Stormtroopers Are Clones!!!!!

KENNY GUIDO

Well, while thumbing through this months STAR WARS INSIDER #82 (the official source for anything star wars), I stumbled upon some great FACTS about the clones.........and stormtroopers and it put to rest the theory about clones being recuited.

read em and weep, boys!

here is a letter from IAN HILL, REDDING, CA:

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE CLONES?

What happened to the clones after the clone wars? I thought at first they eventually transformed into stormtroopers because the helmets the clones were wearing in episode 3 look very simlar to stormtrooper helmets. However, in E4, I noticed that some of the stormtroopers varied in height, so it isnt possible that clones and stormtroopers are the same. In the novelization of REVENGE OF THE SITH, there isnt a mention of what happens to the clones at the end. can you please set the record straight?

REPLY:

Well, if we can be pablo Hidalgo for a quik second we would tell you that your initial observation is correct. the clones of the republic do become stormtroopers by A NEW HOPE (actually, we didnt have to turn into Pablo at all-If you turn to this issues "ASK THE MASTER" section begining on page 36, you will learna little fact about the cloning process that should help answer your question.)

there ya have it!!!! sorry to burst the bubble of those of you that didnt believe me. but wait...............theres more!

ASK THE MASTER

ever since I saw ATTACK OF THE CLONES & learned that clone troopers later became stormtroopers, I went back to A NEW HOPE, where luke and han knock out 2 stormtroopers and grab their suits. if stormtroopers were indeed from the same original clones, wouldn't it be odd for luke and han to look at the same trooper faces when they took their armor?

odd to whom, though? the act that many stormtroopers seen in the original trilogy were clones was kept a secret from us viewers, but there's no reason to think that and han and luke didn't know this. well, ok, maybe luke didn't as hes a country kid getting his first taste of the big galaxy, but han is savvy enough to know. regardless, the act of taking off the imperial armor was never captured onscreen-not even in spin off material-so if han or luke expressed any surprise, it hasnt been chronicled.

as a side note, by the time of NEW HOPE. the empire had begun using different clone hosts as well as conscripts as stormtroopers, so its also entirely possible that the troopers that hand and luke unmasked actually had different faces.

in a notable bit of history repeating itself, a scene in the expanded universe shows luke and han standing before unhelmeted, inert stormtroopers and expressing dismay at seeing cloned faces. this occurs in DARK FORCE RISING, when the NEW REPUBLIC discover that, somehow, the empire has restarted its cloning program.

There ya have it!!!!! God bless George Lucas and his STAR WARS INSIDER!

Subsbribe today!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What i heard was that between episode 3 and 4 the clones became storm troopers, but as the clones died out the empire opened up academys for regular people to join and by episode 4 just about all the clones left were dead and the recruts from the academy over populated the clones as stormtroopers

I always find this debate to be really funny. I think it's more about preconcived notions then it is a real debate about the orgin of Stormtrooper. Some people have always believed since they were very little that Stormtroopers where all different people that came from Academys and what have you and they can't accept that Stormtroopers are in fact clones.

I actually was talking to a buddy of mine, who has been a life long SW since he first saw it in 77, and told him that there were people out there that didn't think Stormtroopers where clones. At first he didn't believe me, and it took some convincing to get him to believe that there were people that actually believed that. His only response was "Why would they think that?"

the empire had begun using different clone hosts as well as conscripts as stormtroopers

so the conscripts could have been different people so they may not have all been clones, either way since George redid the DVD version to make the troopers sound the same and plenty other hints, I know that stormtroopers are supposed to be clones but not in my universe, like others I think they all died out after the clone wars, and the Empire had to use normal soldiers

What i heard was that between episode 3 and 4 the clones became storm troopers, but as the clones died out the empire opened up academys for regular people to join and by episode 4 just about all the clones left were dead and the recruts from the academy over populated the clones as stormtroopers

no academies, just lots of cloning!

"as a side note, by the time of NEW HOPE. the empire had begun using different clone hosts as well as conscripts as stormtroopers"

Ummm....you DO realize that conscripts are people taken in by conquering armies to become soldiers, right? Which, of course, means that some Stormtroopers were NOT clones.

