Bands You're Always Hated

HPZ

Even though people might not admit it, or even realize it, but I think one of the biggest things that turns people off a band like Metallica is just getting TOO popular. A lot of metal fans seem to pride themselves on the fact that their favorite bands aren't bigtime mainstream groups so once they become big hits they are no longer seen as being "a good band" simply because it's not cool for some people to like what's considered popular.

Another thing people always throw up is the term "sell outs." Just because a group tries to expand it's horizons beyond what is acceptable for the hardcore fans doesn't mean that they're sell outs! If Metallica kept playing the exact same style of music as their first 4 albums then in all likelyhood they would have gone the way of most of the other 80's bands....which is into complete obscurity.

Agreed

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked no doubt, but very much dislike Stefani now.

Yeah, I have no problems with no doubt.

But whatever is on her solo cd surely isn't music.

I liked no doubt, but very much dislike Stefani now.

Yeah, I have no problems with no doubt.

But whatever is on her solo cd surely isn't music.

Oh yeah! I couldn't agree more. I can't even call her crap music anymore it's just that bad.

Another that I can't believe that I didn't say before is Eminem, MAN I hate that annoying little prick!

Slipknot - I still like their first disc. It was a brand of Nu-Metal that was a bit more "extreme". Their second disc, tried to hard to be a grindcore/deathcore band but failed. Their recent disc: commercial metal at its worse. With the exception of a one song, the disc is a total disappointment.

That's funny. The only one I actually have is Vol. 3 Subliminal Verses. Which I think is extrememely well made. I won't make any final decisions on things I only know about from 30 sec clips, but I think Iowa might be my favorite of the three, and the first one my least. It sounds extrememly repetetive. All the same song over and over with different choruses.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with you on Disturbed and Metallica.

Even though people might not admit it, or even realize it, but I think one of the biggest things that turns people off a band like Metallica is just getting TOO popular. A lot of metal fans seem to pride themselves on the fact that their favorite bands aren't bigtime mainstream groups so once they become big hits they are no longer seen as being "a good band" simply because it's not cool for some people to like what's considered popular.

Now I will say that Load and Re-Load did have some crappy songs, but at the same time they also have a bunch of songs that would be considered classics if they were on any of their earlier albums.

Another thing people always throw up is the term "sell outs." Just because a group tries to expand it's horizons beyond what is acceptable for the hardcore fans doesn't mean that they're sell outs! If Metallica kept playing the exact same style of music as their first 4 albums then in all likelyhood they would have gone the way of most of the other 80's bands....which is into complete obscurity.

In the history of rock there are very few bands who have been around as long as Metallica has that haven't changed their sound over time which met with big backlashes from their hardcore fans. Just because some people don't like their more recent works shouldn't change the way they felt about the bands music that they DID like. It's fine if someone doesn't like their newer stuff but they should at least respect all that they've accomplished, especially in the genre of heavy metal which has struggled to gain much noteworthy attention for so long compared to other genre's of music.

Bravo! Its nice to see theres other people out there who agree with me on this whole "sellout" thing.

Also it seems like most of you are complaining about different bands images and fans (or at least what you assume their fans are like), I stand by my belief that the only way a band or artist should be judged is by their music, not how many big venues they play, how popular they are with kids or how much makeup they wear.

Limp Bizkit, Coldplay, Led Zep (although they're starting to grow on me, Willie Nelson, The Killers, the hives, the whatever the f-s that came out like those last two I just mentioned oh man there's so many.

It's Evanescence guys and they ain't that bad...

Its all a matter of taste really. Thats why there are all these different genres.

I don't like these:

- Maroon 5

- Finger 11

- Simple Plan

- Bif Naked

There are more...

Evanescence~~~~~~~~~~

I loved this band~ Not sure why the hatred but I'm ok with that. Nobody's perfect.

As for Linkin Park. They dont seem bad. I just listen to one of their songs. ANd that's NUMB.Not sure about their others songs though

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Slipknot - I still like their first disc.  It was a brand of Nu-Metal that was a bit more "extreme".  Their second disc, tried to hard to be a grindcore/deathcore band but failed.  Their recent disc: commercial metal at its worse.  With the exception of a one song, the disc is a total disappointment.

That's funny. The only one I actually have is Vol. 3 Subliminal Verses. Which I think is extrememely well made. I won't make any final decisions on things I only know about from 30 sec clips, but I think Iowa might be my favorite of the three, and the first one my least. It sounds extrememly repetetive. All the same song over and over with different choruses.

Wait and Bleed, Eyeless, [sIC], Surfacing, Spit it Out all make anything by Stone Sour and new Slipknot sound like N'sync. If you've never heard these tracks, you haven't heard the real Slipknot.

Metallica - bunch a washed up old farts

Green Day - I used to like them, but their last cd seems to suck even more I hear it

Nickleback

Creed

System of a Down - dont get me started

Korn - although I do think their video for Twisted Transistor is funny

Staind

311 - I saw them in concert 3 times...wasnt impressed...Three strikes, YOU OUT!

Slayer

Pantera

Velvet Revolver - I love the musicians from GNR, but Weiland sucks

Slipknot - I still like their first disc.  It was a brand of Nu-Metal that was a bit more "extreme".  Their second disc, tried to hard to be a grindcore/deathcore band but failed.  Their recent disc: commercial metal at its worse.  With the exception of a one song, the disc is a total disappointment.

Wait and Bleed, Eyeless, [sIC], Surfacing, Spit it Out all make anything by Stone Sour and new Slipknot sound like N'sync. If you've never heard these tracks, you haven't heard the real Slipknot.

I think my favorite is Iowa. I like the origional stuff, but it just doesn't flow as well for me. But Vol. 3 does sound a bit tamer to me now.

I'm adding Fallout Boy.

Too lazy to go back and see if I put this band in but I hate TOOL and APC too.

And speaking of TOOL, I just heard of this band called 10 Years and I almost killed myself. #Granade#

Whiny, Maynard vocals make me want to #hang@ myself.

[rant] And one other thing, I recently bought Need for Speed: Most Wanted and I almost returned it because Disturbed has a track on there @grumpy@ . But then I found out I could adjust the tracks listing and I was :D . So in place of Disturbed, I put Mastadon instead.[/rant]