Convention 2006 Email From Brian

SKARAPZ

QUOTE (Robo-Joe @ Sep 2 2005, 08:47 AM)

QUOTE (A-MAN @ Sep 1 2005, 07:19 PM)

Then again, this may be a white lie to give Master collector more time. 

A-MAN, does your dislike for the GI Joe Collectors Club truly run so deep that you would accuse them of using the tragedy in the Gulf Coast as a way to buy more time to find a location for ths convention??? That is really twisted. 

actually, I was wondering the same thing as robo joe. It's a pretty strong accusation to throw out there.

OK, I am not going to turn this thread into club member vs. non-club member flame war, but.......

I see ZERO reason why the club would have to hide behind a hurricane and humaitarian nightmare to buy themselves more time to make a site annoucement.

Quit being so cynical folks.....use your head.

OK, I am not going to turn this thread into club member vs. non-club member flame war, but.......

I see ZERO reason why the club would have to hide behind a hurricane and humaitarian nightmare to buy themselves more time to make a site annoucement.

Quit being so cynical folks.....use your head.

Actually, holding it there could be a GOOD thing. If New Orleans is back to "normal" by the time of the con, an influx of money by attendees into the local economy can only help, right? Of course, that's assuming anyone HAS any money left after the con, right? :P

If another place is selected, I'd hope for Albuquerque

Seems a little more suspicious to me that this would be "Robo-Joe"'s first post.  @hmmm@  *cough, cough*

-saboteur

oh...and      BOSTON!!!!please

I am a long time lurker here, but A-MAN's post was the first one that actually got me to register and reply.

There was no deep dark consipracy behind my post...and I am not coming on as a club defender or detractor...I was just taken back by the post...thats all.

I think New Orleans would have been a horrible location to have the convention. Certainly not glad it's not going to be there now as a result of the hurricane, but I'm also not going to deny the fact that New Orleans is a pretty dirty place and (as we can see) full of some pretty seedy individuals.

You hear horror stories about people attending the Mardi Gras and football games at the Superdome all the time, and getting robbed, beat up, raped and murdered.

Yeah...that's likely to happen in any town, but why go with one that's notorious for it? <_<

I think New Orleans would have been a horrible location to have the convention. Certainly not glad it's not going to be there now as a result of the hurricane, but I'm also not going to deny the fact that New Orleans is a pretty dirty place and (as we can see) full of some pretty seedy individuals.

You hear horror stories about people attending the Mardi Gras and football games at the Superdome all the time, and getting robbed, beat up, raped and murdered.

Yeah...that's likely to happen in any town, but why go with one that's notorious for it? <_<

I heard that man. my little cousin almost got nabbed. Luckily, we could hear her crying and we found her down the block and a thug ran away from her. We lost him but atleast we had the kid.

Exactly. Couldn't agree more.

Im pretty sure there isnt gonna be a New Orleans after this! the whole area is now Toxic! if they rebuild there i would be completely surprised! it would take soooo much money to clean up that it wouldnt be worth it!

TM

Im pretty sure there isnt gonna be a New Orleans after this! the whole area is now Toxic! if they rebuild there i would be completely surprised! it would take soooo much money to clean up that it wouldnt be worth it!

TM

Yes it would, and will be. This isn't the only disaster we've been through, in this country.

Galveston Texas in 1900 had a similar disaster....

http://www.ezl.com/~fireball/Disaster16.htm

They won't be able to restore anything of a historical nature, as that's all gone (mostly) but New Orleans will still exist and maybe be better, cleaner and safer?

that was in 1900 though, long time back theres now gas lines and sewage lines and elec lines and nuclear power plants and drug store chemicals and auto oils and fuels and bodies of animals and people all type of other nasty sh@t floating around down there! the senior analyst for the EPA told the new york times "there is not enough money in the gross national product of the united states to dispose of the amount of hazardous material in the area" thats a huge amount of money to shell out for a city that was 60 (some)% below the poverty line. only 1 in 6 people owned a car. almost none with insurance. dont get me wrong i aint knockin on poor people...(I have lived that life befor and it sucked!) i just hope they think about the other options befor they use a bazzillion tax dollars to put a nice new crime infested sewer where the old one stood! just me though?

TM

They can't just "rebuild New Orleans." They have to change that whole area or risk this happening all over again. There's big environmental issues that need to be addressed that they've ignored for decades. They have to clear all the sludge and crap out of the city even after they get the water out. They can't even get the water out yet and there's no time table on when they'll start doing that. They have to get all of the bodies out - hell they haven't even gotten all of the people still alive out yet. They'll have to raze most of the structures... I'm sure they'll do something to put a New Orleans back on the map, but you can't just say, 'oh they'll just rebuild New Orleans where it is.' It's not that simple.

TM

They should not rebuild it. Why? Rebuild it to have it destroyed again in 5 years..........20 years or 100 years. Doesnt matter how long it takes, but a hurricane will hit that area hard again eventually and if they rebuild the whole dame thing happens it. Even when they started to built NO back in the 1800s i think it was, they knew it was under sea level, but didnt know the consiquences or didnt care. But now they do and better not do it again........

I guess we better star evacuating all of California then, because we all know DAMN WELL it's going to break off into the Pacific eventually, and it's not like we don't already know it.

Better to be safe than sorry?

I guess we better star evacuating all of California then, because we all know DAMN WELL it's going to break off into the Pacific eventually, and it's not like we don't already know it.

Better to be safe than sorry?

LOL @loll@ i hope they dont rebuild IT either!

@smilepunch@ juuuust kidding!

TM