Dtc Range Viper

die fighting x

i was about to head out to work a little early yesterday, but it was probably a good thing i got lazy and sat around the house for a few extra minutes as the mailman came-a-knocking with a package that had to be signed for. there seems to be a trend of me ordering things from japan, and i'm expecting quite a few packages in the coming weeks, so i didn't really know what to expect.

before i get to the meat and potatoes of this post, i'm going to bore you guys a little longer. when i was younger, i used my range viper as an individual character. i mean, he had a skull helmet! what boy born in the 80's didn't like anything and everything to do with skulls? questionable boys, that's who...the ones that played with their sisters barbies. but i digress, my range viper was used as the one cobra troop that would take any mission regardless of how dirty or suicidal it was.

fast forward to now, i've grown up to be old enough to pay twice the amount i paid for the same figures of my youth on ebay. suddenly, news comes that gi joe is making a comeback. new sculpts start rolling in. of all the new sculpts, two of my most hated had to have been valor vs venom destro and swamp rat. so how in the name of all that's right and moral can these two figures do such a good job of putting together a new range viper? dear god, how!? this is where i post the pictures and stop rambling...

000_0167.jpg

000_0168.jpg

000_0169.jpg

000_0170.jpg

Damn. That's a kick-@ss figure. I may have to order a few more. Glad to see you got a preview.

You lucky sob's!!!!!!!!! @smilepunch@ I so want this guy. Probably my fav wave 2 fig. I loved the original as a kid, loved the one in 2000 and LOVE this one just as much! I can't waut to get my paws on two. :)

Draven

Luck? Money to burn. Those HK sellers charge $10 shipping.

Me, I'll wait and put that toward the Range Vipers themselves.

Nuthin' can top the 2000 one. If they reissued the 2000 one in a 6-pack, I'd buy, buy, buy!!

yeah, the shipping from japan is killer, but i've done it a few times before. ten bucks is actually pretty decent, to be honest.

now to get you guys all heartbroken; that range viper is about to get torn up for a custom @twisted@

i have some more coming from hasbro direct, and those i'll save for the collection.

by the way, Joe...would you be able to post a picture of barrel roll without his webbing on? i wanted to see what his chest looks like, if it'd be easily usable for a tshirt base.

there is no way - the swamp rat head is possibly the smallest head ever made. The new range viper head looks proportional. Who's casting these heads for us so we don't have to buy a bazillion of these figures. I have 5 more swamp rats then I want already and they have them inthe dollar stores around here with a black rifle that's the same as the range viper. I don't really like the super big ammo belt so I could just make my own.

...of all the new sculpts, two of my most hated had to have been valor vs venom destro and swamp rat. so how in the name of all that's right and moral can these two figures do such a good job of putting together a new range viper? dear god, how!?

Yeah dfx, I've thought the very same thing my friend. I was stunned to learn that this was a frankensteined figure, from the VvsV Destro and Swamp Rat no less!! Destro was...ah, okay, but I never did warm up to the Swamp Rat, although I never did open one and actually hold it and check it out in person loose. But anyway, This new Range Viper is just a shining example of what some great frankensteining and colors can do to less-desirable figure parts. So awesome. I hope to own twelve of them at least.

Nuthin' can top the 2000 one. If they reissued the 2000 one in a 6-pack, I'd buy, buy, buy!!

LOL @loll@ I use THAT figure as a stand-alone character - Zombie-Viper! In my 'Joe-verse', he's a Range-Viper (sometimes he's Skullbuster, sometimes not) who was a victim of a 'Toxo-Zombie' death and wanders the swamp around the Terror-Drome. Remnant memories have him staying a true-to-form Range-Viper, patroling and "living" off of the swamp and scavenging his gear from whomever crosses his path, Joe OR Cobra.

(I know, I need a life! :D)

Does anyone else think he looks better without the mask?

i do! why? 'cause, a) i was never really into the range viper skeleton face helmet, and don't like it any better on this version. and, B) that head sculpt is one of the coolest ever, and he's a ten times more awesome figure without the helmet.

Does anyone else think he looks better without the mask? The mask just looks like it's lacking a lot of detail. I think the fact that it's a solid color in the face is what kills it for me.

I agree with that. I have no love with the Skeleton type helmet.

I LOVE the skeleton mask, as without it...he's just another ninja looking punk! Don't get me wrong though, the fact that he has a removable helmet, and not an exposed goofy face underneath, is a major bonus for this version, but I still think the mask is awesome! ^_^

I think this figure is going to give my Wave 7 Vipers a run for the numbers, as far as how many to get!

I've played around with the pics a little, enjoy...

11111range9yf.png

...........................................fireanimation482ri.gif

.............cobrarangevipers4ba.png

I like the idea of the skull mask, I just think the paint app looks a bit sloppy to me. Maybe it's just the color they chose that doesn't agree with me. I don't know what it is. I'm sure if I come into some $$ I will army build these because I like em. It's just something doesn't quite sit right with me. Can't quite put my finger on it.

Cool pics VH! I myself LOVE the skeleton mask. That is what made the original one of my last fav RAH figs before I went throuh the stage of toys suck as a kid.

Draven

Thanks! Another reason why I like the Headhunter Stormtroopers so much also, was the crazy skull-look of their helmets and how wicked sinister it made them look.

Intimidation is all a part of Cobra's terorrist plots.