Editorial From Corey @ Smalljoes.com

firestongue

I'm with Jeff.  I don't see any point in his "editorial".

Then you are not looking hard. Corey is very passionate about his Joe and has been long before SmallJoes. Plain and simple Corey loves the stuff and wanted to speak his mind. He chose to do it in his e-mail instead of here like we do.

I really don't get why some poeple just want to rain on him. :rolleyes:

Draven

what does the guys passion or character have anything to do with the fact his editorial was pointless??? and why does the fact that some of us feel that way and pointed it out in this dicussion mean we are raining down on him????

Some of us could argue that your wanting to express your opinion of Corey's message (on his own Smalljoes website mind you) as being "pointless"......is kinda pointless?

How have you been adversely affected by it? Did you have a moment there, where you almost thought you'd order something you didn't really want, because his message got you so fired up and "excited to be a Joe fan" that you wanted to show your support, but you snapped out of it and resented the fact, he tried to brainwash you with his message (on his own website)..?

@lol@

As far as defending his "passion or character"...that comes from the assertions here, that he's JUST a businessman, trying to make an extra buck or two, by getting firestongue to post a copy of his message HERE, so he won't look like he's spamming the boards, looking for free advertising. <_<

That's it in a nutshell, and some of us are just reminding folks, that he's a G.I.Joe fan FIRST...businessman SECOND!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then you are not looking hard. Corey is very passionate about his Joe and has been long before SmallJoes. Plain and simple Corey loves the stuff and wanted to speak his mind. He chose to do it in his e-mail instead of here like we do.

Draven

what does the guys passion or character have anything to do with the fact his editorial was pointless??? and why does the fact that some of us feel that way and pointed it out in this dicussion mean we are raining down on him????

Some of us could argue that your wanting to express your opinion of Corey's message (on his own Smalljoes website mind you) as being "pointless"......is kinda pointless?

How have you been adversely affected by it? Did you have a moment there, where you almost thought you'd order something you didn't really want, because his message got you so fired up and "excited to be a Joe fan" that you wanted to show your support, but you snapped out of it and resented the fact, he tried to brainwash you with his message (on his own website)..?

@lol@

As far as defending his "passion or character"...that comes from the assertions here, that he's JUST a businessman, trying to make an extra buck or two, by getting firestongue to post a copy of his message HERE, so he won't look like he's spamming the boards, looking for free advertising. <_>

That's it in a nutshell, and some of us are just reminding folks, that he's a G.I.Joe fan FIRST...businessman SECOND!

Thank you VH! Some poeple just don't get it and I don't think I can write a more clear post than I already have on the matter. Corey is a fan first and for most, point blank.

Draven

My point is being able to see WHAT is not selling is not the same thing as WHY it is not selling.

I dont know how they did it back in the day, but now days I think they come to boards like this one and view our comments. I have heard on more than one occasion how Hasbro reps do view these boards for such info.

Exactly. The difference now is that Hasbro isn't being dictated too, as to what/how the products should be done, by Walmart or other retailers. It should be closer to what the fans/collectors want as it is supposed to be geared towards us.

All I'm suggesting is that we (and I think this may have been suggested before) make a suggestions thread on what we, the collectors/fans/consumers want.

Constructive criticism. As in my example before about Major Barrage, if the figure doesn't sell, Hasbro doesn't know WHY it doesn't sell, just that it doesn't sell. If well tell them what we want with regards to Major Barrage, the figure WILL sell and that is exactly what Hasbro wants. The want to know how to turn a bad or non-seller into a money maker.

Another good example might be Mutt. I'm sure there are people who didn't buy him because he doesn't come with a mustache and/or a helmet. If we let Hasbro know that's what we want for the Mutt figure, maybe they will make the changes and Mutt will sell better.

I think we have a little bit of time before the HAS comes out, we should tell them what we want from a "Heavy Weapons Squad" and it ISN'T a ninja, a dog handler, a fighter pilot and some newbies.

I think we have a little bit of time before the HAS comes out, we should tell them what we want from a "Heavy Weapons Squad" and it ISN'T a ninja, a dog handler, a fighter pilot and some newbies.

I'd definitely pick the cardart figures over more Greenshirts. As long as they're in good colors, that is.

