Con Exclusives Up At Mc

dirtyroastbeef

I'd expect the SB 2-packs to, eventually, sell out. Even at the high price, army builders will strike. I would bet the 3 pack, though, will be around for a while. Those Mechs will probably outlast the Dreadnok Driver set, though. :)

After dropping almost $100 for the 5 exclusives last year and being totally underwhelmed by them, I just couldn't do it again this year. I do think Dragonsky looked decent and I picked up one of him. But, I can easily live without the rest. I can get som much for $100 that it's really difficult to justify it for 5 figures that, while kind of cool, aren't really integral to my Joeverse. I'd rather get a nice lot of vintage figs from the local comic/toy shop for that kind of money. It would be much more fulfilling.

Master Collector Con Items

$74 for 3 figures.

And I wonder sometimes why I'm disallusioned with the hobby.

Don't you just love their greed? The damn things probably cost $0.20 each to make in China.

The con's over, and the prices should lower.

Yeah, i love how MC sells the Moray for $70 bucks with no figures. But the TRU moray is $40 and includes two figures.

I am keeping an eye out for the figures being sold loose down the line.

That's not a bad idea. With rumours of Dragonsky appearing in a comic pack down the road (with a different mold, though) if the line is able to sustain itself for a year or so, you'll probably be better off waiting. As soon as one is available at "retail", the demand for the con figure will cool off. But, if a new Dragonsky doesn't come out, you could be kind of stuck as he seems to be the most popular right now.

Yeah, i love how MC sells the Moray for $70 bucks with no figures. But the TRU moray is $40 and includes two figures.

maybe when you go to college you will take an economics class and learn about production, and you will see there isn't a comparrison to be made with these prices.

I'll sum it up for you. the more you produce of something the less it will cost. so, Hasbro can sell for less because they produce more. meanwhile, MC produces less so they have to sell for more, and there you have the discrpency in prices. a discrepency that does not lead to what you are intimating.

add to that the inherent "exclusivity" that a convention "exclusive" is suppose to have, and you have a reasonable additional mark up on it, so it remains...say it with me..."exclusive." @loll@

and you have a reasonable additional mark up on it,

I'll just say that the definition of "reasonable" is open to interpretation. :)

The most expensive item for anyone to produce is the first one. After that, you cost per unit starts to decrease with each subsequent unit. (To a point where diminishing returns kick in....) My guess is that while MC's costs on these items are higher, they are not paying nearly as much as many people might suspect they are and that there is still SUBSTANTIAL mark up in these figures. Frankly, I don't blame them for getting what they can for these items since they pay to produce them. But, they aren't paying $18/figure or anything like that.

My feeling is that we as collectors have no one to blame but ourselves for the prices. MC charges what they can get for these items. If collectors as a whole simply didn't buy the figures, they would lower the price the following year. (Or not produce any at all.) The fact is that the first year's set sold well. The second year set sold well and the Firefly exclusive sold well, too. Last year, it seems most items sold well, even though there are substantial leftovers. As such, the ante was upped a bit again this year. If sales this year were right, I would expect there to be slightly more offerings at the 2006 convention. MC produces to what collectors can afford. And, while I can't afford a Con set, I know a LOT of collectors who can and do.

The only other thing I'll add is that I don't, necessarily, trust MC's "production numbers". They have been known in the past to under report the true numbers to create an air of exclusivity. The fact that many of these items are available in Asia tells you that the production runs were not strictly limited to the numbers they want everyone to believe.

Gah I like the SB and Dragonsky but not at these prices. I have no use for Gung Ho, Goldy and two SBers. I will pick up what I want later on when the demand goes down.

Draven

Ah, same ol' thing every year. The debate rages on the pricing of Con exclusives. You can almost mark your calendar on its regularity! @loll@

#US1# i wish Brian or someone would come and explain.

Ah, same ol' thing every year. The debate rages on the pricing of Con exclusives. You can almost mark your calendar on its regularity! @loll@

Amen on that one @lol@

If collectors as a whole simply didn't buy the figures, they would lower the price the following year.  (Or not produce any at all.)  The fact is that the first year's set sold well.  The second year set sold well and the Firefly exclusive sold well, too.  Last year, it seems most items sold well, even though there are substantial leftovers.  As such, the ante was upped a bit again this year.  If sales this year were right, I would expect there to be slightly more offerings at the 2006 convention.  MC produces to what collectors can afford.  And, while I can't afford a Con set, I know a LOT of collectors who can and do. 

