Next Year's Convention???

CaptainGridIron

Viper Hunter.....to answer your question, the Minnesota's Con was bigger than SF, but smaller than Disney. Makes sense obviously..... However, the Minn con had the largest ratio between 3.75" and 12" folks. The small joe collectors ruled the con......and some 12" collectors seemed bitter over it.

I don't know the full story, but the word is that the Joe con is suffering as a result of the logistics (and some difficulties) with setting up the Botcon in a short time span since Fun Pub's purchase of it.

People in the know keep telling me Norfolk, Norfolk, Norfolk. Cool by me! The CFB knows I'll be there.....with my ultra-rare Brazilian variant of El Taranchula!! :D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Viper Hunter.....to answer your question, the Minnesota's Con was bigger than SF, but smaller than Disney. Makes sense obviously..... However, the Minn con had the largest ratio between 3.75" and 12" folks.

Thanks! :)

I don't know the full story, but the word is that the Joe con is suffering as a result of the logistics (and some difficulties) with setting up the Botcon in a short time span since Fun Pub's purchase of it. People in the know keep telling me Norfolk, Norfolk, Norfolk.  Cool by me!  The CFB knows I'll be there.....with my ultra-rare Brazilian variant of El Taranchula!! :D

Norfolk would be excellent and much more DOABLE for me! ^_^

I actually have to say that Norfolk would be a crappy idea to me.

I'm from Northern Virginia and I've been down to the Norfolk/Hampton/Newport News area quite often and it is not exactly the best place to be.Norfolk does have its share of bad neighborhood areas that just don't look very "friendly" and the military stuff like the docks and the VA air and space museum is okay,but not stellar.

If they're going to come to the Virginia area,I think they should just go with DC.There's air bases around there for tours/dinner, plus it's our nation's capital...it would certainly draw more people there because they would want to see DC as well.I can tell you it would draw better than Norfolk.

Baltimore isn't a bad idea either.

Considering how MC appears to be taking a long time to make this decision,I am going to go on a limb and say that it will be a "popular" city.One that certainly can appeal to people not only because it may have one of two other attractions,but because it has plenty more.And like the concensus,I'm sure it'll surely be east coast.After the Minnesota Con,and the Cali Con two years ago,MC did get a push from Orlando.But they do need to recoup some bling-bling and be more careful about their decision.

I'm from Northern Virginia and I've been down to the Norfolk/Hampton/Newport News area quite often and it is not exactly the best place to be.Norfolk does have its share of bad neighborhood areas that just don't look very "friendly" and the military stuff like the docks and the VA air and space museum is okay,but not stellar.

If they're going to come to the Virginia area,I think they should just go with DC.There's air bases around there for tours/dinner, plus it's our nation's capital...it would certainly draw more people there because they would want to see DC as well.I can tell you it would draw better than Norfolk.

Considering how MC appears to be taking a long time to make this decision,I am going to go on a limb and say that it will be a "popular" city.One that certainly can appeal to people not only because it may have one of two other attractions,but because it has plenty more.And like the concensus,I'm sure it'll surely be east coast.After the Minnesota Con,and the Cali Con two years ago,MC did get a push from Orlando.But they do need to recoup some bling-bling and be more careful about their decision.

Just to let you know, the con has been to Norfolk and it was one of the better attended conventions, especially the walk ups, and the location has been requested alot.

There are a couple of factors into the length of time. and it really is not taking longer then it has before really. One that Brian said at the convention and right after was they were nagotiating with two hotels and were trying to get one to commite to the time. Then it sounded like the one they wanted fell through so they had to go back and start over. Also they have Bot-Con to worry about.

And the top two rumors I keep hearing are Nashville and Norfolk. I would not mind either one of those.

Michael Richards

Bulletman Big B

All Hail DOB!!

Just to let you know, the con has been to Norfolk and it was one of the better attended conventions, especially the walk ups, and the location has been requested alot.