Jeez. Way to get worked up over nothing!

the empire had begun using different clone hosts as well as conscripts as stormtroopers

so the conscripts could have been different people so they may not have all been clones, either way since George redid the DVD version to make the troopers sound the same and plenty other hints, I know that stormtroopers are supposed to be clones but not in my universe, like others I think they all died out after the clone wars, and the Empire had to use normal soldiers

Search your feelings. you know its george's universe, not yours! ;)

"as a side note, by the time of NEW HOPE. the empire had begun using different clone hosts as well as conscripts as stormtroopers"

Ummm....you DO realize that conscripts are people taken in by conquering armies to become soldiers, right? Which, of course, means that some Stormtroopers were NOT clones.

ah-ha.............didnt catch that one. good call.

ok, so thats it. the stormtroopers were both recruits and clones.

ok, im done! @firedevil@

It's a mix of the two. The article right there states it blatantly. Clones AND conscripts form the ranks of the stormtroopers. You can debate which one makes up the bulk of their forces, but it's clear from the prequels that the clone troopers were eventually reformatted into the stormtroopers and the Insider has also stated that conscripts (non-clones) also supplemented their forces.

ok, im done! @firedevil@

So this information makes your original statement kind of pointless, no?

As a kid I always thought the Stormtroopers were normal people. Once AOTC came around, I still thought the ST's were normal people, with some Clones mixed in. That was the most reasonable way to explain why the OT troopers had differing heights and voices.

since George redid the DVD version to make the troopers sound the same

The Stormtroopers in the DVDs are not all the same voice. This roumor was on the internet before the release of the DVDs but was (thankfuly) false.

since George redid the DVD version to make the troopers sound the same

The Stormtroopers in the DVDs are not all the same voice. This roumor was on the internet before the release of the DVDs but was (thankfuly) false.

well i suppose that makes them clone cus in the ROTS visual book it says the clones have aqquired different speech.

ok, im done! @firedevil@

So this information makes your original statement kind of pointless, no?

As a kid I always thought the Stormtroopers were normal people. Once AOTC came around, I still thought the ST's were normal people, with some Clones mixed in. That was the most reasonable way to explain why the OT troopers had differing heights and voices.

not really. I had always said that the stormies were clones and othesr said they were recruits. now this just cements but both stories into one. sorta like the old REESES PEANUT BUTTER CUP commericals!

not really. I had always said that the stormies were clones and othesr said they were recruits. now this just cements but both stories into one. sorta like the old REESES PEANUT BUTTER CUP commericals!

My bad then. I guess I read too much into your topic title and your first few posts in the topic. It seemed to me that you were implying that all Stormtroopers were Clones - so spoketh Lucas - until it was pointed out by Daredrummer that the articles you quoted from SWI actually mentioned the use of both clones and recruits and then you changed your tune.

The problem with this 'answer' is that it comes from the writers of the SW Insider, but not necessarily Lucas.

As I went into in the other Clone thread, I believe it's LFL's 'job' to sort of cover both grounds, because prior to AOTC's release they had already established in the EU that some stormtroopers may not be clones, and LFL tries to make everything fit into one continuity as much as possible. This answer, of stormtroopers being both clones and recruits is, IMO, 'playing it safe' so as not to invalidate any of the EU.

The movies, which tell a story that is capable of standing on its own, express Lucas' own themes. Taking the movies by themselves, I think it's quite clear that stormtroopers are meant to be clones.

I think that Lucas didn't have a choice in ANH regarding the different heights of the troopers, due to budget constraints, he had to deal with the casting he had, however, this new info is a novel way to explain the dillema.

My bad then. I guess I read too much into your topic title and your first few posts in the topic. It seemed to me that you were implying that all Stormtroopers were Clones - so spoketh Lucas - until it was pointed out by Daredrummer that the articles you quoted from SWI actually mentioned the use of both clones and recruits and then you changed your tune.

of course. but I only changed half my tune.

Subsbribe today!

I have better things to do with my money like save up for a family vacation or buy one of my daughters something..

And I agree with hamsterboy..

I've always believed it's a little from column A and a little from column B.

Subsbribe today!

I have better things to do with my money like save up for a family vacation or buy one of my daughters something..

$40 is too much for you? plus you get all the fringe benefits.

Subsbribe today!

$40 is too much for you? plus you get all the fringe benefits.

With everything I collect and my other hobbies and doing things with my family, I would have no time to read it. I had a subscription in the mid 90's and cancelled it because I was not reading the books.

Not everyone can base their lives on collecting or Star Wars, Star Trek, Transformers, etc, collecting them is just a hobby for me.

I do have a life outside of collecting.