Sideshow Collectibles To Produce 12" Line

Bespin refugee

Galactic Hunter:

A lot of questions are floating around...While I couldn't get answers to them all, I did manage to find out that cloth parts are apparently easier to do than plastic ones-- so things like Clone Troopers and Stormtroopers are less likely to be available early in the line.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

StarWars.com: "Sideshow takes Center Stage with New Star Wars Figure Line"

Sideshow intends to lend some added distinction to the line by giving each figure a 30-point articulated body, hand-sculpted portrait features, well-tailored outfits, and detailed accessories. "Some of these characters will have real leather belts and holsters, metal buckles, little pouches that you can store little bits of Jedi equipment in, and all kinds of crazy details!
...the new 12" figures should cost around $40 - $55, with the possibility of deluxe figures in the future costing slightly more.

• 2 months later...

Rebelscum Forums

[From SideshowToy Chat]

The first wave is called "The Jedi Order"

[includes Jedi Luke Skywalker (ROTJ)

More information: Yoda is not coming in the first year. The first year was to have a ROTJ theme, but it turned out they had more prequel characters than ROTJ characters. There will be 8 or 9 figures in the first year. The figures will come with features such as leather belts, opening pouches, and detailed accessories. The price will reflect that, at $50 a pop for most figures

To add on to what Dark Destiny posted the 8 or 9 figures in the first year will be split between PT and OT. No indication on what film they will heavily favor. Luke does come with 5 hands and an ignited and unignited lightsaber but there are supposed to be more accessories. They also indicated that the pricepoint will be decided based on what comes with the character and how detailed the character is. No word on Aliens or Helmeted characters but they did say they prefer human characters.

ALSO:

They indicated that just because a character did not win the poll DOESN'T mean that they will not be made, it was just to decide who will be made first.......

Someone commented that Boba Fett was a given and the response was in year one

Someone asked about which characters will be chosen and the response was that some will be done that have never been done in 12" format

Rebelscum: SideshowToy Interview

What can we expect to see for figure assortments?

Brock: There are five different groups of figures that we’re doing. We’re doing The Jedi Order, Galactic Rogues, The Sith Lords, The Legacy Collection, and The Military Of Star Wars. If an Expanded Universe character fits into one of those lines, which all would, it’ll just be a part of that particular line.

What characters can we expect to see in each line?

Brock: The Jedi Order and Sith Lords lines speak for themselves. The Legacy Collection would have the main characters, The Galactic Rogues would be villains, creatures, and bounty hunter kind of people. The Military Of Star Wars is one that we really want to do here because we have a lot of military enthusiasts. Star Wars has always had a cool military design both with the Rebels and the Empire with the original Trilogy. This line will have your soldiers in that, but they’ll have their own personalities like what we did with Bayonets and Barbed Wire and Brotherhood of Arms lines.

In Spring you debuted your first 1/4 scale Prequel figure with General Grievous. Do you plan on exploring any other characters from the first three episodes?

Jared: We do have the license for the entire span of the Star Wars Universe so it’s very likely that we’ll be doing more Prequel figures.

Brock: We originally wanted to do [Grievous] because we heard about him a good year before the movie came out and [Lucasfilm] described what he does, what he is, and that he’s got four lightsabers and four arms and that he was a crazy battle guy and we were like ‘we got to do that!� We didn’t care how complicated he is, or how much he’s in the movie, he sounds cool. I think as the years go on, certain characters from the Prequels will still stand out as being classic characters.

Jared: Grievous really lent it self to that format too. Because he’s more mechanical, we could make him static and we’re never going to do a 12� Grievous figure. I can guarantee that.

That’ll make a lot of people cry. Looking at the 1/4 scale Grievous, there is little doubt that Sideshow would make the quintessential 12� scale version.

Jared: We can say chances are pretty slim…

Brock: We are really collector aimed in terms of keeping the value, or at least maintaining what you paid for it. What factors into it is not just who’s going to buy it, but what the actual suggested retail price is. When you have a figure like Grievous where, except for the cape, is all sculpture based while 12� figures have standard bodies, varying sizes, that we put the clothing on and add some hands and feet, head, and accessories on to it, it’s effective so we can give tight efficient sizes and have them so they still retain value. With something like Grievous, you have to sculpt every single part. If you’re doing it in a 12� scale, you can’t keep it down to that price. It’s not going to happen. Not when you can buy other figures in the line for a third of that price.

Where does that leave you with other non-human figures such as Droids?

Jared: It forces us to get really creative on how we’re going to adapt nonhuman characters on a 12� body. You can have arm extension and leg extensions; all things are possible I think. Development can be a little longer on it and it could affect the SRP on the more complicated figures, but we weigh that on how popular the character is to the fans and if they’ll really enjoy it when it comes out.

[With C-3PO and R2-D2] it’s hard to tell. They’re like Grievous, though not as complicated, they still possess their own unique intrinsic problems. I think they are doable, certainly.

How extensively accessorized will the 12� line be?