Forgive me for just skimming this last page or so but I have no way to get online on the weekends, so I had a lot of catching up to do. Anyways. I dont think that editorial or anyone else is saying you should just buy all of everything regardless of quality or personal likes just because your a joe fan and its your duty. All that anyone is saying is that there has been a lot of ups and downs in GI Joe collecting over the past 10 years, and right now is an up. A very big UP. For years there have been tons of complaints and questions. Why cant it be done this way??? Well a lot of the problems have been pressure from retailers and attempts to appeal to kids. Well all that is gone right now. The equation is different. There is Hasbro making toys, NOT because they love them, but because its a business and they want money. And there are collectors buying toys. What kids like doesnt matter. What wal mart says, doesnt matter. Its a very healthy relationship for us as collectors. Will there still be figures you dont like? Yes. Will there still be things about the toys you disagree with? YES. It will never be perfect. GI Joe collectors are a large and diverse group. But this is as good as it gets for the collector, Now lets hope its equally as good for Hasbro. So this one on one relationship can continue.

Phanstar

All I'm suggesting is that we (and I think this may have been suggested before) make a suggestions thread on what we, the collectors/fans/consumers want.

Here you go: HasbroToyShop.com Suggestion Box

Forgive me for just skimming this last page or so but I have no way to get online on the weekends, so I had a lot of catching up to do. Anyways. I dont think that editorial or anyone else is saying you should just buy all of everything regardless of quality or personal likes just because your a joe fan and its your duty. All that anyone is saying is that there has been a lot of ups and downs in GI Joe collecting over the past 10 years, and right now is an up. A very big UP. For years there have been tons of complaints and questions. Why cant it be done this way??? Well a lot of the problems have been pressure from retailers and attempts to appeal to kids. Well all that is gone right now. The equation is different. There is Hasbro making toys, NOT because they love them, but because its a business and they want money. And there are collectors buying toys. What kids like doesnt matter. What wal mart says, doesnt matter. Its a very healthy relationship for us as collectors. Will there still be figures you dont like? Yes. Will there still be things about the toys you disagree with? YES. It will never be perfect. GI Joe collectors are a large and diverse group. But this is as good as it gets for the collector, Now lets hope its equally as good for Hasbro. So this one on one relationship can continue.

Phanstar

Well said!

Draven

• 2 weeks later...

A few comments about this thread as I only recently noticed it:

(1) I don't care if folks buy DTC product from SMALLJOES or somewhere else. Just buy it. Like many other collectors, I want to see this product around for awhile but it won't be unless we support it. Instead of buying 30 Crimson Guards, how about 29 Crimson Guards and a Major Barrage.? Know what I mean? Will it kill ya to get at least ONE of each? This stuff is about as good as it is ever going to get, by my reckoning.

(2) There is no gorilla marketing going on here with respect to my editorial. I was using the soapbox of my newsletter to accomplish a few things: express my excitement over the DTC product line, prod some people a little about their buying habits, and make a few points about the unusual and possibly tenuous nature of this marketing excercise by Hasbro. I don't have anyone in the community reposting my newsletters. I sometimes post them myself (such as on USENET) or they are posted on sites that I pay for advertising on (Yo Joe!, RTM, etc.). I suppose there will always be conspiracy theorists out there looking for the nefarious in everything, and I cannot help you with your problem. Consider counseling.

(3) Someone griped about the prices on a few of the figures I sell. Those prices are there to balance inventory, not to gouge. I know yall's buying habits, I am no fool, and will not have my inventory raped of certain popular items at a detriment to my business. ;) Buy the complete sets and you get a great deal! I WANT to sell you a complete set at a fair price. I don't really care about selling you the latest hip figure, at a high price, that everyone else on the boards are going ga-ga over and thus someone feels they need to buy 12 and resell them on the eBay. I went over all of this a few months ago so I will not rehash it.

(4) Hasbro and their hiatus talk - not fond of Hasbro's little games. I don't know whether this was an exercise in stupidity, secrecy, confusion, or all of the above. Even Inside Sales knew all about this DTC stuff and were not telling their wholesale customers. Why?! Anyone who assumed the 3 3/4" line was cancelled in light of the Sigma Six introduction could REASONABLY assume that in light of past history. This DTC / HasbroToyShop.Com exercise is, historically, a very unusual move for Hasbro although I applaud them for taking this step and giving their brands an option to end-run around lowest-common-denominator mass-market retailers. Hopefully it works out for them.

Well frankly I think for this line to survive Hasbro is gonna have to put some more effort in advertising and promoting it. If they think showing of some stuff once a year at a convention and making some occasional updates on their website is gonna do it they are crazy. They do nothing for advertising, they dont try and work with websites like this one to help promote it, in fact they seem to try and work against us, they just expect word of mouth to pass around from one message board to another will do it and im here to tell you it wont.

(3) Someone griped about the prices on a few of the figures I sell. Those prices are there to balance inventory, not to gouge. I know yall's buying habits, I am no fool, and will not have my inventory raped of certain popular items at a detriment to my business. ;)

I'd be surprised if you didn't do this considering the assortment they put out.

