Responsible Liquidation

Sgt. Rocco

Howdy, gang.

I'm at my parents house right now, and I can't believe how many boxes of GI Joe (80s and new sculpts), classis SW, and comic books I've packed into my old room and the basement. It looks like the warehouse at the end of "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

I'm thinking of selling off a great deal of this. I don't need to grab cash though, so I'd like to do it in a manner that is the most lucrative possible. I'd also rather sell to serious collectors for karmic reasons. (Sort of like giving your puppy to a family with a nice farm.)

So, can you tell me how to go about it? Piece by piece on e-bay? Table at a show? Craigslist? Lot on e-bay? Do I package them with their weapons and cards, or do I sell all that seperately?

And on a slightly off-topic topic, how about comics? Where do I get an appraisal? Do I sell them to a shop? E-bay? Is it a bad time to sell comics?

Like I said, I'm willing to take my time to make the most scratch and to give my sweet collections the respect they deserve, but I'm drowning in paper and plastic and I don't ever get a chance to play with it.

Not stopping collecting, just pruning,

Sgt. Rocco

(Oh, and I won't start for a few months, so I'm not asking folks if they're looking to buy anything right now.)

Start with a list of what you have available, condition and completeness.

Figures should always have all their equipment. Those sell better, especially if they have rare parts (like Lift-Ticket's microphone). I saw a complete Heavy Metal sell for $104 (not that something like that happens all the time, of course).

Vehicles don't necessarily have to have drivers with them as sometimes the drivers sell better on their own, but it wouldn't hurt.

You might try asking the different online shops how much they would pay you for them.

Depending on what you have available, you would do better selling them either as singles (Falcon, rare vehicle drivers, etc.) or in small groups of 10 or less. Army builders look like they go pretty well in groups of 4.

Comics, I can't really say. I stopped collecting a long time ago when the only comic shop in town closed and I've never had any intentions of selling mine.

Of course, you could always start here. If nobody's here is interested in buying (which I would be surprised), we could at the least give more definitive information.

Oh, and if your still going to be collecting, you might consider trades too.

I'd start here for your "karmic reasons"

it'd make you feel good, cause most of us are die hard collectors and would take good care of them puppies...

if you ahve any incomplete figures, I'd go with putting them in one big lot and putting them on ebay(after you tried to get rid of them here of course ;) ).. oh an remember, you'll have to do it in the "what I have to trade" section, so you dont get in trouble... but post a copy of the link in your signature, so we know about it ;)

good luck and keep us posted.

-joe

I would go E-bay. ALthough I want to help out fellow collectors, I've been screwed in little ways (Not enough to raise a racket) on trade pages in the past. At least ebay provides the feedback system that stays with the buyer.

Here is what you do....Sell me all your new Sculpt Troop builderds and Classic SW figures for as cheap as possiable and then sell the rest on Ebay!

Sounds like a plan....BREAK!

I'm kinda in the same boat that you are. I already went through and categorized what I have and made a listing and pricing for it, then through it up in the trade section to give everyone here first crack. Now, as I have time, I can slowly throw it up on ebay as I get to it.