Editorial From Corey @ Smalljoes.com

firestongue

I got this in the mail a little while ago. Its a great little editorial by Corey from www.smalljoes.com and he makes a lot of sense. I definantly agree about the 1st quarter of 2006 bit, so we need to make sure we 'keep the line alive'.

Check it out...

EDITORIAL - DTC GI JOE PRODUCT

==============================

by Corey Stinson

Owner - SMALLJOES.COM

Back in February the bad news was dropped on us - the GI JOE 3 3/4" line

was being put on "hiatus", which most people understood to mean "canceled".

Little did we know that last minute adjustments and new plans were

flying around at Hasbro about the true future of 3 3/4" GI JOE product.

Jump ahead to present - Hasbro is now marketing 3 3/4" GI JOE product

in a direct-to-consumer model. Mass retailers have been bypassed, which

(at least in some respects) will allow Hasbro more design latitude toward

actual product presentation, packaging, quality, and price point. As a

result of this new latitude we are now seeing the GI JOE product that this

writer has personally be waiting for since 1994. New product of the

highest collector-oriented quality! Awesome new figures with great

sculpts, great concepts full of nostalgia value, and loads of accessories

and gear that actually go with the figure, rather than just being something

thrown in the package as "added value." The most interesting new GI JOE

vehicles ever designed are coming your way this fall.

At this year's GI JOE convention we were treated to a display of yet more

upcoming product and the quality is staggering. I can find simply nothing

to complain about. My GI JOE 2005 convention diary, including many high

resolution pictures of upcoming GI JOE product, can be found here:

http://smalljoes.com/features/conv2005

So, where am I going with this? Speaking purely as a collector - trying

to avoid sounding sanctimonious, or coming from a point of conflict of

interest - this is a golden moment for GI JOE 3 3/4" collectors. The

product we've all been asking for and dreaming about for so long is here.

Because of the direct-to-consumer marketing model and the collector-

oriented nature of these offerings, it is now up to _us_ to show Hasbro

that we as a consumer base can support a product line of this nature.

This is a new marketing strategy for Hasbro, and they are going out on

the proverbial limb with these offerings.

Much of this product was probably designed and tooled in the fourth quarter

of 2004, before the direct-to-consumer marketing approach was conceived.

In fact, it's likely that most of this new product was probably intended

for the line that would follow-up Valor vs. Venom. Apparently, mass

retailers weren't on board with GI JOE any more, and we're fortunate to

have an opportunity to buy the product under this new paradigm. I mention

this because it was easier for Hasbro to justify this collector-focused

marketing experiment when much of the product was already designed and

tooled (read: significant develop expensese already incurred). However,

at some point (probably 1st quarter of 2006) Hasbro will have to decide

if we, the collector consumer base, can financially support ongoing

development of totally new product of this caliber.

At the risk of being repetitive - this is an important time for the

collector, a time to show Hasbro that when offered high quality,

collector-oriented GI JOE 3 3/4" product, that we will put our money

where our mouth is and actually buy it, rather than pick and choose

only certain items, only army build to try to impress friends, and complain

relentlessly on the discussion boards about minutia.

We have some of the best new GI JOE 3 3/4" product ever conceived coming

our way now through the end of 2005. Are we ready to kick our collective,

collecting support of 3 3/4" GI JOE into high gear, or will we have a

laissez-faire attitude toward it? What happens in 2006 and beyond is

entirely up to us. Thanks for reading.

Regards,

Corey

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Thanks for reading, and we hope you'll stop by and check out the site

soon.

Regards,

SMALLJOES.COM Staff

http://smalljoes.com

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats how I have felt from day one about this. I was shocked so many people were upset about the on-line status of the 3 3/4 line. I think this is perfect. Its everything we ever wanted. The only way it could get better then this would be if all the sudden a Hills opened around the corner from me, and stocked a wave of 30+ joes just like the old days. Sadly I am not in a financial position to buy as much of this product as I would like. But I will certainly be buying a case for each wave and most of the comic 3 packs. Hopefully I will find the cash for some army builder 6 packs and a couple of vehicles, because it really does look like these vehicles are awesome. But yeah this is great news for GI Joe. I hope everyone realizes how good it is to be a Joe collector right now.

