I Have An Interesting Story For Ya...

Devilbat

(You should find this interesting, Viper Hunter...)

Hey guys. You all know me (or most of you) as a 3-3/4" Joe collector. Being a child of the 80s, that's just what Joe is to me. I never caught on to the older 12-inchers from the late 60s/early 70s; it was just before my time I guess, and RAH was my introduction to G.I. Joe. But I always appreciated the 12-inch legacy of the older stuff and what it meant to older Joe collectors. It always had my respect. But anyway, on to my story...

My father-in-law works out of town, and in the last few years, he trained his best friend from high school in his field of work. They rarely work together, but they work in and around each other out-of-state, mostly in Georgia (they work in cable construction). Well, every other year or so, when I've been out of school on summer break, I've went with them to work a little on the side on my off time. During one trip where we met with my father-in-law's friend, I walked over with him to the nearby Wal-Mart where we were staying; come to find out he's a passive collector. I learned that whenever his sons got tired or grew out of their toys, he would box them all up and put them away instead of getting rid of them. I'm thinking he appreciated the stuff more than they did. (lol) But he kept naming older 80s toys that I knew about (Transformers, MOTU, etc.) and I think we made some sort of connection when he found out I was an active toy collector myself. It's funny; I've known the man for years now, ever since my wife and I met, (almost eleven years now) and I'm just now learning of his collecting. I think maybe I understand where he's coming from and appreciate the stuff where maybe his sons didn't, but anyway...

I talk about the stuff I'm into, and he tells me about all the times he's in and out of Wal-Mart stores wherever he happens to be working any given week. Then he agrees to keep an eye out for stuff I might want. Sweet! Not long ago he came home one week from with a VvsV Cobra Venom Striker that had been discounted. But my interesting story is the following:

This week he came over to see my father-in-law, (he's next door) and this time he's brought me a G.I. Joe 40th Anniversary Action Marine from the Timeless Collection. Now normally like I said I'm not into the older Joe stuff, but I had been tempted to get some of the commemorative stuff just for the heck of it. Well, he's just pleased as punch that he's found this figure for me. It was originally $29.96, and he found it discounted at Wal-Mart for ten bucks! It was a great deal and WOULD have been a great item. Now I said WOULD have mind you. I give him ten bucks and thank him profusely. He leaves and I begin checking out this great commemorative figure...hmm. I think to myself, "That don't look like the older 12-inch figures I've seen in pics and at shows." Sure enough it looks like one of those cheap 12-inch military figures you see in Big Lots or at Wal-Mart or Target's cheap-toy aisle. I go online to research the figure a little, just to make sure I'm not mistaken. Apparently I'm not. Some jackass had taken the original figure out and replaced it with a cheapo G.I. Joe wannabe/knockoff. How aggravating! And my father-in-law's friend was just so pleased with himself that he had found this great figure for me for such a great price. I'm disappointed for him as well as for myself. And although like I said I'm not normally into the 12-inchers, it would have been a cool addition to my collection, kind of like a small tip of the hat to the history of Joe. Crap. Here's some pics so you guys can see what I've got:

adctalkpics006.jpg

adctalkpics010.jpg

adctalkpics012.jpg

Like I said what a big disappointment. I can't tell the guy what he's bought; I don't want to hurt his feelings, and I can't very well take it back; can I? I don't know what to do. It was just a cool suprise then a letdown all at the same time. (lol) Sheesh.

Its a definite swap.

I have that very set and the figure looks nothing like that.

The uniform isn't the modern era, like that figure--it'd be Hasbro's version of the WW2 "pea-dot" style Marine cammoflage.

The figure itself is not the vintage style Joe--no way. no how.

The rest of the set appears as is.

WOW! That's pretty damn disgusting!

A perfect example of just how asinine this whole business of "figure swapping" truely is, if not for the THEFT aspect of it alone, for the disappointment that results in such an effort like what this fella had TRIED to do for you, in your hobby. @grumpy@

For $10...I probably wouldn't say anything, but damn if that doesn't still suck!

This is what you should have been looking at....

f9_12_sb.JPG

Aw, thanks Draven, and thanks all you guys for the kind words. I'm like what you all said; I figured for ten bucks it was worth it if the guy thought he had bought me this great figure. I wouldn't tell him otherwise. He's just a great friend of the family, and since I've been with my wife and in the family, him and I have been great friends long before all of this.

But I knew right away when I looked at it, it wasn't right. I mean, like I said I'm no expert when it comes to the older 12-inch Joes, but I've seen enough at shows and online sites to know what I'm dealing with. Heh...oh well. It's the thought that counts...

My suggestion- Get one online from eBay or a reputable retailer, and then return it to Walmart. He won't see the difference when he sees the figure in your collection.

Sorry to see it happen to you  anyway :(

Darque-Angel, that is the perfect solution. Thank you my friend. I think that's what I'll do. And thanks for the condolences. The whole figure-switching thing just irks me to no end; it did long before this happened to me.