Been Looking At The Sigma 6 Stuff

RobbieDigital

I've been looking over the Sigma 6 stuff from the con...and we're finally getting a look at what the cartoon is going to look like. I'm adding my thoughts to what I think about the figures and for some reason I just kept thinking about "Transformers Armada" and "Energon." Granted I'm not a Transformers fan (I think they are cool but I've never really gotten into them) but maybe you guys can see where I'm coming from. Is this just one of many new incarnations of GI Joe over the next few years?

The Transformers have never really gotten back to what made them so popular in the first place IMO. Meaning old school Transformers......Sigma 6 to me is just like Transformers Armada....meaning updated Anime influenced animation. Which is also dumbed down IMO. I'm not completely hating on Sigma 6 I wanted to give it a chance but it just looks terrible to me. I'm pretty sure the red head in the black body suit is Scarlett.....not to mention Duke being something like a Navy Seal on the back of the packaging, plus Snake-Eyes looking like a robot..... to me its just awful. I guess I just miss the good ole days.......oh well at least I got halfway through season 2 to keep me happy. #US1#

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think from what we've seen so far, there is nowhere near enough stuff to make a decision about the cartoon at this point.

Those who attended the 'con may have more to go on and even JayC seemed really positive about what he saw.

I don't like the designs.......I don't need to see animation......granted I'm not completly writing anything off here but its similar to whats been going on with the Transformers in recent years. If Sigma 6 fails will we see another incarnation.....I mean its already been going on....we just haven't had an animated series to complement the toy line. I don't like the fact that Scarlett looks like Jean Grey from X-men Evolution......Granted I haven't seen it but everyone thought the stuff that they showed a couple years ago was sweet too.......the movie was called Spytroops. Plus I'm really not diggin the Asian style animation either. I know thats all the rave right now. ( or the last couple years) But I've never really been a big fan of it.

I've been looking over the Sigma 6 stuff from the con...and we're finally getting a look at what the cartoon is going to look like. I'm adding my thoughts to what I think about the figures and for some reason I just kept thinking about "Transformers Armada" and "Energon." Granted I'm not a Transformers fan (I think they are cool but I've never really gotten into them) but maybe you guys can see where I'm coming from. Is this just one of many new incarnations of GI Joe over the next few years?

The Transformers have never really gotten back to what made them so popular in the first place IMO. Meaning old school Transformers......Sigma 6 to me is just like Transformers Armada....meaning updated Anime influenced animation. Which is also dumbed down IMO. I'm not completely hating on Sigma 6 I wanted to give it a chance but it just looks terrible to me. I'm pretty sure the red head in the black body suit is Scarlett.....not to mention Duke being something like a Navy Seal on the back of the packaging, plus Snake-Eyes looking like a robot..... to me its just awful. I guess I just miss the good ole days.......oh well at least I got halfway through season 2 to keep me happy. #US1#

You are forgetting that the audience for transformers is smaller now that it was "back in the day".

The advent of the internet and game platforms have drained away a large amount of the audience for TV and toys.

The stuff really cannot "get back to where you remember it" because there's really not a whole lot to get back TO.

What you mean when the cobra/decepticons would attack & the autobots/joes would foil there plans of world domination?:)

Those story lines?:)

LOL

Ok Gijoe was slightly better than that but still :D :D

What you mean when the cobra/decepticons would attack & the autobots/joes would foil there plans of world domination?:)

LOL

@loll@

No, I mean that some of the cartoons on right now, like Justice League, have some pretty engaging storylines (not to mention multiple story arcs spread out across several seasons). They aren't all specifically "kiddiefied" stories.

What you mean  when  the cobra/decepticons would attack & the autobots/joes would foil there plans of world domination?:)

LOL

@loll@

No, I mean that some of the cartoons on right now, like Justice League, have some pretty engaging storylines (not to mention multiple story arcs spread out across several seasons). They aren't all specifically "kiddiefied" stories.

Yeah thats what I mean.....I have a feeling that this is going to go the way of kiddified stories and I just think that a lot of Joe fans heads are going to explode when they first see this stuff come september. I realize that nothing will be the same either......I just don't think Joe fans are going to like the Sigma Six animated series. I also don't like the BATS on steroids thing.