(3) Someone griped about the prices on a few of the figures I sell.  Those prices are there to balance inventory, not to gouge.  I know yall's buying habits, I am no fool, and will not have my inventory raped of certain popular items at a detriment to my business. ;)

I'd be surprised if you didn't do this considering the assortment they put out.

Exactly. Case assortments not at all optimized to collector interest compounds the problem. It's like being hit with a double-whammie. Or, even worse, a rotten 2-pack gets packed into not one but two case assortments! (I call that the triple-whammie!!)

Any retailer that markets to the collector but fails to take this into account will end up with a warehouse full of Kamakura w/ motorcyle packs and will thus have cash tied up in worthless inventory, unable to make investments in future product to sell.

However, the first DTC assortment was pretty well balanced so they're on the right track.

Draven

@lol@

As far as defending his "passion or character"...that comes from the assertions here, that he's JUST a businessman, trying to make an extra buck or two, by getting firestongue to post a copy of his message HERE, so he won't look like he's spamming the boards, looking for free advertising. <_<

Nah man, Corey had nothing to do with me posting that here, other than the fact that he wrote it.

I saw the editorial/email in my mailbox and thought it was great, a great perspective from a FAN who happens to have a great website selling joes, so I posted it. If nothing else, it was to have more discussion fodder, which has obviously succeeded lol.

Other than buying the occasional 100 or 200 figure stands and some funskool figures, I have no interaction with Corey.

He even said it himself a few posts ago, and I agree: it doesnt matter where you buy the figures from, just buy them!

And JayC is SO RIGHT! If hasbro doesnt find a way to market and advertize these, I do not see how they will make it.

I mean, normally in a months time I would have bought SEVERAL Joe products. Since hasbrotoyshop.com started selling these, Ive made 1 order, mostly because I had been saving for Wizard World Chicago, but still--the impulse buying you get when going to a store is priceless to a company's profit line. Sure I THINK about ordering almost daily, but then I hold back again because I know Ill end up spending about 50 bucks easily.

THe good thing about these being in stores is I can limit myself to 2 or 3 items and its easier on the wallet.

I definantly plan to order more in the coming weeks, but hasbro is going to have to get some ads out there!

Anyone know if they advertize on tv or anything, i.e. with the upcoming SIgma 6 line/cartoon?

.......well, i usually don't get involved with the bickering on the site,,,,[though, i love to read it!]....just thought i'd throw my 2 cents in.....so....i work hard all day and come home checking the site...joe collecting is a nice escape from construction work. like V.H. i grew up with the 12" dudes and had great times. with many memories....unfortunately, i let my mom sell all my stuff at a tag sale for 20.00......[dont' want to talk about it]....didn't come into the 3 3/4" collecting till my 30's.

now i have a "mature appreciation" i guess you could call it...i feel confident enough to hear everyones opinion, try to relate where it's coming from and still make my own decisions....i have enough figures to be happy, though i woudn't mind more,,,especially "dream figures"...as if i'm at a board meeting with hasbro and they're asking me what i would like!.......aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

i guess, basically what i'm sayin is, i'll buy what i want if i see it, and even if it's only close, cause i want the production to keep going. but i won't support what i consider "lazy" or "crap"....and since it's my hard earned money....only i can be the judge.........so bring it on hasbro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.......well, i usually don't get involved with the bickering on the site,,,,[though, i love to read it!]....just thought i'd throw my 2 cents in.....so....i work hard all day and come home checking the site...joe collecting is a nice escape from construction work. like V.H. i grew up with the 12" dudes and had great times. with many memories....unfortunately, i let my mom sell all my stuff at a tag sale for 20.00......[dont' want to talk about it]....didn't come into the 3 3/4" collecting till my 30's.

now i have a "mature appreciation" i guess you could call it...i feel confident enough to hear everyones opinion, try to relate where it's coming from and still make my own decisions....i have enough figures to be happy, though i woudn't mind more,,,especially "dream figures"...as if i'm at a board meeting with hasbro and they're asking me what i would like!.......aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

i guess, basically what i'm sayin is, i'll buy what i want if i see it, and even if it's only close, cause i want the production to keep going. but i won't support what i consider "lazy" or "crap"....and since it's my hard earned money....only i can be the judge.........so bring it on hasbro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

true, true.

so now do you collect 3 3/4 stuff or are you still getting the 12" Joes?

.........i gave up on the 12" guys....if i could get 'mine' back i definately would...at least i have the memories...now it's all 3 3/4"........i guess i have about 200 or so figures...also a 100 or so s.wars too.