Crimson Shadow Guard.........

KENNY GUIDO

I really like this set and love it even more now that I got their weapons replaced thanks to John. The ninja weapons were a bad idea IMO but I guess they had a lot of ninja weapons over from the ninja set they put out last year.

i went out today to try and find the heavy assult squad thinking i would get it and pass on the shadow gaurd, when i got to TRU man the shelves were jammed packed with the shadow gaurd! like 2 1/2 pegs worth they still had some greenshirt packs on another peg and 3 heavy assult squads ended up passing on the H.A.S pack (3 greenshirts unchanged from the greenshirt pack? why?) and picking up the shadow gaurd, 1 is enough of these i think for me! im going to use them as suggested on here befor as cobra internal police unit a death squad so to speak, the guys who stand in back of the battle to shoot any cobras who retreat befor it's ordered!

TM

I really like this set and love it even more now that I got their weapons replaced thanks to John. The ninja weapons were a bad idea IMO but I guess they had a lot of ninja weapons over from the ninja set they put out last year.

yes, the ninja weapans make it very weak as well.

I really like this set and love it even more now that I got their weapons replaced thanks to John.  The ninja weapons were a bad idea IMO but I guess they had a lot of ninja weapons over from the ninja set they put out last year.

yes, the ninja weapans make it very weak as well.

Yeah but I cannot complain since the set was reasonable with the cg's and all. It sucks about the weapons but the set over all if awesome.

WHAT? THE CRIMSON SHADOW GUARD IS OUT?! THIS IS THE FIRST I'VE HEARD ABOUT THEM!!! @smilepunch@

Seriously, I found them this weekend. Pretty good pack for how freaking lazy a concept it was. I mean, the paint ops are almost all the same, the gold braids (damn, what are those called) on the chest are different shade, maybe. And they got black hair. All the black parts on the previous CG's paint ops are unpainted, meaning Hasbro saved some money. As if the lack of figure stands and the one lousy ninja weapon (plus Dusty 91 pack I'm frakking sick of) per figure didn't telll you that! I guess we should be glad they were "generous" enough to include the helmets!

But I like them.

For some reason their blister packaging is thicker than the HAS, is that so Hasbro can ship more of the POS...er....HAS packs per case?

I intend to paint unibrows on two of them for my custom Cobra Oasis Team part of Operation: Champagne Super Nova.

The only thing that dissappoints me about this set is the lack of figure stands. I'm tapped out as it is already. From what I've seen, though, I'm pretty excited about getting home and opening this set up. So what they got ninja weapons. It's not like years from now we're going to be fighting to get a '100% complete' version of these guys. I'm sure most of us are not hurting for weapons. And honestly, I don't see the Guard as being the type to really be worried about weapons. They are in a dress uniform after all. And if you're buying CGs for their weapons, I think you missed the point. And I think these being identical is just a nod to the Joe history. This shouldn't have been much of a surprise. The last CG set had all identical CGs. Doesn't matter to me because you'll hardly ever see mine without their helmets anyway.

Well if they are Crimson Guards then they are supposed to all look the same. Thats the whole concept behind Crimson Guards.

Thats something I never quite understood: fund a major surgical program make all your 3rd Column agents look the same?

errrrrm.... why?

I mean surely that means that they're just really easy to spot. ;)

Thats something I never quite understood: fund a major surgical program make all your 3rd Column agents look the same?

I always thought it was stupid, too. Their filecards always say that they're out in the open, doing government, law, and other business. Why in God's name would you want them all to look the same? It'd be a dead giveaway...

hasbro biting off of lucas!

That's ##$%$#ed. As if Lucas came up with the concept of clones. Give me a break... besides, the whole "CG's looking alike" thing was around before the prequels.

I agree the idea of them all looking the same is dumb, but I think the point in the comic book was that if one got killed they replaced him with another and no one could tell the difference.

As for biting off of lucas, well the comics that started this Crimson Guard look alike storyline came out mid to late 80s. And Lucas didnt reveal the "clone troopers" Until like 2000 something. So whatever.

Phanstar

I agree the idea of them all looking the same is dumb, but I think the point in the comic book was that if one got killed they replaced him with another and no one could tell the difference.

As for biting off of lucas, well the comics that started this Crimson Guard look alike storyline came out mid to late 80s. And Lucas didnt reveal the "clone troopers" Until like 2000 something. So whatever.

Phanstar

Yeah, as far as them looking the same, it had to do with the different 'series' of CGs. And they wouldn't all be easy to spot because I'm sure the intent was for them to work throughout the world. The identical part was like Phanstar said, if one died in battle, one could easily step in and take his place in the real world.