Phanstar

Guest A-MAN

I'll take the laissez-faire approach, and continue to complain about minutia in Hasbro's paradigm. It makes me feel embiggened. @smilepunch@

Of course the owner of an online store who makes almost all its money catering to 3 3/4" GI JOE fans would want everyone to support the DTC product. Duh.

I wouldn't say the highest level of collector quality because of Hasro's re-use of the big ugly plastic shoulder rivets, but still otherwise he's right. Hasbro is playing it safe though because of their use of the plastic rivets instead of making more in the wave 7 style.

Well I do agree that he is right about one thing. It is safe for us to assume MOST of the product we are recieving right now, was intended for a retail release, and the next few waves will be way more representative of things made specifically for the DTC market. Im sure some last minute changes were made to the current product to help support the DTC line such as retro packaging and stuff....

Phanstar

I agree with everything he said.

I can't find one thing to complain about.

He's right in the sense that we need to support the line ourselves. But that still doesn't mean I'm going to buy repaints of sculpts I don't like (looking at you, green Spirit) just because. I'll be getting as much as I can but I can't afford large vehicles like the ROCC.

I just hope Hasbro doesn't overestimate the size of the online collector base and expect sales levels more than we can actually provide. I'm not sure we've seen pricepoints yet for the Rhino and ROCC vehicles. Its interesting that they had two vehicles in those sizes at one point intended for retail when we've seen larger vehicles not do so well in years past.

But overall, I'm happy with what we have gotten and what is coming. I just want a lot more larger Cobra product that is of the same quality as the upcoming HISS looks to be. In the past, we've averaged one Cobra bravo to three Joe bravo vehicles. But Cobra did seem to be getting control of the alpha-class new items.

+-MWG-+

accepting paypal would be very sweet, but its not really economical for hasbro to do so. Since first off they already have their own service for accepting credit cards, and secondly when you deal in high volume paypal requires you have a business account and then takes a hefty percentage of every transaction you recieve. They've been nailing me with it everytime since I had a high selling month on ebay. From my last 49 dollar payment I recieved they took 1.72 total for themselves. Thats not a lot, but it would add up to BIG TIME losses for Hasbro over time and the amount of transactions they would be doing.

Best bet is just get a debit card. You can use it just like a credit card online usually.

Phanstar

I think they look really good. The packaging is a big change for the better but the prices leave some to be desired. Escpecially now that Hasbro doesn't have to pay any overhead for a retail outlet. I just think those saving should be passed down to us.

minutia.

wasnt that a spanish boy band from the 80's????

however i do agree with him! somewhat, this DTC product being collector quaility is debatable, however i wasnt buying VvV style figures when they were in stores and i wont now just because i dont like em! if the six packs get better i'll buy those, but thats it! the majority of collectors it seems love this stuff so they'll buy it! if i had tons of money i would buy alot of it for toy's for tots or something! still may make a purchase befor the holidays to do that!

but dont get me wrong...i like corey though i think he's a good guy! and he always does what he feels is best for the hobby and i admire the sh@t out of that! in fact i saw him at the the KC convention only i was affraid to talk to him cause to me then he was "IT" in gijoe collecting! i tend to stammer a bit with people i dont know and i didnt want "THE GIJOE Collector!" to think i was a complete Dork! so sent my wife over to buy a funschool storm shadow from him! i have no confidence! :(

TM

A-Man, just because he benefits from it doesn't mean he doesn't have a valid point.

Hasbro is working on getting a system set up to receive checks as mentioned at the roundtable.

The pricepoint for the ROCC is somewhere between 40-44 dollars, the RHINO is looking to be aroud 30-32 based on the pre-order listing at BBTS.

