Misconceptions You Had As A Kid . . .

Pit Viper

I have no idea where I got this but for some reason I though Cross Country was Sgt Slaughters son. I think it had something to do with the filecards or something in the Marvel Order of Battle. Also I do remember pulling off Dress Marine Gung Hos hat and it there was sculpted hair underneath.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody with a mask was ninja.

I thought Buzzer was Buzzard.

Every figure was an individual character. Momma never would buy me more than one of a figure so I didn't have armies.

And about Overlord's claw. I just thought he had extendo claws and they were in a retracted postion in toy form and extended on the package art. I pretended he used them the same way Scorpion from MK would do his "get over here" move.

Iron Grenadiers were "Iron Grenade-ERS"

Ha! I still say it that way. LOL!

And my biggest one was that CC was disfigured under his hood. That later turned out to be true in the cartoon world, but not in the comics.

umm... wait a minute you mean they aren't? how the heck do you say it then? lol

Iron Grenadiers were "Iron Grenade-ERS"

Ha! I still say it that way. LOL!

And my biggest one was that CC was disfigured under his hood. That later turned out to be true in the cartoon world, but not in the comics.

umm... wait a minute you mean they aren't? how the heck do you say it then? lol

Grena-Diers, I called them Grenade-ERS too, until I was corrected by my older cousin. Similar to Violentfix I too, did not have many misconceptions, and the ones I did have were quickly put to rest by my cousins. I was always the kid who knew to much for my own good, as I felt I had to correct my friends when we played, they quickly grew tired of it.

Guest McBragg

NEver realized that Keel Haul and the old Admiral in the cartoon weren't the same character.

Based on the card art I thought that Zartan's bearded face was his real one until I saw the toy or pictures of the toy

My brother and I always thought that Gnawgahyde's name was pronounced Naw-Hyde (due to my mother telling us that the G was silent, yet never specifying which one). Actually, to this day, I still slip and call him that.

I didn't think Tunnel Rat was mixed, but rather was Japanese or Chinese.

I also thought Snake Eyes was an Englishman because when I saw him for the first time in GIJOE: the movie, the helmet made him look like a knight.

I never really thought Tunnel Rat was asian, myself. I guess it was just a hard thing to pull off on the cartoon or in toy form - with all the gear and face paint you couldn't really tell. I probably lost his file card too...

Never realized that Keel Haul and the old Admiral in the cartoon weren't the same character.

I actually thought they were the same dude myself, but i've always been a fan of Keel Haul anyway.

I checked JoeGuide.com and YoJoe.com just to make sure that they were two different characters, and they certainly are. The character in the cartoon was called Admiral Ledger.

Some kid convinced me that the molded stars on Quick Kick and Stormshadow were removable. He told me that he knew a store where the stars were sold individually for 25 cents each or so. He also told me that this store still had the V1 Stormshadow for $5. This was back in 1988. So I gave him my life savings of $6 for the figure and some stars. Of course I never got my stuff. Wow, kind of like being ripped off on eBay now that I think about it. Regardless, I have sworn to commit physical violence on this fellow if I weas ever to see him again. He also has a bunch of my TFs too.

Some kid convinced me that the molded stars on Quick Kick and Stormshadow were removable. He told me that he knew a store where the stars were sold individually for 25 cents each or so. He also told me that this store still had the V1 Stormshadow for $5. This was back in 1988. So I gave him my life savings of $6 for the figure and some stars. Of course I never got my stuff. Wow, kind of like being ripped off on eBay now that I think about it. Regardless, I have sworn to commit physical violence on this fellow if I weas ever to see him again. He also has a bunch of my TFs too.

Someone should almost start another thread about times we were swindled or ripped-off as a kid concerning G.I. JOE. I had a bunch of stuff stolen from me.

I always thought road pig was a gi joe, and i could never remember his name...street pig was often used. Since i didnt watch the cartoon or read the comic (before my time) i didnt really know characters names or which side they were on.

-saboteur

• 1 year later...

When I saw Sgt Slaughter on ESPN in 88-89, I thought that a GI Joe/Cobra organization REALLY exists. I thought Sgt Slaughter is gona fight someone from Cobra on AWA.

I thought Overlord WAS the NEW leader of Cobra.

I thought too Cobra Commander was some reptilian human hybrid.

I thought Shipwreck was one of the weakest of the Joes

I would consider battle armor CC the TRUE version 2 of the character since in the DIC eps, its him and IG Destro that are paired, and the talking battle commander version is the version3 of the character. I guess even to this day, when CC and Destro have new versions that come out at the same time they should be treated as version x.

I always thought Mercer from the movie was British.

I still think after carefully examine my namesake's card art/figure that he could have some Asian blood.

I really thought Destro was 2nd in command of Cobra until he broke away and formed his own group

Vipers were upgraded blue shirts, even though they still featured blueshirts in the 2nd season/movie.

Serpentor v2 figure is really the resurrected version, hence the black parts.

Anybody else split their HISS in 2 and use the top part as a boat/gunship type thing. I saw some people split it in 2 but there was many a battle in my house where that was the only way Cobra Commander and his troops would escape. :D

A friend of mine did when I was little. I mentioned it way back on the first page of this thread I think. He would also hide figures down in the tracks.

I think Hasbro originally intended him to be Cobra Commander incognito but that idea was scrapped for some reason.

If you think about it Cobra Commander had been turned into a snake in the movie and Serpentor seemingly fell to his death in the movie as well. While Golobulus survived, the rest of Cobra La had been destroyed and Hasbro had dropped the whole Cobra La gimmick. With Destro leaving Cobra to form the Iron Grenadiers you had a leaderless Cobra in '88,'89, and '90. A new Cobra Commander figure did not come out until 1991. So it makes sense that the Overlord would have been Cobra's new leader. Especially if you didn't read the comics or see 'Operation Dragonfire' which established that Serpentor had somehow survived his fall and Cobra Commander was brought back as Cobra's leader.

I think Hasbro originally intended him to be Cobra Commander incognito but that idea was scrapped for some reason.

If you think about it Cobra Commander had been turned into a snake in the movie and Serpentor seemingly fell to his death in the movie as well. While Golobulus survived, the rest of Cobra La had been destroyed and Hasbro had dropped the whole Cobra La gimmick. With Destro leaving Cobra to form the Iron Grenadiers you had a leaderless Cobra in '88,'89, and '90. A new Cobra Commander figure did not come out until 1991. So it makes sense that the Overlord would have been Cobra's new leader. Especially if you didn't read the comics or see 'Operation Dragonfire' which established that Serpentor had somehow survived his fall and Cobra Commander was brought back as Cobra's leader.

off topic but somewhat related to the discussion.

Its kinda like how in Japanese Transformers continuity, around the Headmasters, the Bots/Cons got new leaders. Incidently one of the new Con leaders in Japan WAS named Overlord.

i thought that the people on the cartoon were REAL people (i.e duke voiced himself, etc) i even wrote a fan letter to quick kick which my folks 'mailed' in. i thnkk it stemmed from seeing sgt slaughter on my tv in live action so i just assumed the rest were real as well.

i was 5 or 6 give me a break... haha

i thought that the people on the cartoon were REAL people (i.e duke voiced himself, etc) i even wrote a fan letter to quick kick which my folks 'mailed' in. i thnkk it stemmed from seeing sgt slaughter on my tv in live action so i just assumed the rest were real as well.

i was 5 or 6 give me a break... haha

hey it would been kinda scary if there was a real life Golobulus, Serpentor, CC as was portrayed

in the movie.