Gijoe Custom "how To" Area

Toiletmonkey1

I hope this is the right place to ask this, if not maybe a mod can move it. I want to build a big artic dio, for both Joe and Cobra . I'm thinking about a 4' x 8' area, hills, caves, battlefield, mountain peaks, trails, evergreens, maybe a lake(blue plastic?). So what are the best materials to use for making snow, ice,mountain terrain, buildings( HQ and Fortress)(styrofoam?), and all the rest. Ive never made a custom figure or dio before so I would love advice on every angle of this. Thank you.

Ryan

I KNOW THIS QUESTION IS OLD BUT I WANTED TO RESPOND ANYWAYS FOR FUTURE REF.

WHEN I BUILT MY COBRA CASTLE I ADDED A BUNKER IN THE FRONT OF IT-----AND IVE ALSO USED THIS METHOD IN A MOUNTAIN DIO BOARD I SOMETIMES USE FOR SMALL SHOTS

IM NOT SURE WHAT THE STUFF IS CALLED ----BUT ITS BASICALLY SPRAY FOAM----STUFF YOU WOULD USE TO FILL IN GAPS IN BETWEEN YOUR WINDOWS AND SIDING AND STUFF

IT IS VERY SHAPEABLE AFTER IT DRIES

AND YOU CAN GET A REAL GOOD LOOK WHEN YOU ADD --TRAIN SET DIO BUILDING SHRUBS SOME PAINT AND SUCH

YOU CAN PUT A BUNKER OR A SMALL SHELTER OR WHAT EVER YOU WANT ON THE INSIDE OF THE STUFF ----

IF YOUR LOOKING FOR JUST A MOUNTAIN ---OR HILL THEN THE CHEAPEST WAY --IS TO PLACE A SMALL BOX OR SOME GLUED DOWN AND TOGETHER POPSCILE STIX TOGETHER BEFORE U USE THE FOAM TO TAKE UP SOME THE DEAD SPACE

USE A DREMEL TO SHAPE IT ---THIS IS A MESSY PROCESS -----YOUR GOING TO HAVE TO SHAPE IT BECAUSE ITS GOING TO EXPAND BIGGER THAN WHAT YOU STARTED WITH -----

I HAD A SHOP VAC TAPED TO THE TABLE AROUND THE AREA I WAS WORKING IN ---ALSO BE SURE TO WEAR GOGLES AND ALSO A DUST MASK ----------

ITS A REALLY CHEAP ALTURNATIVE AND IT LOOKS GREAT WHEN YOUR DONE

I CAN PROVIDE PICS IF YA WANT

LMK

DOC

Edited by DOCHOLIDAY56

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ACTUALLY------HAVE A NEW ONE ----IN THE EARLY PLANNING STAGES RIGHT NOW-----

I LIKE THIS ONE BUT THERE ARE TOO MANY THINGS THAT I WOULDVE DONE DIFFRENTLY

AND ON THE NEW ONE I WILL DO MUCH DIFFRENT

LIKE MY ROOMS AND LAY OUT WILL BE MUCH BETTER

I WANT A COUPLE HALLWAYS I CAN DO DIO SHOTS IN

IT WILL BE TOTALLY SQUARE-----THIS ONE ISNT

REMOVEABLWALLS WILL NOT BE ON HINGES BUT WILL SLIDE OUT AND

THE JAIL /DUNGEON WILL BE LOCATED ON A LOWER FLOOR NOT THE ROOF

I HAD THIS ONE PLANNED FOR YEARS AND THOUGHT I HAD IT PLANNED OUTGOOD BUT RAN IN TO PROBLEMS AS I WENT ---NOW THAT IVE DONE ONE THIS NEXT ONE WILL PROBABLY BE

TWICE AS BIG

IT HAVE ALOT MORE ROOMS AND BE MUCH MORE FUNCTIONAL THAN THIS ONE

BUT ITS COOL ---HAS GOT ALOT OF PLAY TIME ----AND WAS A REALLY GOOD PROJECT MY NEPHEW AND I DID TOGETHER

LATER

DOC

Does anyone know how to take apart Sigma 6 figs?

