Rematch

JayC

I would like to know, what exactly did Blaylock do that made everyone hate him so much?

How about the fact that he can't write an interesting, logistically sound and entertaining story all at the same time. Every issue he wrote had numerous fundamental flaws with no reasoning for these foibles whatsoever.

I'm not one for preaching "something Joe is better than nothing at all" so if they lose the book it'd be a mercy kill at this point. The comic would have done a lot better if... I don't know... they did things that made sense in it. Did they EVER explain why/how Cobra Island turned in a cresent?

Faults of blaylock:

1: Greenshirts. I'm sorry this is the comic, NOT THE TOON.

2: Daemon and Firewall, poor cheap characters i didn't care for till jerwa's frontline arc.

3: Beachead stinking, and other poor cartoon references, Hector remerz is fine, but Jinx having bad luck? and beachhead stinking?

4. Se ditching scarlet at the alter, this was Josh's idea.

5.Heavy duty's unneccasry replacement joke

6. The whole bat arc never went anywhere. The super bats weren't used by cobra or coil, it was just a run around the city and blow stuff up story that caused to many question and no answers

7. Told larry Hama what to write for frontline, it stunk, got a lot of people not wanting Hama's return, hurt the sales of frontline which dropped off insanely after that arc, and ultimately saw to it the Orginal joe writer had nothing to do with ddp.

8.Ordered almost all of the Kills in Jerwa's run, including Lj.

9. wrote the worst issue of G.I.Joe ever, ddp : 21 where Ss choose to stay good but only for a little while, and Billy was shot but surivived

10. Booted Jerwa, mid story, leaving tons of dangling plot threads, and hires in a new guy who won't touch most of those plot threads.

Mmmm... do i really need to keep going?

i could write 2 pages on the lj death alone, "To make flint different than duke" pfft, hello? duke was becoming the spook, and Flint was the good ole boy, they were being characterized diferently.

Hmm, Major Bludd detained and cuffed but not searched so he had a remote detonator in his gloves.

Scarlett and SE being captured and having C4 in the mouth and det cord in the hair... right.

SE getting whacked in the skull with a cinder block and not even having so much as a cuncussion.

Still no explanation for Cobra Island's metamorphosis.

The Bat arc... any explanation at all?

Why was Jinx dressed as a Dominatrix?

G.I. Joe goes from a covert military unit to being taught in school... yeah, I can see the military allowing their covert units to be taught to grade schoolers.

Greenshirts? Guess 400+ G.I. Joe personalities weren't enough.

Daemon and Firewall? Two kids being placed on an advanced military unit as computer gurus while ignoring characters like Mainframe, Dial Tone, Flash (until they decided to kill him), Grunt, HiTech, Hard Drive...

Destro, one of the most honorable character in the G.I. Joe universe has this bastard child out of wedlock and turns his back on him?

Did that nanite story to start off the comic make ANY sense?

How about Zartan's bizarre new skin disease? Any resolution there?

All of these flash in the pan, here today, gone tomorrow, "dangerous new villains that will rock the G.I. Joe universe" who never do a damn thing and once there gone leave even more dangling plots and plot holes...

Oh, and I'm still annoyed with his "we won't go ninja crazy" promise that turned out to be complete horsepucky. You'd think G.I. Joe was a ninja cult instead of a military unit with all the pajama clad freaks running around in it.

I could go on but I won't. I don't think people necessarily liked Blaylock's writing when the comic first started. They just liked having the comic. Once they saw through the gloss of "Joe is back, yay!" they began to notice the faults that others saw from the start but got shouted down by the "Joe is back, be happy" crowd.

yeah, advertising that Blaylock is back doesn't not make me excited to get the book AT ALL.

Cmdr: Blaylock was at the DD roundtable on Sunday morning when most of the people were gone. He was conspicuously absent from Saturday's round table.

I've heard several complaints about Blaylock through the whole run. I think I fell into the category of being excited just because we had a Joe book again. But after going back and rereading the first 25 issues back to back to back I was scratching my head at a lot of stuff.