The only other thing I'll add is that I don't, necessarily, trust MC's "production numbers".  They have been known in the past to under report the true numbers to create an air of exclusivity.  The fact that many of these items are available in Asia tells you that the production runs were not strictly limited to the numbers they want everyone to believe.

I doubt this will happen, it just means more exclusives for ones that want to buy them :)

Master Collector Con Items

$74 for 3 figures.

And I wonder sometimes why I'm disallusioned with the hobby.

Don't you just love their greed? The damn things probably cost $0.20 each to make in China.

The con's over, and the prices should lower.

dont forget about the $.20 that they pay that chinese kid to press the plastic too.. so that's $.40 a figure @loll@

Just as was mentioned earlier.....I will try to explain. If Hasbro has 25,000 units of a green moray run by a factory in China, they get a HUGE bulk discount. Add to that, The fact that the Factories over there give priority to LARGER orders.......When Brian and the Collectors club give them the word that they want them to run off 750 of an item..the general attitude from China is usually "when we feel like it, and it will cost ya". I have defended The Collectors Club over the years, and i will say, standing in line this year for the con stuff, I did think that it was cheesy for them to run off blue deck plates to put on the previous years con item to make it "new". But i have since changed my mind, after actually seeing the blue Moray....I LOVE IT!!! I think it was VERY creative of them to do that. They obviously listened when the first pics of the TRU moray surfaced, and we all said "They should have done it in Cobra Blue". Brian and his staff DO LISTEN to feedback(even from non-members) and try to make us all happy as Joe collectors. They are keeping the 40th anniversary 12 inch line alive, after what would have been certain death for that line. They did not HAVE to pick them up. and I GUARANTEE that they get stuck with a bunch of them. Why did they do it? Because they are collectors too! As Brian has said Time and Again: "The Collectors Club is for GI JOE COLLECTORS" It is not done so they can make a HUGE profit off of us, as they do NOT make a huge profit! where do you think that the money for the give away figures every year comes from? Jungle vipers do not grow on trees(but they do hide in them). I applaud Brian for giving me a way every year to celebrate the Hobby that has kept my interest for the last 20+ years thru the Annual Con, which he and his staff put in TONs of hours to bring us. I think that it is great the way they keep coming up with new items to entice us all with. I will finish by saying: IF YOU DO NOTLIKE THE NON-MEMBER PRICE......THEN JOIN!!!! It is $36 a year,which breaks down into $3 a month. You get the newsletter every month, the opportunity to buy exclusive items thru the year(with more special things on the way), and in the newsletter, there are tidbits, and pics that i see a bunch of you complaining that you cant see cause you are not a member. PLUS factor in the free exclusive figure every year at NO extra cost to you, and you will see that the cost of joining is WELL worth it. I am sure that i will get a bunch of people who say "I should not have to join something to see this info, or such" But i will use a catch phrase from old "membership has its priveleges"

I am done with my rant now.

Just as was mentioned earlier.....I will try to explain. If Hasbro has 25,000 units of a green moray run by a factory in China, they get a HUGE bulk discount. Add to that, The fact that the Factories over there give priority to LARGER orders.......When Brian and the Collectors club give them the word that they want them to run off 750 of an item..the general attitude from China is usually "when we feel like it, and it will cost ya". I have defended The Collectors Club over the years, and i will say, standing in line this year for the con stuff, I did think that it was cheesy for them to run off blue deck plates to put on the previous years con item to make it "new". But i have since changed my mind, after actually seeing the blue Moray....I LOVE IT!!! I think it was VERY creative of them to do that. They obviously listened when the first pics of the TRU moray surfaced, and we all said "They should have done it in Cobra Blue". Brian and his staff DO LISTEN to feedback(even from non-members) and try to make us all happy as Joe collectors. They are keeping the 40th anniversary 12 inch line alive, after what would have been certain death for that line. They did not HAVE to pick them up. and I GUARANTEE that they get stuck with a bunch of them. Why did they do it? Because they are collectors too! As Brian has said Time and Again: "The Collectors Club is for GI JOE COLLECTORS" It is not done so they can make a HUGE profit off of us, as they do NOT make a huge profit! where do you think that the money for the give away figures every year comes from? Jungle vipers do not grow on trees(but they do hide in them). I applaud Brian for giving me a way every year to celebrate the Hobby that has kept my interest for the last 20+ years thru the Annual Con, which he and his staff put in TONs of hours to bring us. I think that it is great the way they keep coming up with new items to entice us all with. I will finish by saying: IF YOU DO NOTLIKE THE NON-MEMBER PRICE......THEN JOIN!!!! It is $36 a year,which breaks down into $3 a month. You get the newsletter every month, the opportunity to buy exclusive items thru the year(with more special things on the way), and in the newsletter, there are tidbits, and pics that i see a bunch of you complaining that you cant see cause you are not a member. PLUS factor in the free exclusive figure every year at NO extra cost to you, and you will see that the cost of joining is WELL worth it. I am sure that i will get a bunch of people who say "I should not have to join something to see this info, or such" But i will use a catch phrase from old "membership has its priveleges"

