Wow.. Embarassed To Tell Friends About Tfs...

Littlebigman

Opinions are insubstantial, unless you make them your own. Be yourself, free expression is a right, not a handicap. If a close friend doesn't appreciate your tastes - dislikes and likes - then I'd rethink who my "close" friends really are.

I personally have no problem sharing TFs with my friends because my one friend is a big ML/DCD & comic collector (former Beast Wars collector) and my other friend openly supported and invested in my efforts (its why I have a Brave Max among other things :) ). Of course, my social efforts are limited to those two guys. But in the end, that's why its also good to post on a board full of people who share your passions! :)

Im proud of my collections. I always show them off to everbody that comes over. Megatron is usually the first one Ill grab and transform into a gun. Point it at them and say "Dont f... with my Transformers"

I hate people that say that... They are just ignorant and don't have anything else better to do because they don't have their own hobby.

@loll@ @loll@ @loll@ its funny cause its true!! @loll@ @loll@ @loll@

dude, I'm 28 and everyone I work with knows I like TF's and collect the toys...they can also tell by my desktop background  :P  everyone knows, (like chris tucker) I dont give a F---------k.  If someone is too affraid to be open minded than they are the ones with the serious problem  ;)

Check my office out:

P0000273.jpg

61456825221_468.jpg61456910725_468.jpg

Do you think I care whut people say about me? NO, plus I'm the youngest employee since 1997, & they pick on me more about my age than whut I collect, so it doesnt' even bother me, but my mother is different....

She made me realize last Saturday morning that I have a problem.

Instead of spending my money on beer & cigarettes, I spend it on toys, a bunch of em. I dont' just buy Trmers, I also buy ML's & SW's & HWheels. When I showed my mother last weeked everything I had, instead of complimenting me, she scolded me for wasting money on toys instead of my family.... NOW THAT IS HURTFUL.... so after she left, to make myself feel beter, I borrowed(stole) my wife's credit card & got online & ordered 5 more ML's :rolleyes:

Instead of spending my money on beer & cigarettes, I spend it on toys, a bunch of em.  I dont' just buy Trmers, I also buy ML's & SW's & HWheels.  When I showed my mother last weeked everything I had, instead of complimenting me, she scolded me for wasting money on toys instead of my family.... NOW THAT IS HURTFUL.... so after she left, to make myself feel beter, I borrowed(stole) my wife's credit card & got online & ordered 5 more ML's  :rolleyes:

Hey OB1Killa,

Actually talked to Jayce about starting a forum for those of us who need support from other collectors who show signs of the dark side (ie. massive spending). Like any hobby, when done moderately, it's fine but once you get to the stage of it being obsessive and when friends and family start to intervene and let you know it's a problem, that's when you need to seek help.

I started collecting a long time ago but I used to do it ocassionaly every few years or so. Lately, I admit that it's becoming compulsive. In the past month 1/2, I spent probably several thousand dollars on toys and my room is just full of bins (to my wife's chagrin). I probably have to invest on another storage room to have built on my backyard, just for what I've bought.

But the negative sign is when it starts to affect your life. As mentioned on my earlier post, I had to cancel a planned meeting in NYC because of my addiction. I wake up on weekends at 6:00 a.m. for the past month because the adrenaline tells me to go to Wal-Mart early in the morning. And if I don't get things situated, I'm going to miss my trips to Seattle and Boston as well. And I'm sure my wife is not too happy that for her birthday, I just bought her a dozen roses while I bought myself 7 or 8 Transformer Alternators, several hundred on Star Wars, DC Direct and Marvel Legends toys. Personally, I feel quite terrible for that.

The advice of people on here is great and sure, don't let people get to you by telling what you do is childish and not cool but if friends, family and love ones start noticing a problem that is similar to an addiction, acknowledging the problem is important. Especially if it starts to affect the people that you care about.

kndy

Don't hide man. Proudly tell the world you like TFs and toys.

I walk around college sometimes with TF, Marvel, DC or TMNT t-shirts, big deal. My friends know I like this stuff, and they are ok with it.

Instead of spending my money on beer & cigarettes, I spend it on toys, a bunch of em.  I dont' just buy Trmers, I also buy ML's & SW's & HWheels.  When I showed my mother last weeked everything I had, instead of complimenting me, she scolded me for wasting money on toys instead of my family.... NOW THAT IS HURTFUL.... so after she left, to make myself feel beter, I borrowed(stole) my wife's credit card & got online & ordered 5 more ML's  :rolleyes:

Hey OB1Killa,

Actually talked to Jayce about starting a forum for those of us who need support from other collectors who show signs of the dark side (ie. massive spending). Like any hobby, when done moderately, it's fine but once you get to the stage of it being obsessive and when friends and family start to intervene and let you know it's a problem, that's when you need to seek help.