Blaylock loves Joe, and I don't fault him for that. I think that any of us would jump at the chance to do our own GI Joe comic book. I think the cartoon references were trying to appease both crowds and I think he did the best he could... unfortunately more people than not seem to think the best he could ended up stinking pretty bad. I'm not defending him by any means, I for one am in the category of "Josh, your stories suck and you're ruining Joe comics. Stick to financing and CEO, but stay out of plot development."

Hama would let things build over time, and take his time with plot points. Blaylock, once something was done, that was it. Why did the joes have to run all over Chicago to get the super bat? We don't know. It was never brought up again.

Jerwa was better in my opinion, but so many of the comic readers had put the book down, fed up with things Josh had done that by the time Jerwa took over, it was too late. And don't get me started on his Red Shadows nonsense that he was so excited about.

I'd also have to strongly disagree with the comment about Chuck Dixon. I for one was about to throw down reloaded once and for all, very disappointed in what it had become. I decided to give it one more issue, and that was Dixon's first issue. I was actually disappointed reloaded didn't continue BECAUSE of his writing. I looked forward to reading his stuff.

I know a lot of people may and will disagree with what I've got to say and that's fine. I for one would be happy if DD lost the license and someone else got it. In my joe verse and the dio that Fianna and I are writing, Blaylock's universe NEVER existed.

I wouldn't be surprised if ultimately the Joe comic goes bye bye. Look at all the other series DD has had that have disappeared.

Faults of blaylock:

1: Greenshirts. I'm sorry this is the comic, NOT THE TOON.

2: Daemon and Firewall, poor cheap characters i didn't care for till jerwa's frontline arc.

3: Beachead stinking, and other poor cartoon references, Hector remerz is fine, but Jinx having bad luck? and beachhead stinking?

4. Se ditching scarlet at the alter, this was Josh's idea.

5.Heavy duty's unneccasry replacement joke

6. The whole bat arc never went anywhere. The super bats weren't used by cobra or coil, it was just a run around the city and blow stuff up story that caused to many question and no answers

7. Told larry Hama what to write for frontline, it stunk, got a lot of people not wanting Hama's return, hurt the sales of frontline which dropped off insanely after that arc, and ultimately saw to it the Orginal joe writer had nothing to do with ddp.

8.Ordered almost all of the Kills in Jerwa's run, including Lj.

9. wrote the worst issue of G.I.Joe ever, ddp : 21 where Ss choose to stay good but only for a little while, and Billy was shot but surivived

10. Booted Jerwa, mid story, leaving tons of dangling plot threads, and hires in a new guy who won't touch most of those plot threads.

Mmmm... do i really need to keep going?

i could write 2 pages on the lj death alone, "To make flint different than duke" pfft, hello? duke was becoming the spook, and Flint was the good ole boy, they were being characterized diferently.

1. I liked the greenshirts. I liked the idea that they could become future codenamed Joes! These guys gotta come from somewhere. And Hama wrote a story about recruitment and training and people falling out featuring Budo, Repeater ,and Lightfoot.

2. They were ok. Whats wrong with new blood? We still got to see TONS of our fav Joes and not at the expense of these 2.

3. I liked how Josh tried to blend both Joe canons. Some of us grew up on the cartoons (me). Some of ya grew up on the comics.

4. Sweet, I hate Scarlett

5. A funny poke at Hasbro and a wink to us who hated HD take over of Roadblocks place in the toys.

6. I agree on this. It was a fun story but didn't go anywhere other than hint at the Coil and bring back Firefly!

7. I agree, that Frontline arc sucked. It focused on the characters I hate (except Hawk). Though Hama hangs out with DDP at the shows? Was he there this year? He hung out with em in Orlando when we heard this same story.

8. Soldiers die. I really miss Lady Jaye Mainframe and Flash. Hopefully the Crimson Twins didn't die!

9. I hated the original silent issue. Granted I didn't enjoy much of the Marvel run to begin with. Too much focus on SE and Scarlett, and Storm Shadow. This was cool, as while I prefer Tommy as Cobra, it hinted at his retrun to sanity from all those years of abuse at the hands of CC Brainwave scanner!

10. I agree on this but GI Joe needed to get noticed on the market again. The number were not there. They brought in a high profile writer and a great artist. An artist everyone seems to hate but everyone LOVED during M&A 1 (which was why he was hired).