well said bro. #US1# *Puts on flame suit.

Damn I need to get that 15 figure MARS set. I just dropped about the same amount at a bunch of targets and other stores yesterday, so maybe these will stay in stock a while

Damn I need to get that 15 figure MARS set. I just dropped about the same amount at a bunch of targets and other stores yesterday, so maybe these will stay in stock a while

So far they have a waiting list from what I have been told. They are sorting the sets out to see if they have any boxed and bagged sets left. This set was awesome and from the looks of it a BIG HIT.

Amen.

Ack! Paragraphs, please!

I looked over what they had and I just can't justify those prices. That's one of the two reasons I didn't renew my MC membership.

I would like ONE of those SkyHawks though. If anybody wants to go in on a set, LMK.

Jase

=w=

I'm considering the Skyhawk set. There's three of them, which is close to $15 each, which I don't think is a bad price, since a vehicle that size would be close to $10-15 at retail.

I'm considering the Skyhawk set. There's three of them, which is close to $15 each, which I don't think is a bad price, since a vehicle that size would be close to $10-15 at retail.

I agree, but I don't need three of them @lol@

Jase

=w=

I usually love the stuff MC puts out and I am happy they do it..

I agree that their prices are a lot higher than I want to pay, but I have the choice to buy them or not.. and its not like they are hurting my collecting experiece by offering them.. I don't think Hasbro would be making this stuff if MC didn't.. so its pay the higher prices, or do without...

As for the offerings themselves.. 2003 was the first year I started paying attention to them, and it was great. I actually really liked the Operation Anaconda set, especially the MegaVipers (swampvipers).. But the prize were the souvenirs. The Hiss 2 is outstanding, and the Firefly 2-pack was great as well. Both of these items sold out really quickly.

Last year the set was okay.. I like TF and they chose good figures to use, but the orange was too bright (they should have went with the original TF paint schemes a bit more.. But the big flaws were the dreadheads (all those AeroViper heads killed me) and the Souvenirs... I actually really liked the Zanzibar/Thrasher pack but after that it was downhill fast.... The Stun was a great idea, a classic vehicle that needed to be done, but the colors were ugly...The Zartan pack was horrible because they didn't have a normal Zartan in it.... and I was mixed with the TF Moray at the time.. I liked it, (hell, I bought 3 of them).. However, after seeing the Blue top, I feel cheated now @lol@

This year probably had the best set of them all. But again, the souvenirs are not so great for some reason. Last year they had 4 souvenirs, and I kind of feel like they had less this year. The Steel Brigade troopers are nice all around. I like all the molds and the color schemes, I don't like the "Urban Rain" camo.. I also like the 3-pack of figures.. The Skyhawks are also great, but they are missing their chin guns @grumpy@ and have marbled plastic... I won't even go into detail about the IronMech because its a stupid new-sculpt vehicle @lol@... but the big problem is the Blue Moray.... Not only is it simply left over stock from last year with a new top, but they only offered 200 and are also screwing over the people who have already bought the TF version... Like I said, I bought 3 from last year because I love the Moray... but I would much rather have 1 TF and 2 Blues, or 3 Blues.. However, that is not an option because they sold out quickly and charged more.. How to fix that? Offer the top by itself on their site for 10-15 bucks.

Anyhow, I am skeptical about their offerings for next year's souvenirs.. I would hate to think that they peaked with the 2003 Hiss2 and Firefly pack.