"I guess in short...I wouldn't call it any stretch of "genius", on Hasbros part, to have come up with this. It's already been done, they just jumped ship with a suitcase full of ARAH copyrights"

So true. One of the points Hasbro is banking on is name familiarity and loyalty above scale. In collectors anyway.

Seems kids on the otherhand will buy just about any brightly colored piece of plastic that have gimmicks and a cartoon. I mean I remember when I was a kid, the ARAH toon was great and all but it was also a showcase for new product. I think it had the intended purpose of making my mouth water for the newest waves' offerings in both characters and vehicles. Think I wasn't alone.

As to S6...I don't collect legends. 98% 1/18 here. Sad to say I'm one of the fore-mentioned sheep that will buy anything with a Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow etc. plastered on it. Baaah

The line is not crap in the qaulity dept. They really are quite cool and fun to pla....er manipulate. I think I picked them up mainly because they were ultra-stylized versions of characters dear to my collectors heart.

Not unlike my justification to myself in picking up the busts and statuettes of late. When they start introducin NEW characters, that is probably where I will draw the line. Probably.

Cant wait for the Windmill S6 fig @smilepunch@

'Sides...that Ninja Hoverbike monstrosity can kiss my blinker. No apeal to me whatsoever. Think the squirts agree. Probably why as of today the S6 figs are gone, yet the cyce thingies are still there to the last one.

'Sides...that Ninja Hoverbike monstrosity can kiss my blinker. No apeal to me whatsoever. Think the squirts agree. Probably why as of today the S6 figs are gone, yet the cyce thingies are still there to the last one.

I'm thinkin' once the collectors get their fill on these Sigma Six figures, we're going to see not only the SS Hoverbike overloading the shelves, but the figures along with them.

Likely to rival the numbers of FX 12" Talking Duke readily available (at 50% off) on the shelves of every TRU right now.

duketalk6.jpg

Kids won't see much difference between this 12" Duke and the Sigma Six one, as far as any added "play" value, so if they were able to ignore the 12" one, I imagine they'll ignore the SS figures just the same.

Can the cartoon make the difference?

Guess we'll have to wait and see. <_< If it does, I'd imagine it's the cartoon that was needed all along, and not the difference in scale of the joes, to get the kids on board.

I'm thinkin' once the collectors get their fill on these Sigma Six figures, we're going to see not only the SS Hoverbike overloading the shelves, but the figures along with them.

Likely to rival the numbers of FX 12" Talking Duke readily available (at 50% off) on the shelves of every TRU right now.

duketalk6.jpg

Kids won't see much difference between this 12" Duke and the Sigma Six one, as far as any added "play" value, so if they were able to ignore the 12" one, I imagine they'll ignore the SS figures just the same.

Can the cartoon make the difference?

Guess we'll have to wait and see. <_< If it does, I'd imagine it's the cartoon that was needed all along, and not the difference in scale of the joes, to get the kids on board.

In total agreement.

On the opposite side of that coin though, is the possiblity that the cartoon will be ignored and the toys (Sigma Six) will soar high with the kids, in which (I guess) the new scale would be what was needed all along?

:o Good God..I hope not!

@haha@

I'd hate the job of trying to find out what kids like today, and even if you do find something, how LONG will it last?

Wow, you know I just figured out why the S6 line was so strangely familiar. Has anyone seen that old Dreamworks flick Small Soldiers? S6 IS The Warrior Elite. Same design ques. All we need now is some gorgons. AKA Cobra La. Wierd crazy stuff

Guest DavAnthony

I know its stupid but it just bothers me that kids are so willing to accept sub-par shows, toys etc. When I was a wee-lad I could never understand how kids liked Spiral Zone, for instance.

When Power Rangers first came on T.V. I was laughing at how bad it was but kids ate it up. I thought the toys were total garbage and kids ate those up too.

I was working at Toys R Us when Pokemon exploded or is that imploded, and I was AMAZED that kids were salivating for this stuff. When the cartoon kept running and running and running it was the same deal.

I guess it just bugs me when stuff is, in my opinion, lower quality and it seems so succesfull. I'm hoping that Lucas's new Clone Wars cartoon will bring some dignity back to cartoons and show kids what quality is. The only show at this point in time that is really doing that I feel is Justice League.

Well whatever it's not the end of the world but it really does amaze me.

Dave