Wraith

Im not sure what you mean by "overhead" for a retailer. There is no overhead for a retailer. Basically the way I understand it, is in those days, Hasbro sold the product to the store. And the store sold the product to us at a marked up price. I'm sure Hasbro would be more than happy to sell the joes to you at the price they charged wal mart or target, if you would be willing to buy as many of them as wal mart or target. I'd bet if you called them up and said you'd like 10,000 cases of wave 1, that they will work you out a deal. :) But since they arent selling that kind of volume anymore, well then prices have to be a little more. But if you think about it they arent much more. I ordered my wave 1 case for 40.68 shipped. So that comes out to basically like 5.09 a figure. A 2 pack at target was 6.99, so 7.41 after tax here in kentucky. So thats 3.71 a figure. So you are paying an extra 1.39 per figure. But for that extra 1.39 you are getting SO MUCH MORE. You are getting Single carded figures, with ORIGINAL card art. How many times have you bought a two pack just to get the one figure you wanted? I know I ended up giving out mirage and big ben figures as halloween treats I had so many of them!! So now you only have to pay for the figure you want. The figures come delivered directly to you door! Seems to me like my extra buck fourty is buying me an aweful lot!

Phanstar

I think they look really good. The packaging is a big change for the better but the prices leave some to be desired. Escpecially now that Hasbro doesn't have to pay any overhead for a retail outlet. I just think those saving should be passed down to us.

while the ratail outlet cost is removed, remember that the DTC stuff is getting smaller production runs than VVV and JVC waves did, thats going to increase the production cost per figure, (the higher the production run, the lower the cost per unit) so theres not likely to be a net saving there.

DTC stuff is getting smaller production runs than VVV and JVC

Which that right there makes it worth paying more for anyways. Smaller production runs mean more after market demand, which means more valuable figures. Now dont get me wrong, Im no scalper and I dont plan to sell my figures. But seriously, As a collector its always cool when something you have is really sought after or valuable. So these waves of figures are going to be far less common later down the road than the previous retail waves. Thus making them more "collectible" woo hoo lol.

Phanstar

I will support it as long as they make stuff I like. This first wave was a real hit for me and I supported it fully. I liked all the single card figures and I got multiples of the CG and Mediviper (and will proabably order more come payday). The the comic 3 packs were good but I am not crazy about RAH repaints. I already have 3 Hummers (2 jungle and 1 Desert) so I am still undecided on the Night Ops humvee. But Over all the first wave was a big hit for me!

The second wave looks to be a bit less stellar to me. I will be picking up Barrel Roll, Major Bludd and (proabably) Footloose, But I am skipping Salvo, the Range Vipers, and the Snow Serpents. I would totally get the SS if they were painted like the ones that came with Frostbite back in VvV but I am a freak about all my soilders matching so I am skipping them too.

I also like the upcoming comic 3 packs. I will be using the Dreadnocks' head for customs and I love that Scarlet so I will proabably get those aswell.

The new Vehicles also look good and plan to get them too.

So I guess I take that back. The second wave also looks good. I will be spending a bit more on this wave than the last.

So all of that was to say if Hasbro makes stuff i like, I will support DTC. If they make make crap I won't... but so far so good!

Whatever personal interests he may have as a business owner aside, I think he's spot on in his assessment of our stake in the DTC line and what it means to the future of G.I. Joe. Over the last four years since the relaunch, we've collectively complained and lobbied Hasbro about so many things, and I think the DTC figures are coming as close to our wish list as we've yet seen. Just look at DTC waves 1 and 2. They've got:

- single carded figures with character specific artwork

- individualized weapons

- no neon colors

- no sound attack, action attack or T-Crotches

- army builders

- no rehashes of Duke, Snake Eyes, etc.

- redesigns of fan-favorite characters (Mutt, Spirit, Crimson Guard, Scrap Iron, Footloose, Major Bludd, Salvo) - they may not be perfect, but we've finally seen them

All that having been said, if you still don't like them then that's your thing. If you only buy RAH figures, than that's your thing. Personally I really like the first wave of DTC figures and can't wait for the second. I think we really have gotten so much of what we've been asking for, and it is time to put our money where our mouth has been for so long.