As far as the Lucas clone thing, I'm pretty sure the clones were mentioned when he wrote the BOOKS back in the 70s. Just because we didn't see his clone army in theaters until 2000 something, doesn't mean he didn't have the idea.

All that being said, I doubt that Hasbro stole that idea. The idea of a clone army is very different from the identical series of the CGs. The CGs had much different reasons for being identical. The SW clones were identical because they were cloned from one guy, and had no choice but to be the same. And they were made from one highly trained dude. The CGs are simpy modeled after a single guy. Their training was obviously varied from one to another. So the idea that they ripped off Lucas was pretty silly.

I thought there was a Fred series and there were other series of Guardsmen. I mean as soon as Wade Collins quit Cobra, the Joes would probably know about the whole enchilada. And there goes the Fred series.

I thought the phrase was "5th column", too

I thought there was a Fred series and there were other series of Guardsmen.

That's what the basic idea is. I don't know why people continue to think that every single guy in a red suit looks the same when that's obviously not true (hello female Crimson Guards & Professor Appel). The Fred CGs are part of the Fred Series of guardsmen and that's as far as that went. One group made to look alike. It was never stated nor insinuated that every single siegie looks the same but people still think they all have red hair and look the same.

The Shadow Guard is just Hasbro being lazy. That's it. That little blurb on the back is a cop out to gloss over their lack of effort on the set.

As far as the Lucas clone thing, I'm pretty sure the clones were mentioned when he wrote the BOOKS back in the 70s. Just because we didn't see his clone army in theaters until 2000 something, doesn't mean he didn't have the idea.

not to turn this into a SW debate, but there are no Star Wars books that Lucas wrote in the 70's. all he did was write several versions of the original Star Wars film, some of which encompassed larger ideas of the Jedi and Sith, but nothing that compared to the ideas that became the prequels. it wasn't until AFTER Star Wars was a hit that he began to develop the whole story. heck, one of the greatest misnomers about Star Wars is that when it was first released it was originally entitled Ep. IV A NEW HOPE, which isn't true. he added that to the scroll after it became a hit and was signed to do a sequel.

I always thought it was stupid, too. Their filecards always say that they're out in the open, doing government, law, and other business. Why in God's name would you want them all to look the same? It'd be a dead giveaway...

hasbro biting off of lucas!

That's ##$%$#ed. As if Lucas came up with the concept of clones. Give me a break... besides, the whole "CG's looking alike" thing was around before the prequels.

Lucas came up with the whole "clone" thing in his universe in 77. again, HASBRO biting off Lucas.

I dont believe the Crimson Guard was even a thought in anyone's mind back in 77.

As far as the Lucas clone thing, I'm pretty sure the clones were mentioned when he wrote the BOOKS back in the 70s.  Just because we didn't see his clone army in theaters until 2000 something, doesn't mean he didn't have the idea. 

not to turn this into a SW debate, but there are no Star Wars books that Lucas wrote in the 70's. all he did was write several versions of the original Star Wars film, some of which encompassed larger ideas of the Jedi and Sith, but nothing that compared to the ideas that became the prequels. it wasn't until AFTER Star Wars was a hit that he began to develop the whole story. heck, one of the greatest misnomers about Star Wars is that when it was first released it was originally entitled Ep. IV A NEW HOPE, which isn't true. he added that to the scroll after it became a hit and was signed to do a sequel.

that split second that "clone wars" was mentioned in STAR WARS 25 years ago gave way for the clone story.

that split second that "clone wars" was mentioned in STAR WARS 25 years ago gave way for the clone story.

Yeah I remember seeing Star Wars back when I was younger and thinking, what the hell are the Clone Wars? Of course then I thought the idea had something to do with cloned jedis and such fighting each other all over the galaxy, not a stupid army of cloned bounty hunters.

As far as the Lucas clone thing, I'm pretty sure the clones were mentioned when he wrote the BOOKS back in the 70s.  Just because we didn't see his clone army in theaters until 2000 something, doesn't mean he didn't have the idea. 

Like I said before, CGs aren't clones. They are all different people that have had plastic surgery to look alike. So, no one is biting off Lucas.

Lucas didn't invent clones in science fiction, so...does it really matter?

I wondered why the "Clone War(s)" wasn't called the Galactic Civil War, since it was much more of a large scale civil war than the one in the original trilogy? Guess Yoda's name for it stuck....

Like I said before, CGs aren't clones. They are all different people that have had plastic surgery to look alike. So, no one is biting off Lucas.

I never said CG'S were clones, either. someone else said the "SHADOW CG's" were clones.