How original is this...?

animescarlett4sb.png

Anime? A childs face, on a sexually enhanced female body? :rolleyes:

This is the issue I have with the whole anime thing, as I think it is inherently evil in it's concept and the fact that it's aimed at children (in this instance) is pretty disturbing, to say the least.

The face on this (Scarlett?) female character is the same on EVERY female character in anime drawings and sometimes even for the male characters. It all seems pretty cheap and unless it's hokey and stoopified, like a Dragonball Z cartoon, it's going to be inappropriate for children, which most of anime isn't truely intended for anyway.

Seems like a sneaky way for men, who like young girls to look sexy, to indulge themselves in that fantasy, under the guise of an animated cartoon. <_<

If this Sigma Six line and it's cartoon series is TRUELY intended for the "kids" (mostly young boys) I have to say, I have my concerns.

How original is this...?

animescarlett4sb.png

Anime? A childs face, on a sexually enhanced female body? :rolleyes:

This is the issue I have with the whole anime thing, as I think it is inherently evil in it's concept and the fact that it's aimed at children (in this instance) is pretty disturbing, to say the least.

The face on this (Scarlett?) female character is the same on EVERY female character in anime drawings and sometimes even for the male characters. It all seems pretty cheap and unless it's hokey and stoopified, like a Dragonball Z cartoon, it's going to be inappropriate for children, which most of anime isn't truely intended for anyway.

Seems like a sneaky way for men, who like young girls to look sexy, to indulge themselves in that fantasy, under the guise of an animated cartoon. <_>

If this Sigma Six line and it's cartoon series is TRUELY intended for the "kids" (mostly young boys) I have to say, I have my concerns.

You hit it right on the head man... All Anime which is 99% Japanese based looks like this... Girls face on some out of this worlds womens body with over-sized breasts...

Just to defend the look of Sigma 6....

Some people put the Bruce Timm DC animated stuff up on a pedestal. However, don't all the male characters have the same build? Same thing with the female characters. All Bruce Timm stuff looks like Bruce Timm stuff.

Gonzo is a Japanese comany. Hasbro knew this. They wanted something unique (in terms of GI Joe) for their Joe relaunch. They went with a Japanese company for that. They got a Japanese look. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. It is different, when compared to previous GI Joe cartoons.

Frankly, the old GI Joe cartoons aren't pretty things. The animation is just okay. The storytelling is terrible. We all look fondly on them, because of nostalgia. That's it.

Other than the Bruce Timm stuff, can anyone name another American looking cartoon from recent years that is even worth talking about? The new TMNT cartoon is good storywise, but the animation is just standard...nothing much to be proud of. What outstanding examples of American animation are there right now?

The reason so much "anime" is coming over here these days is simple. There are far more Japanese animation companies than American. They're cheaper. They're more experienced. There's more product. Even the Bruce Timm stuff is animated overseas.

I understand people not liking the designs, but we've been told that the animation itself won't be so anime styled. They only showed some designs, not pics of the animation itself. Look at the designs for Zartan and some other characters. They aren't that stylized. I think a lot of people are jumping to conclusions based on a few pieces of artwork and not clips of the animation. Also, I think Gonzo (the Joe animation house) is used to aiming shows at teenagers, so we probably won't get anything to childish.

We've also been told that S6 won't be specifically for kids. It's supposed to please both kids and older fans. It's also supposed to have a continuing story arc through the first season. . I have a feeling that it'll be the best Joe cartoon yet.

We should be seeing some clips of the show (maybe a trailer) at SDCC. They had a trailer for Venom Vs. Valor at the last show, so I'm guessing we'll see something next month in San Diego. Hopefully, a lot of people will be eating crow.

BTW, regarding the exaggerated shapeliness of animated female characters, where have you guys been? Almost all female comic characters have giant breasts and tiny waists. They're faces are all almost the same. Same thing with other animated female characters. Have you guys seen small breasted female Disney characters? It's endemic of our society and the entertainment industry in general. It's not unique to Anime.

