What Kind Of Clearances Went On In 1994?

thoughtcrime

For those of you who were still actively collecting back in '94, what kind of clearances did you encounter (if any) when the line ended? Did you encounter bins & bins full of Robo-Joes marked down to 12 cents per?

Since the internet wasn't as widely used as it is today, how did you find out the line was cancelled? Did you just stop finding new Joes after a while?

I started college in fall '95 and there was a mini-mall down the road with a fairly well-stocked KB. I wasn't into toys then, so I only went in looking at model kits. I dont think I even glanced at the action figure aisle. I imagine I must have missed the tail end of some great clearance on Joes and G2 TFs (sigh).

I never knew it was cancled till it was gone. They just lingered on the pegs for a long time and then finally Wal-Mart took the pegs down and no new product ever returned. We only had Wal-Mart at the time so that was pretty much all I had to go by.

I think I figured it out when all I could find were Street Fighter figures. I couldn't even find any Star Brigade figures.

Then my parents asked someone at KB what was going on, and they said the line had ended. All they had was Ninja Force figures, and even then I wasn't keen on them.

great questions thoughtcrime!

I wish there were more clearance sales going on now. Looks like target is the only one.

Some walmarts may have them eventually, but the only walmart I know of that has any joes now only has the crappy VVV wave (2 i think?)

The cancellation was all the buzz at the 1st International Collector's Convention aboard the Intrepid Museum in NYC... I was there.. I almost cried.

So I knew the end was coming, and through Cotswald Collectibles (one of the few Joe-stores at that time), I was aware of the 10,000 piece limit on the Lunartix Aliens and the last three Star Brigade figures, plus the Power aFighters, and the Blockbuster vehicle..

Sadly, I never saw anything but the Blockbuster in stores... and dud lines like the Shadow Ninjas languished well into 1996 when GIJoe Extreme washed over the former Joe section

i dont really remember, well where i was in my TRU the Battle corps figures. boy do like that line the battle corps anyways i remember my parents and i were shopping stuff for my yet to be my baby sister so my dad and i went to the joes section and there i saw Backblast,Barricade, some ninja storm stuff like SE, bushido and the mudbuster or blockbuster don't remember which one and the Crimson Guard Commander my dad bought me CGC,SE,Barricade and Bushido.

Actually there was not big clearence sale. They just kind of fadded away. The prices were not like this line anway because they did not cost as much then. Usually you could find them at both Target and Wal Mart in their clearence sections.

Hehe thanks firestongue.

Its a shame they just faded away. I guess history repeats itself, they're doing the same thing (at retail) now.

True. BUt at least hasbro didnt totally ream us like Mattel did with dropping the MOTU line.

I am so very pleased with how hasbro has treated its customers. Mattel can go to Hades as far as I care! @firedevil@

meijers has a nice clearance going on too. I got two single card tele vipers for 1.80 a piece. They had two of the wave 7 viper/gung ho packs for like 5.88 or something like that. I passed on them. I dont want that gung ho at all. And its not worth 12 bucks for 2 vipers for me. I'd rather save the twelve bucks and either buy two more DTC CGs or use it towards another Night Watch 6 pack.

Phanstar

man, I stopped buying Joes around 1990. A few years later I started buying X-Men figures (bought Strong Guy) and I remember seeing Shadow Ninja SE and SS on the shelf at K-Mart and passing.

A few years later when I officially started collecting toys, I was reading Toyfare magazine and they had a preview of the 97 Joes!! I was excited. I wanted that Lady Jaye and Stars and Stripes set soooo bad. Then when I finally saw the product at TRU, I passed again. I wanted a green Lady Jaye...and teh S&S set sucked beyond belief!

Flash forward to 2000 when DD printed GI Joe #1. I had Joe fever, which has yet to cool down. I started buying on Ebay like crazy!!! Now I am really close to having everything!!!!

i don't remember how the line went out for me, exactly, but i definitely know it didn't go with a bang. for a long while, all i had found were the shadow ninjas subline, and then one day i saw a new gi joe logo sitting on the shelf; too bad it was extreme.

the one thing i do remember, though, was that big lots seemed to carry a seemingly never-ending supply of battle corps after the line was cancled. there was a store near my grandmother's house, and every friday my mom and her would go shopping. i'd tag along knowing that they'd eventually get to big lots, or at least the arbor that was next to it. i'd run in, find some joes, and be happy. to their credit, they kept restocking for a while after the line was cancled. i don't know how they got ahold of them or if they just had a huge stock left over, but i was happy for the time being.

I think I kind of got word because of the comic ending. I kind of put two and two together. But I collected right until the end. I do have some pics from Christmas 1993 where I had my last Joe Christmas. I got lots of stuff like Mega Marines and the Joe HQ and Armor Bot. But the reality settled for me and I realized I didn't have the space for things like this.

So I returned the larger items to TRU (Jan. 1994) and what did I do with the money? I bought the newly released 1994 stuff. Because I could justify buying smaller things like figures and such, but I just wasn't interested in larger vehicles. And I think I knew something was up when I didn't see really many things come out that year.

The funny thing is, when I found out about the 1997 line, it was from my cousin (who lived near our TRU) and I thought he was joking. When I finally got to look at the stuff they brought back, I thought it was crap. I remembered seeing lots of the figures come broken in their packages and plus, I really did not have money to spend on stuff like this. But I do remember feeling good about seeing the Joe items back on the shelf. And if I remember correctly, it seems like when they brought them back, they put them in the section of the store where they were placed before. :)

Now that I think about it though, I remembered seeing a Star Brigade Cobra Invader at a Pic n Save for $5.00(eventually got bought by Big Lots) But I had to pass. I never did get to actually see any Joe figures on closeout. I think the closest was a KB that had the Chun Li figure for like 2.50 or so.

i give that tree a true bite 4 its buck. Nener do now so good forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

see just happen fog now arah.

arah started a hud on the transaction prior to the swamp mosquitoes. summer breeze passing by.

pails in dogworld to year to date spreads. The eager ones to seek salvation in the shadows of one another.

ARAH ARAH

I JUST FARTED...

NOW establish 2 buildings in cancun do that nice.

ARAH.

PRINT so not way like doc says now...

saw that 2 days yojoe newmold.

days have passed; so have years.

hot new bleach suds up in you hair;so sweet for fido.