I've been very happy with what I've gotten so far from them. I wish I wasn't so spent from the con or I would be buying a lot more Crimson Guards. Although I'm hoping that these will continue to be readily available for the next month or so and I do plan to recover from this financial low within the next few weeks.

As for support. I have supported Hasbro every step of the way since they brought Joe back to retail. Even stuff I wasn't necessarily happy with is sitting in my Joe room unopened and stashed away just in case I fall in love with it one day in the future. I learned my lesson well with the TRU 97 packs.

Im not sure what you mean by "overhead" for a retailer. There is no overhead for a retailer. Basically the way I understand it, is in those days, Hasbro sold the product to the store. And the store sold the product to us at a marked up price. I'm sure Hasbro would be more than happy to sell the Joes to you at the price they charged wal mart or target, if you would be willing to buy as many of them as wal mart or target. I'd bet if you called them up and said you'd like 10,000 cases of wave 1, that they will work you out a deal.

I personally agree but don't agree on this. Yes I feel that the price is "fair" to a point, but what you have to consider is what these companies actually charge the retailer. I work in upper management for a retail company and I can assure you that our Vendors make no less than 40 points on the product they sell us. That's 40% less than what it costs us. You can't look at what Wal-Mart sold it for, you have to think about what Wal-Mart bought it for. On top of that the Retailer wants to make 30 or 40 points as well.

Do the math. $6.99 a pack,

(let's be conservative here, Wal-Mart at 30 points) they buy it for $4.09

Now 40 points for Hasbro and that's $2.46

So imagine now, Hasbro doesn't need sales people, maintenance people, Rent, water, electricity (except of course for the one building that houses the technical staff that keeps the computers running) which would still be minimal compared to one retail store. It would be like Sony records selling CD's out of the back of a truck for $14.99 while we all know it only costs them $1.28 to make it from Artist cost, to Studio to production. Would people stand for that?

Again, I'm just playing devils advocate here because I do this stuff everyday at work and I understand both sides.

Do the math. $6.99 a pack,

(let's be conservative here, Wal-Mart at 30 points) they buy it for $4.09

Now 40 points for Hasbro and that's $2.46

Ok ill be honest, Im not sure I understand your point. But still the point remains. For a 1.40 more a figure than what you paid at target, you are getting original snazzy card art, and character specific accessories, delivered to your door.

Factor that in with the fact that in order to get as many crimson guards as you want you dont have to pay 7.40 a pop and get stuck with 20 gung hos, and I think its well worth the extra dollar and some change.

Phanstar

But that still doesn't mean I'm going to buy repaints of sculpts I don't like (looking at you, green Spirit) just because.

the green spirit is an all new sculpt, not a repaint. now when the comic version is released, that will be the repaint. the first version to come out is the original version, and when that same mold is rereleased with a new paint scheme, that is a repaint. so you are actually against buying the comic pack Spirit, not this one.

But that still doesn't mean I'm going to buy repaints of sculpts I don't like (looking at you, green Spirit) just because.

the green spirit is an all new sculpt, not a repaint. now when the comic version is released, that will be the repaint. the first version to come out is the original version, and when that same mold is rereleased with a new paint scheme, that is a repaint. so you are actually against buying the comic pack Spirit, not this one.

I can see the Green Spirit as the repaint. Technically i know it is the original and the comic pack one will be the repaint but the first we heard of this mold was the DD comic pack so naturally when you think of the first version you think of the first time you saw/heard of it. I know when i get the comic pack version, the Green one will find its way into the extras bin in my closet.

Interesting essay and some interesting points, but I don't care if they say they'll cancel the line if every collector doesn't buy one of everything, I'm not spending money on something I don't like just to keep toys that I don't like in production. It's not my responsibility to keep Hasbro's G.I. Joe team employed.

I'm a 95% ARAH collector and other than the related items that they're making (which I will get), the only new figure I have even a passing interest in is Major Barrage, and that's more because he's a new character than anything else.