We should be seeing some clips of the show (maybe a trailer) at SDCC.  They had a trailer for Venom Vs. Valor at the last show, so I'm guessing we'll see something next month in San Diego.  Hopefully, a lot of people will be eating crow.

hey good point. here's lookin' forward to comic-con.

Almost all female comic characters have giant breasts and tiny waists.

pssh, i ain't complainin'. @smilepunch@

BTW, regarding the exaggerated shapeliness of animated female characters, where have you guys been? Almost all female comic characters have giant breasts and tiny waists. They're faces are all almost the same. Same thing with other animated female characters. Have you guys seen small breasted female Disney characters? It's endemic of our society and the entertainment industry in general. It's not unique to Anime.

It's not unique to anime, just accentuated (to a perverse extreme) by it.

Like I said, most of this anime stuff is more for the young adults and NOT kids. Anime for kids is more like the Dragonball Z or Pokemon stuff, or going back to the old Speed Racer days.

G.I.Joe cartoons for adults, in anime style, would be more like the Ghost in the Shell series.

Sigma Six is being aimed at the kids, according to Hasbro, but from what I'm seeing, they're adding enough sexual elements, to attract some perverted adults as well.

Being a TF (mainly) fan I admit that the overall feel of the Joe line has many parallels to Energon and Armada. I believe all three are produced by Gonzo, and they all share similar thematic elements. The recent TF cartoons have been written off my fans as being childish, poorly animated and even more poorly written and from the info I've gleamed concerning S6 I feel very uneasy. The figures are a definite departure from the traditional 3 and 3/4 line, as are the character designs. I'd wait a bit longer to see some product (cartoon) before passing judgement though. But one thing irks me. Does anyone see the inherint problem with the "real American hero" being produced in Japan? Nothing wrong with the Japanese but it would be like new samurai anime suddenly being produced by Disney, WB, and Mainframe. It's just not right.

tgb

as long as the action rocks, i'm good to go! @rambo@ @pun@ @ray@ #tank#

But one thing irks me. Does anyone see the inherint problem with the "real American hero" being produced in Japan? Nothing wrong with the Japanese but it would be like new samurai anime suddenly being produced by Disney, WB, and Mainframe. It's just not right.

The original Gi Joe cartoon was also produced in Japan, if I remember correctly.

As for the styalized women in anime go...

I think it has to do with a cultural style than anything else. anime has used the "Big Eyed" look for decades. It is a way to to show emotion, and facial expressions to a higher degree. Also, the Japanses manga, and anime producers generally have very short deadlines, as opposed to their American counterparts, so simpler character designs speed the animation process up quite a bit. This is not to say that anime are generally less detailed, actually its quite the contrary. Just take a look at the backgrounds and scenic(sp) shots in many anime, and I'm sure you'll be suprised by the detail that is included.

From what I've heard from those who actually saw the preview of the new animated series at the convention, Sigma 6 is for all intents and purposes a genuine Anime series. While the subject material's roots are firmly American, Hasbro decided to let Studio GONZO animate this show like it was another Anime series.

And from what I've seen of their Transformers series I'm very much looking forward to Sigma 6. The new Transformers: Cybertron series is the first TF show they have worked on. Armada and Energon were both done by different companies, and both shows were handeled sloppily, both in production and their eventual translation for American consumption. But with the new G.I. Joe series we'll be getting a Japanese Anime series tailored specifically for an American audience.

JayC, Were-Cat, Eagle-Eye Joe all of them saw the preview for this new Anime series and all I've heard so far is good praise, so I'm confident that the Sigma 6 Anime is going to not only going to be as good as the original Sunbow series but perhaps even surpass it.

I have no problem with GONZO handling the G.I. Joe franchise because I'm confident they'll remain true to its American roots. Disney does animated fairy tales from all over the world, and a lot of the stories in those films they don't even get right.

As for the female proportions thing . . . in what visual entertainment venue for male audiences are women NOT portrayed unrealistically. The only difference between Japan and America is that, there the breasts are animated, here their real but pumped with silicon. If you addressing the age thing, I doubt this be a major issue for the kids watching (if it was Yu-Gi-Oh would have been pulled off the air a while ago) and for the older collectors, hey I'm not going to complain that the Joe and COBRA ladies actually LOOK attractive. One more thing we haven't seen since the 80's.