Jared: I don’t think we’re going to try to create a huge assortment of the same figures per film, but it is easier to do it with certain figures than with other ones. For instance with Jedi Luke it’s easier to do what Medicom did and present it in the package that shows him from the full film. That wouldn’t be hard to do, but if we wanted to do Luke from The Empire strikes Back, we couldn’t do him with his Hoth gear, and his Bespin gear, and whatever he wore on Dagobah, which essentially is the same thing all in one big pack. That would be an instance where it would be explored as packages that would have him in his Hoth gear and another where he’d have his Bespin gear. So it comes down to how a character appears and how complicated it would be to package them up with everything. If they are pretty much consistent throughout the whole film then there’s really no reason to break them apart that much. If it’s just adding an extra accessory, we’d probably just do it that way.

Will the 12� line utilize scaled bodies to better represent the heights of the different characters?

Brock: If you line them up it wouldn’t be scaled perfectly, but it would be apparent.

Jared: It’s taken into consideration. If you line them up in a Usual Suspects kind of line up you’d notice the difference.

What about figures like Chewbacca?

Jared: Thinking about him is scary. We start thinking about him and we have to stop because it hurts. There are a lot of challenges to make him look right, but I can we’ll definitely take some time looking at him because not having him in the 12� line would be a shame.

Brock: But we don’t want to cop out and have a camped kind of manner or we can’t do all we should so here’s this wacky version. We definitely want to do him just as cool as we are able to achieve whether it’s real fur or sculpted.

Jared: If we were going to do him it would have to be right. It really depends on how the fur would lay. It’s finding the right material to put the finishing touch on it so it can be achieved in production.

Do you have any plans to incorporate any light or sound chip features to the 12� line?

Jared: At this time we are not. Not to say our lightsabers will not be cool (Note: They will most certainly be cool. Trust me on this one…) [Electronics are] very cool novelty features, they look great, but light up features in this line are probably not going to happen. I would love to do them but the mechanics just wouldn’t work out and the price would jump up for it. Probably more than what most people would expect to pay.

Brock: With a saber that big if you’re going to do it in scale and the detail that’s correct you’d have to have a wire go to it and have it attached to the hand. I’ve seen it done with Hasbro and they did some interesting things with it the 12�. I can think of an Obi-Wan from Attack of The Clones that had it. It was interesting but it changed the articulation and the overall form. It looked like it had a light feature in it with the hand that it plugged into which was a little bit too big. It worked for them but for us it would be completely different monster to tackle.

Sideshow seems to have a special love for severed limbs, and as we all know, George Lucas is in on the same tip. Will you be incorporating any removable limbs into the 12� line?

Brock: It really depends on where they get chopped off. Anakin’s got full cloth sleeves, and if we were to do that I’d don’t know if it would have the right effect. If it were a hand it would be really easy to do.

Jared: But we’ve done it before with the Black Knight figure…

Brock: Right! And we’ve always had success with severed limbs.

Jared: Severed parts are great fun to play with! So it’s totally a possibility depending on the character. How we are representing a character from the film, which film it is, if it’s important to that character’s appearance then it is certainly within our realm of expertise in severed parts.

What can we expect to see with the packaging designs for the [12" line]...?

Brock: ...When it comes to the 12�, it will have a different look than our 1/4 scale packages slightly. It won’t be exact, but it will have some elements the same. It will be similar to what we’ve done with the 12� before, but again a little bit different. There are some pretty cool designs that I have seen that are interesting. If you have the boxes out on your shelf with the spines out they’ll all look similar but when you break them out and open them they should have some different features about them.

• 1 month later...

StarWars.com: "Sideshow is a Main Attraction for 2006"

The new 12" figure series .... has fans wondering when they might see a Sith breach the Jedi band of brothers. "In the near future," says Senior Licensing Coordinator Brock Otterbacher. "How near? Well, it may be a few announcements away, and that's all I can say..."
Edited by Bespin refugee

• 3 weeks later...

whens the next figure due out? and are there any hints as too who?

I read on another board that Mace should be coming up, from someone who said they had seen a pic of a 'spot on' head sculpt. Edited by Bespin refugee

Boo :(

Great for mace fans though ...

damn... there just killing us 4 , 5,6 fans here :(

give us a clone or vader or jango or something at least similar !

I wonder if we will ever get a r2d2 sideshow figure ?..

Hmmm?...

Edited by synch

damn... there just killing us 4 , 5,6 fans here :(

give us a clone or vader or jango or something at least similar !

Well, the "Sith Lords" should be coming up pretty soon, and unless they include the EU, I'd expect a Vader. ;)

Edited by Bespin refugee

sith lords?

are they doing these figures in series names or ?.. What are all the names in the orders?.. do we know? :D thanks man! hmm I'm not getting my hopes up about vader just yet... I'm expecting evil eyed anakin first... or have we got him allready ? :S

luke obi kit ... ?.. :S

Wandye you gota pm btw ;)

sith lords?

are they doing these figures in series names or ?.. What are all the names in the orders?.. do we know? :D thanks man! hmm I'm not getting my hopes up about vader just yet... I'm expecting evil eyed anakin first... or have we got him allready ? :S

luke obi kit ... ?.. :S

Rebelscum: Sideshow Interview

What can we expect to see for figure assortments?

