-Rebel Commando Nik Sant

-Rebel Commando Sergeant

Scum and Villainy

Bib Fortuna [ROTJ]

Jabba the Hutt [ROTJ]

-Salacious B. Crumb Creature Pack

-Throne Environment

Sideshow Collectibles:

Sideshow Collectibles joins with Hasbro and Lucasfilm Ltd.

Westlake Village, CA - July 14th, 2005 - Sideshow Collectibles announced today the acquisition of the license to manufacture and distribute a line of 12-inch Star Wars action figures. Sideshow plans to provide details of the product line later in 2005 via www.SideshowCollectibles.com, but collectors can look forward to the new 12-inch figures hitting store shelves (and online) in mid 2006.

"We are excited to expand our relationship with Lucasfilm, and to begin working with Hasbro," said Greg Anzalone, CEO of Sideshow Collectibles. "As dedicated fans of both the Star Wars saga and the previous Hasbro product, we aspire to bring a new level of detail and authenticity to the 12-inch figure category."

Kenner, a division of Hasbro, first introduced 12-inch Star Wars figures in 1978. Hasbro reintroduced the format in 1996, producing updated versions of classic characters like Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Darth Vader. "Over the last 10 years, we've produced over 150 different 12-inch Star Wars figures," said Derryl DePriest, Hasbro's Director of Marketing for the Star Wars brand. "We have chosen Sideshow to carry the torch because they have an unparalleled reputation for producing quality limited edition 12-inch figures."

Sideshow Collectibles announced the 12-inch figure license on the one-year anniversary of the premiere of Sideshow's first Star Wars offerings. Sideshow began solicitations for a line of high-end Premium Format 1/4 Scale Figures at the San Diego Comic-Con International show in July of 2004. More recently, Sideshow Collectibles announced a line of life-size Star Wars busts. "The 12-inch Star Wars line really complements our previous series of Star Wars collectibles. Our larger scale, high-end Star Wars offerings are perfect as centerpieces in any collection. They're museum quality representations of the most heroic and villainous characters, and they're BIG," says Tom Gilliland, Creative Director at Sideshow Collectibles. "The 12-inch line packs the same quality & detail into a smaller and more affordable package. This 12-inch series also enables us to go even broader in our character selection than we have gone previously. Fans of the previous Hasbro 12-inch figures will be excited by our character choices - our goal is to enhance, expand, and update the amazing collection that Hasbro has offered."

"The alliance between Sideshow and Hasbro grew out of mutual respect within the two companies," said Casey Collins, Director of Domestic Licensing & Retail Marketing at Lucasfilm. "Designers at Sideshow were collecting Hasbro product, designers at Hasbro were collecting Sideshow product. Sideshow has a fresh and unique approach to the 12-inch collectible figure category - we recognized the potential in the relationship immediately."

Edited by Bespin refugee

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I could imagine!

I wonder if they'll do classic characters too though. I'd still be interested in Boba.

boba would be cool.

Oh yes!

Must have all Bobas!!! ... .. . @hmmm@

Nitro Junkie - Probably clothe and 12' skeletons like the ones that are currently on shelves by Hasbro

are these going to be plastic or statues with cloth ?
Sideshow's 12" Preview Image* shows a 12" 'nude' G.I. Joe type body w/ cloak and lightsaber.

Also,

Rebelscum:

The promotional artwork suggests Anakin Skyalker is a sure bet, but we've also been told that Sideshow has plans for both the Classic and Prequel Trilogies. PLUS, the company has said they will run a poll on their site so that fans can vote which character from the Expanded Universe they'd like to see made.

*JediDefender.com

Are they gonna be ultra-limited like a lot of Sideshow 12"'s are?

Also, if they do females, let's hope they fix the proportions because they always put big heads in small skinny bodes when it comes to females. Their male figures tend to be great though. Their Van Helsing figure kicks ass.

this sux because of the possibly high price point and availibility.

not to pick on you Kenny but damn everybody's complaining and they just announced it 2 days ago! yes they will be pricey but then you won't get crap from hasbro that everybody complains about, and yes they will be limited but that will clear up more space on the shleves and you won't see these shelf warming, again something everybody complains about. I for one think this is great news, cause finally someone will do these figures Justice! GO SIDESHOW!

How much do these tend to cost?.. THey look great! ... at least articulation wise! THey look on par with ML! I only wish they were the same size as well!

EIther way I may just stop collecting the normal action figures & gun for these suckers...

Hey that obi one exclusive they put out is not part of the 12 " line is it?!!! THats something different all togeather eh?..

Ah whew good! I'd hate to have missed out cause I didn't know! I think the faces onthat obi are sorta creepy too so thats good :D

• 3 weeks later...

Sideshowtoy.com:

COLLECTORS CHOOSE FIRST 'STAR WARS' 12 INCH FIGURE!

Sideshow Collectibles will be allowing 'Star Wars' fans to select the first 'Star Wars' Expanded Universe character for production! Stay tuned to our newsletter for further details!

Do you think Sideshow can make a better 12" than Medicom?

I think their sculpt will be more accurate *somehow asian can't really nail the likeness of a caucasian on sculpt, vice versa*.

Another thing is the body frame that Sideshow will use. A Joe body frame will just waste the nice sculpt. Hopefully they can use something similar to the Medicom RAH 12" body.

And finally, price... how much would be an acceptable price? The Medicom stuff is like around $130 USD, that's pretty steep, but the price also reassured the quality of the figure.

Iv'e been picking up some of the loose Sideshow 12" figure off Evil-bay, and must say, I am very impressed with the level of articulation (usually about 30+ points).

I assume the retail on them will be between $40-50 MIB.

Can't wait, I will buy them MIB for sure (and rip them open immediately)

40-50 would be not bad..

Any word on when we will see these bugers yet?.. I really can't wait! I need to see some pics before I decide to make em my main SW lineup or not...

Any word on when we will see these bugers yet?..  I really can't wait!  I need to see some pics before I decide to make em my main SW lineup or not...
Sideshow plans to provide details of the product line later in 2005 via www.SideshowCollectibles.com, but collectors can look forward to the new 12-inch figures hitting store shelves (and online) in mid 2006.

:)

Oh they can & most likely will :)

I'd like to see a c3po & r2 set from them as well my self! I think something like that is right up there ally, specialy with all r2's gimicks ! :D

I think its save to say we will see

anikin

luke

vader

obiwon (maybe a couple... young old, or switchabel heads)

I duno really...

dang... so anytime between now & the next 5 months.. I really don't wana wait that long :P