There are a couple of factors into the length of time. and it really is not taking longer then it has before really. One that Brian said at the convention and right after was they were nagotiating with two hotels and were trying to get one to commite to the time. Then it sounded like the one they wanted fell through so they had to go back and start over. Also they have Bot-Con to worry about.

And the top two rumors I keep hearing are Nashville and Norfolk. I would not mind either one of those.

Michael Richards

Bulletman Big B

All Hail DOB!!

Interesting about Nashville I had not heard of that one till now. I hope that soon we find out since the newsletter should be getting posting posted soon. Also there the newsletter is supposed to talk about the clubs new sets too.

As for putting both cons together to save money, it is a wise decision to save money but in the long run can effect future enrollment into the club as well as attendence. I sure hope Brain and his team know what they are doing and try as hard as possible to keep the cons seperate. As there more transformers fans than gijoe? I think maybe the club will work for a while and since the movie is coming out this will help too. As for gijoe I think that the fans can continue to support the club "IF IT REMAINS SEPERATE FROM THE BOTCON". I guess only time will tell.

Ive been going since 2000 and id say SF had the lowest draw. At times that dealers room had tumble weeds blowing by. Kansas was the worst as far as 3 3/4, boy did I ever feel alone at that con. I think there were like 3 tables of 3 3/4, those guys sure got to know me...lol. Also the 12" collectors as a whole have been jerks at the con to the little joe collectors for along time. I think its rather funny to see them get their collective panties in a bind when things go south for them. Personally I like both scales, and im sure 12" will come back eventually.

I dont see botcon and Joecon ever becoming one. You think 12" and 3 3/4 collectors get pissy with each other, that could get ugly. Funny, but ugly, talk about a geek fight.

I also want to go to a SDCC some year. It looks like a blast, but money is always an issue. Besides its so packed it might be a bit of a bummer. Ive been to all three star wars cons and let me tell you, 50,000 sweaty collectors in jedi costumes walking around is not a whole lot of fun. SDCC is even bigger then that, a bit intimidating. Joecon is more about meeting up with everybody and having fun, not to much stress at joecon.

I'd have to agree with Card (Side note: Card, respond to my pm!) that they won't merge the cons. It will be a logistical nightmare and probably kill both cons. I wasn't disappointed with this years con at all.

I think we'll hear next year's locale soon, some people will be glad, some people will bash people will still go and the cycle will start all over again. We'll anticipate the con set, start to hear and discuss rumours, see the advanced pics, those who love it will cheer, those who hate it will damn Brian and his children's children's children and before you know it, it will be con time again.

And the CFB will live happily ever after.

And not all 12" collectors are jerks. I met several who were incredibly nice and even talked about wanting to do more stuff with the 3 3/4" collectors.

Maybe they are focusing their efforts on Botcon?

Jeez guys, show SOME patience!

Amen, and I agree 100% with Adroq, some pople will be happy others will be sad and the cycle will go on and on. But CFB will always live happy ever after :D

I thought that con was a blast and really enjoyed hanging out with everyone> i am sure that we will hear something soon

@loll@

You do realize the group you're speaking to and the hobby of which we all belong? ;)

That's all well and good, but THEY'RE the ones that said they'd announce the location in 2-3 weeks. If they're focusing on Botcon, bully for them. Is it that hard to hop on the website and say something as simple as, "We're still working on the location, we'll announce when we have something further."

God forbid we wonder what's going on with the convention. :rolleyes:

they also thought they'd have it all wrapped up within that two to three week time span.

Yeah, I agree they could have put a "still working on it" message on the site, probably swamped though between trying to get NEXT years joe con together as well as THIS years bot con (coming up in a few weeks.) From what I hear the T-former collectors are bitchier and more prissy than we joe collectors are! They aren't happy about anything. I wouldn't want to be in Brian's shoes and frankly am willing to cut a little slack that we haven't heard where next year is yet.