Brock: There are five different groups of figures that we're doing. We're doing The Jedi Order, Galactic Rogues, The Sith Lords, The Legacy Collection, and The Military Of Star Wars. If an Expanded Universe character fits into one of those lines, which all would, it'll just be a part of that particular line.

What characters can we expect to see in each line?

Brock: The Jedi Order and Sith Lords lines speak for themselves. The Legacy Collection would have the main characters, The Galactic Rogues would be villains, creatures, and bounty hunter kind of people. The Military Of Star Wars is one that we really want to do here because we have a lot of military enthusiasts. Star Wars has always had a cool military design both with the Rebels and the Empire with the original Trilogy. This line will have your soldiers in that, but they'll have their own personalities like what we did with Bayonets and Barbed Wire and Brotherhood of Arms lines.

StarWars.com: "Sideshow is a Main Attraction for 2006"

The new 12" figure series .... has fans wondering when they might see a Sith breach the Jedi band of brothers. "In the near future," says Senior Licensing Coordinator Brock Otterbacher. "How near? Well, it may be a few announcements away, and that's all I can say..."

So, with...

Jedi Order

Anakin Skywalker

Luke Skywalker

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Kit Fisto

Mace Windu (pending...)

I would guess...

Sith Lords

Darth Maul

Darth Tyrannus/ Count Dooku

Darth Vader

Darth Sidious/ Palpatine/ Emperor

EU Sith Lord?

Also,

Rebelscum Forums: Sideshow Chat

...Yoda is not coming in the first year. The first year was to have a ROTJ theme, but it turned out they had more prequel characters than ROTJ characters. There will be 8 or 9 figures in the first year.

To add on to what Dark Destiny posted the 8 or 9 figures in the first year will be split between PT and OT. No indication on what film they will heavily favor...No word on Aliens or Helmeted characters but they did say they prefer human characters...

Someone commented that Boba Fett was a given and the response was in year one

Someone asked about which characters will be chosen and the response was that some will be done that have never been done in 12" format

I can't wait till they do some guys I want :D

Boba fet this year eh?.. I kinda dout that but if so I look forword to it :) He is gona be pain to get though, both exclusive and regular are gona sell out with in the blink of an eye :S

same goes for guys like vader too :)

thanks bes I'm all hyped up again :P

• 3 weeks later...

@purpbananna#No Jar Jar in the Works that makes me a happy collector #party# @yipee@

Now as for Sith Lords they have to start with Exar Kun the first Sith Lord, then move onto Maul and everyone else.

Actually if they were to do Sith Lords I'd want them in this order

Vader

Palpatine

Kun

Maul

Dooku

Darth Plageus "sp"

True no one knows what he looks like but i'm sure we have prob 6 months to a year in which they can do novels from that era to create a fig for him, hmmm, wonder if anyone is doing a novel for palpy?? I'd love to read about his being an apprentice.

, hmmm, wonder if anyone is doing a novel for palpy?? I'd love to read about his being an apprentice.

I believe thats part of his appeal, the fact that he is a mystery. I agree that a story

about how he learned the ways of the Sith and his start into politics would be an interesting

story, but then that takes away the mystery. A story only about Plaguis would be cool.

TheJawa.com:

The Sideshow Report

by Ben Leach

TOY FAIR SIDESHOW TOYS FAST FACTS!

* Collector's Edition Mace Windu will include Jango Fett's helmet

* Luke Skywalker will start shipping in March

* Look forward to either a Han or Luke exclusive for SDCC

* No Clones until 2007

* The next release will be another from either the Heroes of the Rebellion or Order of the Jedi set but the one after that will debut a new line.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

that sdcc one is gona be a royal $(*& whats the date onsdcc again?.. I can never remember :S

Edited by synch

• 2 weeks later...

anything new on this stuff yet?.. havn't really seen anything posted on em but I may have missed it! Any word on what the sdcc figure will be ?..

Or the next figure? We know anything after quigen or whatever yet?..

thanks!

^No announcements yet, just speculation.

For SDCC info...

Sideshow ComicCon 2006

* The next release will be another from either the Heroes of the Rebellion or Order of the Jedi set but the one after that will debut a new line.

Note: This info was released Feb 14, prior to the Qui-Gon announcement (Mar. 9th), so, I'd assume the next announcement will start a new series ('Lords of the Sith'?? 'Military'? Scum and Villainy'?' @hmmm@)

* Look forward to either a Han or Luke exclusive for SDCC

JediDefender: (Add comma at end)

Look for about 10 figures to be released this year, including the 6 previously revealed and an SDCC Exclusive (which will be a legitimate variation of an existing character) .