maybe this will help ya bud!!!!

i had it in another post earlier -----------

YES--------I BOILED THEM--------------BUT NOT FOR TOO LONG---------I CHANGED THE HANDS ON MY TUNNEL RAT ----BECAUSE THEY WERE SO HUGE --I USED SNAKE EYES HANDS

LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER

IVE ACTUALLY GOT A FEW CUSTOMS IN THE WORKS

BUT I CANT GET THEM DONE BECAUSE IM WORKING 12 HOURS AT WORK

BEACHHEAD----

WETSUIT----NOT A STRAIGT DUKE REPAINT

COBRA VIPER----CLOSE TO '86 STYLE

COBRA INFANTRY

SCARLET OR LADY JAYE ---NOT SURE WHERE ITS GOING YET

OUTBACK

SNOWJOB OR FROSTBITE

I THINK IVE JUST GOT TOO MANY GOING RIGHT NOW---------AND IVE BEEN TRYING TO FINISH A BUNCH UP FOR MY WINTRY DIO -------SO AS SOON AS WE GET SOME MORE SNOW I CAN FINISH IT

BUT -----LONG STORY SHORT -----BOILING WATER FOR JUST A FEW MINUTES

AND DONT LET THE FIGURE YOUR DOING TOUCH THE BOTTOM OF THE PAN

BEVERY CAREFUL WHEN TRY ING TO REMOVE HEADS BECAUSE THE SEAM WILL CRACK IF ITS NOT HEATED UP ENOUGH ------AND YOUVE GOT TO HEAT UP THE OTHER PART YOUR PUTTING IT BACK INTO ------MY HAIR DRYER DID NOT HEAT IT UP ENOUGH --TO REMOVE ANYTHING

SO BOILING WAS MY ONLY OPTION--------

I HAVENT TRIED TO REMOVE A WAIST AND A TORSO YET ---BUT I AM SOON FOR ANOTHER CUSTOM ---LET YA ALL KNOW WHEN I DO

LATER

DOC

"Umm" What peaces cannot be taken off a Sigma Fig? I do not want to break something. These things are bit to pricey to go broken things.

so far----ive removed

heads

head pins

lower arms

hands

lower legs

and feet

i havent had to try the main torso parts yet

as in the

chest

waist

upper arms

upper legs

it looks as if the figures are just glued together though and with a liitle boiling and a bit of prying they would just come apart

i have and extra snakeyes main torso ill try it with this weekend and ill let ya know bud

later

doc

So would anyone have any suggestions as to adding a rough five'o'clock shadow to a figure's face? Trying to make an AE-inspired Flint, but I can't do that without some stubble.

I used a toothbrush to do the stubble look on this 12" figure.. I taped off the rest of his face, then used an old toothbrush... just make sure you barely have any paint at all!!! practice a hundred times before you actually do it... even when I thought I got all the paint off the toothbrush, I would sometimes see a big splotch find it's way out...

hope that helps.

BASEMENT003.jpg

Edited by JoeRhyno

• 2 weeks later...

urbanteam3.jpg

this one?

or

alleyviperfront1.jpg

this one?

The first is a 21st century diorama thingie... they made like 4 of them, sadly, it's only one 2 sided wall with doors that open and a window, there was a fountain too, a burned out french cottage.. and um, I think one other, they're 1:18th scale, I wish I could find the others...

the second pic is the Castle from the Armies of Middle earth Lord of the Rings playset. it's smaller that 1:18th, but would make a sweet Castle Destro!

I don't know if this has been posted already, but I discovered that the 7.5" Gundam arch enemies figure accessories fit perfect in sigma 6. The Gelgoog has a laser rifle perfect for Flash and a jet pack that has a peg the same size as the peg holes on S6 figs.

TRU and K mart still has some of these on clearance around here. I'm not sure about the 7.5" deluxe figures, but I don't see why they wouldn't work as well.