I started collecting a long time ago but I used to do it ocassionaly every few years or so. Lately, I admit that it's becoming compulsive. In the past month 1/2, I spent probably several thousand dollars on toys and my room is just full of bins (to my wife's chagrin). I probably have to invest on another storage room to have built on my backyard, just for what I've bought.

But the negative sign is when it starts to affect your life. As mentioned on my earlier post, I had to cancel a planned meeting in NYC because of my addiction. I wake up on weekends at 6:00 a.m. for the past month because the adrenaline tells me to go to Wal-Mart early in the morning. And if I don't get things situated, I'm going to miss my trips to Seattle and Boston as well. And I'm sure my wife is not too happy that for her birthday, I just bought her a dozen roses while I bought myself 7 or 8 Transformer Alternators, several hundred on Star Wars, DC Direct and Marvel Legends toys. Personally, I feel quite terrible for that.

The advice of people on here is great and sure, don't let people get to you by telling what you do is childish and not cool but if friends, family and love ones start noticing a problem that is similar to an addiction, acknowledging the problem is important. Especially if it starts to affect the people that you care about.

kndy

Your right, it's getting to be a problem.... last nite I bought 2 more figs & didnt' tell the wife.....:( So is there an Collectoranonymous around here? :P

I do take my lady out to eat & buy her gifts here & there, so she is cool with it, but my mother & brother are getting on my last nerve.... so I will have to stop once again for a while & see how much i'm actually spending...dam.

My parents and siblings don't know. If they did, I think I would be in your same situation. My brother being a financial planner would get on my nerves that I could have put more into my retirement and invest more and he's right.

My main problem is that if I buy something in a series, I have to buy everything in the series. Most people can control themselves and buy the figures that look cool and that they really want.

I know if I start on the Cybertron Transformers, knowing me, it would be very bad and I would buy everything and not sure how much stuff is out there now but I know it would be several hundred bucks being spent on the regular, deluxe and the larger figures.

I limited my spending on Transformers Alternators but I'm itching for that Optimus Prime but my compulsive habit would not end with Optimus. So, that's why I haven't bought him.

But I know your position, there's quite a few of us on here who are in the same boat. There's a mentality that there were so many things we wish we could have gotten when we were younger and now as adults, we can get what we want, especially if you have the money (or don't have the money but credit cards).

kndy

Well he might be the type of friend who has to rag on everything. A few of my college friends are like that (I'm 27 now). We'll tease each other about stupid things and then move on.

They are largely ignorant about TFs, but saw BM Jetstorm in my room once and said "An original Decepticon, quick, smash it and destroy its Ebay value!" LOL

So far they haven't actually mocked me or called me a baby or anything for collecting.

Personally I am proud to be a geek and be different, but I dont shove it down people's throats. I do hide them when people come over, not because I am ashamed, but people always want to play with them and end up breaking them!

**EDIT**

I agree with what KNDY said. Its very easy to let this hobby get the best of you. Last week I bought the GI Joe Heavy Assault and Crimson Shadows as soon as I saw them when I could have waited. 2 days later I wandered into a KB and spotted Energon Galvatron for $25. Thats $65 in one week on toys. I also had to buy gas and breakfast/lunch that week, and found myself coming up short. I had to charge my gas and realized I have to limit myself.

I'm no completist, I only have 4 Cybertron figures so far. I've decided to limit myself to no more then $20 a week on toys, $10 or $0 if I can help it.

Well he might be the type of friend who has to rag on everything. A few of my college friends are like that (I'm 27 now). We'll tease each other about stupid things and then move on.

They are largely ignorant about TFs, but saw BM Jetstorm in my room once and said "An original Decepticon, quick, smash it and destroy its Ebay value!" LOL

So far they haven't actually mocked me or called me a baby or anything for collecting.

Personally I am proud to be a geek and be different, but I dont shove it down people's throats. I do hide them when people come over, not because I am ashamed, but people always want to play with them and end up breaking them!

Haha im the same. My friend *the one who said that* is sleeping over tomrrow, and I gotta clear out my drawyers of all my Tfs. Especially my Soundwave :P

I dont care that they know im a geek, but just that they know i collect TFs.

Ok, 2 of my friends collect. I started collecting before them, Not TFs but gijoe and star wars and other stuff.

So both of my friends saw my collection and were getting into it. And now both of them are collectors.

Anyways, you'll be suprised man, some chicks think collecting is cute @wink@

So don't be afraid to talk about it

Ok, 2 of my friends collect. I started collecting before them, Not TFs but gijoe and star wars and other stuff.

So both of my friends saw my collection and were getting into it. And now both of them are collectors.

You mean dragqueens chicks? :P

You mean dragqueens chicks? :P

Actually, I've known girls of status that would make my most guys drool who find collecting "toys"(in general), to be rather "cute". In fact, one of my ex-gf's found picked up my Cybertron TF's for me....she even went so far as to find out at the local Walmart as to when the new shipment would be put up. She loved "how passionate I was about the hobby".

Don't let people get you down LBM. You're young, teenagers are fickle, just wait until college when how you define yourself in life really comes into play.