Gonzo is a Japanese comany. Hasbro knew this. They wanted something unique (in terms of GI Joe) for their Joe relaunch. They went with a Japanese company for that. They got a Japanese look. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. It is different, when compared to previous GI Joe cartoons.

Unique: Definition- being the only one of its kind. IMO if they wanted something unique they should have went against the idea that kids these days like anime and only anime (style wise). While I like the Timm stuff I think people are mostly looking at the writing that backs up the animation in most of DC's cartoons. I'm sorry but the storylines in either of the past 2 animated films were really dumbed down. What was the name of the studio that did the 90's Spider-man for FOX? I thought the animation for that show was great. At least the female characters looked different in the face and all don't have the doe-eyed look to them. I just think that taking something that is as american as apple pie and giving it the anime treatment in wrong too.

I'm just saying that it seems like Hasbro has been reaching for a way to get GI Joe back to a high status.......and they are just copying what is a trend right now. Wasn't it the originality and difference from everything else in the 80's that made RAH so popular anyway?

Man...I'm just looking to be entertained.After seeing Sigma Six in person and such,I'm excited and looking forward to it.I could careless about "big anime boobs" or whatever.

Yeah, but you're not a "kid" nor a parent to any! ;)

South Park is "entertaining" to some people as well, and while it's a cartoon, and a cartoon is something typically associated (previously) with childrens entertainment venues, it's not appropriate for children at all. As a parent, it's been weird trying to explain to my kids, why they can't watch a "cartoon".

Hasbro claims to be marketing the Sigma Six line and the new cartoon towards "the kids" EXCLUSIVELY and with great commitment to it, yet I see this cartoon as being something more along the lines of what a MUCH older following of anime supporters would like.

If they want to drop the "it's for the kids" crap, and market this anime stuff towrds the adults, like it should be, then I have no problem and would actually be VERY interested in seeing what an adult oriented Ghost in the Shell kinda G.I.Joe cartoon would be like.

If it's TRUELY "for the kids" I would prefer it be DUMB, just like the Dragonball Z/Pokemon crap, and not full of the baby-faced big boobed images associated with adult perverted anime. Hell, OF COURSE it's going to entertain us ADULT Joe fans, if that's the case, but it shouldn't be promoted as a kids cartoon then.

I dont think you will have to worry about not letting your kids being able to watch it. My main concern at this point is that the stories are good enough and the voice actors are decent. If Hasbro gets those to right then I think we will see a good show.

Man...I'm just looking to be entertained.After seeing Sigma Six in person and such,I'm excited and looking forward to it.I could careless about "big anime boobs" or whatever.

Yeah, but you're not a "kid" nor a parent to any! ;)

South Park is "entertaining" to some people as well, and while it's a cartoon, and a cartoon is something typically associated (previously) with childrens entertainment venues, it's not appropriate for children at all. As a parent, it's been weird trying to explain to my kids, why they can't watch a "cartoon".

Hasbro claims to be marketing the Sigma Six line and the new cartoon towards "the kids" EXCLUSIVELY and with great commitment to it, yet I see this cartoon as being something more along the lines of what a MUCH older following of anime supporters would like.

If they want to drop the "it's for the kids" crap, and market this anime stuff towrds the adults, like it should be, then I have no problem and would actually be VERY interested in seeing what an adult oriented Ghost in the Shell kinda G.I.Joe cartoon would be like.

If it's TRUELY "for the kids" I would prefer it be DUMB, just like the Dragonball Z/Pokemon crap, and not full of the baby-faced big boobed images associated with adult perverted anime. Hell, OF COURSE it's going to entertain us ADULT Joe fans, if that's the case, but it shouldn't be promoted as a kids cartoon then.

Justice League is not written down for kids--but the toy-line is aimed squarely at them.

Sponge Bob is incredibly silly, but its humor tickles kids and adults. Its dumb, but its never been dumbed-down.

The Simpsons has been a prime-time show that accessible to all-ages for its entire run.

Why should Sigma Six be dumbed down for children when it can cross demographic boundaries if its written well to begin with?

Honestly, this just sounds like complaining for the sake of complaining.

Give it a rest.