Just a heads up.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question for you all. How do you switch the necks on figures. Lets say i want to use a Joe Vs Cobra head with the round bottom and i want to switch it with a neck from one of the newer heads. How do you switch it? and when you put it back together is it strong enough to hold together?

ive never done it before but i think you would just use a dremmel to cut the necks off and then use a really strong glue

or you could try and melt them together ;)

hey Phoenix yeah thats what i was thinking too. I mean if i turn the head i don't want it to twist off you know? Thanks

Krazy Glue is super strong and works well for me. Just make sure to get the Krazy glue brand. Another thing, it helps if you drilla small hole in the center of the bottom of the head and a mtching hole in the center of the top of the ball. Then place a small pin or piece of plastic in there that will help give a little more strenght.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been replacing o-rings on older figures and I'm finding some with stripped screws.

I tried putting super glue on the screw driver and glue the driver to the screw but it's not working. The glue just won't dry and stick. It works fine on my skin though.

I want to try and drill the screws out. I don't have any kind of drills of any kind. What should I get. I don't want anything real fancy. It does not have to be used for anything other than getting these screws out.

Any suggestions onsomething simple and not real expensive.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been replacing o-rings on older figures and I'm finding some with stripped screws.

I tried putting super glue on the screw driver and glue the driver to the screw but it's not working. The glue just won't dry and stick. It works fine on my skin though.

I want to try and drill the screws out. I don't have any kind of drills of any kind. What should I get. I don't want anything real fancy. It does not have to be used for anything other than getting these screws out.

Any suggestions onsomething simple and not real expensive.

I think Dremels have a drill attachment or something to remove screws. I think you can get one for under 30 dollars.

I was wondering on how to switch upper and lower arms on the newer arms like Gung Ho. Is it the same concept, can i heat it up and pop it out ?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I hope this is the right place to ask this, if not maybe a mod can move it. I want to build a big artic dio, for both Joe and Cobra . I'm thinking about a 4' x 8' area, hills, caves, battlefield, mountain peaks, trails, evergreens, maybe a lake(blue plastic?). So what are the best materials to use for making snow, ice,mountain terrain, buildings( HQ and Fortress)(styrofoam?), and all the rest. Ive never made a custom figure or dio before so I would love advice on every angle of this. Thank you.

Ryan

Like Rev said, I'd go with some foam board from walmart(it's cheap there, if you go to an office store(office max/depot... it's like 3x as much) anyway, and look for a scrap booking store in your area and see if they have "brick" print, glue that on the foam boards and it makes an awesome awesome wall... some craft stores also have Doll house stuff, rummage around and you can find some cool things...

check out this pic, I used the foamboard and scrap booking paper idea here and I even found a doll house window with working window, lol...

As for caves and earth structures, I'd look into hardware stores and get a big l' bucket of that stuff they put on walls to cover up holes(my cousin calls it "mud" so I dont know the real name, lol)... also, some hobby stores have pre-made molds that you can pour plaster of paris into and make rock like structures... or they make stuff that you can pour on something, it'll dry and you peel it off and then can pour the plaster in it and make some pretty cool outdoor settings... check if your local hobby store has a model train section, they have some real cool things, from fake trees, to grass, foliage... even these cool plastic beeds you heat up in a pot... then pour it in a section to make a river or lake, and when it hardens, it looks like water... some real cool things there...

Hope this helps, :)

-Joe

There is another way if you are wanting a larger terrian area. Use the sheets of pink insalation foam (not fiberglass). They come in 1/4" and 1/2" thick sheet and are the size of plywood sheets. Cut out the size and shape you want and then paint the whole thing with sand texture paint. Do not spray paint the raw foam it melts! Them paint and drybrush as wanted. I have used this method with friends on award winning dios at the con (2nd place group 2004, 1st and 2nd medium 12" dios 2004 and modified for mine 1st 3 3/4" in dio 2004). I will be using this again this year for my dio for the con.

MATT