Every now and then it kinda bothers me or makes me think twice about being 31 years old (soon 32) and still buying toys, like I'm too old to be doing it. And even as a kid I used to see myself more as a collector than someone who played with their toys. Now don't get me wrong; I'm not so arrogant or self-serving as to say I never played with toys. Quite the opposite. Good grief...my W.H.A.L.E. hovercraft and Skystriker both were lost to backyard battles, never to be seen again. (sob) But when it came to my figures or Transformers, I mainly just liked to pose them and look at them. And I was so very anal with my toys as I grew older; I wanted them mint and I didn't want ANYBODY to touch them. (My brothers really didn't like me for that at times...) (lol)

And yeah, I went through that "I'm in high school now and therefore way too cool to be messin' around with toys" phase. And looking back that attitude cost be many great opportunities to get some cool stuff when it was still at retail. But here I am, like I said, almost fourteen years later, and I'm almost certain I have more toys now than when I was a kid!!

So considering how I was growing up, the transition from kid collector to adult collector was an effortless one. But from time to time I do question myself, especially when I walk into the room at my in-laws' where I am currently storing all of my stuff still MOC/MISB in totes and banker's boxes. And please don't think I'm trying to brag here, 'cause I've seen some collections here on the boards and my collection pales in comparison, but...sometimes I walk into that room and see all of that stuff stacked up and I just shake my head and worry about what I'm doing with it all and how much money I've spent over the years. Yeah, it's a small room, and yeah, it all adds up when you have collected stuff over the past ten years, but sometimes I'm almost overwhelmed by all the toys I have. I could open up a store!! (lol)

But then I remember how much fun it is for me, how it all reminds me of a simpler, more innocent time in my life, and how it reminds me of great times with friends and family...it's just fun. Toys are fun. They're fun to hold and look at. They're fun to display. It's fun to find stuff, to hunt for it and research old toys you've forgotten about. And also in alot of ways I feel like it keeps me young at heart, and I think it's healthy when you can enjoy something like that. It's a great escape when you're neck deep in the stress of everyday life; it's a form of escapism and that can only be good for you, just as long as it doesn't consume you and your responsibilities and drive away those around you.

Now of course I've had to learn to narrow my interests down, number one for the sake of my own sanity, and number two-I can't afford everything I want. If I tried to collect everything I liked out there, I'd be in serious financial trouble right now. (lol) But since getting married a few years back and becoming "responsible" (My wife would laugh at that description...) (lol), I've also learned to collect on a budget. Now I'm sure I can afford more than some and not as much as others, but since I've learned to stick to a budget and narrow my collecting down to just what I like the most, my hobby has become manageable in every way. I'm not spending crazy amounts (maybe forty bucks a paycheck every two weeks), and I'm not driving myself crazy trying to own every toy and its variant.

But like kndy said, as long as it's not affecting your responsibilities or those around you in a negative way, knock yourself out. And as far as what other people think about how appropriate my collecting toys is for my age...bah! I don't really care what others think. It's my money, my life, my perrogative. Besides, I know men much older than I am that collect toys. And not that it matters, but I think it's frowned less and less upon these days for some reason. You see many celebrities who collect toys nowdays, and all of a sudden it's cool to collect action figures seemingly. Hey...everybody has some kind of hobby that allows for a release and an escape. Over the years I've thought of my dad; he was always so selfless. He bought things for us all, yet he never seemed to really get anything for himself, except for maybe an occaisional stack of comic books from time to time (when they used to be cheap that is). And me, always wanting to be like him, I used to hold myself up to that image and think I shouldn't collect stuff like I do, that I should be selfless like him and get rid of it all in anticipation of being a father myself perhaps someday; I shouldn't buy this stuff for myself. I should just worry about my kids and not own toys I wouldn't let them play with. They'll resent me!! I should be like my dad and do and spend for others and not myself. But I got to thinking, and I remembered that my dad was an avid hunter/fisherman. Now anyone who knows anything about hunting and fishing knows that it isn't cheap as far as hobbies go; the prices for the various required hunting and fishing licenses alone can add up real fast, not to mention all the gear, the clothing, the guns/bows and arrows/fishing rods and reels...and my dad did that. That was his hobby. And if anything he spent a fortune over the years doing that. Now he would let us use his stuff from time to time, but he didn't really want any of it messed with. And so I just setteled on the fact that hunting/fishing was his hobby, and so collecting was mine. It's all in what you enjoy doing and spending your disposeable income on. Everybody's got something the blow their money on for kicks. For us it just happens to be toys. No big deal. (Good grief I'm long-winded today! (lol) Sorry guys...)

I too have been hazed about collecting figures.Back in 1986 in Florida some kid gave me a little grief about me like GI Joe.I said screw him.What does he know.I think people collect toys.Be it Star Wars,GI Joe,Transformer.It's all cool.I like what I like.Look at uber collector Steve Sansweet.He was probaly hazed a great deal.